Home defense stories.

PDA

dbrown
May 15, 2012, 07:06 PM
I would like to hear some home defense stories. the time you heard something go bump in the night.

If you enjoyed reading about "Home defense stories." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jeepnik
May 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
Heard bumps. Never worried about it. Years of working odd ball shifts, with a wife and wee ones at home , have resulted in learning to make it difficult to darned near impossible for someone to enter uninvited. It's all about having layers of protection "outside" the house. In short, if someone gets inside, you have failed.

Texan Scott
May 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
My wife and I have had a few 'incidents' over the years. The first was when I was 23 and living in ghetto apartments (E-3 salary) off post. Some random guy, stoned out of his mind, bug-eyed, incoherent, profane, and mostly naked, kicked my front door down at 1 in the afternoon. I was on night watches, so i'd been sleeping; thankfully, my wife and kids were out of the house. if i'd woken suddenly to my wife shrieking and a half-naked man in the house, i'd pobably have shot him without thinking. As it was, he evidently was not expecting to walk into the bedroom and find a skinny white kid in underpants and a high-n-tight haircut pointing a 9mil. He ran like a schoolgirl. I called the cops and threw up. We moved, and I've kept animals in the house ever since. Even my wife's CATS have alerted us to people sneaking up to the porch at night (but that's a different story). Bottom line, have animals (preferably dogs, even yappy little ones) so that your first warning isn't the door breaking in, and of course, have a gun you can get to and use under stress.

JohnB
May 15, 2012, 10:00 PM
The kid across the street called and woke me up around midnight one night to tell me someone was messing with my boat that was in the side yard. I tried to slip out the back with my .45 but my pit bull ran out between my legs and got to the guy before I did...

cor_man257
May 15, 2012, 10:28 PM
My fiance and i had some trouble with people breaking into our place while we weren't home. It happened frequently. Trouble was, they broke in and did nothing. Nothing was ever missing.

I had changed the doorknob on the backdoor (the one we use most often). I changed it because the door didnt seem to be latching right. My fiance and I got home one afternoon from shopping and as I went to close the door behind me, I noticed that the new doorknob was no longer flush with the door. I knew I had made it flush. I looked at the outside and sure enough crowbar marks. Nobody was around it was 4 in the afternoon.

This was freaking me out. One night in bed I thought I heard something so I got up. The dome light in my pickup truck was on. I got up, and got my little .22 Marlin (at the time it was 4 shells of 12guage target loads or ten shots from a .22). My girl got the more important item. The phone. I told her to wait in the house, and I went outside. I saw someones shadow under my truck. I walked around the truck to greet them and didnt see anyone. I started to walk back to the house and saw them from the corner of my eye, they snuck in some tall weeds around the driveway. I told my fiance to call 911. She did. I went to the part of the drive way and this guy crouched in the weeds and stared at me. I informed him that it was in his best interest to leave in a hurry. I blantely stated "I can see you". My blood was pumping and he was creeping me out being so still. I decided I had enough, and went right for him pointing at him with the Marlin. The whole time I yelled. He all the sudden ran off.

The police arrived, I told them what happened. I told them if someone came into my house to hurt us, they would be left dead on the kitchen floor. The cop told me that would be best.

It didnt stop people from breaking in. My fiance moved in with my parents while I deployed. She was afraid to be there alone. On my 2 week leave from deployment my fiance and me were laying in our bed when I heard something. We had no phone, because nobody was living there really. No cell service. Being home from Iraq I was already on high alert for no reason. It sounded like someone walking around outside and tapping lightly on windows in the kitchen. I got up, armed myself. Turned on everylight in the house and room cleared. I felt so stupid doing it. Couldnt sleep well but went back to bed. 15 minutes after the lights were out, someone hit the bedroom window so hard I cant believe it didnt break. I jumped out of bed and had a gun in my hands nearly before I realized why. Pointed my 12 gauge toward the door and my fiance dressed. Then she pointed to the door while I dressed. I opened the door to outside, and she got in the car. I walked slowly behind the car with the shotgun while she drove down the drive. At the end, I hopped in and we drove away. We slept at my parents. And went back in the morning. Window had crack lines. My 4th day of leave. The rest we slept at my folks.

After I got home from deployment it kept up. We had company and went out to eat with them. I specifically said lets make sure the lights are off and lock the doors. We did. We got home at 11pm. Every light in the house was on, and the door was unlocked. Called the cops again. When the cop found out Im an MP he seemed to take us alot more seriously. I told him Im just making a paper trail.

