DA/SA 9mm with nice trigger?

PDA

Buck13
May 15, 2012, 04:44 PM
I'm looking for an accurate 9mm auto for recreational range shooting at 25 yards. High priority given to a clean and light SA trigger break. The DA pull doesn't concern me as much. Concealability or light weight is not really an issue. I need to make a short list to find for test shooting, so help me out with your experiences. No SAO.

I was at the range last weekend with my .22s, a Ruger MkII and a K-frame S&W, as well as on old family relic Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20, which reminded me how much my enjoyment of shooting is affected by the trigger. The Colt is pretty clean but quite heavy, and even if the ammo wasn't crazy-expensive, I wouldn't want to shoot it that much. My favorite is definitely the Smith, because the trigger is nicer than the MkII (not that the Ruger is terrible). So, I know I'll be sorry if I get a 9mm that has a heavy or creepy SA pull.

If you enjoyed reading about "DA/SA 9mm with nice trigger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
May 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
You don't offer a price range, but when thinking of a DA/SA 9mm with a nice trigger, the first thing that comes to mind is a SIG 226ST.

It has a stainless steel slide and frame or you can save some money and go with the 226R which has an alloy frame. They are both stunningly accurate and usually have excellent triggers.

If you want to go the other way (more money), I'd also highly recommend the SIG X-5 Allaround. It is all stainless steel, has a 5" barrel and adjustable sights

pat701
May 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
Sig P226 for range gun.

ku4hx
May 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
"Nice" is subjective and therefore hard to judge for others. A nice trigger on a combat gun is around 5-7 pounds for me, A nice trigger on a hunting pistol (my Ruger 44 Magnum SRH) is about 3.5 pounds and a nice trigger on a target .22LR is maybe 3 pounds with no discernible creep or over travel. But that's just me. Also for me, no double action is acceptable. I'm a single action kind of guy, I do love my 1911 and it's nice trigger, and I've come to accept that.

In a sense it all depends on how much cash you have to spend on your new toy, and are you willing to pay a master gunsmith for a worthy trigger job done to your specifications. Or as nearly so as possible. Or are you expecting a "nice" trigger out of the box?

Kymasabe
May 15, 2012, 05:09 PM
I've had a Sig P226 and was gonna be my first recommendation as well. GREAT guns, very accurate, very comfortable.

Second choice would be a CZ75 Combat, don't know if ithey still make it, might have to search around for one if they don't. Has a much simpler trigger system than the standard CZ75 and with a little love, polishing/jewelling can end up with a very light, very crisp trigger.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

9mmepiphany
May 15, 2012, 05:15 PM
I almost mentioned the CZ, but I was reading the OP as asking about a stock "out of the box" trigger...and every CZ I've shot has needed work to be considered nice

Atom Smasher
May 15, 2012, 05:20 PM
Go with the CZ 85 Combat. I know it's not super-nice OTB, but you can drop in the custom hammer from Cajun Gun Works (Kit #3 I think?) yourself and have a really smooth, awesome trigger on a moderately priced solid 9mm. Slap on the $10 reduced weight DA spring and it's wicked awesome!

usp9
May 15, 2012, 05:25 PM
If you can find the HK USP Elite model in 9mm, it has a very nice match trigger and is a reliable tack driver, as is it's similar Expert model. Two excellent, accurate, high capacity and robust guns with a very smooth trigger.

9mmepiphany
May 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
I thought of the USP also...very nice trigger... but wasn't sure if the OP wanted to get into the polymer world. Plus I've always found the grip of the USP a bit square and the checkering overly sharp

Buck13
May 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
Polymer frame is OK. Aluminum is probably ideal, since I wouldn't mind a little less weight than a steel frame, but this is pretty far down the list.

Yes, I'm thinking decent out of the box. I guess a little work would be acceptable, but it's kinda the point to find something that I can expect will be OK by default.

Not that I expect it to be quite as light and crisp as my S&W. But it would be nice to find something that doesn't drive me nuts without shooting every pistol in the world.

tk1971
May 15, 2012, 06:46 PM
Sig 226. Both my shooting buddies have one. I have a 228, and the trigger is as good as I can find out of the box.

Telekinesis
May 15, 2012, 06:50 PM
I've also got to recommend a P226. I have a 228 and it has a very good SA with probably one of the best DAs I've felt apart from a good S&W revolver.

SigMic
May 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
Another vote for Sig P226.

Shawn Dodson
May 15, 2012, 07:24 PM
There's no such beast as "SAO".

It's "Single-Action". It cannot function in any other mode of operation.

ptb351
May 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
I love the trigger on my 226.

mavracer
May 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
STI GP6 has the best SA trigger I've ever felt on a SA/DA pistol.

Telekinesis
May 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
"DA/SA" is dumbed down terminology for the ignorant to describe a pistol with a double-action trigger mechanism (i.e., a "double-action pistol).

