Which of the following handguns have you actually fired?

PDA

el Godfather
May 16, 2012, 03:03 PM
Dear THR,
I have been conducting polls with various handguns. I want to know which of the gun listed in the Poll is used by most of the members.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which of the following handguns have you actually fired?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ku4hx
May 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
Interesting poll, but you left out Ruger, Browning, Smith, Colt and a few other major players. But it is your poll.

el Godfather
May 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
Not concerned about them. This poll is to check certain hypothosis.

ku4hx
May 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
I know ... like I said, your poll.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
I have shot a LOT of handguns over the past 30+ years, but have never shot any you have on your list.

mcdonl
May 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
None.

(Oh Crap) I have shot the HK USP Tactical, a friends gun. He paid too much money for a gun that I can out shoot with my Kahr... In my opinion.

bri
May 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
I've only fired one on your list, G26.

56hawk
May 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
Oddly specific on some of those.

mdThanatos
May 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
Gonna have to vote none. The CZ 75 is closest but you didn't have a B on there and since there is a difference between the two I can't accurately choose that one.

tightgroup tiger
May 16, 2012, 04:47 PM

I am really curious about your hypothisis. I have not fired any of these either.

holdencm9
May 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
yeah I am curious about the hypothesis as well. I have fired two on your list. A Glock 19 of my friend's and a FN FiveSeven that a guy at the range just let me put a mag through.

I am guessing there is a specific reason as to the specificity of the guns listed. For instance I have shot Glock 27 but not 26, own a Beretta 92 but not the one listed, etc. And did not check those boxes.

TennJed
May 16, 2012, 04:59 PM
None and FWIW the only 3 on the list i have on my long list of wants is the cz 75, the beretta 92, and the sig 226. And honestly tye CZ is the only one i really really want

9mmepiphany
May 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
Shot 16 out of your 20

Only missed the:
HK USP Tactical
CZ 75 Tactical Sports
CZ Czechmate
Desert Eagle

I've actually fired the USP Tactical and the Desert Eagle, but it was only for one magazine and I didn't really get much of an impression of either...so I guess you could say the only ones I've missed are the specialized CZs

Cosmoline
May 16, 2012, 05:17 PM
I have shot a LOT of handguns over the past 30+ years, but have never shot any you have on your list.

I've shot maybe three, but that's it. And I've owned or fired hundreds of handguns. It's a weird list. More like what you'd see in a video game or movie than real life. Maybe I just don't care enough for the semis.

9mmepiphany
May 16, 2012, 05:27 PM
It's a weird list. More like what you'd see in a video game or movie than real life.
They are a lot of guns you'll see in new shooter classes and IDPA competition...well, except for the Desert Eagle

The only entry level guns on the list are the Glocks

I'm surprised how many folks have shot the Walther P99

9mmepiphany
May 16, 2012, 05:34 PM
I am really curious about your hypothisis. I have not fired any of these either.

I really like the poll. I'll bet it has some relation to how many folks will recommend a gun without experience with its competition

CountryUgly
May 16, 2012, 06:00 PM
I clicked the Walther but the one I own is actually the SW99 in .45acp... If tht doesn't count then subtract one for the Walther...

Arkansas Paul
May 16, 2012, 06:50 PM
I want to know which of the gun listed in the Poll is used by most of the members.

Then there's a flaw. Just because someone has shot one of them, doesn't mean they use it. For instance, I have shot 2 on your list, a G17 and a Desert Eagle. However, neither belonged to me, so they're not something I use, persay. They belonged to 2 different friends. The Desert Eagle was extremely fun to shoot, but was a wrist breaker, as it was a .50AE. Didn't get to shoot it much though, because none of us handloaded back then and each trigger pull was about $2.00.

dubya450
May 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
I own 5 of the pistols you have in the poll and have shot 9 of them. The most recent was a HK USP TACTICAL that I put 50% down on Layaway before I shot it, then rented it and tried it out before fully committing. In the end I actually didn't like it as much as I was hoping I would. I just didn't like the trigger and thought the reset was way too long especially for a $1000 gun. Needless to say I took it off Layaway and bought my first 1911 a kimber custom crimson carry and LOVE it.

As far as which gun on the poll I shoot the most its a tie between the glock 19 and the fn Five-seveN. The Five-seveN is slowly taking over the spot as my most frequently shot pistol though.

19-3Ben
May 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
I clicked the Walther but the one I own is actually the SW99 in .45acp... If tht doesn't count then subtract one for the Walther...