It kept happening at least once a week after I got home. Outside lights smashed, noises. Doors open when we got home... I know they got in the house. But they never took anything, or moved anything. I have no idea why they were doing it. And thats really unnerving. I got word from some people that my fiance's step mom (who didnt like me much) had some bums from the bar mess with us until I came at one with marlin. My landlord let it be known around town that screwing with us at night was a good way to wind up dead. Yet it still happened later. We eventually were on good terms with the mother-in-law and it still happened.

We moved to go to college. No more issues. But I have got a new gun that I trust more than my .22lr.

MedWheeler
May 16, 2012, 08:04 AM
Shortly after moving into our current home, I was sitting up around 9PM one night watching the tube one night. Our storm door was closed and locked, but the inner hard door was open. A car occuppied by four subjects who were of a different race than am I pulled into the driveway. At least two of the subjects were male, and one was female. The gender of the fourth was not apparent. We were expecting no visitors. As the driver opened his door, I appeared at mine, holding a pistol alongside my thigh. It was most likely visible to them. He called out, without ever fully exiting the vehicle, that they might be at the wrong house, and went on to say that some friends of theirs had just moved onto the street. Indeed, a household of members of his race had moved into a home several lots down the road. I pointed that house out to them, and they pulled away. The car did stop near that house, but I didn't watch any further.
So, is that a "home defense story"? Maybe... maybe not...

Double Vision
May 16, 2012, 08:39 AM
Scary stuff.
That's got to be a tense situation when you have to arm yourself to protect life & property.
Be safe folks.

StrutStopper
May 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Last night at 3:00 AM my dog went ballistic. I was out like a light but my wife woke me up. I grabbed my .40 and went to check on what had my dog on alert. I saw and heard nothing but he never does this without a reason. I kept that .40 close.

This morning I was heading to work and saw what had set the dog off. I asked my daughter to put out the recycling bin when she went out last night so I wouldn't forget this morning. There were empty cat food cans strewn about my lawn. There had to be a raccoon or something in that bin making noise. At least I know the dog is on the ball...

Sambo82
May 16, 2012, 04:08 PM
A couple of years my wife and I (newly married) had a break in. I forget what time it was exactly, but it was in the middle of the night and my wife was asleep in bed. I was droning away on the internet. We were renting out two of our rooms to friends of mine who were due to get home from work soon, so the front door was unlocked. I didn't think much of it when I heard someone walking through the house. When the bedroom door cracked I turned around just in time to see it close right away.

Curious, I got up and left the room in time to see my friends army camo assault pack on the back of a stranger heading out my front door. Without really thinking about it I just ran after the guy, I didn't grab my pistol or anything. He got just outside of my yard when my "HEY!" made him stop and slowly turned around. Turns out the guy was the local semi-homeless fellow that I had helped out before. I had given him money when he asked for it and offered to let him mow my yard etc for a few bucks. Being a Christian I had talked to him about God before and I sincearly thought we were something of friends. I suppose I was a little nieve.

Needless to say was flabberghasted. He dropped the pack on the ground lowered his head and kind of paced back and forth. It seemed kind of like he was sort of weighing his fight or flight options. Really I was more shocked and dissapointed than angry or afraid. I told the guy that my friend who's pack and belongings he had just stolen had just got back from a year in Iraq. I basically laid a guilt trip on him and asked him what God whould think of his behavior before telling him to just leave.

In hindsight that was a bad idea. I called the cops right afterward and found out that quite a bunch of other things were missing from my friend's rooms. DVD's, cartons of cigarettes etc. To this day I don't know how he got so much out so quickly. I think he hid most of it nearby and I simply caught him on his last trip out. Anyway the cops knew him pretty well. It turned out he was not only part of the local meth economy, but he was also one of those Islamic black nationalist types.

