What was your dumbest firearms related purchase?

PDA

jsalcedo
February 18, 2004, 05:43 PM
Most of us have made a bad purchasing decision at one time or another.

Bought a jennings, davis or lorcin before we knew better.

A nifty ramline plastic magazine that broke first time it was used.

What is your dumbest firearms related purchase?

If you enjoyed reading about "What was your dumbest firearms related purchase?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Monkeyleg
February 18, 2004, 05:48 PM
I bought a new S&W 629 Classic, then sold it almost immediately to buy an engraved Ruger Blackhawk. Not being factory engraved, it wasn't worth anything near what I paid for it.

Second dumbest was buying a pistol-gripped Mossberg 500. Only shot once. ;)

Kodiak AK
February 18, 2004, 05:53 PM
I bought a PPK second hand , and later learned from a third party it was hot so I turned it over to the police .

AJ Dual
February 18, 2004, 06:00 PM
Remington Viper .22 :barf:

NRA4LIFE
A few come to mind:

1) Ramline (insert anything)

2) SKS (thinking that it would actually be worth more than I paid for it someday)

sm
Estate State so I bought the whole "lot".

Llama .45, I sold that right quick to a fella that needed the gun for parts for his Llama.

Stupid me made the mistake of keeping and using a gun case with a famous makers name associated with tactical stuff. Yep all that did when a robbery occurred was to lose a rifle that was in it, and get the place trashed.

I have since discovered the T ball size bat bags are great for some carbines,and shotguns. Wilson, Spaulding...innocent and discreet to and fro. Just headed to the ballpark folks. ;)

What guns ?

ReadyontheRight
February 18, 2004, 06:25 PM
Unissued Yugo SKS for $299 when they first came to US.:o

Smoke
February 18, 2004, 06:27 PM
Llama and a Firestorm.

Sheeeeeeshhh.

Smoke

Boats
February 18, 2004, 06:33 PM
Buying at inflated prices lots of full cap 9mm magazines after the mag ban for a variety of pistols. I finally wised up and just dumped the caliber and all the pistols designed to shoot it while losing myself some money in the process.

Dionysusigma
February 18, 2004, 06:40 PM
A Fobus holster for a PPK... the BB version. :rolleyes: :D

Winchester 1911SL. Too afraid to try shooting it... too many bad stories out there. :uhoh:

A 100-shell box of Wally World Winchester for 15.00, for use with the 1911SL. :o

Standing Wolf
February 18, 2004, 06:43 PM
A beautiful gold-plated High Standard Victor that doesn't feed, fire, or extract.

ID_shooting
February 18, 2004, 06:51 PM
Bought a $100.00 mystery gun :rolleyes:

A shop here used to have a closed case at the counter with a "$100.00 mystery gun" He used to say it could be a $1000.00 custom rifle or a POS BB gun, you never know.

Well, Somone musta snuck sucker pills into my coffee that morning and I gave him my $100.00 and I ended up with a nice vintage sears singleshot .22 bolt action that was rusted up and beat to heck :banghead:

I scrubbed it as clean as I could get it and sold it for $25.00 via a different shop.

I guess I learned my lesson, han't boughten any more mystery guns since :D

Wanderer
February 18, 2004, 07:18 PM
Threads like these make me happy that I don't have a buncha money to expend, or I might've made some of these same mistakes.

QuarterBoreGunner
February 18, 2004, 07:59 PM
Dumbest? Or just impractical?

COP .357 Magnum four barrel derringer (http://home.pressroom.com/philips/cop_357/cop_357.htm)

I don't regret this at all (always wanted one since I saw it in BladeRunner... about a hundred years ago.) but I've only shot it once and may not again... trigger pull is terrible

twoblink
February 18, 2004, 08:06 PM
SKS,

my only purchase regret. And I sold it..

pbhome71
February 18, 2004, 08:29 PM
SKS receiver cover scope mount.

TechBrute
February 18, 2004, 09:04 PM
Fobus holster. Junk.

Politically Incorrect
February 18, 2004, 09:15 PM
A Rexio .38 revolver that I bought used for $100 and it shot three feet high at 25 yards with fixed sights. I then traded it and a Mini-14 for a Beretta Elite II, which was traded later for a DPMS AR-15, which was then sold and I used that money for a nice looking Inland M1 Carbine, which I won't trade. :D

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
February 18, 2004, 09:16 PM
Halfway decent Walther P38, BYF and Nazi marked, mid 1980's for $335. USD about a month and a half before they started coming in by the container load for $168 in better condition.

My little brother beats my story, though. He bought an RG revolver, .38 Special, new. At retail. He never successfully fired it in the 5 years he admits to have owned it. It probably would have kaboomed if it had.

