I want a pocket Colt clone

PDA

Jaymo
May 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'd like to have the 49 pocket .31, but the 62 pocket police .36 4.5" is really calling me.
If only I could fine one in stock somewhere. The 4.5" pocket police, that is.
Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "I want a pocket Colt clone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
May 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
Dixie Gun Works, Cimarron, Navy Arms?

Jaymo
May 20, 2012, 06:23 PM
Cimarron is the only one I see who MAY have it in stock, but they don't show a price.
Buffalo shows it as being out of stock.
I wish I could see a pic of one next to a Colt navy or army for comparison.

sltm1
May 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Here's yer Pocket Police pic....4' bbl I think, don't have it any more.
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss205/sltm1/BothColts-1.jpg

DoubleDeuce 1
May 20, 2012, 07:38 PM
Check out The Possibles Shop. I bought two Uberti Colt 1862 Pocket Police models from there. The owner was very nice to deal with. He'll even talk to you over the phone.:cool:

DoubleDeuce 1
May 20, 2012, 07:42 PM
Current price for the Uberti 1862 Pocket Police is $319.00 at The Possible Shop.:cool:

CraigC
May 21, 2012, 11:24 AM
Dixie shows the Uberti 1862 Police in stock at $315.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1032

Unfortunately the $225 version by Palmetto is out of stock.

They also have the best price I've seen on the 1849 Pocket model at $295.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1024

Tommygunn
May 21, 2012, 12:21 PM
I know $ is $ but I would stay away from Palmetto if you have a choice. Their guns are just not up to par with Uberti & Pietta.

Pancho
May 21, 2012, 04:37 PM
long after you forget the extra money you spend you will remember the irritation of buying a bargain.

Jaymo
May 21, 2012, 08:28 PM
sltm1, that settles it, I want one. Yours looks like the 4.5" version.
Tommygunn and Pancho, +1. I have a couple of bargains I regret.

I think I want the 49 pocket .31, also.
Possible shop only lists the pocket popo in 5.5 and 6.5 inch barrels.

Arrgh, why does it have to be so hard to find the 4.5 inch version????????????????

72coupe
May 21, 2012, 08:28 PM
Texas Jack's had a 1862 Pocket Police when I was in there in January.

oldcodger
May 21, 2012, 08:35 PM
had a '62 pocket Police for sale a couple of months ago...

pics of it show very nicely.. (let me see if i can post them from my email)

oc

DoubleDeuce 1
May 22, 2012, 04:10 PM
I have three 1862 Pocket Police revolvers. Two are Uberti, and one is Colt. They are the 5 1/2" barrel model. It just looks more balanced to me.:cool:

DoubleDeuce 1
May 22, 2012, 04:54 PM
I just looked at the Pietta version of the Pocket Police. They list it as a six shot revolver. The original Colt is a five shot as is the Uberti version of the Colt. That accounts for the much more slim outline of the revolver.

If it means anything, the Piettas are stamped all over the place with proof marks. To me, it just muddies up the looks of the gun. The Uberti models, at least the ones I have, are not marked up like that. They have subtle marks underneath the loading lever, on the right side of the barrel and underside of the frame. You really have to look for those distracting marks. The cylinder flutes on the Uberti are more graceful looking than the flutes on the Pietta. Again, that is just more appealing to me.

Because the Uberti is closer to the Colt than the Pietta, it makes for a much more slender and smaller revolver. The Uberti costs a bit more than the Pietta, but for me the fit and finish is great as is the more accurate representation of the original. I was so pleased with the Uberti Pocket Police revolvers, I immediately took them both to an engraver for some light engraving on the backstrap.

My two cents.:cool:

Old Fuff
May 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
If it's a 6-shot/.36 caliber it is not a true Pocket Model. Instead they use the larger 1851/1861 Navy platform. It represents something Colt never made - at least as a production model.

Jaymo
May 22, 2012, 09:23 PM
I've seen the Pietta, and it would be a great one, if I were in the market for a short barreled Navy, but since it's a 6 shot, it won't be as handy as the pocket popo.

I prefer the look of the 4.5" barreled pocket popo.
I may just have to get the 5.5" pocket popo AND a 4" 49 pocket .31. :)
Any excuse to buy more C&B revolvers is a good excuse, to me.

