Deadly on wood boring bees

PDA

Saddlebag Preacher
May 18, 2012, 03:05 AM
I posted this on the CAS site before, but it's that time of year again.

If you live out in the country like I do and can get away with it, load you Cap and ball revolver with the normal charge of BP, fill the cylinder the rest of the way with cream of wheat. Compress with the rammer and drop a drop of oil on the cream of wheat to swell it and it won't fall out.

Then, when Mr. Wood Borer comes around the porch or the barn, try some wing shooting! It works up to about 15 feet with a .44. I dunno about a .36.

Don't let the game wardens know, they may want to make a season out of the. They did for crows in Kentucky here.:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Deadly on wood boring bees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
unknwn
May 18, 2012, 12:12 PM
.22 shot shells are cheap & effective.
May not be black powder, but it is a lot less wear & tear on my BP revolvers for quarry as insignificant as insects.
Although, the cream of wheat sounds as if it might be less intrusive of woodwork and painted surfaces?

I guess I'll add it to my list of black powder loads to refer to.

robhof
May 18, 2012, 01:07 PM
I'll have to give that a try, my wife thinks I look silly going to the mail box with a tennis raquet, but I love to hear the ping when I make contact with one.:evil::evil::evil:

crazyjennyblack
May 18, 2012, 04:22 PM
Where I live, we don't have wood boring bees, but I have used this successfully on those mud-wasps everyone gets. Unfortunately for my roommate, I did this in the kitchen....

Remember boys and girls, if you leave black powder smoke smudges on white kitchen walls, it's YOU that gets to clean it! LOL

Mr. D
May 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Sounds good, but then I have to clean it every time after I go bee hunting! I wonder if I could load up some .38 spl blanks of some sort without the blank-crimp. Maybe if I loaded powder, then cream of wheat, then topped it off with a floral foam plug and a bit of a crimp to keep the foam in. I might just try that.

By the way, cream of wheat packs really well. I do Civil War reenacting and I use cream of wheat in my Remington 1858s. 35gr BP, top off with cream of wheat, pack it down, top off with cream of wheat again, pack it down for all I'm worth, and that's it. Stays put all day long no matter what.

jogar80
May 18, 2012, 05:00 PM
I wonder if I could load up some .38 spl blanks of some sort without the blank-crimp.

Just use tape. It works, I've done it.

elrowe
May 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
Funny, I just yesterday suggested getting a .410 to my sister in law to get rid of hers. Like the cost savings of cream of wheat vs. lead shot though!

Busyhands94
May 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
The second I saw the title of this thread I knew exactly what you were talking about!

Over here we don't have wood boring bees, but we have craneflies. They look sorta like a daddy long legs spider with wings and a cigar shaped body. Like a giant mosquito that doesn't bite.They are harmless to humans but they are very, very annoying. When you are taking a shower they know to wait right up on the ceiling in a place where you wouldn't notice them, then they jump down like a kamikaze and attack you when you are trying to take a shower. They are evil little bugs, almost as bad as mosquitoes IMHO.

My load recipe for these little pests is I load my NAA companion with percussion caps, a little paper as a wad, and a pinch of grits or grape nuts cereal. It works sort of like a little shotgun!

Levi

dogrunner
May 18, 2012, 05:42 PM
I did a post on the very same subject a year or so back........got told by the "utterly less any sense of humor Mod's hereon" that I had too much time on my hands.

I used cow/rice in my 629 on the things. That was sport, but frankly, as destructive as the things are I'd really like to know what WOULD effectively kill 'em. One's we have are black and yellow, about the size of a nickle and bore right thru pine and cedar trim like a new drill. Shootin' 'em is OK, but I need something more on the order of a claymore!!!!

Mr. D
May 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
I need something more on the order of a claymore!!!!

Yeah, but shooting them has GOT to be more fun!

Jaymo
May 19, 2012, 01:40 AM
Brake cleaner. It works better than ANY wasp/hornet killer. I've used wasp/hornet killer on yellowjackets and all it did was make them madder.
Shot some brake cleaner down into their hole and it killed them post haste.
It knocks hornets out of the air immediately.
Drops spiders from their webs like a lightning bolt of death.
Just as effective on carpenter bees. I've sprayed it into their holes and it ended their reproductive cycle immediately.
We had some hornets building a nest in the eaves above our front porch steps. My wife wanted to know what to do.
I grabbed a can of brake cleaner, climbed up the stepladder, and shot a blast of BC into the "construction site".
The hornet that was home at the time dropped stone dead, immediately, landing across the entrance(blocking it).

