Blazer ammo ruined my Anaconda, what would you do?

PDA

Escobarclan
May 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hello everyone. Has anyone here been able to get an ammo company to repair or replace your gun? CCI's Blazer ammo did this to my Colt Anaconda:164472

If you enjoyed reading about "Blazer ammo ruined my Anaconda, what would you do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
May 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. It's probably repairable, judging by what little I can see, but obviously it will never be new again.

drsfmd
May 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
1) Prove that it wasn't a defect in materials that the gun was manufactured with.

2) Prove that it wasn't there before you used Blazer ammo.

3) Prove that it was caused by Blazer ammo.

If you can't unquestionably prove all three points (and you can't), there's simply no way you'll ever get a response from Blazer.

Now, that said, my suggestion to you would be to buy quality ammo with brass cases in the future.

BCCL
May 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
Talk to them and show them your pictures, Remington replaced a Ruger Redhawk .44 for someone I know after some of their 240gr. jhp's damaged his barrel. (bad load left a bullet in the barrel, next shot sent a bullet into that one and goose egged his barrel in the middle)

RickMD
May 14, 2012, 11:13 AM
I think you'd have an uphill battle proving that the Blazer ammunition caused the damage.

SlamFire1
May 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
I would find customer service at Blazer and send the pictures. It sure looks to me as though that case head rupture did something.

If Blazer does not agree, then the costs of litigation would probably exceed the value of the pistol, but you are talking about an out of production Anaconda, and those are not cheap.

If Blazer does not agree to fix the pistol, then you will have to determine if the cylinder is ruined or not.

Obviously I cannot tell if you have burn through the cylinder. From the pictures it looks like melted aluminum. Maybe a reamer could cut out the melted aluminum. As long as the cylinder is not cracked, stretched, ruptured, than the cylinder should be structurally OK.

I had heard that aluminum cases were subject to burn through, don't know if your unfortunate accident is due to a flaw in the material, or is due to the material.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
May 14, 2012, 11:43 AM
I would have Colt or a very well know gunsmith verify the damage and write a letter saying what they believe damaged the weapon. Then turn that over to CCI. My father had a Python explode in his hands. The winchester ammo was the culprate. He sent the pieces to Colt, they contacted Winchester ( mind you this was in the late 70's early 80's) and Colt sent him a brand new 2.5" snub nose Python in Royal Blue, which I thought was out of production but I might be wrong. It even had his original serial number stamped but had a prefix or sufix added. I know Winchester did not want to replace it but he was lucky enough to have Colt test the same box of ammo( he sent in with the pieces of the Python) and they deemed it unsafe to use.

Seamore2001
May 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
You received some good advice over the weekend on the Colt Forum. Send a well written certified letter and the same by regular mail, to CCI legal department, stating what happened and what remedy you expect from them. Let them know, in a professional manner, the circumstances and that you have documentary proof (photos and video of the event and damage). Hold onto the remaining ammo and box - they'll probably want that. You were also told that another person had something similar happen with CCI ammo and that they ended up replacing the firearm.

Give them a chance to make it right, starting this morning.

DPris
May 14, 2012, 12:14 PM
Glock has quietly replaced pistols over the years that blew, and in some cases NOT with defective ammunition.
Other companies have their own policies.

You'd be farther ahead by contacting Speer than by nosing this around on various Internet gun forums in the court of public opinion. :)
Did you contact them yet, as you were saying you planned to do this morning?

You were angry on the Colt Forum, but you had not given Speer a chance to respond.
Denis

Loosedhorse
May 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
In a Colt gun, and now it is damaged...any you're going to go after the ammo company.

Either Colt customer service must really have an awful reputation, or I'm detecting some love for Colt...and love is blind.

;):DIf Colt says yes then CCI will pay ALL costs for shipping, parts, and repair to Colt's standards.So Colt gets to determine if it pays for repair or Speer does? Seems pretty generous of Speer.

drsfmd
May 14, 2012, 02:10 PM
I'm highly skeptical that Colt or CCI could actually back that up. You could have been shooting ANY ammo... there's just no way to PROVE that it was CCI/Blazer ammo that caused this damage, and therefore, you'll end up getting the runaround from them.

Colt... well, the gun is at least 13 years old, and the damage could have happened long ago. They might be willing to help you out with it, but they certainly don't owe you anything.

firesky101
May 14, 2012, 02:15 PM
CCI makes top notch ammo, I am glad that their CS seems to be up to the same quality. Keep us updated.

