Creating a stash of ammunition in common calibers

PDA

Warp
May 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
Edited: Please do not make assumptions when you respond. If something specific, such as whether or not I have non perishable food, is important to your response, ASK, don't just assume to know what I have.

I have a plastic ammo can a little larger than a .50 where I am collecting small amounts of various calibers. The idea is to have a 'usable' quantity...hopefully enough to completely fill a gun/magazine at least once...in as many of the most commonly encountered calibers possible. This way if I acquire a new-to-me caliber, have a family member or friend or neighbor or whoever with a gun but no ammo (amazing how often this happens to people...), etc I will have something. A general "just in case" collection.

*As a specific example, because people generally don't 'get it'...I used to have a neighbor who was a former marine and was licensed to carry. He even had several firearms at his place. But he didn't have any ammunition. Not a single round. If something happened, an emergency for him/them, SHTF, etc, I would rather have ammunition that would work in his guns, than not.

So far this is what I have. I am obviously lacking quite a bit.....what would you put at the top of the list? What that I havn't mentioned?

Pistol
.25 auto
.32 auto
.380 auto
9mm Makarov
9mm Luger
.40 S&W
.45 ACP
10mm
.38spl
.44spl

Rifle
7.62x39
7.62x54R
30-06 Springfield
7mm Remington Mag
.243 WIN
.270 WIN
30-30 WIN
.308 WIN

Shotgun
.410 gauge
20 gauge
12 gauge

Rimfire
.22lr
.17 HMR

At the top of my list to acquire:

32 S&W short
.357 sig
.45 GAP

16 gauge
10 gauge

300 Winchester mag
6.8mm Remington SPC
.45-70 govt
5.45x39
7mm-08
.30 carbine
FN 5.7x28

.22mag

Edit: And milsurp type calibers

7.5 French
7.5x55 Swiss
6.5x55 Swede
7x57
8x57
6.5 Jap
7.62 Nagant revolver
7.62x25

If you enjoyed reading about "Creating a stash of ammunition in common calibers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
22-rimfire
May 17, 2012, 12:07 AM
Reminds me of a non-smoker buying cigarettes just in case somebody needs a smoke.

You'll need something larger than a 50 cal ammo box.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 12:11 AM
Reminds me of a non-smoker buying cigarettes just in case somebody needs a smoke.

You'll need something larger than a 50 cal ammo box.

Except that cigs go bad. The ammo will not. :D

If cigarettes stored as well as ammo then, yes, I would have a couple packs in the closet. And not only do I not smoke, but not one single family member does either.

You would be amazed how much fits into the ammo can. I generally select the most compact packaging possible for the given round count/caliber, and there is some empty space even with everything from my first post already in there. I'm sure it will expand to a second can before terribly long.

RedHeadHunter
May 17, 2012, 12:12 AM
6.5x55
303 British
22-250
8mm Mouser

These are not Walmart buys, but Academy carries them.

45 colt (will work in 454 and 460 in a pinch)

Warp
May 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
The box + current contents (all fit with some space left)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/4799f107.jpg

Telekinesis
May 17, 2012, 12:35 AM
I'm not sure I agree with your premise, I would put having my own ammo supply above having ammo for other people. Its expensive enough stocking ammo for your own weapons that you'll actually use.

But, to answer your question, the ammo I would choose to stock is

Pistol
9x19
.38 Special
.40 S&W
.45 ACP

Rifle
7.62x39
.30-06

Shotgun
20ga
12ga

Rimfire
.22 lr

I would say those are the most likely calibers someone would ask for. Stocking some of the more "special" types of ammo seems like it would be a waste of space. After all, we're talking about supplying a mag of ammo for a non-gun guy (as someone who likes to shoot should at least have a mag o two of ammo available already). Those non-gun people are unlikely to have a need for .45 GAP, 5.7x28, or 7.62x38R ammo.

Bobson
May 17, 2012, 12:35 AM
You have .25 Auto and .32 Auto, but no .357 Mag or .44 Mag?

I'd add those two big boys to the list if you're dead-set on stocking common calibers. Frankly though, I agree with Telekinesis' post fully - in that I don't necessarily agree, but if I did, I'd stick to the common calibers he mentioned (though I'd add .357 Mag to the handgun calibers).

Warp
May 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
No .357 mag or .44 mag because I anticipate being able to fire .38spl or .44 spl in a firearm that takes the magnum rounds. The object isn't to optimally load the gun, but rather to load it with something it will shoot.

That siad I have .357 mag of my own for my GP100. ;) And some of it is pretty fun stuff.

Also realize that a lot of the listed calibers are my own and work in my guns, and some of the others I intend to have guns for at some point in the future. Multiples of them are calibers I used to own guns for, before selling them.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/e0bb2379.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/7329d523.jpg

I like pictures, in case nobody noticed.

Dr.Rob
May 17, 2012, 01:02 AM
I got rid of calibers I didn't have firearms for.. as they were making me want to go out and buy guns to shoot them in.

I'd agree that 44mag and 357 are a lot more useful in that box than 44 special.

Milsurp 8mm is drying up but a 15 round box of that 80's production Yugo stuff is still under $10, be aware it's corrosive as many military rounds will be.

doc2rn
May 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
I have more .22 Mag and .32 H&R Mag, than I do 9mm and .45 but hey I shoot them more. Do I have some of each on hand because they are more common calibers than mine, of course I do. Having a small supply of one or two boxes of each common caliber is prudent. They can be traded or used in time of need.
Same goes for rifle, I have 200-500 of .223, 30-30, 308, and 30-06 set aside. Although the .22 Mag and 30-06 are the only two that see the majority of hunting time, so I keep at least 2500 of those two on hand at all times.
I stick with what I use. If I suddenly got into 30-30 again it would move up to the front of the reload list and it would get the 2500 treatment.

I would not however collect non-common calibers to just have some.

sfed
May 17, 2012, 01:24 AM
Just me but I would get a case of 17 HMR!!! That is the ultimate rimfire in my opinion, I have a Marlin with the bull barrel and I was blowing up water bottles at 250 yards on a day with mild winds!!! To me that is one of the most fun to shoot rifles I have ever had maybe a close tie with the 10/22! But the 10/22 will not repeatedly bust water bottles like that, squirrels and other small game when the stuff hits the fan!!!

David E
May 17, 2012, 01:26 AM
Seems like a waste of money, time and space for a vague "what if."

With 27 calibers of my own to support, that money would goes towards my own supply.

writerinmo
May 17, 2012, 02:02 AM
One ammo can of various calibers? I have a full ammo can of each of the ones I use.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 02:12 AM
One ammo can of various calibers? I have a full ammo can of each of the ones I use.

I'm sure you do. As do I. But that isn't the point of the box, of this thread. ;)

Here is a sample of my 9x19 ammo cans. You can get just about 1,200 loose rounds into each .30 can.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/48f0096e.jpg

SabbathWolf
May 17, 2012, 02:22 AM
...I'm not sure I agree with your premise, I would put having my own ammo supply above having ammo for other people. Its expensive enough stocking ammo for your own weapons that you'll actually use...

This ^^^^^^^^

Nothing left to say really other than I'm not in the habit of running around helping out other people too dumb to handle their own business like adults.
Especially in a SHTF scenario as you put it.