It probably goes without saying I learned several lessons. Mainly of the door locking, trusting strangers type.

ldsgeek
May 17, 2012, 02:24 PM
Not my home but a pair of missionaries, both young ladies, from my church (I'm LDS and there are missionaries everywhere) called one night saying there was someone around their apartment. I showed up and checked to make sure they were ok, then went to check for the prowler. A young man, late teens to early twenties, was trying to look into the windows. He took off as soon as I called out to him, but as far as I know never returned. The two ladies were moved to a different area shortly after and the apartment assigned to a pair of male missionaries.

brnmuenchow
May 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
When I was about 15 or 16yrs. old I happened to be at the house alone, right around 1:00am as I was watching TV. I heard a noise at the front door. I muted the TV. got up and saw the front door handle jiggling, knowing that it could not have been family or roommates that night I ran to my room and pulled out my .22lr pistol and butterfly knife slipped around back to catch whoever it was off guard and do what... don't know I was a stupid kid and forgot to call the police on the landline! (of course back then cell phones were about the size of your arm and too expensive to own.) Anyway the intruder decided not to break in, maybe he heard me or something I don't know... I was very lucky. On a positive note after that incident I decided that on my first tax return when I was old enough to legally own a gun, I felt that I needed something with a little more umph! than a .22lr pistol so I purchased my very first Colt "Python" .357 Mag. and boy was it well worth it.:D

MedWheeler
May 17, 2012, 03:20 PM
Twice, at the same motel in Richmond, Virginia (during the same ten-day stay), I had incidents worthy of recollection. The first occurred my second night there. A whole crew of traveling paving contractors from Allentown, PA, had taken up residence in the rooms surrounding mine. Loud, wife-beater-wearin', beer-swiggin', gut-sportin', slobs made up the lot of them. My phone rings. Pick it up, and it's one of these guys yelling "hey, <removed>, I saw you checkin' out my wife; I'm gonna kick your @--!" Turns out he was trying to kid around with one of the others, but rang up the wrong room. Later that night, someone begins pounding on my door. I look out the hole, Taurus 66 in one hand, and see one of these buffoons, about 4 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier than I am, standing outside. I'd seen him in the lot earlier, and knew he was with this crew. He hits the door again. I moved to the window next to the door, made myself visible, and shouted "you've got the wrong room! If you come through that door, I will fire!" He apologized profusely, stumbled away, and moved further down to another room.

Havok7416
May 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
I had at least 2 guys try to break into my 8th floor apartment years ago. I've posted parts of this elsewhere on THR but here it is again in full. I was sitting at my computer one night around 11:30pm with my headphones on when I heard some noise outside my door. When I took my headphones off I could hear two guys talking back and forth. The first one asked the second one "Are you sure it's 806?" to which the other guy said "Yeah. I'm pretty sure he's home." I grabbed my shotgun and sat there waiting for them to go away. I watched the door move a little in the frame and figured that was that. A few seconds later they picked the lock as I was watching. At that point I jumped up and jacked a round into my shotgun. Their exact words were "OH <removed> HE'S GOT A GUN" and then the sound of their footsteps pounding down the hall. I never did figure out who they were or why they WANTED me to be home.

ApacheCoTodd
May 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
Experiences?... Yup. Post 'em on the internet forever and everyone?... Nope!

Franco2shoot
May 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
Posted a long time ago

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6504404&postcount=35

KKKKFL

Ryanxia
May 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
Some interesting stories. I like reading actual events sometimes because it kinds of reminds you in the back of your head that your safety bubble can burst at any time so always be prepared.

Skribs
May 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
I lived with my parents while going to college and a few years after. Because I can't carry at my job, I had to wait until I got home to grab a carry piece.

I came home one day and the alarm wasn't on, I would first go to my room and grab my handgun, and then go through the house. Everything always turned out to be okay, Mom just forgot.

Another time, I came home, no cars in the driveway (we each have our own car, so no cars = no one home). I saw someone was using the shower when I went into my room. Grabbed my handgun, then went up to the door and said "HELLO!" Turns out it was my Dad, his car was at the shop.

The only time I wish I had one was when my neighbor's dog jumped the fence and attacked my dog (neighbor rot, my lab).

Unistat
May 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
I was woken up one night by a loud !CRACK! My gun was in my hand before I was 100% awake. My first conscious thought was to put on my glasses and I was already holding my gun at that point.

I checked out my house, calling out that I was "armed and that they better leave!" No one was in my house.

The next day I noticed the house next door had a broken window. It was vacant and for sale. I called the cops and told them I heard a noise the night before. They investigated and found that the house was broken into, but no damage and nothing taken (nothing in there anyway.)

That's it, fortunately.

T.R.
May 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
My sister-in-law survived the Detroit Riots with her Marlin 22 auto-loader. She shot two of approx seven men who broke in one evening. One was hit in the mouth: he lost most of his tongue, several teeth, and paralyzed left side of his face. The other man was struck in the chest. He ran out of the house with the others but died on the front lawn.

