New Glock

PDA

longhair75
May 19, 2012, 06:42 PM
I went to the gun show today and came home with a Gen3 Glock 19. This pistol has a large following, and I have been curious. I look forward to my first range trip.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hentown
May 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
IF I can find a 3rd gen G19 @ around $400, l.n., that'll be my next firearm purchase. Great handgun!!

longhair75
May 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
My pistol was new in box for $450

hentown
May 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
You did great!! I'd buy that in a minute. Found a deal on one that had been shot only a few times, but let my brother have it. Wish I'd let him find his own! :p

Swing
May 19, 2012, 08:01 PM
Not bad at all. I am a M1911 fan, but will admit to having a G27 in the nightstand. Hey, they work and work darn well. :)

beatledog7
May 19, 2012, 08:22 PM
Good deal indeed. I am very fond of CZ and CZ-based semi-autos for sporting, and my carry guns are revolvers.

But my HD handgun is a Glock.

dubya450
May 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
Even though I already have two g19's (Gen 3 and 4) for 450 nib I'd have to snag that one too! Good buy!

PabloJ
May 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
If it goes through 100 rounds of Federal 'Champion' from Walmart w/o stoppages you have something worthwhile.

hentown
May 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
If it goes through 100 rounds of Federal 'Champion' from Walmart w/o stoppages you have something worthwhile.

What does the ability to shoot underpowered, crappy ammo have to do with worthwhile? :cool:

JEB
May 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
What does the ability to shoot underpowered, crappy ammo have to do with worthwhile?

HA!

honestly, i kind of wish that i had gotten a 19 instead of my 27 or 22. its just such a convienient size/capacity.

C0untZer0
May 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=164803&stc=1&d=1337568984

Warp
May 21, 2012, 12:42 AM
What does the ability to shoot underpowered, crappy ammo have to do with worthwhile?

Assuming it has a potential future defensive role, I would argue that a gun which is unable to function with factory ammo, for whatever excuse, already has one mark against it.

I am of the belief that a defensive firearm needs to work, plain and simple, even if all of the conditions are not set to its favor, because there is no telling what might not be 'just right' if, God forbid, you ever have to use it.

coalman
May 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
I went to the gun show today and came home with a Gen3 Glock 19. This pistol has a large following, and I have been curious. I look forward to my first range trip.

Nice. Congrats.

Warp
May 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
That price is so low I have to wonder if it was truly NIB.

Glocks just don't go for $450 brand new. That is a great price.

M1key
May 21, 2012, 01:19 AM
I just picked one up a few weeks ago at a LGS for $450. It was sold as "used" but I would be hard-pressed to prove it was fired. No oil or copper grease (previous owner must have cleaned it) and absolutely no sign of wear or use...except the rear sight had been moved slightly. Came with an LE mag and a commercial one...

Guess it didn't pass the "home test".:rolleyes:

M

Alvinlorin
May 21, 2012, 02:02 AM
Can you recommend good upgrades for my new Glock 26?

C0untZer0
May 21, 2012, 02:09 AM
I have to disagree with the crappy ammo test.

That's like putting bald tires on your car in the middle of a Minnesota snow storm, and then when you wind up in the ditch you say the car's just not tough enough.

No.

The car is fine.

It's the tires that suck.

M1key
May 21, 2012, 02:16 AM

If your pistol is new, I would recommend...plenty of ammo and practice.

*A good holster.
*Night sights...nice but not required.
*I like rubber grips on mine.
*GAP Enterprises mag floorplates or Pierce +0 mag extentions.

Did I mention ammo?

That's about all I can think of for now.

Good Luck

M

longhair75
May 21, 2012, 10:22 AM
The ergonomics of the Glock are not quiet as different as I first thought. After handling it for a while, the often mentioned grip angle issue is not really a problem for me.

What I found really interesting is that my new pistol settled into my left hand as if it was made just for it.

mdauben
May 21, 2012, 10:34 AM
The ergonomics of the Glock are not quiet as different as I first thought. After handling it for a while, the often mentioned grip angle issue is not really a problem for me.

Yes, I advise people to ingore comment's on the ergos of Glock pistols, and just pick one up and try it for yourself. I found the original G17 grip fit my hand just fine the first time I picked one up. The angle and size seemed just fine. When I first bought my G21 I admit the grip did seem a bit large, because it was larger than any other pistol and revolver I had used to that point, but after a couple boxes of ammo went down range I hardly noticed the size anymore. ;)

faceyournation
May 21, 2012, 01:22 PM
Just picked up a gen 3 glock 19 NIB last week as well, good choice! I would suggest you clean/re-lube it before your first shoot. Mine gun was very dry and I was having minor issues until I took it apart and cleaned it. Ever since then not even the slightest issue! 1000 rounds without a jam so far!

M1key
May 21, 2012, 01:46 PM
Just don't clean off the copper grease. In fact, the Glock manual says NOT TO CLEAN factory-new pistols for the first 500 rounds. Feel free to ADD some good lube in the appropriate areas, however.

Just don't overdo it. :eek:

M

Warp
May 21, 2012, 01:50 PM

Start a thread with this question. In that thread tell us what shooting experience you have and what your intended use for the gun is. ;)

newbuckeye
May 21, 2012, 01:55 PM
Wow M1key....looks like that one got carried under my semi......

faceyournation
May 21, 2012, 02:32 PM
"Just don't clean off the copper grease. In fact, the Glock manual says NOT TO CLEAN factory-new pistols for the first 500 rounds. Feel free to ADD some good lube in the appropriate areas, however."