Regards,
Rabbit.

strambo
February 18, 2004, 09:16 PM
Galco tuckable IWB holster, uncomfortable as heck and it makes me look like I have a tumor on my hip.

Also my former Para P13...not a dumb purchase per se becuase they had/ have? a good reputation (how could I have known...gun rags?) , nevertheless it jammed more than a Jennings even with hardball :what: and continued even after a gunsmith polished the ramp and throated the barrel. Ditched it for a Kahr K9, it hasn't even thought about jamming in over 500 of every type of 9mm round...I sure did like the idea of havin' 14 .45s on tap though!

Josey
February 18, 2004, 09:42 PM
My one semi-custom Springfield Armory Ultra Compact V10 45 ACP. I bought it and had it worked over and Tritium night sights installed. I never did get it to function. A Jennings/Davis/Bryco would have been better. I finally traded it off to a suck...uh, dealer who thought I was an idiot for trading the SA for a BHP MKIII in 9MM.

Chipperman
February 18, 2004, 09:44 PM
Bought a 1000 round case of American Ammunition.
The only stuff that has ever been able to jam my P7M13

tc300mag1
February 18, 2004, 09:48 PM
A Sks and 2 llamas from same guy a 45 and a 44 neither have given me probs but cant get anything for them to sell um so they gather dust basically

Ala Dan
February 18, 2004, 10:03 PM
Um, my dumbest firearms purchase was-

an 8-snot "burgo model" .22LR revolver made in Germany.
Probably a division of RG Industries? At any rate, I bought
it when I was young and dumb, from K-Mart for the sum of
$42.50. It was so heavy, it would have best served as a
boat anchor.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Moparmike
February 18, 2004, 10:08 PM
Czech VZ 24/47 in 8mm. I just had to have a gun, couldnt wait until I got some extra cash....:rolleyes: :banghead:

Hkmp5sd
February 18, 2004, 10:30 PM
As a handgun, it does an excellent job of keeping papers from being blown off the desk. Instead of calling it a semi-automatic, they should re-designate it a slide-action single shot.

Iron Mike
February 19, 2004, 01:48 AM
I bought a Marlin camp gun in 9mm and a 40 cal. firestar, if I could fire a full magazine through either one I'd be a happy man

454c
February 19, 2004, 02:01 AM
Lorcin 9mm.The best it ever did was 2 or 3 jams a mag.

chetrogers
February 19, 2004, 03:00 AM
My first Pistol i bought from a friend was a Jennings 9mm..I still have it and would never shoot it again to many problems with it.Jams,fail to feeds,clip falling out,and The safety not working..Im glad i bought it because it interested me in firearms but I wish i would of got something better for my first pistol.The only good thing about buying a Jennings is that what ever your next pistol is going to be its gonna be better..I love my rugger p97dc :)

ExpatGator
February 19, 2004, 07:10 AM
Taurus PT-22 for the kids. Their assessment was that it was doo-doo, and I agreed. I have never owned a worse firearm. The little Brazilian nightmare was replaced by a Walther P-22 and we are all the better for it. We went from continuous FTF to never FTF. We now subscribe to the don't buy Taurus mindset.

foghornl
February 19, 2004, 12:54 PM
Don't remember the brand, but it was an import knock-off of the Colt SAA in 22LR/22Mag. Called the "Buffalo Scout". Sold for about $69 new, in 1983-84 era....when you could buy handguns at SOME Wal-Marts. (Alvin, TX).

This particular 22 had a little mechanical safety tab thingy that you flipped for safe or fire mode. It would keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin in safe mode. Was opposite the loading gate.

JonnyB
February 19, 2004, 01:02 PM
I bought a Winchester Model 100 (.308 Semi-auto) at an uncle's estate sale. It was the first center-fire rifle I had ever fired; I was about 13, and he and I were hunting ground-squirrels with it.

Anyway, it had (key word - *had*) some sentimental value 30 years later, after Uncle Albert had died, so I paid dearly for it. I believe I gave about $325 or so , pretty much sight-unseen. The internals were filthy and corroded and pitted. It wouldn't extract when fired, and needed a new bolt, with extractor and ejector. And, the firing pin had never been replaced after the recall. About a $110 repair bill.

Of course it needed a 'scope, so I bought one, and mounts - another $200 (at least). By now, I have well over $600 in a rifle that's worth about $300 - as equipped.

I sold it several months later - prety much unused, except for test-firing - for ~$250, complete.

JB

TerryBob
February 19, 2004, 02:22 PM
The only good thing about buying a Jennings is that what ever your next pistol is going to be its gonna be better

:uhoh: What is it about Jennings? So many of us has bought those little pieces of poop. I have a Jennings .22. I'm gonna tape a quarter to it so that when I throw it away, I will fell like I lost something.