"WHY" would I want to support somebody who has a whole house full of guns yet no ammo?
That sounds exactly like the totally silly kind of person I would "NOT" want anywhere in the world near me in a SHTF type circumstance at all.
The situation may be more than difficult enough as it is just to care for me and mine, without trying to save every idiot that comes along.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 02:28 AM
"WHY" would I want to support somebody who has a whole house full of guns yet no ammo?
That sounds exactly like the totally silly kind of person I would "NOT" want anywhere in the world near me in a SHTF type circumstance at all.
The situation may be more than difficult enough as it is just to care for me and mine, without trying to save every idiot that comes along.

So my neighbor, who was fresh out of the Marine Corp (honorable discharge, of course, former Marine not ex), who was licensed to carry, who was from Texas and had brought his guns with him when he moved to GA but had not brought any ammo, and had not bothered to buy any ammo since moving...why would I "NOT" want him anywhere near me in a SHTF type circumstance?

Then you have the people who go to the range, shoot all of their ammo, plan to buy more at Walmart later ('cause it's cheaper), then manage to not want to spend the money OR get super unlucky and crap happens before they get their Walmart run completed.

Please don't try to tell me that a person without ammunition for their guns is automatically and necessarily an idiot that is not trustworthy enough to be armed. Blanket statements like that are generally a bad idea.

BTW: I have no idea where you got the "whole house full of guns" part from. Most likely the person with a gun but no ammo for it (or not enough ammo for it...) won't have a "house full" of guns, but rather one or two. In my experience, of course.

2zulu1
May 17, 2012, 02:39 AM
Do you handload?
How many rounds per week are you shooting?

I have dedicated 38 and 44 Special revolvers, but I shoot handloaded 357/44mag to stay in shape along with several other service calibers.

crazyjennyblack
May 17, 2012, 02:41 AM
Seriously, people spend way too much time on this whole "hit the fan" stuff (who puts enough stuff in a fan to come up with that phrase anyhow?:neener:)

However, if I were to prep for that remote kind of possibility, I would buy a spare gun and stock some ammo etc... for it. Then if I needed to give it to someone, i could hand them both the gun and the ammo, and they would practically owe me their soul in return. This avoids the confusion of a box of random ammo, plus I would have another gun to shoot in the meantime.

As for those people who have a gun already but no ammo, usually (at least in my area and family) they are in common calibers like 12 gauge, .22, and .30-06, all of which I have ammo for anyway. My uncle had a .22 rifle in his closet for almost 30 years with not so much as a round to put in it....

2zulu1
May 17, 2012, 02:51 AM
Seriously, people spend way too much time on this whole "hit the fan" stuff (who puts enough stuff in a fan to come up with that phrase anyhow?:neener:)

However, if I were to prep for that remote kind of possibility, I would buy a spare gun and stock some ammo etc... for it. Then if I needed to give it to someone, i could hand them both the gun and the ammo, and they would practically owe me their soul in return. This avoids the confusion of a box of random ammo, plus I would have another gun to shoot in the meantime.

As for those people who have a gun already but no ammo, usually (at least in my area and family) they are in common calibers like 12 gauge, .22, and .30-06, all of which I have ammo for anyway. My uncle had a .22 rifle in his closet for almost 30 years with not so much as a round to put in it....
+1

Nice common sense approach, kinda hard to shoot ammo you don't have guns for. Plus, if you buy ammo you don't have guns for, how do you test for reliability?

Warp
May 17, 2012, 02:57 AM
Do you handload?
How many rounds per week are you shooting?

I have dedicated 38 and 44 Special revolvers, but I shoot handloaded 357/44mag to stay in shape along with several other service calibers.

I do not reload. Yet.

Not enough.

Seriously, people spend way too much time on this whole "hit the fan" stuff (who puts enough stuff in a fan to come up with that phrase anyhow?)

That is a great point, and part of my future plans. I could even give out a gun or two right now, if they were really deserving. Just milsurp rifles though. However, spare firearms that are not craptacular cost a LOT more than some extra boxes of ammunition...and they hurt the wallet (even if psychological) a lot more than adding a box of a different caliber to every 2nd or 3rd sizeable ammunition purchase.

I do believe I am already approaching the point of diminishing returns where the most common and likely calibers are covered. A few more rifle calibers, maybe .357sig, .22 mag and I might be at that point.

If I could buy very good/excellent condition Yugo 59/66 SKSs for $130 shipped, which is what I paid for mine, I would just buy a couple of those. I also consider a handgun or two, something inexpensive that still works, for the future. Maybe a simple inexpensive .38spl revolver. I also consider a ~$250 range 12 gauge pump.

SabbathWolf
May 17, 2012, 04:46 AM
So my neighbor, who was fresh out of the Marine Corp (honorable discharge, of course, former Marine not ex), who was licensed to carry, who was from Texas and had brought his guns with him when he moved to GA but had not brought any ammo, and had not bothered to buy any ammo since moving...why would I "NOT" want him anywhere near me in a SHTF type circumstance?

Then you have the people who go to the range, shoot all of their ammo, plan to buy more at Walmart later ('cause it's cheaper), then manage to not want to spend the money OR get super unlucky and crap happens before they get their Walmart run completed.

Please don't try to tell me that a person without ammunition for their guns is automatically and necessarily an idiot that is not trustworthy enough to be armed. Blanket statements like that are generally a bad idea.

BTW: I have no idea where you got the "whole house full of guns" part from. Most likely the person with a gun but no ammo for it (or not enough ammo for it...) won't have a "house full" of guns, but rather one or two. In my experience, of course.

Someone elses ammo supply is not your problem. Period.
You can take that any way you want to.
If I went to the range and shot up all my ammo, then that would be "MY" fault...not yours.
I'd not be expecting somebody else to refill my stock for me.
In fact, I'd never have shot up "all" my ammo in the first place.
Your friend is silly and you're a rube.
That's how I see it anyways.
Don't care if you agree with me or not.
I'll NEVER place myself in his position or yours either.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 17, 2012, 04:55 AM
28 gauge

kozak6
May 17, 2012, 05:02 AM
You would be better off buying batteries, flashlights, first aid supplies, potable water, nonperishable food items, etc instead of stocking up on weird obsolete military ammo.

If you want to start an ammo collection, start an ammo collection.

If you want to prepare for disaster, prepare for disaster instead of obsessing about corner cases and buying 7.65 Longue and .310 shotshells for your neighbors.

Deus Machina
May 17, 2012, 05:14 AM
It's not a bad idea, in theory. But I would limit it to the really common calibers.
I mean, you've got to have an excuse for the wife when you buy something in a new caliber, right?

bannockburn
May 17, 2012, 06:34 AM
If I were to stock extra ammo for use by others (family and friends wanting to go shooting, etc.), it would only be in calibers for guns that I own. Probably in the following calibers/gauges:

.22LR
.38 Special
9X19
.45ACP

7.62X39
7.62X51
.30-06
.30-30

12GA
20GA

bluethunder1962
May 17, 2012, 06:47 AM
I love buying bulk ammo to save for a "rainy day" but my problem is they keep disapearing.

RedHeadHunter
May 17, 2012, 06:54 AM
I don't know if I agree with the "in case of emergency" thought, but I do have ammo and reload for ammo I don't have firearms for.

Since I built a very informal shooting range on our family property, I bring people that have never shot or have not shot in many years to spend the afternoon on the range. People from countries that don't allow firearms are the most fun because they really don't know what to expect.

Every now and then I get "My (friend or mom or . . .) has this gun and I don't know what it is." I tell them to bring it and we'll see if we can make it shoot. I check the condition, then determine which round will fit. They get to try out a gun that they have access to with out spending any $$. I have converted several new fans of shooting this way.