I may have to try playing racquetball with some carpenter bees this year. It sounds like fun.

Shultzhaus
May 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
I found brake cleaner to be very effective on "stink bugs". Keeps you from smashing them and releasing their stink. I don't think shooting them in the house is a good idea.

brushhippie
May 19, 2012, 10:28 AM
brake cleaner is a bit caustic... the majority of bug killers on the market nowadays use a natural insecticide called pyrethrum, it is the extract from crysanthemum flowers and is very safe and effective.....but dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with blasting away at them with a pistol or petroleum product.......ok yea there is.

YumaKid
May 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
Brake cleaner. It works better than ANY wasp/hornet killer. I've used wasp/hornet killer on yellowjackets and all it did was make them madder.

Oh no, here we go again.... I read something on THR that get's me in more trouble with the Li'l Missus. Already buy a couple cans a month, good for blowing the "12th cylinder crud" off the cylinder pin on a Remington NMA (follow it with a little dab of Moose Milk). Also for blasting out the last of the Dawn dish soap-y water when cleaning.
The guys at O'Reilly Auto already think I'm doing something nefarious because I keep buying cases when they're on sale, too. I tell 'em what it's for, and they get that worried look in their eyes...

My favorite wasp medicine is still the foaming oven cleaner. Don't buy the expensive "Easy-xxx" brand, the store brand works fine. The foam gums up their wings, and they go to ground like a Harrier with both engines out. THUD.
Found this out by accident years ago when scrubbing my BBQ grille bars with the foam and a cup-brush chucked into my Makita drill.

Busyhands94
May 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
When you load one of these with cornmeal or grape nuts it's good for indoors! Just make sure the woman of the house isn't around! She'll tan your hide!
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/riderderringer.jpg

I like to take mine into the shower with me, and use the load for craneflies. Of course I use plastic toy caps, they are cheaper than regular percussion caps and launch the load just as well!

I love derringers! :)

C0untZer0
May 19, 2012, 10:52 PM
The OP solution is way better than insecticide or volatlile petroleum sprays, and the time to kill them is when they are scouting in the spring for new nest sites.

They're easy enough to kill once you find their hole, but isn't it a little too late then? They've already drilled a " hole in your soffit or your deck by then.

jrdolall
May 19, 2012, 10:53 PM
They are great opponents for shadow boxing. Hard to hit with the fist but they will dance and weave better than Ali ever could. My french bulldog keeps them under control. She loves chasing them and eventually gets just about every one.

Jaymo
May 20, 2012, 01:50 AM
Brake cleaner evaporates completely and leaves NO residue. Oven cleaner contains lye.

redneck2
May 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
the majority of bug killers on the market nowadays use a natural insecticide called pyrethrum, it is the extract from crysanthemum flowers and is very safe and effective.....but dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with blasting away at them with a pistol or petroleum product.......ok yea there is.pyrethrum takes about two minutes to work. The petroleum products are immediate. I know. I sell both in my sales job.

Starting fluid works great and leaves no residue. Just watch the flames. I'd advise against smoking while you use it.

FWIW...many aerosols now use propane as the propellant.

oldcodger
May 21, 2012, 05:41 PM
starting fluid and a spark from a bic lighter took care of the major spider egg and nest in my mailbox.

a short spray, close the door, and hit the little quarter-sized hole in the rear floor of the box..

blew the door off, and virtually vaporized the little spideys..

Mr. D
May 21, 2012, 06:00 PM
oldcodger, Haha - that's great!

To all, this is all fascinating, but it would probably be a good idea to return to firearms-related ways for taking care of troublesome insects. In that vein, I loaded up some cream of wheat "blanks" and tried them on my little buzzy pests. Worked like a charm! I used tape to keep it all in. I was pretty surprised at how loud it was. Nothing was packed in, so there couldn't have been much resistance. I'll have to test it by firing at a blank sheet of paper from 15 ft to see if it is safe and if it is, it could make nice homemade blanks if I should ever have need of such a thing. It was actually louder than necessary - I think I'll back off the powder charge a grain or two. That'll let more room for a larger payload, too.

Jaymo
May 21, 2012, 09:33 PM
I used to catch and play with the male bumblebees when I was a kid.
They don't have stingers, and are easily identified by the yellow dot on their foreheads

I guess the howdah loaded with cornmeal would be overkill??

40 grains of 777 under a .457 ball in the ROA would do the job, if I could actually hit them.
But, that reeks of "bad idea".

osprey176
May 21, 2012, 11:36 PM
They even sell non-toxic cream of wheat for those who live in the condor protection areas.