Rioters burned down her house that night but she'd already left town on the advise of a wise Detective. Insurance paid off and she came out ahead.

So it goes.

TR

KingMedicine
May 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
One day, me and my roommates were in the living room having a beer and hanging out. Nothing too wild. Suddenly, a guy proceeded to open the sliding glass door and let himself into the house. Everyone kinda looked at each other since random invitees were not that rare, but then we realized he grabbed some stuff and was letting himself out. We proceeded to tackle the guy and find 4 more outside with there pickup. They had drove thru the back fence and started packing up our stuff in the back yard.

5 tweekers were no chance against 3 guys covered in tattoos... they got thumped a bit and drove off empty handed, and were caught a few hours later when we took down the Licence plate.

gamestalker
May 18, 2012, 08:51 PM
Kidnapped 4 times, 2 attemps to blow my car up, robbed more times than I can recall, physically beat and burned, I've had a gun shoved in my face at least 3 times and thought for sure I was going to die, had a serial killer living with me and didn't know it until after he had been convicted.

I wear a gun every waking moment of every day. I sleep with my .357 under my pillow and a Charles Daley 18 1/2" barrel 12 ga. next to me. I don't travel to states that don't allow me to carry. I also wear my firearm in every business I shop with, including my bank, and I don't shop where my gun is not welcome.
GS

kb58
May 18, 2012, 09:46 PM
My fiance and i had some trouble with people breaking into our place while we weren't home. It happened frequently. Trouble was, they broke in and did nothing. Nothing was ever missing...
Refering to Post #5, honestly, I'd almost think that your place was haunted... and I never say that sort of thing... creepy.

dubya450
May 18, 2012, 10:25 PM
@ kb58, that's exactly what I was thinking. Thats just too strange that it never stopped and nothing was stolen or messed with. Good stories, I started a thread about the same thing about two weeks ago and only got about 3 replies :(

coolluke01
May 18, 2012, 10:43 PM
About 9 PM on a hot summer night, window wide open and all the lights on in our two story house, I heard the roll up door to my cube van work truck roll up in our back yard. I ran to the 2nd story window and saw someone about to climb in the back. I, in my deepest voice, yelled "Get the hell out of my truck." This scared the guy so bad that he ran into the side of my garage and ricocheted off the truck and into the side of the garage again. He looked like a pinball bouncing from garage to truck.
I called the police and followed two guys a short ways about 2 blocks back. They rummaged around in another pickup in someones yard and then appeared to go into that house.
The cops came and I told them what I saw.
The next day I went to that house and confronted the person that came to the door. They didn't know anything about it and were very upset that someone had been in their truck too. The two from the night before must have walked around the house where I couldn't see them when I thought they went in.

What amazes me is how stupid these guys were. With all the lights on and all the window open they tried to break into my truck 50 feet from my back door!

MedWheeler
May 18, 2012, 11:54 PM
Kidnapped 4 times, 2 attemps to blow my car up, robbed more times than I can recall, physically beat and burned, I've had a gun shoved in my face at least 3 times and thought for sure I was going to die, had a serial killer living with me and didn't know it until after he had been convicted. :what:

Come on, here.. you can't tell us all this and not elaborate some..!

Inebriated
May 19, 2012, 12:21 AM
I was about 17 at the time... I heard a couple taps coming from my room, which was odd... It was summer, and my windows were up to let air in.... I realized no one was home (it is always someone else making noise, so it took a second to register)... I tried to quickly and quietly get the Glock 21 from my parents' bedroom, since most of our guns are in a safe in my room, and I obviously couldn't go get my 12 gauge. So I walked down the hall, and I hear more of that noise that sounds (to me) like a screen tearing... I glance at the picture across the hall I use kinda like a mirror, and nothing... walk in, and bam...

The biggest Bee I've seen in my life, just bumbling about into the fan. I nearly opened fire, but I suspect that 230 grain slug would have just bounced off that golf ball with wings...

kb58
May 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
What amazes me is how stupid these guys were.
Be thankful for stupid criminals - it's the smart ones that are the real problem.

SimplyChad
May 19, 2012, 12:17 PM
Living in el paso on a PFC and SPC pay ive had some run ins. Most were as simple as say something and watch them run. Some not so much. I came back from a FTX to find someone trying very hard to get my couch out my from door, people trying to still my CIF stuff from the cab of my truck. One rather ballsy guy tryed to load my motorcycle up in the bed of his truck when I was BBQing with some friends in sight of it. Stupid Stupid things.