72coupe
May 22, 2012, 10:49 PM
Just sent in my order for this. I couldn't stand not having one any longer.
http://texasjacks.com/BlkPowder/TJ-CA070-PolPocket-6.htm

Tommygunn
May 23, 2012, 12:07 AM
:uhoh:That link says 1862 Pocket Police but shows a picture of the 1860 Army . . . .:scrutiny::confused::what:

junkman_01
May 23, 2012, 08:52 AM
Yes it does show an 1860 Army. :confused:

72coupe
May 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
Ok. You are correct. I didn't think it looked right and the price was wrong. Try this one.
http://texasjacks.com/BlkPowder/TJ-CA070-PolPocket-6.htm

junkman_01
May 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
Yes! :D

CraigC
May 23, 2012, 10:54 AM
You guys are gonna keep up until I order one too! I've had the itch for an 1849 for months.

72coupe
May 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
CraigC I had an 1849 four inch back in the 60s. I used it for short range rabbit hunting and I really liked it.

My only complaint is the 4 incher has a very short loading lever and I was loading buckshot for projectiles. The shot was very hard making loading difficult.

Maybe what i purchase next or maybe a nice 1860 Army.

junkman_01
May 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
Get the nice 1860 Army. You won't regret it! :D

72coupe
May 23, 2012, 06:08 PM
Junkman I have a 3rd Dragoon, an 1858 Remington and I owned a really nice 1860 army back in the 60s.

I guess if I was trying to arm myself like Josey Wales I would need a Walker and an 1849 and an 1860.

junkman_01
May 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
Go for it!

Jaymo
May 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
I've modified my preferences in cap and ball revolvers to include any what are well made and reliable.

Skinny 1950
May 24, 2012, 05:39 AM
I have an 1848 Baby Dragoon .31 with a 5 1/4 inch barrel which is similar to the 1849 Pocket and to be honest even with a maximum load it is pretty lame.

CraigC
May 24, 2012, 08:38 AM
Lame???

Skinny 1950
May 24, 2012, 11:10 AM
It is a neat little gun but it doesn't have much power, the .36 cal. is a lot more practical being easier to load and having a more rewarding flash and bang.

CraigC
May 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
They're black powder percussion guns, "practical" doesn't enter into it.

Hammerdown77
May 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
You tried loading that .31 with 4F powder? Might give you a little more oomph.

72coupe
May 29, 2012, 06:57 PM
The 1862 Pocket Police I ordered last Tuesday came in Friday. I asked them to check the timing, lock up and cylinder gap before they shipped it. A note on the invoice said they did. It does have a very small gap and the timing and lock up are right. However the half cock notch was not working. A little careful work with a screw driver fixed this.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/FLOOD015.jpg
I really like this very small pistol. The fit and finish are very good.

Jaymo
May 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
Nice. Where did you buy it?

72coupe
May 30, 2012, 09:40 AM
Jaymo I got it from Texas Jack's in Fredricksburg, Texas. Neat store they have lots of interesting stuff.

Jaymo
May 30, 2012, 07:46 PM
Sweet.
Too bad I had to spend my BP money on a plumbing repair today.
We had the water line coming from the meter burst while I was at work.
The good news is that the plumber got here a half hour earlier than his earliest ballpark estimated arrival time and had it fixed in less than an hour.
It cost me $225.00, which I feel was fair. I got 2 plumbers on site earlier than predicted and it was repaired quickly, and correctly.
Maybe I can use my quick action in finding a good plumber and getting it fixed as brownie points with the Mrs, so I can get a 62 Pocket Popo.

Had the problem occurred on the weekend, I would have bought the materials and done the job myself.
Since it happened on a work day, and I'd been working my tail off in hot warehouses, on hot forklifts, all day, I didn't have time or energy to mess with it.

The good news, is I found a good, honest plumber who will be my plumber for any future repairs beyond my scope of knowledge/experience.
That, and for repairs I just don't feel like doing. :)

72coupe
May 31, 2012, 04:49 PM
I went to the range this afternoon to text fire the Pocket Police but I left my caps on the loading bench.

I had loaded the gun several days ago so I did get to fire 5 shots. The little gun shoots very well and apparently exactly to point of aim.