I would also recommend leaving the copper grease (even though I didn't with mine), however my glock manual says to clean the gun even before the first time shooting it.

M1key
May 21, 2012, 05:44 PM
Well, do what the Glock manual says...just in case they are right. ;)

M

C0untZer0
May 21, 2012, 09:17 PM
There are several different kinds of copper anti-sieze out there.

I'm guessing that because Glock is in Austria they are probably using the German Henkle, but I could be wrong.

The MSDS for the Henkle LOCTITE C5-A is right here:

http://complyplus.grainger.com/grainger/msds.asp?sheetid=3841897#sec2

Some of the companies that make the stuff (like VersaChem) flat out say that it's not a lubricant. It is more commonly called an anti-seize compound or anti-seize assembly compound - sometimes called anti-seize thread lubricant. It is something that you put on an assembly that enables it to be taken back apart at some future date - hence the name "anti-seize" - as in keeping a bolt from seizing up. But not the same connotation as a lubricant that keeps moving parts from seizing up.

So here's my opinion on the copper anti-seize.

One thing that it does better than almost any other grease its that it doesn't separate, dry out or become tacky.

So we all know that there are people who, when they buy a gun, they don't clean it, they don't lube it, they go straight to the range and start blasting away.

I think Glock puts the copper anti-seize in their Glocks to mitigate against the situation where a Glock sits for a long while - either in transport or at distributors and then in a gun shop etc... and then an owner doesn't clean or lube but just fires it. The anti-seize will provide some lubrication and protection of the metal.

The copper anti-seize is for a particular application: shipping it and trying to prepare for some knucklehead who is going to basically fire it right out of the box.

But I think it's completely useless for an owner to use the stuff. There are lubricants - oil and grease out there that are much better, and if an owner has his Glock in storage for a while he can always just clean and re-lube the pistol before firing. Are there that many situations where someone doesn't ever have an opportunity to do regular maintenance on their pistol - it just sits in storage, but they might need to shoot it at a moments notice?

Well if you really truly have that situation then maybe copper anti-seize is the right lube for that application.

Really though, the stuff is targeted for a particular application - to prevent bolts & fasters from welding with the materials they're holding together and to prevent them from corroding and for enabling bolts / fasteners to be backed out at some future time and to prevent them from seizing up when they're untightened.

I have not been able to find NLGI ratings for most of the copper anti-seize compounds, but at least the Versachem I purchased seemed to be thicker than the Walmart Super Tech Extreme Pressure Multi-Duty Complex Hi-Temp grease - which is NLGI #2

It's gritty compared to other gun greases or even compared to general purpose packing grease.

The copper grease that came on my Glock was fairly thick, mostly came off after the third firing / cleaning. There is some trace of it left - which resembles copper fouling - which jives with what another anti-seize manufacturer says about their product.

I was reading the tech sheet on Jet-Lube's copper anti-seize - and it states:

"will not separate, settle out, harden, or dry out in storage"

^ This IMO may be why Glock ships their pistols with copper anti-seize in them.

Their TDS also states:

JET-LUBE SS-30 literally copper plates mating and sliding surfaces to provide protection against seizure, galling, and heat-freeze. Its high content of copper particles prevents metal-to-metal contact, maintaining lubrication qualities under wide variations of temperature, expansion, contraction, and cyclic loadings.

Notice that the German Henkle LOCTITE C5-A has ground up quartz crystals in it - used as a thickner.

Quartz crystals in a lube that goes on a big bolt that is going to stay in place and then go a few revolutions when it's untightened - not a big a deal. Quartz crystals between two sliding steel parts in a hand gun? I don't think it's a good idea. But then again - I don't know exactly what goes into the copper lube that Glock uses. Other copper anti-seize manufacturers use lime as a thickner. Some manufactuer's copper anti-seize is basically lithium grease with copper powder in it.

I think there is better grease out there and I would take the goop off immediately and use any gun oil or gun grease there instead.

abq87120
May 21, 2012, 11:59 PM
I put TruGlo TFOs and Scherer finger extensions on my mags. Great little gun.

hentown
May 22, 2012, 07:34 AM
have to disagree with the crappy ammo test.

That's like putting bald tires on your car in the middle of a Minnesota snow storm, and then when you wind up in the ditch you say the car's just not tough enough.

No.

The car is fine.

It's the tires that suck.

Aren't you concerned about interjecting adult cogency and logic into a thread?? Of course the crappy ammo test is silly!!! I'm sure the OP will enjoy his $450-is-too-cheap-for-a-new-Glock-so-it-must-be-used-G19 !!!! :rolleyes:

Warp
May 22, 2012, 01:21 PM
I have to disagree with the crappy ammo test.

No.

The car is fine.

It's the tires that suck

Analogy fail.

Bald tires =/= in spec ammunition. We aren't talking about bum ammo, or a botched reload/handload here. We are talking about in-spec, factory new ammunition that is a little on the weak side. But still in spec.

Bald tires = out of spec.

;)

psyopspec
May 23, 2012, 05:07 PM
Congrats on the new Glock! Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!