Jaymo
May 22, 2012, 12:08 AM
:)

That's funny, I don't care who you are.

ljnowell
May 22, 2012, 01:47 AM
I load 357 mag loads with 5gr of AA#2, a card disc, then fill with rice, then a card disc on top and roll crimp over it. deadly.

Busyhands94
May 22, 2012, 02:30 AM
Don't forget, these are great for killing large bugs!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Airguns-Airsoft/Blowguns|/pc/104792580/c/104690880/sc/104223780/Terminator-3634-40-Cal-Black-Blowgun/734658.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-airguns-airsoft-blowguns%2F_%2FN-1102573%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat104690880%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104690880%3Bcat104223780
We do have these large black bees but they aren't too much a problem so I usually don't shoot them. But sometimes I'll get some pork rib bones with a little meat on them and stick them out in the yard, it gets the yellow jacket's attention. Then comes the fun part, pick them off with an airgun or blowgun. My Crossman Quest sure works well! It also hones your accuracy, even at 20 feet.

Another fun option for killing bugs is Aguila Super Colibri powderless .22s, They sound like a BB gun and are loaded with a 20 grain bullet at around 500 FPS for the Super Colibri rounds and 350 FPS with the regular Colibri rounds.

Of course that's probably going to be seen as silly of me by other members, but whatever. I like to practice my marksmanship and eliminate small pests!

Deltaboy
May 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
I done all of the above on the farm growing up Plus we use boat paddles to slap the wood borers and bubblebees.

Shooting them makes it more fun.

zimmerstutzen
May 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
DArn carpenter bees are eating holes through my new pole barn. In an average weekend I kill 5 or 6, but them wary creatures must talk and warn each other because once you nail one or two they scatter for a good half hour. But this idea sounds like fun. I'm thinking maybe Quaker instant grits instead of COW. Not as big as rice. I tried 22 dust shot in a rifle and the little buggers just dodged it. But maybe my ruger OA with a felt wad on top to hold the grits in place until firing.

jrdolall
May 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'm thinking maybe Quaker instant grits instead of COW

Be careful using grits. I am certain there is a law somewhere about wasting one of God's finest creations.

Jim, West PA
May 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
This has got to the most entertaining thread i have ever read anywhere :D
I cain't wai to try the OP's idea.
FWIW, i have been killin stink bugs with the brake cleaner for 3 years now.
Kills INSTANTLY and no offensive stink from them,( which by the way attracts more stink bugs).
It does in deed evaporate and as Jaymo said, leaves no residue. I have found out the hard way tho....DO NOT TRY AND WIPE IT OFF OF A PAINTED SURFACE !!! It will take the paint off. Just let it evaporate and all is good.
I have also sprayed it ito the hole of the carpenter bee and that's the end of all activity in that hole.
But now..shootin 'em vs. sparyin 'em.
Now there's a no brainer ;)
Some one said here ( paraphrasin') don't let the little missus catch ya shootin 'em in the house( er somethin to that effect )
Heck, i had better not let my wife catch me doin this stuff WITHOUT Her.

zimmerstutzen
May 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
Instant grits are not one of God's Finest creations. No self respecting person of Southern Grace would dare soil their kitchen or poison their vitals with such blasphemy. Now regular slow cooking grits. There is the stuff of paradise. Especially on a frosty morning with ham,eggs and Red eye gravy.

Didn't you ever watch "My Cousin Vinnie"

Jim, West PA
May 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
AMEN to that zimmerstutzen !!!
That's akin to thinkin real buscuits come from cardboard tube.

jrdolall
May 23, 2012, 02:55 PM
Last night we had sausage gravy and biscuits for supper. As soon as the garden gets ready it will be tomato gravy but i don't care for the canned tomatoes.

"No self respecting southerner eats instant grits". One of my favorite movies of all time. Fred Gwynn was outstanding as the judge and the entire cast was about perfect. I always ask my wife why she can't rebuild trannies?

If nobody eats instant grits then why does Wallyworld sell so many? I gave up on making fresh biscuit a few years back when the frozen ones got so good and I got tired of explaining to my wife that I don't know how much buttermilk is "enough". i just mix it till it feels right and Martha White does the rest.

zimmerstutzen
May 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
Them frozen biscuits are sure a big improvement over the cardboard tube. Here north of the Mason Dixon Line, the only passable biscuits come from Popeye's chicken outlets. Those cardboard jobs and chocolate box cake mixes are a doubly poor excuse for food.