I'm also guilty on the subject of the Ramline 30 shot 10/22 clip. It went into a trash can at Knob Creek Range.

TerryBob

RepublicanMan
February 19, 2004, 05:06 PM
Desert Eagle MK-VII in .44mag......and a shoulder rig to go with it. Silly me thought it could be carried concealed.....ummmm NO.

OEF_VET
February 19, 2004, 05:15 PM
Lorcin .22
Hi-Point .380
Davis .38 derringer
Talon .380
7 Ramline 30rnd AR mags (sand will jam them everytime)
Intratec AB-10 (also the 50 rnd mag I bought for it)

Darn, I've made a LOT of dumb gun purchases over the years. I've got to stop doing that.

redneck2
February 19, 2004, 06:03 PM
only one real stinker....Davis derringer in .38 sp. No trigger guard, so the trigger pull is realistically in the 15-20# range. Also, if you let the hammer down it rests on the firing pin which is tight against the primer

Set a 5 gallon bucket 10 feet away and hit mebbe 50%. Still got about 80% of what I paid on trade.

Atticus
February 19, 2004, 09:26 PM
There have been a few...but the one that stands out in my mind was a Baford Arms High Power clone. I was saving up for a Browning HP (and was close) when I ran across a Baford for a little less. The clerk was a good salesman, and I swallowed his BS hook, line and sinker. The gun was a real stinker. After coming back to the store twice with problems, the store owner felt bad, had a conscience, and gave me full trade in price which I applied to the HP. Learned a lesson about impulse buying and not doing research.

Autolite
February 19, 2004, 09:38 PM
I bought a Harris folding bi-pod for my Mini 14. The attaching mechanism was never tight and it always rattled when going through the bush. The fact is that a Mini 14 needs a bi-pod like my stock Ford Pinto needs racing slicks ...

Tierhog
February 19, 2004, 11:02 PM
Clip on Bipod from Cheaperthandirt.com, looks cool, works like cr@p.

Tamara
February 19, 2004, 11:50 PM
I once bought a Jennings 9mm. Don't tell anybody... :uhoh:

vulcan
February 20, 2004, 01:29 AM
<head bowed>

-RG14 .22lr revolver & a cobray single shot .410 shotgun......

The RG14 when I was young & dumb

The shotgun cuz I'm a sucker for a folding stock

:o

My impulsive gene gets the best of me, except for the M24 S&W from Tamara's N frame post.:D That one worked out !

PromptCritical
February 20, 2004, 01:34 AM
Feather .22 takedown rifle. It's not that it doesn't shoot decently, it was an impulse buy, and cost way more than it's worth. Looks kinda neat though. Has a detachable stock and pistol grip, cheesy Chinese scope, can't believe it's legal in PRK. Can't sell it though. I've only sold one gun and regretted it ever since. Besides, a true gun nut NEVER sells a gun.

cracked butt
February 20, 2004, 02:49 AM
A mosin nagant M44 that was on sale for $35- it had a questionable looking bore at the store, but when I cleaned it up, it was much worse than I thought.

A "military style" Uncle Mike's sling- too flimsy and cheaply made to use as a shooting sling, too short to use as a carrying strap- $22 I'll never see again.

A remington 597 when it first came out. The POS jammed every 3rd shot and wasn't impressively accurate. bought it for $139 instead of spending the extra $20 for a 10/22. Sold it a year later for $85. Haven't had an interest in buying anything from Remington since.

artherd
February 20, 2004, 04:35 AM
Cheaping out on Rail-mount rings (ok and don't move, but whenever I loosen off the weaver quick-detatch rail, the scope itself goes loose in the rings. Kinda makes the whole idea of QUICK-DETATCH rings with zero-retention rail mounting useless...)

They weren't even very cheap either, $70!

I ate it and bought Badgers for about twice as much.

Hutch
February 20, 2004, 09:26 AM
Am I the only one here that ever bought the Charter Explorer II .22LR "Pistol"???? For those unfamiliar, it has the action of the AR-7 rifle, in a tidy compact package only slightly larger, if somewhat lighter, than the family Bible. No holster ever made to fit it, about as accurate as a good knuckleball, and with a GRUESOME trigger. What WAS I thinking....

Skunkabilly
February 20, 2004, 11:44 AM
1. An Uncle Mike's 9-shotshell loop sling :rolleyes:

2. Beretta 92G. I've had so much luck with the gun, everything else since then that I've dabbled with has just been....disappointing :(

hillbilly
February 20, 2004, 01:27 PM
NAA .22 mag mini-revolver.

And, when I was a complete and total newb idiot, I got one of those Swedish Mausers sporterized by Kimber. Only I go the one that had been rebarreled to .308.

Not only did I do that, I even picked up some .308 stripper clips to use for it, not having enough sense to realize that putting a scope on the rifle would kind of, sort of totally prevent the use of stripper clips.