LongTimeGone
May 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
About a month ago I was sitting at my computer in my office at about 9pm when my grown daughter came halfway down the stairs and said she heard something outside.
I told her to stay there and grabbed the pistol sitting on my desk.
I walked toward the back patio when my wife came out of the bedroom and said she heard the pool screen door slam followed by the privacy fence gate to the front yard.
I went out the front door and searched the yard but didn't see anyone.

I figured he saw me holding my pistol through the patio doors and took off.
There was a 3 foot 2x4 from the yard on the patio table close to the large glass french doors.
I'm glad the daughter has better hearing than me.

ViniferaVizslas
May 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
1. In college. Had a house with 3 other guys. They were from that state I was not. They all went home one weekend. I went out with other freinds, came home went to bed. I always locked my bedroom door. Mostly so roomies wouldnt mess with me while I was sleeping etc., it was habit. I woke up to my door rattling and was a bit out of it. Opened it to see big fat sweaty guy. His eyes got real big and he started saying sorry and I escorted him out. Lesson learned: no gun, shotgun was unloaded in the closet behind a dresser I had in there. Roommates cam back and one asked who'd been sleeping in his bed while he was gone. third roommate lived in the basement and had left the side door unlocked.

2. Almost forgot this one. 1st Home, major city USA. Sitting in the back yard patio. There was a new condo building being build next door. I heard crunching on the gravel in between my 2flat and the building under construction. I thought it was someone just cutting through. The sound stopped. I went and got my SIG 230 and looked in between the buildings and there was a fugure on the ground. I pointed it and told him to get up - I'm not sure that he saw the gun. He got up and and walked out to the street. I went around the other way and there were 3 bicycle cops riding by (police station was 100 yards away on the same street). I told them what happened and they caught the guy but let him go despite his having a crowbar because he didn't actually break in yet. Posession of burglary tools is a crime as I found out later. Useless cops again. Garage was broken into twice and the second time my neighbor saw and called the cops. Took them 15 minutes even though the station was practiaclly on the same block.

3. Home, major city USA. House is on a 24' wide by 125' city lot. Bedroom is in back with a small balcony overlooking the tiny yard and garage. My first dog, a large male Vizsla started growling low and woke up my wife. She looked outside and saw nothing. He kept growling. A head poked out between my garage and the next. She woke me up and said a ######'s in the yard. I looked out for almost a minute and then I saw him look out again. My garage had been burglarized the week before but interupted by a neighbor with the guy seen riding down my alley on an orange furry bicycle (really) with my mitre saw over his back. I called cops and they filled out a report. I wouldn't have thought this guy would be hard to find given what he was riding. I told my wife to call the cops again this time, pulled on pants went downstairs. Wife refused to let me take the dog because he might get hurt - he was a big V 70 lbs and didn't like certain types of people - including me sometimes. Got my keys, went to the basement, unlocked the safe, pulled out my always loaded SIG P226. Went out the basement door in the back and saw the garage door was ajar. I gently kicked in the door with my bare feet and see a guy leaning in my truck door. He already had the overhead open to the alley. I yelled something like "Freeze or your dead". His eyes got huge and he took off running down the alley yelling "it wasn't me, it wasn't me" - utterly terrified. He was WAY faster than me. I half thought about shooting one into the telephone pole to make him never come back but thought better of it. My wife called my neighhbor after the cops and he came running out with a baseball bat. I used it to destroy the orange furry bicycle. Cops came about 15 - 20 minutes later and did nothing as usual.

Thoughts: A gun is loaded and in a push button safe next to the bed now. Another 1st. floor. Rest in the basement with one loaded. One in the truck on a secured lock box. When you need it it needs to be ready and close at hand. Also bring your dog in case they run real fast.

wagon.driver
May 19, 2012, 05:48 PM
I half thought about shooting one into the telephone pole to make him never come back but thought better of it.

That would have been a real, real bad idea.

mickeyblueyes
May 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
It was around midnight,I was sleeping,single at the time,in a so so neighborhood.
I was awakened to some one trying to crash thru my front door,repeatedly
So I jump out of bed buck naked grab my 38 chief special
I assume a combat stance ready to fire as the person came thru the door. I crept up and flicked the light on, ready on the trigger the whole time.
I peaked thru the certain and saw it was the woman next door.???? I said

So I put on pants and put my gun out of sight.