It's ok. I shot a P99 once but forgot to check that box. So we even each other out. I hated the P99. Not a soft shooter at all. Seemed to amplify recoil.

That is really a bizarre list of oddly specific sub-models of guns you put up in that poll.

usp9
May 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
Just seven of them. I have some catching up to do.

The Lone Haranguer
May 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
Not enough of them. :D

Glock 19, CZ75 and Walther P99 (which I didn't see and left out of the poll) The Glock and CZ are my own, the Walther belonged to someone else. I was ambivalent about it. I have also fired the Sig P226 (rental, with DAK trigger), but not those specific models.

csa77
May 16, 2012, 07:51 PM
iv shot the glock 17 and 19 , DE chambered in 50AE and a HK USP
i used to own a USP but sold it for my series1 kimber and the rest are friends guns.

foghornl
May 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
Shooting Budd has a Les Baer; only one on your list i have shot.

Janos Dracwlya
May 16, 2012, 09:02 PM
None of them.

I've fired a Sig 226, but not that one.
I've fired a Cz75BD.
I've fired a Glock 34.

I've fired quite a few guns - I never turn down the opportunity to try a gun I've never fired before.

9mmepiphany
May 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
I've found that students at classes are always happy to have an instructor try their gun...I guess it's OK if the instructor shoots better then they do, they almost expect it.

In a formal setting, I only do it to show them it isn't the gun that is off...but it offered, I'm always happy to try out different guns after class or during breaks. Otherwise, I'm sure I would have never had a chance to see how a FiveSeven, a MK23 or a X-5 runs at speed

Girodin
May 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
Not concerned about them. This poll is to check certain hypothosis (sic).

It will be a very poor test of any hypothesis A poll like this has zero scientific value due to its respondent selection problems, and cannot be extrapolated from with any degree of accuracy. One cannot even extrapolate to members of the this forum from a poll like this. If it is to compare it to any of your other polls it is even further flawed in that there is no way to track whether the same people are responding.

mr.trooper
May 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
I have fired approximately 1/2 of these guns, but only because I have a pension for oddballs.

Most people stick to the familiar, and as such, will never have fired something like a MK23, FN 5.7, or a P99. Heck, for most shooters the CZ 75 is 'exotic'.

el Godfather
May 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
Hypothesis A
Glock wins most polls because most have it or used it.

Hypothesis B
High end pistols will lose polls irrespective of their quality, simply because most people have not used it.

9mmepiphany
May 16, 2012, 11:56 PM
...and that is the genesis of a poll I'm thinking about

Girodin
May 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
You understand that this poll in no way answers either of those hypothesis though, right?

Furthermore, those hypothesis both include the unstated assumption that folks responding to your other (pseudo polls) choose something they have shot. Who knows whether that is true even if the call in the pseudo polls calls for that.

Ankeny
May 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
I have shot twelve of the guns listed.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
No XD or XDM? M&P?

I think you created this poll with a bias, and it shows in the options given.

Mike J
May 17, 2012, 10:27 PM
I have shot the .40 caliber versions of 2 of the Glocks & I have shot a Beretta 92 but not the one on the poll. I guess I'm just missing out.

Buck Kramer
May 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
Is this a Glock kool-aid theory? If so, well, you have your answer.

contender
May 18, 2012, 01:18 AM
the poll could also reflect to a degree the price-point of this population.

Dnaltrop
May 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
Only shot the HK, and it was also my first suppressed pistol.

I don't count the Glock because they're ergonomically incompatible with bone of the first joint of my thumb.

Wait, forgot a Buddy's Beretta... one mag, wasn't impressed.

Own none of them.

9mmepiphany
May 18, 2012, 01:59 PM
the poll could also reflect to a degree the price-point of this population.
Looking at the votes, this does seem to be the case...the oddity is the number of SIG votes.

My thread/poll on High End Production 1911s tells a slightly different story

tarosean
May 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
[Quote:
My thread/poll on High End Production 1911s tells a slightly different story

Im wondering how many votes are bs?

Some of the guns are not common (beretta combat)
Wheras some are general (wilson and nighthawk) your poll was pretty specific.

2zulu1
May 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
Given the duplication of some of the models, have to wonder why the iconic Browning Hi Power wasn't included. :rolleyes:

Rexster
May 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
I have owned and shot three Les Baer pistols, two being one of the Comanche-sized Concept-series models, which I owned briefly in 1997, and the third my current Thunder Ranch Special, which has been with me since about 2000. I have owned and shot one Wilson Combat Sentinel. This how I answered the poll.