Oh to be 21 again...................No thanks.

hillbilly

TechBrute
February 20, 2004, 01:52 PM
Skunk... Your M1a didn't show up on this thread?

Ktulu
February 20, 2004, 02:13 PM
Glock 19. It was my first pistol and I bought it because I didn't know any better. Looking back with perfect hindsight I think I would have been better served buying some Colt 1911 or something a little nicer. It's a fine gun (for what it is) and it shoots ok but it mostly gets shot by friends who want to try IDPA, etc.

A close second...

Mossberg 590. I wanted a 3-gun shottie that I could get fast and cheap. This gun is a lot cheaper then it is fast. Again, a fine gun (for what it is) but the $350 or whatever I paid for it would have been better spent as part of the cost of a Remmy 1100 Comp-Master, Benelli, an X2, or something.

TechBrute
February 20, 2004, 02:18 PM
Mossberg 590. I wanted a 3-gun shottie that I could get fast and cheap. This gun is a lot cheaper then it is fast. Again, a fine gun (for what it is) but the $350 or whatever I paid for it would have been better spent as part of the cost of a Remmy 1100 Comp-Master, Benelli, an X2, or something. pfffft... :rolleyes: Autos are for people that can't work a pump. :D <ducks due to incoming flames>

jsalcedo
February 20, 2004, 02:34 PM
Mossberg 590. I wanted a 3-gun shottie that I could get fast and cheap.

That was the best $129 +TT&L I ever spent. I have spent a fortune on 3 inch magnum slugs and 000 buck since I bought the 590.

Skunkabilly
February 20, 2004, 02:38 PM
pfffft... Autos are for people that can't work a pump. <ducks due to incoming flames>

Do you drive a stick?

Skunk... Your M1a didn't show up on this thread?

Nope, it was a well thought-out, researched and planned process, but the rifle was a disappointing POS.

TechBrute
February 20, 2004, 02:39 PM
My first Mossberg was $99. Still have it, still use it. I use it to embarrass the kids at the range with their $1200 shotguns and no skill. It's all beat to hell, but it's a good little shooter.

TechBrute
February 20, 2004, 02:47 PM
Do you drive a stick? Good point. I do have several cars that are sticks (I'm an RX-7 junkie), but my daily getstuckintrafficmobile is an auto. Ok, autos are for lazy people. :D <runs... fast...>

manwithoutahome
February 20, 2004, 02:52 PM
Not really what I consider "stupid" since I've had fun with all of them:

Jennings .22 (hey, you get what you pay for and the $25 NIB price tag that I paid I got exactally what I paid for).

AB-10. Actually, I've only had one jam on the thing and that was with an aftermarket 50rd mag. It only jammed the first time of using the mag and hasn't since. But, I wouldn't be doing any "long range" shots with it (anything I need to hit further then 15/20 feet). Fun as heck trying to do the "machine gun" thing (firing as fast as you can pull the trigger). This is done once and then it gets put up.

Burgo .22 (same as the RG). This one I got in a "lot" sale. I paid around $150 for the "lot" which had a Winchester .22, S&W 9914, Single shot .410, and another .22 rifle (forgot the model/name). I sold the lot except for the Burgo for around $350. I do enjoy firing the Burgo (only one cylinder of 8), it turns pretty colors when it heats up :D.

Things that make you go :banghead: :

5 speed loaders for a five shot .357 revolver... Mine is a six shot revolver. Had to go out and get a five shot just so I would have the gun to go with the speed loaders.

M

waynzwld
February 20, 2004, 04:56 PM
Interarms Virginian Dragoon n 44 Mag,

The cylinder timing was lousy and it was never very accurate. Real big and very heavy. Don't miss it one bit!

QuarterBoreGunner
February 20, 2004, 05:16 PM
Interarms Virginian Dragoon n 44 Mag
Interesting. I've never had a problem with mine. Big stainless 7½" sucker right?

Jason Demond
February 20, 2004, 05:42 PM
I bought 4 Promag full cap magazines for a Glock 17.
What a waste of money.

cool45auto
February 20, 2004, 07:52 PM
Receiver mounted scope set up for my SKS.:barf:

jsalcedo
February 20, 2004, 07:54 PM
I bought 4 Promag full cap magazines for a Glock 17.

I agree promags are terrible.

dandean316
February 21, 2004, 03:21 PM
Kimber Polymer. HAD to have a Kimber. HAD to have full capacity.

Each on it's own is great, but not together.

AZLibertarian
February 21, 2004, 08:52 PM
As I sit here and think about it....

First dumb purchase-Really crappy fanny pack holster for my BHP. Thought I was concealing it, but all I was doing was SHOUTING "LOOK EVERYONE! I'M CARRYING A GUN IN HERE".