It turns out her husband was beating the crap out of her,and she was getting away. I might have capped his butt ,no sign of the chicken.

Luckily only time I ever had to draw.

Texan Scott
May 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
VV, look at it this way... you got in no trouble, nobody was hurt, that guy ain't NEVER comin back, and though your miter saw was a poor trade for his bike, HOW MANY GUYS CAN CLAIM TO HAVE BEATEN AN ORANGE FUZZY BICYCLE TO DEATH WITH A BASEBALL BAT?? :D

priceless memories!

mickeyblueeyes, i am a bit country... next time please use the word 'coward'; i just spent over a minute wondering how a chicken figured into the story.
(what was she doing with a chicken? her husband was upset about a chicken? what was... OOOOOHHH)

mickeyblueyes
May 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Sorry for the mix up tex,
I spent 5 mins trying to find a word that would not get deleted. Calling him a chicken is far to good, I got no use for men that hit women. And there are some fine lookin chickens in this world.

dubya450
May 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
Mickeyblueeyes, now I'm confused about the last line in your last post about "chickens" lol

mickeyblueyes
May 20, 2012, 12:18 AM
When I said there are fine lookin chickens in this world, I was talkin about them fancy Bantams, and those other ones with the big fethrs ,pretty colors.

Now if I was talkin about women I would have said chicks. Lol oki am personally locking this thread. Lol

dubya450
May 20, 2012, 02:27 AM
Lol oofta I thought you were reffering to other men :what: for a minute there!

smalls
May 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
While in highschool, I parked in the street, so my mum could get in/out for work. I hated it, because I drove a really fast (read, people wanted to steal it) car. I walked out of my house once at 1 am to pick a friend up from work (his car had broken down), and someone was crouched behind my car trying to get my door unlocked. We both shocked the hell out of eachother. I didn't know he was there, and he didn't hear me walk up behind him. One swift kick to the head had him lying on the ground so the police could come get him.

Turned out that he was a kid I went to school with, who saw me drive the car to and from school. He did a few years, because when the searched his garage he had about $20,000 of stolen parts.

Not really a "home" break in, but it was at home. :)

MachIVshooter
May 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
Kidnapped 4 times, 2 attemps to blow my car up, robbed more times than I can recall, physically beat and burned, I've had a gun shoved in my face at least 3 times and thought for sure I was going to die, had a serial killer living with me and didn't know it until after he had been convicted.

I don't mean to sound judgmental, but you need to:

1) Move!
2) Find different kinds of people to associate with and other places and hang out at
3) Work on situational awareness

TacoMalo
May 22, 2012, 01:58 AM
My wife and I along with our two dogs were living in Austin, I was traveling every week for work so I was not home very often. She called me one night and said someone had been knocking on the door to the apartment but every time she got up and looked out to see who it was nobody was there. She blew it off at first but what finally scared her was when both of our dogs stood up and stared at the front door she looked over and saw the doorknob moving, she freaked and called me and of course I was 1,000 miles from home. I told her to get the shotgun from the closet and rack it if that doorknob moves again, which about ten minutes later it moved and she racked the shotgun and it never happened again. the end. :)

ByAnyMeans
May 22, 2012, 10:38 AM
I have only had to use a gun once in a self defense situation. Their was no shots fired and the presence of the shotgun made the guy run.

It had just entered the summer when i was away at college. Me and a few others were moving myself and a female friend into an apartment we were renting for the summer. Where I went to school was funny. You turn one way out of the gates of the college and your at million dollar homes on the water but turn left and your in the ghetto.

It took us a few hours to unload and being one of a few guys and the only real big guy I had done most of the lifting. When we were all done everyone left to go run errands and grab supplies for a BBQ that night. I decided to stay back to take a cool shower and a nap.

People must have been watching us unload and then saw what they thought was everyone leaving because I took a quick shower and laid down, maybe fifteen minutes after everyone left I started to drift of to sleep.

I get woken up by glass breaking and I reach for the light by my head knocking it over in a crash to the floor. I take a second to listen and hear my roommates dog going nuts and so I peek at the window up front. It was actually a straight shot from where I was sleeping so it is not as if I went looking to see what was going on but rather focused my eyes and took it all in.