The 5 shot group was 8 inches left to right with 4 holes in a staight line and 1 shot centered 3 inches higher than the rest.

I was using a 6 oclock hold on the standard 25 yard pistol bullseye target at 25 yards. 4 of the shots were just below the black where I was aiming with 1 3 inches high and in the black for a 5 shot score of 40.

Jaymo
June 1, 2012, 01:06 AM
Well, the 4.5" Pocket Popo is approximately 2 weeks out, according to Buffalo.
I'm tempted to go ahead and backorder one.

TheBigAR2003
June 1, 2012, 02:43 AM
are the 1849 pocket and 1862 pocket police the same size? or roughly the same size?

junkman_01
June 1, 2012, 08:25 AM
Same size.

Pancho
June 1, 2012, 12:36 PM
72coupe that is sweet, I have two Uberti's and they are my favorites but my gun's had a flaw that you might need to know about. The loading lever catch is not staked very well and has a tendency to fall out, it will cost you about $9+shipping to replace it.
Also, if your interested in flap style holster or a shoulder rig for your gun I'd check with company called Dell leathers. You can find him on Google. He was the only source I could find at the time that stated his holsters were specifically for the 1862.

72coupe
June 1, 2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks Pancho. I would like to have a holster for it.

crstrode
June 3, 2012, 02:17 AM
Damn you old coots!

I also was compelled to order a 1862 police from Texas Jack's. I'm partial to the 6-1/2 inch barrel - looks sleeker to me and matches the 1861 Navy.

Should be here on Wednesday.

crstrode
June 3, 2012, 02:20 AM
You coulda saved about 50 words by giving us a look at yer paper.

72coupe
June 3, 2012, 03:48 PM
I learned that is easier to cap the 1862 Pocket Police through the hammer notch than on the right side. The originals had a groove like the 1860 Army but this reproduction does not.

I learned that the holes in the nipples must be too large as it blows the caps into a 4 petal flat sheet and moves the hammer back to almost half cock.

On my 3rd model dragoon 25 grains of powder is not enough. The loading lever will not push the ball down far enough to give the proper compression of the powder. I get 2 booms when this load is fired and is dangerous I suspect.

The 1862 shoots to point of aim but the dragoon shoots more than a foot right at 25 yards.

TheRodDoc
June 3, 2012, 10:38 PM
The older Uberti's had the cap loading groove.

Tommygunn
June 4, 2012, 12:08 AM
I always wondered exactly what the purpose of those cap loading grooves were. I knew the scallop in the recoil shield was for capping but wondered if that groove was for some tool that was used back in the 1800s.
I have photos of original guns. Some 1851 Navies didn't have them while others did. I don't believe I've seen an 1860 Army without it; as for those small 1862 Police revolvers I really don't recall if all had them ... or whatever.

Jaymo
June 4, 2012, 12:18 AM
RodDoc, is that your personal 62 Pocket Police 4.5"? That's the size I want. How do you like it?
I'd probably replace the nipples with Treso and use my straight capper to cap it. That, or get a capper that works with Remington #10 caps.
Where can I get a spare cylinder for it.

TheRodDoc
June 4, 2012, 12:55 AM
Yes it is mine. Bought around 1976. It is perfectly balanced and handles well. Shoots high like most. No. 10 CCI caps fit the factory nipples perfectly.

Those caps worked very well in earlier days till CCI gave them more power. now they blow apart sometimes and jam it.

I use a straight capper but the cap groove works well to. Tip gun up at about 45 degree angle and put cap against groove and slide it up with thumb.

Jaymo
June 4, 2012, 12:59 AM
I may have to go ahead and backorder one from Buffalo.
Who made your 4.5" Pocket Police?

Smokin'Joe
June 4, 2012, 09:12 AM
The US Army required the cap loading groove on the 1860s.

kBob
June 4, 2012, 09:45 AM
A Brass frame CVA '62 went last night on Gun Broker for $170 and change.

I know this because I had about $1000 in surprise work on the family van earlier last week and so did not bid. I had originally planed to bid a bit more than it went for so I am even more ticked at the Kid Mobile.

I know brass isn't correct and "booga-booga brass is weaK" but it was pretty and a lot cheaper than a new steel frame.

