one hand or two hands? tips?

PDA

Sobel
May 18, 2012, 09:58 PM
When I went to the range today I found myself putting all 16 rounds into the head of the silhouette at 7 yards no grand feat, but when I tried to do the same with both hands I couldn't do it it was like my hands were shaking I could barely aim. Any tips to stop the shaking?

If you enjoyed reading about "one hand or two hands? tips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KTXdm9
May 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
I say go with what works for you. Are you breathing are doing anything else different when using two hands?

56hawk
May 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
What stance were you using? I have a hard time shooting accurately with the Weaver stance, but am very accurate with the Isosceles stance.

Sobel
May 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
I say go with what works for you. Are you breathing are doing anything else different when using two hands?
Well I shot one handed then I switched to both and I couldn't get comfortable almost like the way i placed my left hand just didn't feel right I think its the trigger guard. On top of that I was shaking, I literally unloaded the gun and just tried to calm myself but I couldn't. Then I went to just left handed shooting and it worked for 4 shots then no matter what I did I just couldn't steady my aim at all.

Sobel
May 18, 2012, 10:17 PM
What stance were you using? I have a hard time shooting accurately with the Weaver stance, but am very accurate with the Isosceles stance.
I suppose I was using a weaver stance , its fine for when I try and shoot rapidly but aimed shots just elude me. When I shoot one hand its better for accurate fire but less effective at controlling the rapid fire.

Hk Dan
May 18, 2012, 10:18 PM
Very common. Rotate your shoulder from inside to outside and you will find a point at which the shaking abates. Work from that position until you get stronger--it will work.
Part two--make sure you grip the gun as you would with a two handed grip, just without the left hand. Then tip it 30 degrees or so toward the center of your body. This will eliminate the torque of the recoil--the gun's tendency to go up and to the right will go away when it is tipped and it will just go up. The up/right thing is disconcerting to some folks; if its not to you then don't worry about tipping the gun!

Dan

SleazyRider
May 18, 2012, 10:31 PM
All good suggestions. For me and me alone, stretching prior to shooting helps quite a bit.

Sobel
May 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
Very common. Rotate your shoulder from inside to outside and you will find a point at which the shaking abates. Work from that position until you get stronger--it will work.
Part two--make sure you grip the gun as you would with a two handed grip, just without the left hand. Then tip it 30 degrees or so toward the center of your body. This will eliminate the torque of the recoil--the gun's tendency to go up and to the right will go away when it is tipped and it will just go up. The up/right thing is disconcerting to some folks; if its not to you then don't worry about tipping the gun!

Dan
That sounds like really good advice I will try it next time. Apparently I was shaking bad enough for both my Ma and the staff were talking about it. One positive thing I notice is that I never blink or close my eyes when I shoot. No anticipation of the shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "one hand or two hands? tips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!