I see a figure outside the window and a hand through the broken window trying to undo the latch. He was obviously not concerned of the big dog inside or the fact that their was in fact a person home because he had to hear all the noise and still kept trying to get the latch undone. I grabbed my shotgun by the bed and racked it* as I brought it to my shoulder. Before I could even get it brought up to my shoulder the hand and shadowy figure where gone.

I never even reported it to the police. I did not want to have to explain where the shotgun was held prior to that day I moved in because it had been kept in my dorm room. It was an older type of window just like at the college and I was working maintenance over the summer so the next day of work I grabbed a window pane and some glaze and fixed the window.

* the discussion of keeping a round chambered in a shotgun should be kept for another thread.

JellyJar
May 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
Threads like this one are good to show anti-gun people how good guns are for protecting people from criminals.

ldsgeek
May 22, 2012, 11:37 AM
They wouldn't understand, even after reading all of this. They just aren't wired that way.

Skribs
May 22, 2012, 12:05 PM
They wouldn't understand, even after reading all of this. They just aren't wired that way.

Some will, some won't. What most antis hear is in the news about someone who shot someone in self defense. Sories where you scared someone off doesn't make national headlines.

Afelt.tech
May 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
No stories since owning a firearm, but I will gladly share the one that led to me buying one.

First and most important fact: At the time of this story I lived, worked, went to school, and spent my free time in Flint, MI.

While at our rental house just a few months after our wedding, my wife and I were in bed just about to fall asleep at 3 AM or so. Our doorbell rang, and being the naive 22 year old I was at the time, I got up, went to the door, and stuck my head right up to the glass to see who it was.

To my surprise, it was 2 large guys strait out of the ghetto... decked out in colors (Red... not sure what gang that goes with in this area) and an Impala in my driveway.

Mistake #2: I opened the door. I should mention they were outside of the storm door of my screened in porch, a good 10 ft. from the door. After a very short conversation, I told them to <removed> and shut and dead bolted the door to the house. That's when the scariness started.... pounding/kicking the door. Me with my 290 lb frame pushing against it.... Wife on the phone with 911. They showed up, 1 of them took off in the car but the other was taken in.

The next afternoon, I called my best friend... an avid gun activist and resident of Flint. He took me shooting at a local range. That led to me purchasing my first firearm: a mossy 500, my first pistol this last year, and taking my CPL class this coming June. The day we found out that we had a little one on the way (about 8 months from the incident) we found a new place. The old house has since been burned to the ground.

I am very thankful that things didn't end poorly for us, I would be lost without my family.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with Flint, I would encourage you to spend some quality time with google on the issue.

Godsgunman
May 22, 2012, 01:18 PM
Here's a story you all will probably find amusing. I first must preface it with saying that I've been an avid hunter and fisher since I can remember so owning guns is in my blood, my wife however is not a big fan of my gun owning.
Anyways, we had just had our baby girl and she was premature so she was in the NICU at the time. After spending the whole day at the NICU we were exhausted. Being fast asleep we are awakened by a large CRASH! It felt and sounded like someone broke down our door. Instinctively I grab my 45 from the bedside safe and wrack the slide. As I approach the bedroom doorway to see what was happening, my wife says to me "wait, where's your other gun?" I look at her kind of confused and say "why? I only need one." She looks back at me and says "but what about me, I need one!". LOL for someone who didn't like me having guns, when it came down to it, she wanted one when she thought she was in danger. Anyways it turned out no one had broken in, the noise was caused by the medicine cabinet falling off the wall in the bathroom.
I have never let my wife live it down, and she has changed her mind a little about me owning my guns :)

Skribs
May 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
Godsgunman, I LOLed.

Flopsweat
May 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Godsgunman, I LOLed.
Me too.

"But what about me?" :D

smalls
May 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
Afelt.tech, I completely understand what you say about Flint. I'd rather live in a cardboard box anywhere else than a mansion in Flint.

Afelt.tech
May 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
The sad part about Flint is that they are pouring money into the 4 blocks downtown to attract people to come in, but laying off LEO's and Fire by the dozen. My band played right downtown last month and I saw one cop, but several Lagarda Security "patrolling" the area.

If you go north 3 or 4 blocks you are in the thick of it, and even the "nice" new downtown area gets scary after dark.