Maybe you would like to explain to Sig just how ignorant they are when they call their own weapon a "DA/SA"?

A revolver is a double action pistol. If you start off decocked and just pull the trigger until the gun is empty, all shots will be double action.

A Sig is both double action AND single action. If you start off decocked, the first trigger pull will be double action, but each subsequent pull of the trigger will be single action because the hammer is cocked each time the weapon chambers a new round.

oso
May 15, 2012, 08:22 PM
FNH model FNX in 9mm, very good trigger

Fishbed77
May 15, 2012, 10:02 PM
Walther P99AS.

Best DA/SA trigger money can buy.

The Sig P226 trigger is nice, but it doesn't even compare. The Walther "Anti-Stress"" DA/SA trigger is much smoother and crisper. It has a shorter reset as well.

sigarms228
May 15, 2012, 10:06 PM
For hammer fired DEFINITELY a SIG such as the P226 or even SP2022. My son was pretty much stunned how much nicer any of my SIGs trigger was than his CZ SP01 which has about 2000 rounds through it.

For striker fired a Walther PPQ (SA only) or P99 AS - which emulates hammer fired DA/SA very nicely!!

Pukindog12
May 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
Another vote for the Walther P99AS.

1SOW
May 16, 2012, 01:58 AM
9mmepiphany: I almost mentioned the CZ, but I was reading the OP as asking about a stock "out of the box" trigger...and every CZ I've shot has needed work to be considered nice
You can order it from the CZ Custom Shop with the 'very nice trigger' NIB. Cheaper than the X-5, especially accessories and parts..

Serenity
May 16, 2012, 03:11 AM
I just spent some time at the range today shooting the S&W k frame 38 special and the Sig 226. I shoot the revolver double action all of the time because I'd like to take it out for steel challenge someday (when I get a little more practice under my belt). The Sig I shoot the first shot double action when I draw and it is a smooth pull as well. I find them very similiar in feel and switch easily between the two.

Buck13
May 16, 2012, 03:29 AM
OK, thanks for the ideas. A local range has most of the guns mentioned for rental use, except the 2022, so I can shoot at least 5 of these. Probably I'll throw an M+P or SR9 into the mix, too, just to go against my grain and try a DAO. :eek:

dubya450
May 16, 2012, 03:32 AM
My favorite DA/SA 9mm is the FN FNP-9. Its a VERY nice shooter. Try to rent one, I'm sure you'll agree. Far better than Sigs or some HK's (my opinion of course)

Pilot
May 16, 2012, 06:13 AM
Order a CZ from the Custom Shop or get an Omega trigger on one. They are very nice out of the box.

bannockburn
May 16, 2012, 06:30 AM
My best out of the box DA/SA trigger would have to be the one on my SIG P229E2 with the DAK trigger set up.

jblackfish
May 16, 2012, 07:37 AM
Another vote for Sig P226.
...and another.

skt239
May 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
IMO, it's hard to beat Sigs DA/SA trigger.

TonyT
May 16, 2012, 09:29 AM
If your priority is a clean breaking trigger in Sa and excellent accuracy at 25 yards then the two guns I would choose would be either a Dan Wesson PM-9 (1911 style) or a S&W Model 952. I have both and they do fit you bill. I also shoot Sig 226 Sport, S&W M&P9Pro, S&W99, CZ-75 and PO 18-9 in 9mm. Thge P018-9 has a very wide grip but otherwise has accuracy just shy of my Dan Wesson PM-9.

340PD
May 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
W.German 226
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/SigP226.jpg

May 16, 2012, 10:20 AM
SIG P239 with the short reset trigger or a P225/P6 would be my vote.

"DA/SA" is dumbed down terminology for the ignorant to describe a pistol with a double-action trigger mechanism (i.e., a "double-action pistol).

:rolleyes:

2wheels
May 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
I know it's not what you want but since it's specifically a range pistol and your biggest priority is a clean and light SA trigger break... Why not go with a SAO pistol? Clean and light SA trigger pulls is what they tend to do best. Just a little curious.

But, if it's DA/SA you want I'll throw in another vote for the P226 or really any Sig for that matter. Sig tends to do pretty good in that area, my fathers brand new P220 really impressed me with its SA pull, though the DA pull seemed a little rough and no doubt needs to be broken in.

JTQ
May 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
Wow, 33 posts into a thread about DA/SA auto's and no mention of the Beretta 92 yet? Where's Shipwreck anyway?

usp9
May 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Wow, 33 posts into a thread about DA/SA auto's and no mention of the Beretta 92 yet?

The 92fs I have has a fine trigger and I didn't mention it only because it isn't quite as good as the HK match trigger I mentioned. But the Beretta trigger is indeed sweet.

tuj
May 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
y'all forgot the 5906. Good DA pull around 11lbs, very nice SA break just above 3lbs, and accurate too.