Havok7416
May 17, 2012, 07:03 AM
I love buying bulk ammo to save for a "rainy day" but my problem is they keep disapearing.
Maybe you should move somewhere with fewer rainy days!:neener:

beatledog7
May 17, 2012, 07:26 AM
Building an inventory of ammo makes sense for a lot of reasons, but for me it has to be cartridges I can actually use.

I have a decent stock of components, and I try to reload 100 or so rounds a week in between other things. I'm slowly building inventory that way, but only in the calibers for which I actually have firearms. To those who load a lot of rounds that probably doesn't sound like much, but if I load just 100 a week and shoot just 50 per week, I add a net 2500 or so every year. Making two for every one I shoot makes sense to me.

If I were to have additional time and financial resources to devote to stockpiling, it'd be in other things (I won't bore you with the list) that people would value in a crisis. I figure it this way: if it ever gets bad enough that people are out with guns seeking the things they need to survive, and they can't be bothered with things like laws and morality, I'd rather keep my ammo and barter with the other stuff.

In such a world, trust would be the thing in shortest supply. Why help someone else--a person who if pressed will ultimately turn on me--to be armed?

Lex Luthier
May 17, 2012, 07:38 AM
Ammunition is one small part of stocking up. It isn't always about SHTF, but there is great comfort in believing you have the means to protect yourself and survive a catastrophe.

Bleach will be like gold. Toilet paper, soap, extra boots and shoes, non-perishable food items. Propane. A good tactical rig, since carrying a mission critical load out in a suit jacket just won't work. The commodity that will run short real fast in that situation is common sense, so I would put that on top of the list and keep it there.

I suggest reading "One Second After". It details the life of a small college town in desperate times following an EMP.

SabbathWolf
May 17, 2012, 08:31 AM
Ammunition is one small part of stocking up. It isn't always about SHTF, but there is great comfort in believing you have the means to protect yourself and survive a catastrophe.

Bleach will be like gold. Toilet paper, soap, extra boots and shoes, non-perishable food items. Propane. A good tactical rig, since carrying a mission critical load out in a suit jacket just won't work. The commodity that will run short real fast in that situation is common sense, so I would put that on top of the list and keep it there.

I suggest reading "One Second After". It details the life of a small college town in desperate times following an EMP.

A good tactical rig?
I am assuming you mean some sort of LBE/LBV/Plate Carrier or similar?
I'm surprised actually that this doesn't come up much here that I've noticed.
I agree with you 100%

In addition to water, food, 1st Aid Supplies, commo, shelter, fire, etc., in an emergency...all the guns and ammo in the world won't mean a thing if you have no means of carrying said items if you have to relocate.

When I think of relocating, I always plan for the "worst" case scenario, yet still hope for the best anyways.
By "worst," I mean you are going on foot because of no vehicle fuel or jammed roadways or whatever the case may be.

Good load bearing equipment is one of those things you hope you'll NEVER ever need...but if you do, it will truly suck not to have it!

Sgt_R
May 17, 2012, 08:38 AM
So my neighbor, who was fresh out of the Marine Corp (honorable discharge, of course, former Marine not ex), who was licensed to carry, who was from Texas and had brought his guns with him when he moved to GA but had not brought any ammo, and had not bothered to buy any ammo since moving...

This exact thing happened to me once, except I had just been discharged from the Air Force and moved from Texas to Ohio. I brought a Mossberg 590 with me but no ammo, and my new next door neighbor was kind enough to gift me about 25 rounds of assorted 12 gauge shells to tide me over until I could pick up a few boxes of my own.

As to the OP, I'd keep it simple. Telekinesis has the right idea:

Pistol
9x19
.38 Special
.40 S&W
.45 ACP

Rifle
7.62x39
.30-06

Shotgun
20ga
12ga

Rimfire
.22 lr

Buck Kramer
May 17, 2012, 08:54 AM

Do you live in Seattle? lol I have the same problem

David E
May 17, 2012, 08:59 AM

As a former Marine myself, the reason why is, despite his experience, he sounds like an idiot.

Why do you think that's YOUR problem to solve? I'm not going to stock any .256 Belchfire Magnums just in case some dumb cluck has something chambered in that obscure round, but has no ammo for it...AND I find out about it AND think it's safe for me to give him ammo that he could kill me with (in your SHTF scenario)

Please don't try to tell me that a person without ammunition for their guns is automatically and necessarily an idiot that is not trustworthy enough to be armed.

Too late, sorry!

Look, if you want to stock ammo in oddball calibers you have nothing chambered for, that's your business. But for me, a much better reason is in case _I_ come across something that I take possession of, I can put it to use immediately.

But first, I'll make sure I have "enough"* ammo in the various calibers I currently own.

* "enough" is a whole other topic.

SabbathWolf
May 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
As a former Marine myself, the reason why is, despite his experience, he sounds like an idiot.

Why do you think that's YOUR problem to solve? I'm not going to stock any .256 Belchfire Magnums just in case some dumb cluck has something chambered in that obscure round, but has no ammo for it...AND I find out about it AND think it's safe for me to give him ammo that he could kill me with (in your SHTF scenario)

Too late, sorry!

Look, if you want to stock ammo in oddball calibers you have nothing chambered for, that's your business. But for me, a much better reason is in case _I_ come across something that I take possession of, I can put it to use immediately.

But first, I'll make sure I have "enough"* ammo in the various calibers I currently own.

* "enough" is a whole other topic.

Thank you!
Exactly right on every point.
;)

HGUNHNTR
May 17, 2012, 09:05 AM
Well thats an odd thing to do, but it looks like you have the more popular stuff covered.
**Note** .410 is a caliber, not a guage. ;)

22-rimfire
May 17, 2012, 09:08 AM
Seriously, it might be fun to do but I doubt that I want to supply my neighbor's firearm that he does not care enough to even buy ammo for it. I can see it now... gee no 41 mags left, better talk to warp and see if he has any. Maybe I can trade him a can of chunky soup for a few rounds?

I suspect your thinking is about on the money however in terms of quantity. In a "situation", I doubt most would need more than a box of ammo for whatever gun they have. For the most part, it would provide a calming effect.

fatcat4620
May 17, 2012, 09:10 AM
If you can stock ammo in calibers you dont own them you dont have enough guns:evil:
I stock 12 gauge, .40 s&w, 9x18, .45 acp, 7.62x25, .38 special, .357 mag, .22lr, 7.62x39, 7.62x54 and I dont have jack compared to most.

Sgt_R
May 17, 2012, 09:16 AM

I know I'm not the "idiot" in question, but in my case:

I lived in the dorms until my (honorable) discharge. I had just pulled my shotgun out of the base armory and moved halfway across the country. I hadn't been to the ammo store yet (actually, I was so new to town that I didn't even know where the ammo store was; this was before smartphones, and my internet hadn't been hooked up yet).

If that makes me an idiot... whatever. Your opinion is worth exactly what I paid for it.

R

22-rimfire
May 17, 2012, 09:27 AM
Announcement.... I have figured it out! Warp is a hoarder! He hoarded so much already and now is wanting to hoard for his fellow man.

I'm one too :D or I would be considered that by many people. But I just can't bring myself to dumping perfectly good boxed cartridges loosely into an ammo can just because it takes up less space unless I bought them that way of course.