Second dumb purchase-Bought some cheap Argentine hi-caps for the same BHP. Load them to capacity, and the rounds actually rattle inside. I don't think one of them would feed to slidelock.

Most recent dumb purchase-Bought a Savage rifle/scope combo in 7mm Rem Mag. Everytime I pull the trigger, the magazine falls out the bottom of the rifle. Kicks like a mule.

As much as I think I'm a discerning gun consumer, I've certainly got my share of stinkers. I'm probably not finished either.

Werewolf
February 21, 2004, 08:56 PM
Bushmaster XM15E2S - 20" Fluted Barrel....

Brand New - Failed right out of the box - stovepiped after 10 to 15 rounds (let it cool off and 10 to 15 rounds later every other round stovepipes - POS!). Dealer wouldn't exchange it for another. They're sending it back to Bushmaster. You spend $900 it's reasonable to expect that what you spend it on will work. It's not reasonable to spend $900 and have to wait 3 to 4 weeks for it to be repaired and back in your hands.

I'll never buy another Bushmaster and I'll never spend another dime at H&H Guns in Oklahoma City, OK - the BASTARDS! Their loss - I spend upwards of $6000 per year on gun stuff.

Myself
February 21, 2004, 09:18 PM
Sterling 22 lr semi auto pistol. Jamed, stovepiped and failed to fire on occasion when the trigger was pulled. When it did fire I couldn't hit within 2 feet of the aimpoint at 5 yards.

The gun got stolen after I had it about 3 years. The joys of living in a trailer park. My only consolation was that maby the jerk who stole it got nailed cause it didn't work worth a darn.

TechBrute
February 21, 2004, 09:20 PM
Werewolf, that's SOP for every dealer I've every dealt with. With the issues that you have to deal with regarding transferring firearms, it's not worth it for the dealer to exchange it. That's what the warranties are for, anyway. It sounds like Bushmaster is the one that failed you, not the dealer.

stellarpod
February 21, 2004, 09:25 PM
Two words:

Pager Pal

Anybody need one...? :eek:

stellarpod

Liberty Ship
February 21, 2004, 09:29 PM
Werewolf,

I had similar problems with my Bushmaster when I got it. Everyone said just put 200 rounds through it and it will break in. The problem was getting 200 rounds through it without dying of buyers remorse. It works great now. I'm not sure which of the things I did got me over the hump, but here is all the stuff I recommend to people with AR problems:

1) Make sure the ring gaps are at 120 degrees (I don't worry about that much anymore, but when I was having problems, I was careful about it. Honestly, it didn't seem to make much difference, though)

2) Clean the gun thoroughly and lube sparingly with Tetra grease

3) There is a vent hole in the butt plate -- it's through the middle of a screw -- that needs to be clear. Take a pipe cleaner to it. On my Bushy, the hole was pretty much clogged with lock-tite. When the hole is clogged, it retards the reward motion of the "piston" at the front of the recoil spring. My gut feeling is that it was this problem that was causing my malfunctions.

4) Lube the piston and the recoil spring with a light coat of Tetra grease, too.

5) I was using used 30 round mags. Even though it was having problems with the factory 10 round mag, I bought rebuild kits for the 30's from Bushmaster (new green followers, springs, and floorplates)

After I did all that, it was like I had a different gun. It even sounded different when I shot it and it cycled much more smoothly and quickly.

It never malfunctioned again. Oh, don't use Wolf ammo, either.

larry_minn
February 21, 2004, 09:43 PM
Two words:

Pager Pal

Anybody need one...?

stellarpod

deleteall
February 21, 2004, 11:50 PM
Pager Pal...anyone need one?

Yeah actually. Shipping + $1 sound good?

jsalcedo
February 21, 2004, 11:59 PM
The pagerpal was the most extreme piece of crap I have ever purchased.

I don't know how many times those charlatains at the gun show practiced to make it look easy but my gun was always jabbing me in the na na's
and I could never get it past my gut.

I actually had to pull my pants down to retrieve it.

Luckily I sold it on Ebay for $50

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
February 22, 2004, 01:17 AM
Hmmm....I actually like my Pager Pal. I carry my Mauser HSc in it occasionally. I'm probably just skinnier than some folks are.

It isn't the fastest holster I've ever owned, but it is the easiest to deep-conceal.

Regards,
Rabbit.

4v50 Gary
February 22, 2004, 01:22 AM
USA magazines, Fed Ord aftermarket products. It took me a while to learn to be leery of aftermarket. Some are quite good and reputable and others are landfill material.