BTW, you can substantially improve the trigger on your Ruger MKII with the Volquartsen kit.

Proud Southern Son
May 16, 2012, 03:45 PM
Beretta 92. It's just about perfect with a "D Spring", but I've never picked one up that didn't have a good single action pull out of the box. The Smith and Wesson 5906 may have a better double action pull (out of the box), but a not quite as clean single action pull.

chiappa1911
May 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
Im gonna add in the ruger p95 because i like the trigger on them and thier reliable

holdencm9
May 16, 2012, 05:28 PM
Beretta 92. It's just about perfect with a "D Spring", but I've never picked one up that didn't have a good single action pull out of the box. The Smith and Wesson 5906 may have a better double action pull (out of the box), but a not quite as clean single action pull.

This ^^ the SA pull out of the box was pretty good for me. The DA pull was heavier than I liked so I did the D-spring mod, and to my surprise it lightened the SA pull just a touch as well. Now I'd call it perfect.

modifiedbrowning
May 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
In my experience:
1. Walther P99 AS
2. Bersa Thunder 9
3. FNP 9

jon_in_wv
May 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
Are some of you guys ACTUALLY being snobs about trigger terminology? Really?

dubya450
May 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thats what i was thinking as well Jon_in_wv. Seems like every thread has to have one of those over critical guys in it. Never fails!

jon_in_wv
May 20, 2012, 08:11 AM
Wow, 33 posts into a thread about DA/SA auto's and no mention of the Beretta 92 yet? Where's Shipwreck anyway?

I've always though the 92F had a really smooth trigger. Supposedly you can put in a lighter mainspring and get it even nice without compromising reliability.

nevadabob
May 20, 2012, 09:55 PM
My vote is for the Caracal 9mm with quick sights. Good prices are out there right now. I bought one via Gallery of Guns. What I like best is its "ergo" feel.

9mmepiphany
May 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
My vote is for the Caracal 9mm with quick sights. Good prices are out there right now. I bought one via Gallery of Guns. What I like best is its "ergo" feel.
It doesn't have the DA/SA trigger that the OP asked for

coalman
May 21, 2012, 10:56 AM
I almost mentioned the CZ, but I was reading the OP as asking about a stock "out of the box" trigger...and every CZ I've shot has needed work to be considered nice

I owned a CZ Custom Shop gun and a stock CZ. The Custom Shop trigger was impressive and the "work" to smooth out the stock gun was shooting it. The P226 is very nice. And, the 92fs SA trigger is smooth, but the reset is pretty long IMO. The P226 offers more availability of cheaper parts and better selection for a accessories. I do like the feel of CZ 75 though. Tough call.

ifit
May 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
you should also consider the CZ P07 Duty, great trigger out of the box. and then will eventually smooth out better after breaking in, and cant really beat the price for one. i had a CZ SP-07, now that was an awesome pistol until....:(

Bentonville
May 21, 2012, 05:18 PM
Beretta with D spring is very good imho.

LTR shooter
May 21, 2012, 09:55 PM
I really like the triggers on both of the 9mm Sigs I own - a compact P239 and a P226. The SA triggers on both are quite good for out of the box defensive pistols. My P239 might have a slight edge in the SA pull , the P226 in DA is amazingly smooth. The P239 is 15 years old , the P226 just a few months old.

About the only semi-auto pistols I've owned that I shoot better with than my Sigs has been an Clark Custom 1911 and my rimfire target pistols.

My friend says his Beretta 92 is quite a shooter. I fired a HK USP that was quite accurate but in 45 ACP.

Cherokee
May 22, 2012, 07:51 PM
I was impressed with the quality of the trigger pull on the Springfield XDm 5.25 Comp 9mm I purchased last year. Was better than expected and I shot it well. Later I put in a Powder River ultimate trigger kit and the trigger got even better. My experience, never tried a bunch of the other guns mentioned.

Yarddog
May 22, 2012, 08:24 PM
"[y'all forgot the 5906.]"

Great choice for the 3rd Gen S&W, Great guns at great prices JMO ; )
Y/D

IMTHDUKE
May 22, 2012, 11:13 PM
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/P30.jpg

eerw
May 22, 2012, 11:58 PM
SP01 Shadow Custom Target black.
out of the box custom gun. awesome trigger. easy to shoot.

JTQ
May 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
Cherokee wrote,
I was impressed with the quality of the trigger pull on the Springfield XDm 5.25 Comp 9mm I purchased last year. Was better than expected and I shot it well. Later I put in a Powder River ultimate trigger kit and the trigger got even better. My experience, never tried a bunch of the other guns mentioned.
I borrow 9mmepiphany's comment from earlier in this thread (about another striker fired pistol recommended)

It doesn't have the DA/SA trigger that the OP asked for

If you enjoyed reading about "DA/SA 9mm with nice trigger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!