SabbathWolf
May 17, 2012, 09:28 AM

I lived in the dorms until my (honorable) discharge. I had just pulled my shotgun out of the base armory and moved halfway across the country. I hadn't been to the ammo store yet (actually, I was so new to town that I didn't even know where the ammo store was; this was before smartphones, and my internet hadn't been hooked up yet).

If that makes me an idiot... whatever. Your opinion is worth exactly what I paid for it.

R

Did you expect your neighbor to give you his ammo, or did you go get some on your own?
That's the difference I think.

Captains1911
May 17, 2012, 09:29 AM
This is one of the strangest threads I have ever read...seriously.

Havok7416
May 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
This is one of the strangest threads I have ever read...seriously.

...And here I thought I was the only one.

jrdolall
May 17, 2012, 09:42 AM
There is a reason that people who really have to depend on their weapons for survival will often try t limit the types of ammo needed. That is why we have both rifles and handguns in 32-20 and other rounds from the late 1800s as it made sense for one round to work in both firearms.
I have at east 100 rounds for every gun I own but none for a caliber I do not have. Finding a great deal on .44 mag is not a deal to me since I dont own one.

In virtually any situation that would require you to defens yourself for an extended period of time it only makes sense to stock 3-4 types of ammo since mobility could become a major factor. I would have to devote a full day to loading all of my rifles and all of my ammo into a truck and getting out of town. Do I really need the black powder gun? How many .22 rifles should I carry? Is the 20 ga worth carrying?

Rifle- Based on ammo availability and prices today this would probably be a .223 AR. It will kill anything at any distance so it can be used for sd and hunting. AK may be your favorite but the ammo weighs more if you need to be on foot for an extended time One of the 9mm carbines might need to be the choice because that would allow you to carr onless type of ammo but there are obviously some drawbacks.
Shotgun- Any 12 g. Pumps are probably more reliable than semis. Ammo is heavy.
Handgun- 9mm because of the price of ammo today and that it can be used in a rifle as well.

I have more money in ammo than I have in guns. As mentioned earlier I have some for all of my guns but I keep a decent supply of 12g, 9mm, and .22 We probably shoot .22 10 times more than other rounds combined. Headquarters will not be sending more ammo so having 25 different calibers will be moot in a shtf scenario. If my neighbor needs ammo then he better have the same calibers I have.

Sgt_R
May 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
Did you expect your neighbor to give you his ammo, or did you go get some on your own?
That's the difference I think.

I didn't expect it. He was working on his van when I moved in, and offered to help me unload some of the more unwieldy items in my car. He happened to be OC'ing a Kimber 1911 at the time, and recognized my Pelican case, so the conversation naturally turned to guns. When he found out I didn't have any ammo for my shotgun, he offered to give me some. Basically he was just being a good neighbor.

I have purchased plenty of ammo since then, and wouldn't hesitate to give a box of 9mm to someone in a similar situation.

R

goon
May 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
How are you planning to acquire guns for these calibers in a crisis?
I think you'd be better off adding ammunition for the calibers that you already own rather than diverting funds to feed guns you don't own.

C0untZer0
May 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
I've seen some prepper videos about storing ammo for trading.

It sounds like a combination of hording in response to anxiety and speculative purchasing for some future possible benefit/profit.

I think you could drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the future possible utility of various calibers - determing the demand versus the future supply.

As far as just having some ammo on hand in case you or someone else purdhases a handgun and doesn't have ammo for it?

I can see that you might purchase a handgun and the shop doesn't have ammo for that pistol, but is it really that big of a deal that they can't drive to another gun shop to get some or order it online?

See, this is why the Illinois 72 hour waiting period is such a cool thing. After you purchase your pistol and find out that the store you are purchasing it from has no ammo in stock - you have two whole days to go out and get ammo for your pistol.

SabbathWolf
May 17, 2012, 11:57 AM
I didn't expect it. He was working on his van when I moved in, and offered to help me unload some of the more unwieldy items in my car. He happened to be OC'ing a Kimber 1911 at the time, and recognized my Pelican case, so the conversation naturally turned to guns. When he found out I didn't have any ammo for my shotgun, he offered to give me some. Basically he was just being a good neighbor.

I have purchased plenty of ammo since then, and wouldn't hesitate to give a box of 9mm to someone in a similar situation.

R

OK, that's reasonable to me.
I can see giving a friend a box of ammo.
But I still cannot fathom "stocking up" on a bunch of ammo for guns I don't even own...just so I can give it away to other people.
It's just...well...weirdness.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/smilies/c920a3a7.gif

denton
May 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
If SHTF, a firearm and ammunition may be of some use. But peanut butter, a change of clothes, and toilet paper will definitely be of use.

Sgt_R
May 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
But I still cannot fathom "stocking up" on a bunch of ammo for guns I don't even own...just so I can give it away to other people.

There's something we agree on. ;)

I wouldn't hesitate to give a box of 9mm to a friend in need, but I can't see stocking up on obscure mil-surp calibers for firearms I don't even own, on a "just in case" basis. But as they say, to each his own.

R

Warp
May 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
Someone elses ammo supply is not your problem. Period.
You can take that any way you want to.
If I went to the range and shot up all my ammo, then that would be "MY" fault...not yours.
I'd not be expecting somebody else to refill my stock for me.
In fact, I'd never have shot up "all" my ammo in the first place.
Your friend is silly and you're a rube.
That's how I see it anyways.
Don't care if you agree with me or not.
I'll NEVER place myself in his position or yours either.

I would have been better off in a SHTF if he were armed. With a loaded gun. Period.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
You would be better off buying batteries, flashlights, first aid supplies, potable water, nonperishable food items, etc instead of stocking up on weird obsolete military ammo.

If you want to start an ammo collection, start an ammo collection.

If you want to prepare for disaster, prepare for disaster instead of obsessing about corner cases and buying 7.65 Longue and .310 shotshells for your neighbors.

Can the attitude, please.

I have batteries. And flashlights. And as many first aid supplies as I have the knowledge to use. And over 100 gallons of potable water. And a Berkey counter top gravity fed filter with the black elements. And a katadyn hiker pro. And nonperishable food. I AM preparing for disaster. I have everything you just listed and then some. And obsessing? Please. I think you're obsessing over my can of ammunition more than I am.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 01:42 PM
In such a world, trust would be the thing in shortest supply. Why help someone else--a person who if pressed will ultimately turn on me--to be armed?

Sounds like you are doing a poor job of screening people and making poor decisions on who to give ammo to.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 01:50 PM
As a former Marine myself, the reason why is, despite his experience, he sounds like an idiot

David E, it seems that you, and a LOT of other posters, would do well to take a step back and stop making assumptions that lead to insulting other people.

The home he came from was full of gun owners and what I would call casual shooters. He didn't sock away ammunition in his bedroom when he left for active duty in the Marine Corps. His fiance got a job out in a different state while he was away. As soon as he got back he grabbed as much stuff as he could get into a U-Haul and moved. He didn't take ammunition with the guns, in part, because to him it would have felt like taking his family's ammunition, as it wasn't really HIS and his alone.

Once in the new state he had a lot of things to do. Unpack. Move in. See his fiance he hadn't for however long. Running out to buy ammo wasn't at the very top of the list.

On top of all of that his fiance, unfortunately, was kind of afraid of guns and really didn't even want them there at all. He took one step at a time, and started with bringing the empty guns. As it happens I did gift him a few boxes of 12 gauge shells on his birthday, once I knew the full story. His fiance wasn't thrilled with it, but the ammo stayed.