In case it is relevant, I will not waste future money on any 1911 with less than 5" of barrel. The accuracy and reliability of a 1911 can only be fully realized, IMHO, with the full-sized weapon.

I have to wonder why the poll specified certain models of some brands, but other pistols were listed merely as the brand name.

el Godfather
May 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
9mm
You got the point. That is exactly the point I wanted to make. Glock and like guns win recommendation polls because people just recommend them without actually having experience with other options which may in fact be better is some cases.

I am also surprised that other then I only one person has fired Czechmate.

el Godfather
May 19, 2012, 04:17 PM
9mm
Sig numbers are oddity indeed. It may be the case that folks are not considering Elite as stated. Rather everyone who has fired any sig might have voted for sig anyway. Who knows?

GBExpat
May 19, 2012, 09:34 PM
Which of the following handguns have you actually fired?

None of the ones that you listed.

Morgo
May 20, 2012, 12:09 AM
Sig X5
Sig P226 (Elite or any model with SRT)
HK USP Tactical
CZ 75 Tactical Sports
Glock 17
CZ 75
Walther P99
Beretta 92 Combat Combo
FN FiveseveN
Desert Eagle
Hk USP

Here I was thinking I wouldn't have shot any on your list since I live in Australia :)

Warp
May 20, 2012, 12:45 AM
9mm
You got the point. That is exactly the point I wanted to make. Glock and like guns win recommendation polls because people just recommend them without actually having experience with other options which may in fact be better is some cases.

I am also surprised that other then I only one person has fired Czechmate.

I think your poll is bias.

But then again your point is basically to say that what is popular is more likely to be recommended than what is less (or not) popular. Well, can't argue with that.

el Godfather
May 20, 2012, 02:38 AM
Biased?

Warp
May 20, 2012, 02:40 AM
Yes. I think that the poll options were created with a specific desired result in mind. I think that if you wanted to even sniff significance you would have to change some things. For example...price ranges where you only compare number of responses within that price range.

Perhaps fewer extremely specific model listings.

You said Glocks "and like guns". You need to specify what guns, precisely, that means.

Retcop
May 20, 2012, 03:52 AM
None on your list,However, I have fired and qualified on many weapons that you did not list.

Lonerider357
May 20, 2012, 05:27 AM
NOPE!

el Godfather
May 20, 2012, 06:11 AM
Warp
Glock like guns is not poll option. Its a comment. It means cheap or inexpensive guns.

jimbo555
May 20, 2012, 07:04 AM
I have fired the glock 19 and 26,owned the 26 for awhile.Traded it for a colt 1911.

sfed
May 21, 2012, 04:02 PM
You would have to lengthen the list as there are non on that list I have ever shot, or owned!!

Skribs
May 21, 2012, 04:55 PM
Most Glock models are out (only -some- 9mm models). None of the handguns I own are listed.

el Godfather
May 21, 2012, 05:08 PM
Poll has certain scope. Also listed cannot be expanded beyond 20. If Mods wish to expand and include handguns, be my guest.

HGUNHNTR
May 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
(Oh Crap) I have shot the HK USP Tactical, a friends gun. He paid too much money for a gun that I can out shoot with my Kahr... In my opinion.
You are shooting it wrong.

MyGreenGuns
May 22, 2012, 12:04 AM
Of your list:
Shot: 6
Owned: 1 (HK USP)
Currently own: 0

Hypothesis A: Glock wins most polls because most have it or used it.
I would say there is some truth to that. I tried every flavor of the kool-aid I could get my hands on. (I was told they were the ONLY worthwhile gun) Fired many, never owned, would not recommend.

Hypothesis B: High end pistols will lose polls irrespective of their quality, simply because most people have not used it.
Most people will want a cheaper gun that works over an expensive gun with slightly better performance/appearance. IMO

skt239
May 22, 2012, 06:21 AM
I've shot a few on your list. There was a time when I was deciding between getting a Glock or HK and rented a few different models. I just shot a Nighthawk for the first time the other weekend and my love for the 1911 was instantly rekindled. This was an old, dirty and uncared for range gun that probably hasn't seen a bore brush or drop of oil in God knows how long. Despite that, it functioned perfectly and was very accurate...

http://img.tapatalk.com/425757d5-683d-2b88.jpg
(sorry about the poor quality)

I'm not sure of the model or options but I'd like to have some kind of 1911 in the same size and configuration in the near future.

flightsimmer
May 22, 2012, 06:51 AM
None of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which of the following handguns have you actually fired?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!