Oh Well.

-kBob

Pancho
June 4, 2012, 09:53 AM
72coupe, Although the 62 is a beautiful gun I was forewarned that it is fussy to shoot out of the box and it is. There are better nipples to be had and I've had my best luck with Track of the Wolf's in house SS nipples, they are purpose designed for CCI #11 caps so there is no need for pinching or trouble seating them. The vent hole is smaller so fragmenting is less.
There is a new nipple on the market that has a vent hole drilled crosswise though it to prevent splintering of the cap but sadly they don't make it for the Uberti 62.
If you opt to get new nipples be aware that there is some confusion as to thread size.
My 62's were made around 2007 and they have metric threads 5.5-.9mm.
It has also been suggested that the safety hammer notch should be filled in with JB weld to prevent the hammer from grabbing the spent cap and pulling it off when cocking.
Filling in the notch prevents you from loading 5 and using the "tween" pin as a safety which is not much of a hardship.

As for your holster as I stated earlier Dell leather's makes an affordable flap style holster in right or left carry in black or brown. When I bought mine a few years back they were about $35. They also make a cool shoulder rig

72coupe
June 4, 2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks Pancho I am going to Track right now.

crstrode
June 4, 2012, 01:44 PM
I'd been watching that one since it was first listed almost 2 weeks ago. Hardly any bids up until the last. It started at $150 and was listed as never fired (maybe).

I can hardly wait till it gets here!

Jaymo
June 4, 2012, 07:26 PM
My LGS has an Uberti 1862 Pocket Police with what they described as "about a 5 inch barrel".
That could be 4.5 or 5.5 inch. They want $330-something for it. I have a friend who works part-time there and he is going to check it out for me tomorrow.
It's NIB. I'm not worried about him buying it out from under me, he bought one there a couple of weeks ago. Plus, he's not that kind of guy.

If it's a 4.5", I'll get it. If it's a 5.5" I may still get it. I'll have to fondle it to see if I like the 5.5" better in hand than when looking at it.

72coupe
June 10, 2012, 09:23 PM
I just finished installing the Track of the Wolf stainless nipples on my 1862. I think this will make it much easier to cap. I hope the smaller holes will stop the blown up caps.

Too busy to get to the range this week.

Jaymo
June 11, 2012, 12:55 AM
I looked at the 62 popo at the LGS, it's a 5.5" barrel. I want the 4.5" barrel. They wouldn't work with me on the price, either.
I explained that I can get it for less, and for how much less, online.
The salesman asked me where I was going to get it for less. So, I told him.
He looked shocked.

72coupe
June 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
Jaymo, the internet is wonderful and horrible all at the same time. Depending on your perspective of course.

kBob
June 12, 2012, 02:27 PM
crstrode,

Grumble grumble....still, I guess it is better if THR 'family" got it than some stranger but still.......

You better get some pictures of it up for us!

Meanwhile friend in Montana has appeaerently not shot his Uberti yet after two months.....how?

-kBob

Jaymo
June 12, 2012, 10:20 PM
I've been checking Buffalo Arms' website every day since I started this thread.
Every time I checked, it showed the 4.5" 1862 Pocket Police as being out of stock.
Well, tonight I checked again and it showed "ample stock".
So, I pulled the trigger on it. I can't wait for it to come in, and I hope it wasn't just a glitch.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

rodwha
June 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
Isn't a .31 Cal for naughty squirrels and rabbits?

junkman_01
June 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
Jaymo,

I really feel for you, but I just checked Buffalo arms for your rervolver and it says out of stock....

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Firearms_Buffalo_Arms_Company_it-158790.aspx?CAT=3950

Jaymo
June 12, 2012, 10:32 PM
Yes, but that would be the 1849 Colt Pocket Revolver, not the 1862 Pocket Police.
I ordered the 1862 Pocket Popo .36 caliber. That one's for REALLY naughty skwiwwels and wabbits.