Havok7416
May 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
That cylinder and the spent casing would seem to indicate exactly where the problem started (with the ammo). The burn marks line up from the cartridge to the cylinder wall. I stopped shooting Blaser aluminum for a very similar reason (cracked case, no damage). I didn't realize it could get this bad though!

To answer the OP, I would definitely be writing CCI!

Master Blaster
May 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
CCI is most likely aware they had a bad batch of ammo and have had several similar claims. They are a very large company and they sell lots of ammo and wish to continue to do so. It is much cheaper and better business for them in the long run to pay to repair a firearm than to deny the claim. The legal fees, should you decide even to take them to small claims court in your state, would far exceed the cost of repairing the gun.
Folks posting that you are out of luck, know nothing about manufacturers liability or the cost of legal fees and bad press.

Let us know how it all turns out, and good luck.

CraigC
May 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee but by what mystical forces exactly does a split case erode the chamber like that??? Are CCI Blazers powered by anti-matter now?

451 Detonics
May 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
I don't think the chamber is corroded but rather has some aluminum plated to it from the case. I can't tell if the star is damaged or just dark from soot. Colt should be able to fix the issue.

Gordon
May 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
Looks to me like CCI will step up to the plate if you dot the i s properly as to be expected.

rcmodel
May 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
I agree it is very likely aluminum stuck to the chamber.
You can see it bridging the gap between the chamber and extractor star in the photo.

I simply can't imagine a failed case gas cutting a steel cylinder like that in one shot at handgun pressures.

rc

Jim Watson
May 14, 2012, 04:29 PM
I have a 9mm chamber scored nearly that bad by a burnthrough Blazer. The burn pattern on the aluminum case is similar, although smaller because of the smaller powder charge.
I can't blame CCI because I was shooting ammo that had been exposed to fumes and water/steam in the fire after The Incident. Trying to get some good out of stuff that only LOOKED normal. I put up with misfires and even ordinary split cases, but this one blowtorched the case and the gun. No more, I am gradually pulling it down to salvage the bullets.

Loosedhorse
May 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
That cylinder and the spent casing would seem to indicate exactly where the problem started (with the ammo).To me, it looks like some metal is missing from one of the charge holes.

Are you are saying it came from flame-cutting, from one round of Blazer ammo with a weak web? Could be.

Or the defect in the charge hole was already there, then since the case was unsupported, one of the cases might have finally let go (and maybe made the defect a bit worse).

I'm not sure which; Jim Watson seems to agree with you.

Gordon
May 14, 2012, 05:37 PM
I think at 30 K pressures and above aluminum has a pyrophoric effect (believe that is the term) where it enhances the flame cutting of steel. What you get is a plasma of aluminum that reacts somewhat to the iron in the steel and you get 'gas cutting' to an extent. Anyway no doubt CCI will step up if properly documented.

Rampant_Colt
May 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
...and this, folks, is why my Anaconda is a safe queen! :uhoh:

Grmlin
May 14, 2012, 06:03 PM
Well I guess I'll be watching my cylinders if I use the CCI I have. I have some .357 rat/snake shot and some 45 Colt. I don't think I've even had a split case so far. I'll be a little more alert to the possibilities, but this is a possibility with any ammo. Good luck with getting you revolver repaired.

Orion8472
May 14, 2012, 06:07 PM
So, . . . . is the bottom line here. . . .don't used aluminum cased ammo in revolvers? What about in pistols?

Double Naught Spy
May 14, 2012, 06:20 PM
So, . . . . is the bottom line here. . . .don't used aluminum cased ammo in revolvers? What about in pistols?

Nope, and they work just fine.

Escobarclan, your Anaconda isn't ruined. You have a damaged cylinder is all.

Assuming that this is a genuine "Blazer ruined my gun" claim, such claims are very rare. I would not see this as a reason to not use Blazer.

BCCL
May 15, 2012, 12:25 AM
Nope, this is not a blanket indictment against using Blazer aluminum in revolvers, I can't even begin to count the thousands of rounds of .357 and .38 I've shot in them since Blazer Aluminum came out, and never had a case rupture. (had 1 in .45 acp in a 1911 though, no damage to the gun)

jdh
May 15, 2012, 01:38 PM
Them: Preexisting defect in the chamber caused the case to rupture.
You: It was not there before the case ruptured.
Them: Prove it.

Hammerdown77
May 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm going to agree with the folks that have said send it to Colt first before dealing with CCI/Blazer.

Send the gun to Colt with the cases that ruptured, and maybe the rest of the box of ammo those came in. Let Colt determine why it failed. If they say "yep, it was the ammo," then you have a stronger argument when dealing with CCI/Blazer.

