Glock 17 2nd Gen used or NIB Taurus 24/7?

PDA

el Godfather
May 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
Dear THR,
My friend in a different country called me for an advice on what to buy as the dealer close to his location has very limited imventory and it is very difficult to get permit to buy a weapon. The dealer is offering him brand new Taurus 24/7 and Glock 17 2nd Gen + 2 extra magazines used good condition for a same price tag.

I advised him to go with G17 used unless he has problem shooting it. Unfortunately the dealer does not have the facility to try weapons nor is he open to the idea of people firing his weapons.

I would like to know which one of the two guns would you pick?
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 17 2nd Gen used or NIB Taurus 24/7?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iblong
May 14, 2012, 04:35 PM
Personally I like the gen II frames,in fact I had a gen 3 17 also .I sold the 3 and kept the 2,I have no personal exp.with that modle of Taurus but would
still go with the proven gen2 17.mines never missed a beat.

7mmsavage
May 14, 2012, 04:58 PM
I voted Glock, for ease of use and simplicity of design. Also a factor is the limited supply at the gun shop. Parts and service may be in short supply in his neck of the woods too. Both should be easier to find for a G17.

mljdeckard
May 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
I will one day snatch up a used (other than gen 4) Glock from a pawn shop when I see the right deal.

meanmrmustard
May 14, 2012, 06:46 PM
Glock, merely for simplicity, robust design, and when it's TEOTWAWKI, Glock parts will be plentiful.

C0untZer0
May 14, 2012, 09:10 PM
Who voted for the Taurus ?

meanmrmustard
May 14, 2012, 10:02 PM
Who voted for the Taurus ?
Didn't you hear? They're letting monkeys use computers!:neener:

dubya450
May 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
Lol +1 Meanmrmustard

Go for the g17, its reliable, simple and in 50 years a legendary gun!
I'd buy a broken g17 over a NIB Taurus auto.

mgmorden
May 15, 2012, 12:09 AM
Many people could probably make do with a Taurus, but realistically the Glock is heads and shoulders above it - pretty much a better gun in every regard. Once he puts the first box of ammo through the Taurus its a used gun too, so for the same amount of money in a week's time he'll either have a used Glock or a used Taurus. That's a pretty obvious choice IMHO.

Warp
May 15, 2012, 12:36 AM
No choice at all. Glock > Taurus

fatcat4620
May 15, 2012, 08:04 AM
Glock times 1,000,000^1,000,000

JoeMal
May 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
Glock times 1,000,000^1,000,000This

Wishoot
May 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
Considering if you had any problems with the Glock, you could probably cheaply fix it yourself with you're eyes closed.

Taurus 617 CCW
May 15, 2012, 09:03 AM
Depending on what part of the world your friend resides in, there is regional support from Glock on most major continents.

plouffedaddy
May 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Taurus has improved their QC in the last couple years but a Gen2 Glock is nearly indestructable. Even if you had an issue, Glock will fixt it for free and pay shipping both ways. Hard to beat that!

The_Armed_Therapist
May 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
I LOVE the 24/7s and currently own one. I just can't vote against Glock. LOL... It's definitely more of a "sure" thing. The Glock I currently own was a police trade-in and I've shot around 1,000 rounds through it without a single problem of any kind.

el Godfather
May 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
I am glad that most of the members here agree with me on Glock.

Nushif
May 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
Between a Gen2 and a Taurus ... I'd take a Taurus. Worst case scenario, they replace it.
Specifically the 24/7 is actually a pretty darned decent gun.

Now a Gen 4 ...

Sgt_R
May 16, 2012, 03:15 AM
If I could only own 1 firearm, it would be a Glock.

R

mdauben
May 16, 2012, 10:55 AM
Between a Gen2 and a Taurus ... I'd take a Taurus. Worst case scenario, they replace it.
Specifically the 24/7 is actually a pretty darned decent gun.

Now a Gen 4 ...

Personally, between a like new Gen2 and a new Gen4, I would chose the 2 every time. Aside from the endemic QC issues with Glock's Gen4 guns, I dislike the finger grooves on the Gen3 and Gen4 guns. IMO Glock peaked with the Gen2 guns, but that's just my opinion.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
Glock.

Nushif
May 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
I dislike the finger grooves on the Gen3 and Gen4 guns.

Funny enough, I really like them, and when they removed some girth from the grip with the Gen4, they actually started fitting my hand.

Overall though, a good Taurus usually has the better ergonomics for my hand size, still.

coalman
May 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
The Taurus vs. a sharp stick would take some thought. The Glock 17 vs. Taurus at the same price not.

Erik M
May 17, 2012, 12:38 AM
Glock all day every day. Taurus autos (other than the 92 series) take a back seat to other manufacturers , not just for aesthetics but I owned a 24/7 in .45 that had ejection problems, and a Millennium series .40 that hit about 6" to the right off point of aim at 21 feet. Diddnt help that it had those horrible Heinie 8 sights. I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

sfed
May 17, 2012, 12:54 AM
I own a 24/7 Taurus long slide in 40 cal, 5.2 inch barrel. I really like that pistol, never a problem. The only thing I do not like is the sights are only adjustable for windage. Other than that it is a great pistol I just adjust my aim to compensate for it shooting a bit low. I also like the single action/double action also, the first shot is double action and then single after that, it may be just me but knowing the firing pin is not waiting to go adds a bit of peace of mind to me any way!! I also own a Ruger SR 40 and it is a sweet shooting 40 cal also

2zulu1
May 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
The G17 reached iconic status from the beginning, given the two choices, I don't even see a reason to even hold the Taurus.

JR47
May 19, 2012, 04:35 PM
To many who haven't decided that Glock resembles the Messiah, the 24/7 is much more ergonomic in grip angle.

As far as fixing a Glock with your eyes closed, the local gunsmith agrees that many people do just that, then bring it to him.

The various Glocks in the 2nd Gen have been duty guns for how many decades? Many are in less than perfect condition today, and a newcomer to shooting isn't necessarily capable of trouble-shooting the problems.

Today, the many Glocks out there are being subjected to the same amateur gunsmithing as the various 1911s. Be careful what you recommend unless you've actually seen what is being discussed. The words that you put on-line are all that anyone sees. No gun design is fool-proof. We grow new, better, fools, every year. :)

meanmrmustard
May 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
^^^Most smiths in my neck of the woods would agree with this "blind repair" you speak of, just up until you start putting Tauri in stables with Glocks. You'd be lucky to ONLY be laughed outta their shop.

Also, if any of us picked our weapons solely on Internet fodder, we'd all be not so much screwed as confused. One thing I will say, pick a Taurus over a Gen2, carried by an officer that may practice on occasion, but possibly a bit more or even less than the average range buff, and you are...how'd you say...a new fool?

There are, I'm sure, better pistols out there now that give Glock a hard time. Taurus 24/7? Not so much. And I'm basing that on MY experience, not some kid with user name xxx420xx on some obscure web forum.

otasan56
May 20, 2012, 08:21 PM
Go with the Glock!

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 17 2nd Gen used or NIB Taurus 24/7?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!