.40 S&W w/Titegroup, the journey continues

PDA

Neutered10mm
May 19, 2012, 10:27 AM
In this video, I attempt to use a newly acquired chronograph to test the 4.0 grain load and then further test the 3.7 grain load with 45 rounds slung down range. Finally, I test 5 rounds of 3.6 grain and 5 rounds of 3.5 grain. Slide is cycling beautiful with no FTF or FTE. Enjoy watching my horrible shooting ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YitlvP3nB0E

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 S&W w/Titegroup, the journey continues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sport45
May 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
Good report.

When I opened this I was expecting to read about a kaboom. :)

It seems there are two common themes in reloading forums. 40S&W kb's with Titegroup and Hornady One Shot lube leaving cases stuck in sizing dies...

steve4102
May 20, 2012, 12:31 AM
Me Too. It seems like TG is responsible for more KB in the 40 than all other powders combined.

Neutered10mm
May 20, 2012, 01:46 AM
LOL, look at my channel ... I have a KaBoom! on video using 4.9 grains in a Glock G27 ;)

noylj
May 20, 2012, 03:42 AM
I will try a short walk with TiteGroup, but I would never go on a trip with it. Burns very hot and is almost as pressure sensitive as Clays. When I evaluate fast powders for a given cartridge and bullet, it is one I test, but, so far, I have been universally disappointed in it. At least Clays does moderately well in .45 ACP with 200gn L-SWC at 700-775fps.
MUCH prefer AA2 and Solo 1000 for fast powders, and 231/HP38 has been and remains my initial go-to powder for all my non-magnums. For .40, AA5 is about the fastest powder I use, though AA2 and 231/HP38 were excellent at very light loadings.
Respect the .40. It is very temperamental with bullets over 180gn and powders faster than 231/HP38. Don't cut your life journey short trying to get a specific powder to perform outside of its design parameters.

Walkalong
May 20, 2012, 09:38 AM
At 2:34 a wisp of smoke comes off the chrono. Very interesting.

Neutered10mm
May 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
I will start another thread for the new video, but had the chrono out today and it worked flawlessly ... was definitely the lighting conditions. The chrono results are in for 3.5 grains, 4.0 grains and 4.5 grains ... with the kaboom I had, I feel confident in advising people NOT to take it over 4.6-4.7 grains with these plated bullets. If you do, ensure you have brand new brass and DO NOT exceed 4.9 grains and if you are shooting a Gen III glock in .40 cal, DO NOT exceed 4.8 grains. My KaBoom load measured around 4.9 grains as a reference.

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 S&W w/Titegroup, the journey continues" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!