So please, everybody is different. Different people have different circumstances and, *gasp*, it IS possible for a person who is not an idiot to be found without a gun and ammunition.

PS: If you fast forward to today the now-wife has her 'CCW' and, I believe, her own gun(s).

Rail Driver
May 17, 2012, 01:53 PM
Personally, as long as you've got a stock of 9mm, .40s&w, .45ACP, and .38sp you've covered the most common pistols you're going to encounter in ANY situation, not just a "fecal matter striking the impeller" situation - As to rifle calibers, stick to the hunting calibers along with 5.56 and 7.62x39 - you'll find more of those types of rifles to be common than the more esoteric milsurp calibers you have listed in your "on the list to acquire". *Edit to add - some of the calibers you listed, you may NEVER come across a firearm that uses them, especially in a SHTF scenario (which we don't discuss here unless people creatively word their titles and initial posts as you did)

Also, it doesn't make much sense to stock ammo you don't have a firearm for *unless you have firm plans to acquire a firearm in that caliber* - Stocking ammo for guns you don't have is no different than burning cash in the fireplace instead of the pile of wood sitting next to it.

If you're looking to arm up the neighbors, buy a crate of Mosin/Nagants and a few cases of x54r ammo - that way you can not only hand them some ammunition, but a firearm that you know is safe to use - If it came down to you giving someone some ammo and they shot it resulting in a malfunction either of their gun or the ammo, you'll be blamed for it regardless (haven't you noticed that it's always someone else's fault when things go wrong?). In a national disaster situation, there will be legal repercussions to deal with when things get back to "normal" - in a "end of the world" type scenario, the repercussions will likely be much more immediate and final.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 01:55 PM
There's something we agree on.

I wouldn't hesitate to give a box of 9mm to a friend in need, but I can't see stocking up on obscure mil-surp calibers for firearms I don't even own, on a "just in case" basis. But as they say, to each his own.

R

I'm pretty sure I don't have any obscure military calibers. I am sure I listed some in the potential acquisition section, but I don't actually have any.

Also, I don't know about your definition of "stocking up", but I do not consider a single box of ammunition to be "stocking up". That's all any one caliber for the box is to be. One box or one package or what small-size-unit.

Personally, as long as you've got a stock of 9mm, .40s&w, .45ACP, and .38sp you've covered the most common pistols you're going to encounter in ANY situation, not just a "fecal matter striking the impeller" situation - As to rifle calibers, stick to the hunting calibers along with 5.56 and 7.62x39 - you'll find more of those types of rifles to be common than the more esoteric milsurp calibers you have listed in your "on the list to acquire".

Also, it doesn't make much sense to stock ammo you don't have a firearm for *unless you have firm plans to acquire a firearm in that caliber* - Stocking ammo for guns you don't have is no different than burning cash in the fireplace instead of the pile of wood sitting next to it.

If you're looking to arm up the neighbors, buy a crate of Mosin/Nagants and a few cases of x54r ammo - that way you can not only hand them some ammunition, but a firearm that you know is safe to use - If it came down to you giving someone some ammo and they shot it resulting in a malfunction either of their gun or the ammo, you'll be blamed for it regardless (haven't you noticed that it's always someone else's fault when things go wrong?). In a national disaster situation, there will be legal repercussions to deal with when things get back to "normal" - in a "end of the world" type scenario, the repercussions will likely be much more immediate and final.

I find it kind of funny that you believe giving somebody a gun + ammunition has less legal liability than giving them ammunition alone. (and not reloads)

David E
May 17, 2012, 02:03 PM

I lived in the dorms until my (honorable) discharge. I had just pulled my shotgun out of the base armory and moved halfway across the country. I hadn't been to the ammo store yet (actually, I was so new to town that I didn't even know where the ammo store was;

You didn't buy ammo before leaving the area that you knew where the "ammo stores" were, then traveled 1/2 way across the country and didn't see a single Wal-Mart??

If I keep a gun for defense, I get ammo for it, ASAP. I do not rely upon the charity of others for my ammo needs.

YMMV

Warp
May 17, 2012, 02:05 PM
What is this "relying on" others? Who said the friends or neighbors were "expecting" me to give them something, or "relying" on me to give them something? Where are you guys getting this?

It seems that the majority of the posts are nothing but detractors making straw man arguments/assumptions upon which they can call people without ammunition idiots or assume that I do not have this, that, or the other because, well, I don't know why. Next thing you know I am going to be accused of not having any guns of my own simply because I did not say that I did.

Please, no more posts that make assumptions. If it's that important to your point, ask first, don't assume

Captains1911
May 17, 2012, 02:28 PM
Whether they are "relying" on you or not, you are collecting ammo, some in odd calibers, for people too incompetent to stock their own. It's just very strange and hard for many of us to understand. If you're not willing to hear opinions, don't post, otherwise this is the interweb and the nature of it.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
I am willing to hear opinions about what I am doing.

But I am tired of being told I need to stock toilet paper or perishable food instead (as if I don't have any, or as if this is a one or the other thing), and I am tired of my friend being called an idiot. I am also tired of people making assumptions and then basing their entire post around those assumptions, especially since the assumptions are incorrect.

David E
May 17, 2012, 02:40 PM
We have at least two people either saying they'll supply someone's else's ammo needs or being given their only ammo (at the time) from their new neighbor.

I simply stated that _I_ don't rely upon the charity of others for my ammo needs. That means I'd never ask you for any because I'd already have my own. Don't know why that would bother you. But then, I can't fathom why you think it's your responsibility to supply ammo to folks that don't take the issue seriously in the first place.

But if it makes you happy, then by all means, enjoy your pursuit.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
David E: Have you read through this thread yet?

If not, please do so.

If so, please go back and read the part where I said I would be better off with him armed, than not, again...and tell me why you disagree with that statement.

bikerdoc
May 17, 2012, 02:44 PM
My Opinion: You are doing what you think is right. You have a plan and good intentions. Good luck and God bless.
But I would add some 357.

Captains1911
May 17, 2012, 02:50 PM

If not, please do so.

If so, please go back and read the part where I said I would be better off with him armed, than not, again...and tell me why you disagree with that statement.
I really don't understand how you will be better off in an emergency by supplying a magazine worth of ammo to somebody who was unable to take care of themselves.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 02:52 PM
I really don't understand how you will be better off in an emergency by supplying somebody else who was unable to take care of themselves a magazine worth of ammo.

If you don't understand how having a friend, neighbor, and former Marine armed during a SHTF would be a good thing I don't know what to tell you.

writerinmo
May 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
I've read it all the way through, a couple of times even, and still have to agree with the posters who hold that there is no reason to concern yourself with stocking ammo for other people especially in calibers you don't personally own. If I had any type of firearm and for whatever reason (living in the military dorms or in someone elses household) didn't have any ammunition, if I drove "halfway across the country", at some point I am sure I would have been in or nearby a Wamart and thus would have had the opportunity to purchase some. If, for whatever reason, I didn't feel the need to, then it would be no one's fault but my own and I personally wouldn't accept a handout from a new neighbor just on the basis that I wouldn't assume being placed in that position of need. I would hop my rear end into my vehicle and take care of my own situation instead of relying on someone else. First off, you would never have known that I didn't have ammunition as that knowledge is certainly NOT something that I would mention in casual conversation with someone that I had only known a short period of time.