I could use that one for hunting feral hogs. After all, every armchair expert I've discussed porker hunting with told me that I don't need a .444, .303, or .30-06 for hunting huge GA feral hawgs. After all, their (insert relative here) raised pigs and he always killed them with a single shot to the noggin with a .22 LR.
Never mind the fact that there's a huge difference between shooting a domestic pig that's in a pen and thinks you're approaching it to feed it, and a big, mean feral porker that thinks that you ARE food.
I'm sure I can take Hogzilla with a single broadside shot to the shoulder. ;)

junkman01, yes, it now says out of stock. When I placed my order, it showed it as in stock. Either I got the last one or it's a glitch.
I haven't noticed any glitches on their website since I've been checking.

I'll call them tomorrow afternoon and double check.

junkman_01
June 12, 2012, 10:33 PM
Isn't a .31 Cal for naughty squirrels and rabbits?
Yea, a .31 is, but Jaymo ordered a '62 Pocket Police. They are .36 caliber.

Jaymo
June 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
I just checked my confirmation email from Buffalo.
It doesn't say anything about a backorder.
I'll remain positive about it until I either recieve the popo or until I confirm that it was a glitch.
I will be a sad puppy if it's just a glitch.
I'll be a very happy camper if I got the last one, AND if it's a good one. :)

junkman_01
June 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
I hope it's not a glitch and you got the ONE they considered 'AMPLE STOCK'. I know how badly you have been wanting one!

Jaymo
June 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
Why, thank you, junkman. Behind that hard, abrasive exterior, you're just a big ol' softy, aren't ye?

I also hope I got one. I don have to wonder about 1 being ample stock.
Unless other people were ordering the same thing at the same time as I.

junkman_01
June 12, 2012, 10:53 PM
Jaymo,

I keep my friends close, and my enemies closer. :cool:

PS. Not that you are my enemy, by ANY means.

Jaymo
June 12, 2012, 11:01 PM
I'd surely hope I'm not yer enemy. We're a big family on here. Brothers and sisters sometimes fight, and don't always agree, but they're still family.

Besides, you're one of the few people I know, who shoots his pistols the same way I do. ONE HANDED. Like Sam Colt intended. :D

Plus, y'all are the only folks who "get" my love of BP.

junkman_01
June 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:neener:

Jaymo
June 13, 2012, 12:05 AM
You're ok, jm01. Don't worry, though. I won't tell anyone. Your secret is safe with me. ;)

We need to get together for a photo op. Get a pic of the two of us standing in adjacent lanes, shooting BP revolvers they way they're supposed to be shot.

Back on topic, I'm champing at the bit, with anticipation. Just hope my wife doesn't divorce me over this latest purchase. She kinda freaked over the ROA, when she saw the bank statement. Until I showed her how much they were fetching on Gunbroker, that is.

Good thing forgiveness is easier to get than permission, eh? (That's what I tell myself, anyway.)

Jaymo
June 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
According to Buffalo Arms, my order is being shipped. I'm happy.

Pancho
June 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
Jaymo, The only down side to a 4.5" 62 is a very short loading lever but the gun sure looks great.

junkman_01
June 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
According to Buffalo Arms, my order is being shipped. I'm happy.
Jaymo,

I'm glad for you that yours was the 'Ample Stock' .:D

Jaymo
June 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I guess their website meant that one was plenty for me. :)
They even gave me a tracking number and have been very helpful on the 4 occasions I've called. (Not all for this order)

Yep, it has shipped. I sure hope it's a good one.

junkman_01
June 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
Be sure to post some pictures when it arrives. BTW, I have a Pocket Navy. 5.5 inch Uberti, since 1979.

Jaymo
June 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
How do you like it? I'm guessing, very much. You are quite the Colt fan.
I'm also a huge Colt fan. Not nuts about the 1860 Army (barrel length and grip length) but I'm very fond of Colts, nonetheless.
The most recent tracking info shows it has been processed through the Spokane, WA PO.
The "expected delivery date" is tomorrow.
I doubt it. I figure Saturday, maybe. We'll see.

junkman_01
June 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
Jaymo,

I have loved it since 1979. In 1980 my wife made this teak presentation case for it as my Xmas present that year.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131688&d=1291580327

Jaymo
June 14, 2012, 09:23 PM
That isa very nice setup Junkman. Your wife did a nice job.