Nice N Stinky
May 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
A couple of years ago I fell asleep on my couch when at 3 in the morning my chuahua started barking and licking my face. I woke up and saw a teenager grabbing my truck keys off the key hook. He took off running with my keys but didn't take my truck. Even though he was just a kid and wasn't armed it scared the living **** out of me. I've slept with a gun close by ever since that night.

irondavy
May 23, 2012, 10:03 PM
A few years ago I had an indecent, no shots fired but it sure made me glad to have the ol' shotty around.

I heard my chain link fence jingle around 2 AM. none of my neighbors have dogs so i thought it was weird. I quietly got up and put on some shorts and got the shotgun out of the safe and sat on the edge of the bed listening. Pretty soon I heard someone messing with the back door. I positioned myself about 10 feet from the door with a desk for cover. I yelled something suggesting that they wouldn't want to come through the door and the bad guy split.

I was so nervous i completely forgot to call 911, my wife woke up to me yelling in the middle of the night and it took some time to calm the family down.

The next morning when i walked out the front door to go to work the street was full of cops. Apparently a house party down the street a ways went bad, a someone got shot and the house emptied out like cockroaches when the light gets turned on. No one was ever caught and I have no idea if the bad guy at my back door was the gun wielding kind of cockroach or the running kind, but man it scared the crud out of me either way.

ID

Rocketmedic
May 24, 2012, 09:53 PM
@ SimplyChad- Are you back from Afghanistan?

Rocketmedic
May 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
Here in El Paso, I've had precisely one 'scary' moment. I heard a loud pop from outside and my Chihuaha went nuts. He's a great dog, lives on top of his kennel in the window so he can watch outside. Anyways, I grabbed my Hi-Standard 12G and watched the door for a few minutes. Heard someone bang on it, then they walked away (avoiding the window).

I need to move.

Nice N Stinky
May 25, 2012, 09:08 AM
Agreed, Chihuahuas are incredibly smart dogs for their size and make excellent alert dogs.

sarge83
May 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
Didn't happen to me but to my Dad. We have a big family, usually had 4 cars in the driveway when we were in high school and college living at home. One weekend on a spring evening just happens all of us except for my Dad were gone out of town for the weekend.

Dad decides to enjoy the silence and by dark has the house locked up tight and is in his bedroom with just the tv on and turned down watching tv and dozing with his bedroom window open for the breeze and just a screen on the window. While laying there around 9:30 he hears the back gate latch open very easy and the door squeak as it opened and he knew he had closed and secured it. By going through the gate the bad guy was concealed from view from the neighbors because of the wood privacy fence.

Dad immediately turned the tv off making the room dark and retrieved his S&W model 65 .357 magnum and eased over next to the window out of view. He kept hearing someone probing around the back of the house. The back door trying to open it and then heard them around the den windows slowly working their way toward his room. Finally they were just outside the bedroom window and touched the screen, they had a flashlight as well. When the prowler touched the screen Dad stepped out and stuck the .357 into the screen right to the guys head, cocked it and demanded what are you doing sneaking around here! The guy about crapped his pants and started yelling my Dad's name, don't shoot me " " it's so and so, don't shoot, don't shoot and shines the light on his own face and then badge! It was a local cop who knew my Dad and his story was he was used to seeing lots of cars parked in our driveway and with every thing gone he was concerned and just checking things out. Dad said that is a good way to get shot! The cop apologized and left asap.

I am not quite sure I bought cops story.

dubya450
May 25, 2012, 03:11 PM
Sarge83, that does sound a but fishy. Why would he be sneaking around like that when most cops would knock on the door if they thought something was up? Did your old man have any nice guns or other valuables the officer knew about ?

Certaindeaf
May 25, 2012, 03:14 PM
^
Who better has plausible deniability and knowledge of folk's doings and layouts?

SimplyChad
May 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
Rocketmedic

Nope still here at least for a few more months. Cant wait bro

sarge83
May 31, 2012, 09:30 AM
Sarge83, that does sound a but fishy. Why would he be sneaking around like that when most cops would knock on the door if they thought something was up? Did your old man have any nice guns or other valuables the officer knew about ?

Not really, he had only a couple of guns and most anything else of real value other than my Moms jewelry locked in his safety deposit box at the bank. This cop showed up at my Dad's business the next day and apologized again.

Funny thing is at that time rampant break ins were happening all over our small town. Long story short- the feds went undercover and several officers from that dept. were arrested for multiple breaking and entering and burglaries and drug trafficking and many went to prison.

However this particular officer wasn't one of them. Still strange the way he conducted his search.

If you enjoyed reading about "Home defense stories." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!