Guy L Johnson
February 22, 2004, 02:00 AM
Ugly, Heavy, Cheap and fairly accurate and never jams, but just plain embarasing But because of the weight would make a very good door stop or hammer
Guy L Johnson

Dionysusigma
February 22, 2004, 04:25 AM
I'll never buy another Bushmaster and I'll never spend another dime at H&H Guns in Oklahoma City, OK - the BASTARDS! Roger that. Couldn't agree more.

Ugly, heavy, cheap and fairly accurate and never jams Sounds like my kinda gun (FWIW, I like the IMI SP-21 too) :o :D

oweno
February 22, 2004, 08:04 AM
#1. AT-84. Grrrrrrrr - would never fire more than 2 rounds without jamming in one way or another. Sent back to "importer's gunsmith" - returned with note saying "Tested OK".

My fault for believing a writeup in some gun magazine. Expensive lesson, that.

#2. Ankle holster, at least this was not all that expensive a lesson.

tcsd1236
February 22, 2004, 09:31 AM
"Dumbest? Or just impractical?

COP .357 Magnum four barrel derringer

I don't regret this at all (always wanted one since I saw it in BladeRunner... about a hundred years ago.) but I've only shot it once and may not again... trigger pull is terrible"

One of our new deputies just bought one of those off a retiring deputy last fall, and actually took it to the range and qualified with it as an off duty weapon. Go figure. Almost every single round keyholed on him.

Werewolf
February 22, 2004, 11:24 AM
Werewolf, that's SOP for every dealer I've every dealt with. With the issues that you have to deal with regarding transferring firearms, it's not worth it for the dealer to exchange it.

I've got to disagree....

The only issue is to do a transfer back to the FFL and then give me a new firearm. Another 4473 and NICS and all done. It's just paperwork. So because they don't want to fill out a few forms and make a call they just lost a $6000 a year customer. It ain't gonna break 'em.

As for normal procedure - I believe you - I've been lucky I guess in that in 30 years of purchasing firearms and accessories I've never gotten a lemon - got a few I wasn't happy with but they were built to spec and the weapons just didn't do what I thought they should - thus my problem not the dealer's. Got rid of 'em or had a gunsmith fix 'em.

If the stovepiping problem cropped up after I'd fired a few hundred rounds thru the thing then I would have considered it my problem. But it didn't - happened somewhere between round 10 and 20. I had the thing just 3 days before I took it back. HELL MAN! Even car dealers will take a car back within 3 days. It didn't help that the sales guy I dealt with was a prick to boot.

So being normal procedure is just something that gun buyers have accepted. Well I'm not going to. As soon as I get my rifle back I'm going to file a complaint letter with the Better Business Bureau as well as slam H&H every chance I get - and since I'm the gun guy at where I work I get asked a lot where and what someone should buy. I'm going to fire off a letter to the store owner too. It won't do any good but it'll make me feel a heck of a lot better.

orangeninja
February 22, 2004, 11:55 AM
A Ruger P97 sight unseen...NIB...it pretty much self destructed.

A Taurus 605...Kicked so hard it split the grips and my hand. OUCH!!!

The dumbest thing I regret selling? A Colt King Cobra that I had traded EVEN for a Bersa .380. I sold the Cobra for 350. Neither one of us knew a dang thing about guns and I had a GP100 that turned out to be hot that I bought from a GUN SHOP. I didn't know the GP100 was hot and figured I didn't need 2 4inch barreled .357 mags sitting around.

:banghead:

Ktulu
February 22, 2004, 04:50 PM
HA! I thought I was gonna take a ribbing for the Glock not the shotgun.

artherd
February 24, 2004, 05:21 PM
Kimber Polymer. HAD to have a Kimber. HAD to have full capacity.

Each on it's own is great, but not together

Never heard of it, seems like a really great idea. (but dosen't it always?) on paper.

What is wrong with it?

waynzwld
February 24, 2004, 05:41 PM
QuarterBoreGunner,

This was one of the very early blued ones they imported, quality was not as good as the stainless ones.

QuarterBoreGunner
February 24, 2004, 05:42 PM
IIRC the Kimber Polymer double-stack .45 had a frame that was made by BUL in Israel (or at least the first generation did) and they had some real problems with functioning. Can’t recall exactly what the problem was now… dag nabit. But I do recall one that we had to send back to Kimber for a customer at least twice.

Edward429451
February 24, 2004, 05:54 PM
Streetsweeper 12 ga. Worst 400 bucks I ever spent. No magnums, no service friendly, no reliability. Not worth as much as a beat up old mossberg.

Lobotomy Boy
February 24, 2004, 09:31 PM
1. Stoeger Arms .22LR Luger. The frame looked like it had been hand ground from a hunk of potmetal and it jammed every 3-4 rounds. I bought it new, cheap, when I was 16-years-old and didn't know an open breach from a locking bolt.