If you're stocking it for trading purposes, more power to you, it's just unneeded weight and space that would have been better served taking care of your own needs. Conceivably you could go the rest of your life without ever running into someone needing that particular caliber.

All my friends shoot the same calibers I do with the exception that I don't use .223, we all base our armories on 9mm, .40, 7.62x39, .22 and .223.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
My Opinion: You are doing what you think is right. You have a plan and good intentions. Good luck and God bless.
But I would add some 357.

Read the thread. ;)

Warp
May 17, 2012, 02:56 PM
I've read it all the way through, a couple of times even, and still have to agree with the posters who hold that there is no reason to concern yourself with stocking ammo for other people especially in calibers you don't personally own. If I had any type of firearm and for whatever reason (living in the military dorms or in someone elses household) didn't have any ammunition, if I drove "halfway across the country", at some point I am sure I would have been in or nearby a Wamart and thus would have had the opportunity to purchase some. If, for whatever reason, I didn't feel the need to, then it would be no one's fault but my own and I personally wouldn't accept a handout from a new neighbor just on the basis that I wouldn't assume being placed in that position of need. I would hop my rear end into my vehicle and take care of my own situation instead of relying on someone else. First off, you would never have known that I didn't have ammunition as that knowledge is certainly NOT something that I would mention in casual conversation with someone that I had only known a short period of time.

If you're stocking it for trading purposes, more power to you, it's just unneeded weight and space that would have been better served taking care of your own needs. Conceivably you could go the rest of your life without ever running into someone needing that particular caliber.

All my friends shoot the same calibers I do with the exception that I don't use .223, we all base our armories on 9mm, .40, 7.62x39, .22 and .223.

Such as?

Ian
May 17, 2012, 03:01 PM
I did the same sort of thing, but for my own guns. Two .30 cal ammo cans with a box each of every caliber I own a gun in. The idea being that if I ever need to bug out (which could be for something as un-tactical as a fire), I can grab a single can and have something usable no matter what gun(s) I wind up having.

The cans each have:
6.5 Swede
.303 Brit
8x57
7.62x39
7.62x54R
9x18
.22LR
.45ACP
9x19
12ga

Warp
May 17, 2012, 03:04 PM
I like that idea. I was going to say that eventually as I slowly collect more calibers the can might start to consist solely of ammunition in calibers I do NOT have guns for, just to keep it at one can...but it would make sense to simply split the ammunition at that time and have one can with ammo for MY guns, and one for the rest, for a scenario such as what you just mentioned.

Plus covering ammo for my guns would cover MOST other guns as well.

writerinmo
May 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
I think that the "using the space to take care of your own needs" would be self-explanatory. If not, then simply insert any of the items that you personally use on an ongoing basis. Since you enjoy the "what if" scenario, what if this person gets the ammo from you and uses it for a less than legal purpose? Why not just stock up on multiple guns in 9mm and then lend them out as well?

If you feel the need to do it then do it, why bother starting a thread on it in an online forum, it seems you had all your answers ahead of time as it is. Just go to Cabelas and buy a box of everything, then it's all taken care of, isn't it...

Warp
May 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
I think that the "using the space to take care of your own needs" would be self-explanatory. If not, then simply insert any of the items that you personally use on an ongoing basis. Since you enjoy the "what if" scenario, what if this person gets the ammo from you and uses it for a less than legal purpose? Why not just stock up on multiple guns in 9mm and then lend them out as well?

If you feel the need to do it then do it, why bother starting a thread on it in an online forum, it seems you had all your answers ahead of time as it is. Just go to Cabelas and buy a box of everything, then it's all taken care of, isn't it...

It seems you have not read the thread yet. Please read the thread, starting with the first post, through the end. Some of your questions have already been answered.

Captains1911
May 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
If you don't understand how having a friend, neighbor, and former Marine armed during a SHTF would be a good thing I don't know what to tell you.
I can see it, but it make WAY more sense to achieve that by stocking your own ammo and guns that you could then lend to somebody nearby (i.e 2 or 3 AR-15s and 10,000 rounds of ammo).

SabbathWolf
May 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
I would have been better off in a SHTF if he were armed. With a loaded gun. Period.

Lol....
You would have been better off in a SHTF to surround yourself with people who can take care of themselves instead of needing you as a baby sitter. Period.
:D

readyeddy
May 17, 2012, 04:06 PM
I think this a great idea. Many good people don't plan for emergencies so having the ability to provide ammo can make a huge difference, and having a network of friends and neighbors in a SHTF scenario is important.

With respect to ammo selection, I wouldn't include .357 Mag or .44 Mag because .38 Special and .44 Special will fire in either gun. This will help to save space and be more efficient.

The only other thing I can think of is to accumulate more of the common calibers.

Salmoneye
May 17, 2012, 04:35 PM
Bestest thread EVER!

http://users.gmavt.net/ubavt/gifs/popcorn.gif

IBTL

valnar
May 17, 2012, 04:57 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but got the gist of it.

I would drop the pea shooter pistol calibers. If anyone has a gun in that caliber, well, too bad.

I'd also drop the military surplus calibers except 7.62x39 and .223 of course. If anyone has a surplus Mauser, they'd have ammo for it. What "normal" person goes out of their way to buy an ol' surplus rifle and NOT buy ammo for it? That scenario seems unlikely.

Other than that, add .357Mag to your main list. I'd ignore calibers on that second list of things you want to acquire.

writerinmo
May 17, 2012, 05:03 PM
I have read the entire thread through, but it's taken on a decidedly "troll" appearance. I wasn't aware that the High Road dealt in hypothetical BS postings like this, over time I've seen pretty much all of them get locked quickly by a mod.

Do whatever you want to do, you aren't here looking for actual input anyway it seems.

David E
May 17, 2012, 05:17 PM

If not, please do so.

Yes, I've read it. You asked for opinions then bristle when people give them. :rolleyes:

Regardless of what experience or history someone may or may not have, I'd have to ask: WHY don't they have any ammo? Was it stolen? Lost? Left at the "ammo store" 1/2 the country away? Have they decided that guns are never the answer, swore they'd never kill again, but won't sell them due to sentimental value?

Or do they just not care?

Usually, a bulletless person just doesn't care. I dont need such a person backing me up. No, he can take Point....

It is not my mission to buy all kinds of ammo that I personally cannot use just in case I come across someone who has a firearm but no ammo for it. That money would be better spent on supplementing my own calibers.

That reminds me, I'm not out, but I'm a little light on .35 Remington.... but I'm not going to ask you or my neighbor for any.....

YMMV

(IBTL!)

Ignition Override
May 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
The caliber won't ever be an issue for many of us.

If supplies of refrigerated insulin for a family member were to somehow stop and be impossible to order/buy, then boxes of every possible kind of ammo would not be the solution.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 05:41 PM
Captains1911]I can see it, but it make WAY more sense to achieve that by stocking your own ammo and guns that you could then lend to somebody nearby (i.e 2 or 3 AR-15s and 10,000 rounds of ammo).

lol

3 AR-15s. Yeah, that would only set me back $2,000+ for the guns alone. If I can afford a couple hundred bucks in ammo over the course of a few years, I can afford $2k for some guns, and then mags/ammo on top of that. :rolleyes:

Warp
May 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
I think this a great idea. Many good people don't plan for emergencies so having the ability to provide ammo can make a huge difference, and having a network of friends and neighbors in a SHTF scenario is important.