But thank heavens, we have factory outlets for everything in Central PA. even food. A bag of 33 frozen pillsbury biscuits is only $1.50. They get instant grits at the outlets (Pennsylvania Dutch folk don't eat Grits, rice or beans, so the stuff goes cheap.) For a while the one outlet had 2 liter bottles of seltzer water for 25 cents a bottle. That stuff is actually pretty good for cleaning muzzleloaders.

But as long as I can get the cheap instant grits as "bee dust", so "bee" it.

Hmmm, guess I'll have to "buzz" over there after work.

Jim, West PA
May 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
Hahahahahahahaha !!! I like the way you went from BP post to food and turnt it right back into BP . Good job there !!:D
Now i can make a mean batch o' maple smoked sausage gravey and buscuits i tell ya what. Top that with a couple o' right out from under the chicken fried eggs and chase it down with a cold glass o' homegrown mater juice.
Saaaaaaaalute !!!!
Oh yeah, then i spose after breakfast i'll go out back and shoot me some carpenter bees with my ROA :D

Jaymo
May 23, 2012, 09:15 PM
"What is a yute?"
Great movie, and I'm not just saying that because I lust after Marissa Tomei.

Instant Grits are great for feeding hungry toddlers, because they don't know any better.

I have a grain mill, so I can make some coarse corn meal for shooting bugs.

I think we can all agree that we have discussed some fun ways to dispatch pesky bugs.

Shultzhaus
May 24, 2012, 07:12 AM
You guys are making me hungery. I am just across the river from Zimmerstutzen - amen on the menu. Just remember Quaker puffed rice was "shot from guns".

zimmerstutzen
May 24, 2012, 08:12 AM
I think that Puffed Rice thing is a myth. I tried it and it didn't work. I just got black rice. Even played the 1812 overture while i shot the rice. When I loaded up my muzzle loader cannon with a few oz of rice, it defoliated the Mrs. Rose bush. When she got home, She was po'd. But i told her it was japanese Beetles and the black rice was beetle dung. She ordered me to the hardware store for bug spray. That's like forcing a kid to go to the amusement park. Yeehaw.

But you can only get away with that once or twice.

The clerk at the Hardware store always asks "What did you do this time!"

But he understands muzzle loaders and we are always comparing notes on how to make buckskinner gear with the stuff at the hardware store. Can't wait to see his face when I tell him I need a hole punch to make wads so I can shoot grits at carpenter bees.

Shultzhaus
May 24, 2012, 09:18 AM
Yep - it was a tall tale. I'd like to research that to see how it was actually done, and why they would use such an ad. Just a tongue in cheek on this thread on "shooting" different cereals from BPs. Now hungery for those bisquits.

robhof
May 24, 2012, 04:18 PM
There used to be a show called Industry on Parade B&W tv days; one episode featured puffed rice and the rice was soaked and fired under high pressure through a furnace type oven, that quick cooked and puffed the rice, the nozzles that the rice came out of were called guns and vaguely resembled cannon barrels. And Now You Know the rest of the Story...:neener::neener:

Black Duck Charlie
May 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
I understand wanting to keep wasps and hornets under control, but can't understand why anyone would ever want to kill bees and other truly beneficial insects.
I once had a bee hive in my garage wall. I left them alone -- the bees were helping my get good vegetables and fruit to eat by fertilizing the flowers.

Marlin 45 carbine
May 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
zimmer right much nails it. grits w/fried beef bologna the good quality thick slice is good. bologna makes a fairly decent gravy too. sort of reminds me of chipped beef gravy.
real whole hog sausage a bit hot w/sage edges it out though it's a close call IMO.
cheesey grits are good with fryed fish for breakfast, large serving spoon of hot salsa atop.
the yellow grits are a bit more coarsely ground - likely better for the shot loads. never thought of loading rice it would really have some punch

Jaymo
May 29, 2012, 10:13 PM
We're not talking about honeybees. I never kill honeybees. They make 2 of my favorite things, honey, and beeswax. Not to mention they pollinate plants.

We're talking about carpenter bees, which are destructive to anything made of wood.

robhof
May 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
And they can be downright get in your face territorial, and I just love the ping when the tennis racket makes contact.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Jaymo
May 29, 2012, 11:15 PM
Imagine hitting one with a golf club.
My wife got stung by a red wasp this weekend. I found 3 nests were being built on my front porch and introduced them to brake cleaner.

If you enjoyed reading about "Deadly on wood boring bees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!