2. Colt Police Positive Special bought from our county sheriff. Nice gun, but a week after I bought it the sheriff showed up in my driveway with my money back. Turned out the gun was hot. Good thing I bought it from the Sheriff.

Most of my gun stupidity involves selling, not buying guns.

Lobotomy Boy
February 24, 2004, 09:31 PM
1. Stoeger Arms .22LR Luger. The frame looked like it had been hand ground from a hunk of potmetal and it jammed every 3-4 rounds. I bought it new, cheap, when I was 16-years-old and didn't know an open breach from a locking bolt.

2. Colt Police Positive Special bought from our county sheriff. Nice gun, but a week after I bought it the sheriff showed up in my driveway with my money back. Turned out the gun was hot. Good thing I bought it from the Sheriff.

Most of my gun stupidity involves selling, not buying guns.

Slimjim
February 24, 2004, 09:37 PM
Streetsweeper 12 ga. Worst 400 bucks I ever spent. No magnums, no service friendly, no reliability. Not worth as much as a beat up old mossberg.

----------------------------

But now its worth quite a bit more then 400 dollars.

Edward429451
February 24, 2004, 11:48 PM
I sold it for 625.;)

And yes, I did tell him it had problems. He had StreetSweeperitis though and insisted he could get it to work. Gimmee a two hundred dollar pump any day over that thing.

Iron Mike
February 25, 2004, 01:09 AM
Another waste of money on my part were ten round mags for my mini 14. They were USA bought through cheaper than dirt.What garbage! :fire:

Lobotomy Boy
February 25, 2004, 08:10 AM
Another complete POS gun I forgot about was a High Standard .22 Magnum revolver. It was a good-looking gun, medium framed with a Vaquero-style grip, and it looked like it had hardly ever been shot. I discovered this was because the brass expanded so badly in the cylinder that you literally had to tap on the ejector rod with a hammer to remove the spent brass.

February 25, 2004, 08:27 AM
Someone mentioned the words fast and cheap. This seems to be the common thread with all the posts I read.
"I have to buy something right this minute and don't have much money".

Been there, done that.
Cheap guns are better than cheap scopes. The cheap guns I bought at least worked.

THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH

Plenty of my own experience causes me to laugh when I read the many threads that start out: What is the cheapest way for me to _____________ ? Probably the most common one is "What is the cheapest way for me to get into an AR15 ?
You are about to enter another dimension, there is a signpost up ahead that reads: Disappointment Ahead.
Then when it doesn't work, the AR15 is a POS.
Think about it. This implies that they arn't looking for a gun, they are looking for a price. Put another way, how many shortcuts can I take for this amount $ ?

ID_shooting
February 25, 2004, 08:28 AM
I am going to make an observation here. This is certianly not intended to flame any one.

I notice that when somone starts a thread like this one, someone else always coms in with somthing like:

"I bought this (insert make/model) it never worked from day one. It allways (insert favorite stoppage). I went back and talked to the jerk behind the counter (translation, I started shouting my fool head off as soon as I walked in the door) and he refused to exchange the gun for a new one! I will never buy another (insert favorite gun) from that (insert favorite explative) again. In fact, I will bad mouth him and tell every one I know that this (insert store name and explative) is worthless and refuses to go past what the written and industry standard warranty. They are nothing but (insert another explative)"

Now, some of us have made some really lame and dumb purchases here (even I am guilty of this), but buying a broken gun, unless you knew it was broken is not a dumb purchase, it is simply a case of "sh** happens" Any one that that assumes that massed produced machinery will never fail or have the occasional faulty product leave the factory lives in a world of un-realistic expectations.

We would all love it if the stores in question would replace everything that was faulty or give us refunds when the slightest little thing went wrong, but alot of times they are not able to do so, weather it be lack of funding, lack of knowledge or simply thier policy. Besides, who would you rather have work on your gun, the guy at the store, or the guy at the factory who knows every last milimeter of the weapon in question?

Additionally, if a person came in to my store ranting and raving, I would be inclined to tell them to take a leap and be thankfull that they choose womone else to direct thier abuse at. I will wallways take better care of the guy that has a problem and is polite vs joe schmuck that storms in cussing up a storm and calling me everything but a human being.

Again, this is not directed at ony one person, but simply somthing I find amazing.

A little respect and understanding goeas a long long way.

Lobotomy Boy
February 25, 2004, 08:39 AM
444 wrote: "THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH."

True, but there are some screaming good deals that come close. For example, Ruger's P89 and P95 are exceptional values. They are not good choices for serious competetive shooters and they are a bit too large for most people to use as CCW, but for someone looking for a reliable, inexpensive plinking gun for cans and paper targets, they provide a reliable, functional gun at a reasonable price.