With respect to ammo selection, I wouldn't include .357 Mag or .44 Mag because .38 Special and .44 Special will fire in either gun. This will help to save space and be more efficient.

The only other thing I can think of is to accumulate more of the common calibers.

Okay. Good. Next step...the "more of the common calibers". Which ones would you get next?

I have read the entire thread through, but it's taken on a decidedly "troll" appearance. I wasn't aware that the High Road dealt in hypothetical BS postings like this, over time I've seen pretty much all of them get locked quickly by a mod.

Do whatever you want to do, you aren't here looking for actual input anyway it seems.

Hypothetical? What's hypothetical about buying ammo? Heck, I even posted a picture of the ammo and the can. That isn't hypothetical, that's right there in living color. ;)

What you fail to understand is what I asked. I asked what calibers. I did NOT ask if you thought I should do it. But hey, I realize posting anything on a forum is basically an invitation for others to tell you it's a bad idea, even if you didn't ask. So, I realize you don't care for the idea and won't be doing it yourself. I get that, and I get why you are saying that. If that is your only input I ask that you please stop trolling the thread now. If you have some other kind of input, or something constructive, by all means, post it. Thank you.

I didn't read the whole thread, but got the gist of it.

I would drop the pea shooter pistol calibers. If anyone has a gun in that caliber, well, too bad.

I'd also drop the military surplus calibers except 7.62x39 and .223 of course. If anyone has a surplus Mauser, they'd have ammo for it. What "normal" person goes out of their way to buy an ol' surplus rifle and NOT buy ammo for it? That scenario seems unlikely.

Other than that, add .357Mag to your main list. I'd ignore calibers on that second list of things you want to acquire.

Drop the pea shooter pistol calibers...lol...you have a point there.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
Regardless of what experience or history someone may or may not have, I'd have to ask: WHY don't they have any ammo? Was it stolen? Lost? Left at the "ammo store" 1/2 the country away? Have they decided that guns are never the answer, swore they'd never kill again, but won't sell them due to sentimental value?

Or do they just not care?

Please read the thread. Your question has already been answered.

David E
May 17, 2012, 07:02 PM

Ok, I misread this the first time. He can be NEAR me, but I'm not going to share, much less stock, ammo for him when he hasn't "bothered" to buy any of his own. To me, that means he really doesn't care about such things.

As for what calibers you should have on hand for the wayward, ammoless people you encounter, get a box of those .256 Belchfire Magnums previously mentioned.

Best of luck to you.

readyeddy
May 17, 2012, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Warp;8169301]Okay. Good. Next step...the "more of the common calibers". Which ones would you get next?

Common calibers would probably include 38 Special, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 22 LR, 30 06, 308, 223 and 30-30.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 07:41 PM
I already have all of those.

I am pretty familiar with pistols and pistol calibers. I'm not much on rifles.

What are the most common hunting rifle calibers? Any I don't have listed?

Current centerfire rifle

7.62x39
7.62x54R
30-06 Springfield
7mm Remington Mag
.243 WIN
.270 WIN
30-30 WIN
.308 WIN

Ian
May 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
I would start by finding out what specific guns my friends and family have, and use that to make my ammo list rather than guessing.

In general, you could probably cover 90% of everything with .22, 9mm, .38 Special, .40, .45, .223, and 7.62x39. The vast majority of people who own any guns own at least one of those.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
Thought this might be interesting. Here is the list from the original post. I will highlight in green all of the calibers that match guns I own or have owned (in which case I bought the ammo to go with the gun that I had at the time).

I will then highlight in blue calibers which I fully intend to own guns for in the future.

Not a whole lot left in black...

Pistol
.25 auto
.32 auto
.380 auto
9mm Makarov
9mm Luger
.40 S&W
.45 ACP
10mm
.38spl
.44spl

Rifle
7.62x39
7.62x54R
30-06 Springfield
7mm Remington Mag
.243 WIN
.270 WIN
30-30 WIN
.308 WIN

Shotgun
.410 gauge
20 gauge
12 gauge

Rimfire
.22lr
.17 HMR

Warp
May 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
I would start by finding out what specific guns my friends and family have, and use that to make my ammo list rather than guessing.

In general, you could probably cover 90% of everything with .22, 9mm, .38 Special, .40, .45, .223, and 7.62x39. The vast majority of people who own any guns own at least one of those.

Very good point.

The calibers you listed + 12 gauge would cover every gun that a family member owns, that I know about, where there is any chance they won't have adequate ammunition of their own. (A couple family members are gun guys and I don't know what all they have, surely a bunch of different calibers, but they'll have ammo)

472x1A/B
May 17, 2012, 08:21 PM
What is your 'common'? Maybe your friend/friends might have a .218Bee or a 7x30Waters or maybe even a 32/40Win. and a .43 mauser, these could be their favorite/common calibers which they have and shoot all the time.

I think you could best find the answers to your thread by going out and talking to/at your friends/neighbors and ask what guage's or caliber's they all have then go out and buy ammo till your hearts content.

danez71
May 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
A lot of posts have this type of sentiment:

I really don't understand how you will be better off in an emergency by supplying a magazine worth of ammo to somebody who was unable to take care of themselves.

To which I would like to suggest to move on to another thread.

Seriously, if youdont have an understanding by now as to the potential advantage of what Warp is doing then you probably never will.

Take the low road mob mentality and move on and let this thread be.

Then there are these types of posts:
Yes, I've read it. You asked for opinions then bristle when people give them

He asked about which calibers to get. He didnt ask for your opinions of the people that might not have ammo.

Why is it so hard to stick to the questions and not veer off into a tangent filled with derogatory off topic opinions?

Personally I would stick with:
22lr
380 (although I dont like the round so it would be toward the bottom)
9mm
38/357 (Id buy the 38s 1st as they are usuable in more guns)
44/44mag (same theory as 38/357)

30-30
30-06

20 ga
12 ga

Id leave it that and maybe even getting rid of a couple.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
danez71: Of the ones you listed, what would you get rid of first?

I'm thinking .44 is what I would cross off first, of those.

The next step of this...what type of round would be best? I have avoided anything +P in case the gun is old, etc, and not rated for +P. I have also tried to stick to round nose FMJ for all of the semi autos, especially the pistols, for the most reliable feeding possible.

David E
May 17, 2012, 10:39 PM
Why is it so hard to stick to the questions and not veer off into a tangent

Simply because the premise is egregiously flawed.

If someone posted: "I want a .22 Short for defense, because my neighbor, a former Marine, said they're great for defense. But what loads are best?" folks would bring up the painfully obvious (to all but the poster) fact that the .22 Short isn't a very good choice for defense, regardless of the load chosen.

They, too, would be accused of "veering off on a tangent and not answering the question."

Enjoy the rest of your thread.

wow6599
May 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
9mm, 45 ACP, .357 Mag, .30-'06, .223/5.56, 7.62x39, .22lr, .308, 12 ga, .410, .30-30.

BTW, is the world going to end? I feel like I missed something.......

danez71
May 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
308, 380, & 44.

I think the 30-06 and 30-30 are alot more common than 308 nation wide..... I could be wrong.... but thats what I think from my travels.

380 just because I dont like it much and its a poor SD round and poor hunting round. Its mainly become popular more recently.

44 because I think the 357/38 is way more common nationwide.

Id axe them in that order.

The next step of this...what type of round would be best?

If you mean what flavor of each caliber..... plain ol' FMJ or lead round nose.

