Targets that make sound

PDA

TexasShooter59
May 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
Outside of the usual steel plates, what other materials can be used for targets from 50 to 100 yards that make a sound that you can hear reliably? Reusable does not matter.

Thanks in advance!

Thought I should add that this would be for multiple shots, as in testing ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Targets that make sound" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HGUNHNTR
May 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
The self healing plastic targets make a bit of a slap when hit. Bowling pins, empty propane tanks, and hot water heaters are quite vocal as well.

Magoo
May 18, 2012, 03:57 PM
tannerite or similar certainly make reliable sounds.

9mmepiphany
May 18, 2012, 04:40 PM
Visual feedback is also good (please bear in mind that bio-degradable is best).

I've had good results with cabbage heads (the vegetable, not the doll) and small melons for handguns. Apples and oranges for rifles

bigfatdave
May 18, 2012, 05:03 PM
go to Goodwill and snag some unserviceable pots/pans

bluethunder1962
May 18, 2012, 05:11 PM
HGUNHNTR
Full propane tanks make more noise. hehe

Robbins290
May 18, 2012, 05:13 PM
HGUNHNTR
Full propane tanks make more noise. hehe
Propane tanks with a marine flare duct taped to them makes a very, very loud report

theautobahn
May 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
no noise, but clay pigeons give pretty obvious feedback (lay them on the berm).

armoredman
May 18, 2012, 06:04 PM
The pots and pans idea is pretty good, hung by the handles. Just clean up the mess when done. Too many people leave messes behind, like exploded spray paint cans, (great visual, but leaves paint all over the place), blown up propane tanks, etc. Also look at your area before using some "reactive" targets - the flare taped to a propane tank might make a great visual on a beach next to sea water, or in the rain in Washington State, but down here in the desert southwest we'd have yet another brush fire. I don't know about your state, but down here anyone starting a major fire can be personally billed for every expense involved in putting it out and clean up.
The cabbage and other vegetables are good ideas, biodegradable, visual only, though, and if you leave them to rot on a public range, you might be "disinvited". :)
Perhaps you could get http://www.targetsfromus.com/ to make a series of gongs that ring in different tones - compete on who can play jingle bells faster without missing a "note".

bluethunder1962
May 18, 2012, 08:04 PM
Robbins290
I might be wrong but sounds like there is a chance you might have tried that?

R.W.Dale
May 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
Metal 5gal paint can lids.

They make noise and the paint comes off around the bullet strike

I get these free from my work by the dozen and use em for point shooting practice up close due to the tactile feedback

fluffi
May 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Visual feedback and biodegradeable are a few of the reasons i invented the ecotarget mold. Running a special for members now.$2.00 off, just put thehighroadmember in the cupon area of your cart.:):) (http://www.ecotargetmold.com)

gunnysmith
May 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
---deleted---

rcmodel
May 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
This old Piano made some interesting sounds when the Gatling Gun cut loose the first time.

Not very long though.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/Gattling4.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/Gattling7.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/Gattling8.jpg

rc

Walkalong
May 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
clay pigeons give pretty obvious feedback (lay them on the berm)I do that one. Shoot the clay pigeon, and then shoot the pieces.

Steel (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=142231&stc=1&d=1305496591) is always good too.

TexasShooter59
May 18, 2012, 11:18 PM
A lot of great ideas! Thanks for all the replies!

rcmodel - That's one way to find out what's inside a piano!

Walkalong - I like that steel target. Looks nice and portable.

The clay pigeons is a great idea as it is a nice, small target to make you work for your hits.

Robbins290
May 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
Bluethunder-yes, i have tried it a few times. I have a huge sand pit by my house. Thas where i mostly shot. Its about 100 yards for rifles. And the back is up a 60 feet or soo. So no fires or such. Very very fun. And i always clean up my mess

CountryUgly
May 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
This old Piano made some interesting sounds when the Gatling Gun cut loose the first time.

Not very long though.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/Gattling4.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/Gattling7.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/Gattling8.jpg

rc
RC, In the past several months I've been on THR I've noticed one big thing about you... You have way too much fun ! A gatlin gun on a piano who would of "thunk it". Did it sound like one of those old player pianos from the saloon days before it went out of tune permanently?

jeepnik
May 19, 2012, 11:50 AM
Dad started me out shooting balloons. Not real loud, but at the short range he started having me shoot my first .22 rifle, I got both visual and audible feed back.

