My 2A Article has been selected for publication in the Minnesota Law Review!

PDA

Rmeju
May 16, 2012, 07:06 PM
Hey all,

Just thought I'd share the good news! I just sent in my final edits on my article (note, actually, for those of you legal eagles) on a proposed constitutional framework for adjudicating the scope of the 2A. It will appear in Issue 6, Volume 96 of Minn. L. Rev.

I'll try to post a link (if it's free to follow) once its up.

Hopefully some of the good guys will be able to use some of the arguments in there to good effect! MLR is pretty well respected, so who knows?

If you enjoyed reading about "My 2A Article has been selected for publication in the Minnesota Law Review!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Spats McGee
May 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
Sweet! I'll look forward to reading it, if I can get my hands on it.

Frank Ettin
May 16, 2012, 07:35 PM
Congratulations and very well done.

I hope I can get a copy of your note. I'd very much like to read it.

crossrhodes
May 16, 2012, 10:31 PM
Yes Yes. Post a copy

MrDig
May 16, 2012, 11:44 PM
I would be interested on multiple levels and would be excited to see a copy of it if possible.

Rmeju
May 17, 2012, 12:36 AM
I just talked to my editor. They're running a bit hehind, but it will be posted on www.minnesotalawreview.org, hopefully about mid-June. I'll post a link up in this section once it's out.

I went the realist route as far as what I argued (i.e. the results I reached were not always what I would want as a gun owner, but they are the results that I think are supported or supportable by the SC's jurisprudence). I'd really look forward to hearing some your thoughts on what I wrote!

Yoda
May 17, 2012, 06:10 AM
Published articles will have far more positive effects than anything we write on this forum, and articles involve far more effort and thought.

Well done.

- - - Yoda

jfh
May 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
congrats from a fellow Minnesotan!

Jim H.

gatorjames85
May 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
good for you!

DonP
May 17, 2012, 11:59 AM
Good work.

Hope they pick it up on the Volokh Conspiracy website too, for a broader exposure.

Cosmoline
May 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
Congrats! I remember doing a comment on land sales contracts back in law school. Yours sounds a lot more interesting.

Bartholomew Roberts
May 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
Congratulations! Good work.

Spats McGee
May 17, 2012, 02:32 PM
Rmeju, would you be kind enough to post the title so that we know what to look for?

Derek Zeanah
May 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
Awesome news. Congrats.

GEM
May 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
Ditto. Kate's earlier law reviews of the 2nd Amend. were crucial leading to Heller, etc. So it's great to see that work continuing.

Of course, as a scholar one should be realistic as compared to zealotry. When I did my assault rifle article and jury opinion, I had a bunch of criticism that missed the point and thought I was against such guns - blah. Like I don't have one and shoot it.

Anyway - congrats.

Glenn

Rmeju
May 17, 2012, 07:40 PM
Rmeju, would you be kind enough to post the title so that we know what to look for?

"Loaded Questions: A Suggested Constitutional Framework for the Right To Keep and Bear Arms"

bushmaster1313
May 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
Before Heller I used to catch flak when I said that the RTKBA was an individual right.

I still catch flak saying that is is unconstitutional to give government officials the discretion to decide whether an individual has enough need to get a carry permit.

Rmeju
May 18, 2012, 12:43 AM
Then you're going to love my Note :)

El Tejon
May 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
Congrats from the 1995 winner of the FCRLDF Law Review Note of the Year.

When will it be published?

Rmeju
May 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
@Tejon

We're behind schedule, but the EIC gave my HME an estimate of Mid-June, so hopefully in a few weeks. The article goes up on our website shortly after physical publication (free access, I'll post the link when it's up).

Also, forgive my ingnorance, but FCRLDF? I don't know much about awards for this kind of stuff... the Note was more a labor of love than anything else, so I don't even know what kinds of awards are available to Note authors. I just wanted legitimate academic support out there for litigants arguing these kinds of cases (if any of them happened to find something useful in there).

And thanks for the congrats!

El Tejon
May 18, 2012, 03:25 PM
Also, forgive my ingnorance, but FCRLDF? I don't know much about awards for this kind of stuff

http://www.nradefensefund.org/

Paid for a year of Chicago-Kent.

Rmeju
May 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
Chi-Kent law or undergrad?

Very, very cool award, by the way. Too bad it's only K-12!

Sebastian the Ibis
May 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
RMEJU, will your advisor allow you to post a working copy on SSRN?

It would allow us to get a copy of it now. You can also get feedback before it is published. The page views are also highly prized by faculty appointments committee's if you ever decide to join the academy.

Rmeju
May 19, 2012, 05:43 PM
I thought about SSRN, although I didn't go through all the rules etc. that you need to follow because I figured it'd be out soon anyway. If you guys want an advanced copy, I could look into that.

I won't need a sign off from my advisor, but I'll ask the MLR editor if there's any procedures they like us to follow for forthcoming notes prior to putting it up on SSRN.

Barbri class starts on monday, so I'm sure I'll bump into somebody there who can tell me what's up.

bushmaster1313
May 19, 2012, 10:58 PM
I think it was Mataska of the NRA who came to school and gave a talk on concealed carry.

A student commented that he had been mugged just outside the school.

Mataska called the mugger "a brute" and was accused of being racist.

She immediately answered, to the effect: "You said you got mugged and I called the mugger 'a brute'. I said nothing racist. He was a brute because he was a mugger."

armoredman
May 28, 2012, 03:33 PM
Congrats on the honor, sir.

Rmeju
May 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys!

If you want to download (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2066941) the article, follow the link, or see this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=660824).

Happy reading!

If you enjoyed reading about "My 2A Article has been selected for publication in the Minnesota Law Review!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!