Jaymo
June 15, 2012, 09:26 PM
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz64/fortj3/62popo.jpg

Yep, one was definitely "ample stock for me.:D

junkman_01
June 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
Super! I'm glad you got lucky. ;)

Jaymo
June 15, 2012, 09:46 PM
Me too. My wife thought it was an empty box, when the postal carrier handed it to her. She was surprised at how light it is. I'd better watch that old girl. I could end up losing it to her.
It's a lot smaller than my 51 Navy, but a good bit bigger than my Remington Pocket .31.
So, the 62 Popo is my backup C&B, and the 63 Rem pocket .31 is the backup to my backup.

I really like it. The action is nice and smooth, and the wedge goes in/out with thumb pressure.
The action of the one I handled at my LGS was rough/gritty. Not so with this one.
Now, I need to get a holster and more balls for it.
I REALLY like it. It's a sweet little piece. Very handy.

DoubleDeuce 1
June 15, 2012, 10:40 PM
The 1862 Pocket Police model is a fun one to shoot. I have fairly large hands and fingers. It is a bit difficult to do the loading while the cylinder is in the frame for me. I take it off to load, much easier.:cool:

Jaymo
June 15, 2012, 10:52 PM
Admittedly, the creeping loading lever is going to take some getting used to. I can't believe it went from ID to WA and then GA in 2 days. I had it shipped priority mail, which usually takes 3 days to get from CA or NV to GA.
I'm very favorably impressed with the folks at Buffalo Arms. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Now, where's the best place to get balls for this little .36?

What ball diameter is best for it? .375? .380?

TheRodDoc
June 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
.375 fit my Uberti just right. And I shoot with no lube or wads with all my cap and ball guns.

junkman_01
June 16, 2012, 12:03 AM
.375 fits my Uberti just fine too.

Jaymo
June 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks.
I was wondering, where is the Uberti mark stamped on these? i haven't found it yet. I've found the date code and proof house stampings, but not the Uberti logo.

And, thanks to whoever fixed my pic. I don't know why it posted vertically.

kBob
June 16, 2012, 03:59 PM
Well I have been left behind on another CVA brasser Pocket Police onGunBroker.

I have yet to see these $100 revolvers I heard so much about on GB and it seems every thing I want....so does everyone else!

If it is again someone here that has the high bid on that little lovely , good on ya and enjoy it.

-kBob

DoubleDeuce 1
June 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
Jay, look under the loading lever for the markings. That is where mine are marked. They weren't stamped deeply, mostly electro-etched. Also look on the bottom where the frame mates with the barrel. There might be a very faint, single mark on the right side of the barrel near the wedge also.:cool:

junkman_01
June 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
Jaymo,

My Pocket Navy is marked on the left side of the frame....

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166377&stc=1&d=1339879882

Jaymo
June 16, 2012, 08:55 PM
Mine has a couple of tiny marks stamped on the bottom of the frame, slightly in front of and partially covered by the trigger guard. I'll have to dig out the loupe and check it.

I decided to try different caps to see what it likes best.
Big surprise, It likes Remington 10s.
CCI 10s make the cylinder drag (the sides of the caps drag, not the backs) and have to be hit twice to fire.
CCI 11s are loose on the nipples and drag a little.

So, the caps I can get locally don't work with it. I have to find somewhere to order caps.

Other than that, I absolutely love it.

junkman_01
June 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
You are right, it is no surprise it likes Remington # 10s. All my C&B revolvers do.

I get my Rem. # 10s at Powder Valley (http://powdervalleyinc.com/).

Buy 1000 and pay the hazmat fee and you will be set for a long time.

Pancho
June 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
I've reported that the TOW SS nipples were good for my 62's. Towards trying to make them great I've sent a set to a machine shop to have 1/32" vent holes drilled in them. When I get them back I'll let you know the results.

Jaymo
June 19, 2012, 09:50 PM
Are you talking about enlarging the flash holes, or are you talking about drilling cross holes underneath the nipples, to lessen blowback?
Or are you talking about drilling additional flash holes, perpendicular to the existing one, to improve upon ignition?
Confused minds want to know.

Pancho
June 20, 2012, 12:47 AM
One of Mike Beliveau's videos was about him trying "slick" nipples that are vented and he liked them a lot. Sad to say the Slick people do not make a nipple that will fit my Uberti 62's. TOW does make (in house) an excellent nipple that is purpose designed for the cc
I#11 cap. I've sent them to the machine shop to have them vented drilled through as the Slick nipples are
The one major difference is that the vent holes will be at the base of the cone.
I will owe this forum and Mike my findings.