Eskimo Jim
February 25, 2004, 08:48 AM
Dumbest gun related purchase:
A range bag large enough to carry ammunition to feed about 4-6 handguns. By the time I filled it with my handguns, enough ammunition to keep me out of trouble for an afternoon, cleaning kit, etc etc, the thing was too heavy and awkward for me to carry it without banging it into something.

I have to second the belt pack/fanny pack that screams "I managed to tie a suitcase to my waist". It would not conceal a 4" K frame at all yet I bought the stupid thing while thinking along the lines that I'd be able to get the 4" barrell into the 3" bag.

Say, where's that classified section.......:evil:

I've been fortunate that I've stayed away from 'economy' firearms. Before I buy a firearm, I try to learn as much about the make and model before I buy it. So far it has worked.

-Jim

uglymofo
February 25, 2004, 10:47 AM
I think I've got the stupidity award well in hand:

A lifetime ago I trusted a gun dealer and walked out with a 6 1/4 lb. sporterized Mauser conversion in 30-06; the bastidge topped it off with a 3-9x Banner scope and drop-kicked my sorry @ss out the door for $85 (in 1973 USD).

Not knowing any better, I was content to shoot 4-6" groups at 100yd. with FGM, and had one hell of a sore shoulder. Aah, to be young again and know what I know now....

John Ross
February 25, 2004, 12:48 PM
It seems to me that "dumbest" purchase would necessarily involve substantial cost, rather than buying some $10 item that wasn't useful.

I have always bought guns I liked, and never been sorry, with one possible exception. I had John Towle build me a .458 pistol on a Wichita action. It just wasn't fun to shoot, I've still got it, but only because I haven't gotten around to selling it.

In 1992, though, I became temporarily brain dead and got caught up in the idea that all the Bush-banned imports would only rise in value. I bought a Chinese Dragunov which I had no desire to keep or shoot for--get this--$3500.

Sold it unfired a couple of years later for $1800. Never again speculated on guns that didn't excite me.

JR

Sean Smith
February 25, 2004, 01:28 PM
I bought a Para-Ordnance once. That was really stupid. Expensive and unreliable.

Logan5
February 25, 2004, 01:56 PM
I once bought a case of .41 magnum Carroll reloads. Still have it, minus one box. Another good one (I was about 16 at the time) was a Ram Line folding stock for my Marlin model 60 .22, which now lives under some junk in the attic.
Another blinding stroke of brilliance was a Norinco M1A clone, which came with a bunch of magazines that looked like standard capacity, but were blocked to five rounds.

QuarterBoreGunner
February 25, 2004, 02:01 PM
case of .41 magnum Carroll reloads.I'll bite- what is a 'Carroll reload'?

Frohickey
February 25, 2004, 02:07 PM
Calico M105 Sporter Carbine.

Logan5
February 25, 2004, 02:14 PM
Carroll Bullets, inc. of Stafford Springs, CT. They do commercial reloads that pretty much every indoor range around here has since banned by name because they are excessively, mind bogglingly, clean-it-with-a-power-washer-after-shooting, foul.
So it went about like this:
Me: "Have any .41 Magnum ammo back there?"
Clerk: "Sure do! Why don't you take the whole case? I'll give you a great deal."
Me: "umm... ok."
So I pay the man, and tell him I'd like a point on the indoor range for an hour...

And then I pretty much just went home and cried.

QuarterBoreGunner
February 25, 2004, 02:18 PM
Logan5- Ah, a regional thing. Got it.

grnzbra
February 25, 2004, 03:26 PM
Mec-Gar mags for my 1911. The took a chunk out of the beveled underside of the mag catch. Thankfully, Dillon took them back and I got McCormic 10 rnd mags which have worked fine ever since. (Also had to change the magazine catch) Never figured out exactly what was wrong; the edge in question looked exactly like any number of other mags that I have that work kfinr.

Nathanael_Greene
February 25, 2004, 03:34 PM
I hate to admit it, because I've got an old Llama that shoots just fine, and I really really like it, but about a year ago I bought a brand-new Llama Mini-Max in chrome, and the damned safety clicks on about every third shot. It works fine for a right-handed person, but being left-handed myself, the flesh between my thumb and forefinger pushes on the stupid thing. Maybe I'll just solder it in place.

Declaration Day
February 25, 2004, 07:40 PM
Years ago I bought a Remington .22 semi-auto rifle. I don't remember the model anymore, but it was almost all plastic, including the magazine. It was cheap, I believe under $100, and it never did work right. Each time I fired a shot I had to push the bolt forward to load the next round. Even after that it would usually stovepipe. After finding a more suitable replacement, I gave it to a friend (yes he knew it didn't work right). I couldn't sell it in good conscience.

stellarpod
February 26, 2004, 06:37 AM
ID_shooting:

All good points.

stellarpod

If you enjoyed reading about "What was your dumbest firearms related purchase?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!