Heck, I still shoot at balloons. I didn't for years, but it's funny how things that were fun as a kid suddenly become fun again when we get toward the other end of things.

loose noose
May 19, 2012, 12:05 PM
Like Armoredman stated please clean up after yourselves after shooting those fun targets. I know way too often I find shot up TVs, computers etc. on our BLM land range. Also a mixture of aluminum and magnesium nitrate which can only be mixed together at the shooting place is a great blast and smoke. I believe that's what "Sons of Guns" uses in their demonstrations. Any one can get the material sent to them thru the internet. Just put the mixture in a milk carton and stand back 50 yards and let rip.

tubeshooter
May 19, 2012, 12:15 PM
I keep a couple of old brake rotors for this purpose.

They will hold up to all the .22lr and .38/9mm/.40-class handgun fire you can throw at it.

The audible sound is helpful at distance, of course. I paint mine orange, and if you just painted it a small cloud puff of paint will be visible as well.

.357 from a rifle will crack it. 7.62x39 will saw through it like butter. Never seen how it did with .44 mag from a handgun, so I don't know about that.

BIGGBAY90
May 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
Baloons :)

Vonderek
May 19, 2012, 01:40 PM
water filled jugs make some noise and provide visual feedback

pat701
May 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
How about bells.

armoredman
May 30, 2012, 08:13 PM
Ya know, those big name target companies are missing a bet here, need falling zombie targets that scream when hit...:)

Old judge creek
May 30, 2012, 11:27 PM
How about bells.
If you take a non-refillable fire extinguisher or scuba tank, cut the bottom off with a torch and hang the results with a chain, it rings just like a bell? But give LOTS of space for wicked ricochets.

These make for great long range targets.

surveyor
May 30, 2012, 11:45 PM
charcoal is a good cheap reactive target on a backstop..
it can be painted to increase visibility..

Ala Dan
May 31, 2012, 06:18 AM
Shockwave Plastic Jars

*Must be shot with at least a 5.56 or .223 caliber rifle from a distance of 100 yards~! What a sight----

clamman
June 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
I have a few unservicable welding tanks hanging from trees out back. Very loud ding when hit.

jmorris
June 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
A long time ago we decided to shoot some old spray paint cans that were clogged up.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/paint/aaImage11.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/paint/aaImage9.jpg

CrackerJim
June 20, 2012, 09:36 AM
We were using balloons at the range for off hand cap and ball rifle shooting but the range officers shut that down. When asked why, the response was that the birds think the little bits that got missed in clean up were bugs, would be eaten by birds and hurt them.

Jim

Ps also asked about hanging steel - no, not allowed, they said the 100 yard range was too short. :banghead:

CrackerJim
June 21, 2012, 08:38 AM
TM,

Was in a CEU seminar the last couple of days and they had a couple of clips of you in action! :D

Brink
June 22, 2012, 06:32 AM
Snag a cowbell from Harbor Freight, and hang it at 100 yards. I ring one with a 22 all the time, and it doesn't have any holes in it.

Ky Larry
June 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
I started to post something about my bro-in-law and rock salt but it wasn't very High Road. Sorry. Disregard.:rolleyes:

smallbore
June 23, 2012, 08:59 PM
Necco Wafers. I get 'em at the local Dollar Store.

Jorg Nysgerrig
June 23, 2012, 09:48 PM
Gentlemen, I'm not sure what exactly makes people think that "cats" is an appropriate answer on this forum, but you should know better than that.

scott5
June 24, 2012, 12:42 AM
Hello all,
At the range I belong to they have a 300 to 600 yard BPCA (Black powder cartridge arms) shoot once a month.
They decided that to see the hit at long range they would put a strobe light with a microphone next to the target.
The strobe makes a good visual.

The-Reaver
June 24, 2012, 12:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HetBIzkMcHY

Trunk Monkey
June 24, 2012, 03:45 PM
Gentlemen, I'm not sure what exactly makes people think that "cats" is an appropriate answer on this forum, but you should know better than that.