CraigC
May 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
Personally, I would NOT be so quick to send it to Colt. Yes, they did make the thing but they also stopped making the thing and if they do not have any leftover parts, they will not be able to fix it. If the sixgun is irreparable, you won't get it back. A gunsmith will return an irreparable firearm to its owner, a manufacturer won't.

If the aluminum is simply stuck to the chamber, clean it off and go on about your business. I cannot see a ruptured case damaging a cylinder that was not made out of chocolate.

...and this, folks, is why my Anaconda is a safe queen!
No offense but that is just plain silly.

Centurian22
May 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
I'm very impressed to see that it appears they will take care of everything and keep you a happy customer. I would definitely take away from this to use at least better quality ammo in guns that could potentially be irreplaceable. That being said I'm all to aware of financial restricttions and the thought processes it can lead to.
Good luck with the rest of the process.

Salmoneye
May 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
I don't think the chamber is corroded but rather has some aluminum plated to it from the case.

That's all it looks like in the two pics provided...

1KPerDay
May 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
Contact them, send them pics, send them a link to this thread, be polite. You may be surprised.

Escobarclan
May 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
Well guys, I definitely appreciate all the feedback. The cylinder has been "gas cut". Part of the original cylinder wall is missing. CCI is doing everything they can to get my gun fixed. They are paying for everything. One problem though, I've talked with Colt and they don't have a replacement cylinder in .44 Mag, only .45LC.

I've found 1 place that has only 1 cylinder and it's used. Colt will still install it but I'd rather find a new one, or at least another source for used ones just in case the used one I've found can't be fitted.

I CAN tell you this, the boys at coltforum.com are great to talk to. They have an extensive wealth of Colt knowledge at that place.

Any help with locating an Anaconda cylinder would be greatly appreciated.

Gordon
May 16, 2012, 10:43 AM
Time to have it converted to .45 Long Colt I say!:D
If Colt has a cylinder and a barrel, r their cylinder and get it bored out if they don't have a barrel.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
I had an issue once where I got a piece of metal in a packaged cookie I had just bought and chewed into the metal piece (about the size of a BB) and broke a molar.

I was honest with the nationally-known company and called them. I guess they have full-time attorneys for just such incidents. I carefully noted everything --- then I did something really STUPID! I trusted the company to "take care of me!"

Before speaking with my own attorney, I mailed the documentation of just what happened, the package, the receipt for purchase of the cookies, everything (evidence) to the company!

Then, I went to see an attorney. He asked me where the metal piece is. I told him I already sent it to the company that manufactured the chocolate chip cookies.

He immediately told me that was the wrong thing for me to have done. I have basically let the company have THEIR WAY with the outcome by doing this. He said they will most likely pay for any damage to my teeth THAT HAPPENED AS A RESULT OF THE METAL, however, they will most likely NOT COVER any other expenses.

He was 100% correct in his assessment of what would happen!

Over the course of about 2-3 months, telephone calls and emails back-and-forth to and from "the company" and I FINALLY ended up with a whopping $160, (the total cost to repair my tooth)! I did not get any money for the time I spent making phone calls nor did I get any money for documenting everything and mailing everything Certified with a Return Receipt. I also did not get any money for "pain and suffering" and I also did not get any reimbursement for the time I had to take to go to my dentist to 1) see the problem and identify it and 2) have the dental work done.

Best thing to do is talk to an attorney BEFORE YOU COMMIT YOURSELF TO DOING ANYTHING ELSE!;)

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
Oh, I forgot.
AFTER they settled and I had to sign off on the settlement, I got a big box shipped to me.

They were so kind to mail me a sampling of single-containers of all of their products (about an $18.95 value), plus five coupons totaling no more than $5.00!

Wow, what a nice company!

:barf: :eek: :confused: :uhoh: :(:banghead: :fire: :cuss: :scrutiny: :evil: :mad: :what: :neener:

788Ham
May 16, 2012, 11:39 PM
I'd let Colt do the looking around, they might have better sources for a newer one! Either way, hope you can get it fixed and its shootable again!

Friendly, those elves will get you!!

Havok7416
May 17, 2012, 06:53 AM
I wonder if it is possible (read SAFE) to load the other 5 or 4 cylinders and fire the gun.:what: I know, I know, I am evil just for thinking something like that. The .45 Colt conversion would be pretty cool in my book but the ammo is more expensive and less powerful for factory loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blazer ammo ruined my Anaconda, what would you do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!