TheRodDoc
June 20, 2012, 01:23 AM
The cross hole drilled below the cap skirt sounds like a real good way to have chain fires.

If the cap companys would go back to less powerful caps instead of the MORE power they have now the problem would be much much less.

Haven't any of you noticed that just snaping caps in the revolver blows most of them open or apart with no main powder load in the chambers. So it isn't always a large flash hole causing the problem. in fact a larger flash hole would work maybe better.

mykeal
June 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
Haven't any of you noticed that just snaping caps in the revolver blows most of them open or apart with no main powder load in the chambers.
Nope. Doesn't happen on my guns.

Jaymo
June 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
It happens on all of my funs when I use CCI caps.
Remington #10s sometimes do, and sometimes don't, but CCI caps just about always blow apart.
I've snapped a cylinder of all my caps on all my BP funs, just to find out which caps they like, before loading and shooting them.
So far, the CCI caps just about always blow apart.

So far, my worst BP gun (for cap jams) is my 1863 Remington Pocket .31. 1 or 2 rounds of CCI caps jams it up tight. Remingtons do not.

Pancho
June 21, 2012, 12:56 AM
I use cci #11 caps on mu 62' s with good all around performance. the caps splinter but don't break ups in small pieces that sneek into the action. I'm going to take set of5 to a machinist to have them drill vent holedd

Jaymo
June 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
I just looked up the date code on my 62 popo. It's CD, which makes it a 2009.
That really is a slow boat from the country that looks like a boot.
It's a year newer than my 2008 DP Howdah (from Cabela's), land a year older than my 2
Rem NMAs, 2010 (also cabela's).
Funny thing is, My BPs from Cabela's were proofed the same years as purchased.
I actually had to wait for the 2009 popo to arrive from Italy (in 2012) before I could order it.

Pancho
June 25, 2012, 09:29 AM
TheRodDoc, your point is well taken. If the vent is exposed it could contribute to chain fires but if it is covered with the skirt is could increase the likelihood of splintered caps. Hmmmm.

Pancho
June 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
Just got off the phone with the machine shop and thankfully they haven't drilled them yet. I sent a PM to Mike Believeau to ask him if the vent hole in the slick nipples is covered with the skirt of the cap. Waiting for his answer before I do anything.

mykeal
June 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
Hot Shot and Surefire nipples have been around for several years. The vent holes appear to be under the cap skirt. The historical record on the forums suggests that problems with fragmenting caps do not appear.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/mykealsm/Guns/hotshotnipple.jpg

Pancho
June 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
Thank you Mykeal, that picture tells the tale. Maybe with calipers and your picture I can get a comparative to instruct the machinist.

kBob
June 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
IGM!!!

Italian of un known make 1849 Baby Dragoon arrived today. Filthy and not working at 11:30 AM clean and put together correctly ( all it seemed to need but for a little file work to reduce two burrs) and shown off to friend by 2:30 PM.

Not sure if I qualify for pocket pistol as it has the six inch barrel. Fits the kids like it was made for them. Shooting must wait for Manyana as things going on this aftrenoon. I know it didnt happen without pics, give me a bit.

-kBob

kBob
June 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Sorry no pics today as Deby is visiting.....just spent two hours cleaning up things that were in contact with the soaked carpet IN MY GUN CLOSET! The safes are OK but some old bolt action military stuf stored with th bolts locked in the safes but leaning in the cornors now have some rust on the butplates and one has some "dark wood" at the butt plate.

No BP stuff damaged though.

We did and even do need the rain'..... but outside please!

-kBob

72coupe
July 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
Well you guys warned me but I thought it will not happen to me. At the range the loading lever catch that is dovetailed into the barrel came loose. I didn't loose it. It is just loose.

72coupe
July 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
This morining I took the little dovetailed peice out, laid it on its edge, placed it on a large chunk of stainless steel and smacked it with a 4 pound hammer. I then drove it back into its dovetail, it was tight.

I also staked it on the lever side just to be safe.

If you enjoyed reading about "I want a pocket Colt clone" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!