For the shot guns #6-ish or maybe #4-ish. I'm not very shot gun savvy though so something good enough for SD and still have edible small game if used for that. I think that would be around #6. If you think #8... go with that. #8 used for SD @ indoors range is still nasty. Maybe a small box of slugs too just in case.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 10:53 PM
David E: Your analogy is not apt.

Thought you should know that.

daneZ71: That's about what I was thinking.

danez71
May 17, 2012, 10:56 PM
Simply because the premise is egregiously flawed.

Enjoy the rest of your thread.

As I said, if you dont see the potential benefit after 4 pages you never will. Dont waste your breath arguing something you dont understand.

Thanks... let THR return.

bluetopper
May 17, 2012, 10:57 PM
I'd much rather have a stash of food items.

Warp
May 17, 2012, 10:58 PM
I'd much rather have a stash of food items.

Since when it is one or the other?

What food items do you have stashed?

David E
May 17, 2012, 11:39 PM
Oh, the analogy is apt and I certainly understand the alleged concept.....:rolleyes:

But have fun!

shiftyer1
May 18, 2012, 01:03 AM
Sometimes when I buy a gun it comes with ammo, when I sell the gun I keep the ammo. I've also ended up with some extra calibers i've never owned....not sure how. I don't stock up ammo I can't shoot or food I won't eat. If I end up with it somehow, i'll save it, mostly cuz I forget about it.

GLOOB
May 18, 2012, 01:40 AM
So you have 3600+ rounds of 9mm. And you wanna stock up on "at least a magful" of oddball pistol calibers just in case a neighbor needs it in an emergency? Why not buy an SV-9, a P-95, and a Hi Point. Then you don't have to guess what the "neighbor in distress" might need. Hand him one of your truck guns and a bucket o bullets.

Now rifle ammo, I guess I can see the point of carrying a few common hunting calibers.

Warp
May 18, 2012, 02:32 AM
Gloob: Read the thread, your question has already been answered, I think more than once. ;)

readyeddy
May 18, 2012, 03:32 AM
What I meant was to stock more rounds of the common calibers. So for example maybe 50 rounds of 25 ACP and 200 rounds of 9mm.

Warp
May 18, 2012, 03:35 AM
Ah, I see. Reasonable strategy to be sure.

Most of the handgun calibers are 50 round boxes. Exceptions include 10mm and .44spl. Rifle calibers are all 20 round boxes, I think. Shotgun is only 5-10 shells.

FROGO207
May 18, 2012, 06:22 AM
As I see how it will play out, your heirs will have an excellent ammo collection to sell after you no longer have a need for it.:D That is the most probable outcome IMHO. +1 for wanting to cover all bases when the unthinkable does happen however.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 18, 2012, 06:46 AM
There could be a time when so many bullets may be swapped for a loaf of bread and maybe a fish or two.:uhoh:

Sgt_R
May 18, 2012, 07:39 AM
Wow, this thread has gotten interesting. I had no idea this would be such a hot topic.

You didn't buy ammo before leaving the area that you knew where the "ammo stores" were, then traveled 1/2 way across the country and didn't see a single Wal-Mart??

I had everything I owned (literally) loaded into my car; I wasn't about to let it out of my sight for more than 5 minutes, especially not in a Wal-Mart parking lot. ;)

Besides which, having ammo wouldn't have done me any good on that drive. There are only so many ways to fit a Pelican case into a mid-90's compact sedan, and none of them are easily accessible in an emergency.

The next step of this...what type of round would be best? I have avoided anything +P in case the gun is old, etc, and not rated for +P. I have also tried to stick to round nose FMJ for all of the semi autos, especially the pistols, for the most reliable feeding possible.

That sounds like good thinking to me.

R

David E
May 18, 2012, 07:47 AM
I had everything I owned (literally) loaded into my car; I wasn't about to let it out of my sight for more than 5 minutes, especially not in a Wal-Mart parking lot. ;)

A little forethought would've bought that ammo before packing the car. But at least you realized that Wal-Mart sells ammunition. ;)

danez71
May 18, 2012, 08:30 AM
Cant stop critcising. Must get last word in.

Excercise self control. Let THR return.

David E
May 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
Interestingly, I've recently been going thru my stuff, rechecking/confirming how much ammo I have on hand for each of the various guns. Got more 30-30 than I thought, but not enough 30-06.

I've previously made a couple "kits" that may come in handy.

Buying ammo for calibers I don't have doesn't make as much sense to me as buying more 30-06 or .35 Remington, etc, as I have a current, actual need for it.

If I were to buy calibers I don't have, it would not be in case I inexplicably find someone at my door with a gun, but has no ammo for it. No, it would be for MY use, in case I came across a gun that took it.

There's an argument to be made for standardizing on a few popular calibers, but there's also one to be made for having a wide variety of calibers: you can use almost any ammo you find.

Giving ammo to someone else can open you up for legal problems. Their gun jams on your ammo, they die, family sues. Or their defective gun blows up shooting your "alleged" factory ammo, they sue.

IF I felt compelled to help someone in this way, it would be a trusted friend or family member using a gun I'm familiar with. But I'd rather they use the ammo that's been proven in the gun I also lend them.

HoosierQ
May 18, 2012, 12:19 PM
You need some commie ammo calibers in there. Especially 9x18 for all those Makarovs out there.

This is a little quirky but I see some sense in it. I am not one for SHTF scenarios but in same barter is a good strategy...ammo would presumably be as good as money.

Watched exactly one episode of that Doomsday Preppers thing and there was a bone dry, teetotalling Baptist couple preparing for some sort of apocalypse and they had stockpiled a serious boatload of both cheap and expensive booze expecting the value of that to be worth A LOT in barter after...whatever.

Warp
May 18, 2012, 02:13 PM
There is a box of 9x18 Makarov. ;)

RE: Doomsday prepper episode...People who think like that generally put items like ammunition (especially .22lr and 12 gauge), toilet paper, bar soap, liquor, condoms, feminine hygiene products, and bleach/pool shok at the top of the list.

Ramone
May 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
I've bought some ammo for weapons I didn't own when I came across some at yard sale prices ($5.00 for 50 rounds of 30-06!) (I think I gave it to my Uncle for his '03), and I have accidentally kept some when I sold a weapon ( I still have about 100 rounds of 12 gauge, but no shotgun currently).

I once bought a box of ammo (.32 short rimfire) just because I'd never seen it before. and it was cheap. Not sure what happened to it.

And I often go to the range with some ammo that doesn't fit anything I am firing that day, as sometimes someone offers to let me shoot a mag and it's nice to share, or someone might be having some function issues that might be attributed to bad ammo, and it's nice to help a fellow out when you can.

I've got a box of .22WMR that I bought when I wanted .22LR.

I have a couple of cans of M855 that I don't use, for deep storage/possible barter.

I don't think it's all that strange. I mean, I've been to a planet where they juggle geese.

Buck Kramer
May 18, 2012, 05:58 PM
Well this thread went to SHTF/TEOTWAWKI in a hurry...

writerinmo
May 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
Anytime you start talking about stockpiling ammo, it's going to head there.

Warp
May 18, 2012, 09:52 PM
Or it will head to a political debate if taxes/restrictions/etc are given as the reason for the stock. But THR doesn't do those, so SHTF it is I suppose.

Walkalong
May 18, 2012, 10:00 PM
so SHTF it is I supposeWe don't do that either. I think this one has run its course.

If you enjoyed reading about "Creating a stash of ammunition in common calibers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!