I'm sorry, I thought it was funny at the time. I really wouldn't shoot a cat with out a legitimate reason to do so

tubeshooter
June 25, 2012, 07:06 PM
Snag a cowbell from Harbor Freight, and hang it at 100 yards. I ring one with a 22 all the time, and it doesn't have any holes in it.

Great idea - thanks!

The metal for the bell isn't nearly as thick as my spinner target, and that will start to bend if you shoot a bunch at one side (admittedly at a much closer distance, more like 25 yards). Therefore I plan to JB Weld some old brake pads on the bell for extra insurance.

Saakee
June 26, 2012, 10:39 AM
Would tracers detonate balloons filled with something flammable or would the round be going too fast to reliably ignite?

bigfatdave
June 26, 2012, 07:37 PM
Would tracers detonate balloons filled with something flammable or would the round be going too fast to reliably ignite?come to my range and we'll find out
I'll supply the balloons and figure out something for flammable gas, you bring tracers.

tubeshooter
July 1, 2012, 09:49 PM
I got to try out my brake pad reinforced cowbell today.

I used both JB Weld and Gorilla Glue on it - mostly Gorilla Glue. The end result is not a pretty sight. Besides that, it took a solid 36 hours for the brake pad residue plus glue/weld to wear off of my fingertips.

The brake pads kill the vibration of the bell itself, so the original clapper only provided a dull, short "clank". This would not be audible at long range, so I bought a big jingle bell from the craft store and replaced the clapper with that. That helped a little, but not really enough.

The pads themselves did pretty good. Direct hits will pockmark and blow off the remainder of the pad material, but not the core.

I had one hit on the cowbell itself, and that put a nice dent in it. Wasn't full penetration, but about 1/4" deep and very distinct. I think it would penetrate if I hit the same spot another time or two. Eventually would make the bell so ricochet-prone as to be unsafe in my view.

Sound was audible, but not very effective. Spectators will be able to hear it better than the shooter will.

The range was about 60 yards. The target was difficult to see at that range for me, even painted orange. I used open sights.

It was a cool experiment; not quite as successful as I had hoped. Just wanted to share all this with the group. The cowbell (unaltered) might actually be better suited for 150 yards with a scoped rifle, maybe it wouldn't dent as bad.

Kernel
July 2, 2012, 07:16 PM
^^ Could you make a simple mechanism, shoot the brake pad and a conected lever rings the bell? The brake pads would eventually wear out, but the bell would last forever, regardless of caliber.

bigfatdave
July 2, 2012, 08:22 PM
Why not just rig the brake pad to swing back end ring something externally?

Hang the bell, hang the pad or a few pads in front of it swinging freely. Shoot the pads, they swing back and bonk the bell or gong.

Kernel
July 2, 2012, 08:25 PM
Just tie the bell to the brake pad (piece of wood or whatever) with a short length of chain or rope. Susupend the brake pad with the bell hanging under it. When you hit the pad it would jerk the bell and ring it.

tubeshooter
July 2, 2012, 09:53 PM
All great ideas, and I appreciate them. Thanks!

I actually looked up some rifle gongs after posting my report, and some of them use some of the concepts you've mentioned.

One trouble is that brake pads are pretty small, so just hanging one or two by themselves would be really tough to see much over 40 yards or so. I'd also need to somehow make a hole in them if I wanted to hang them individually.

Another thing is that you can't guarantee you won't hit the bell (and chain, hook and stake to hang it on) instead of the target area. So any bell needs to be tough enough to take hits. On a side note: I got one of those steel hangers for bird feeders and plants that is shaped like a shepard's cane for the stake, and it has worked well so far. I also went ahead and got steel S-hooks; zinc is half the price, but again, this is something that's taking gunfire.

I was going for something that is light, portable and fairly tough for longish ranges (for a .22). Something you can keep in the trunk. I also want to keep the cost down. Right now I'm at $3 per bell, some free old brake pads and some glue/weld. For much more money, I'll go ahead and get a decent gong plate - which I may go ahead and do anyway eventually.

[EDIT: I have been thinking about how a small wind chime could help, that has crossed my mind.]

If you enjoyed reading about "Targets that make sound" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!