Anyone else hate non-efficient ammo packaging?

PDA

holdencm9
May 21, 2012, 05:53 PM
Partially a vent, but also questions.

It just mildly irritates me when certain manufacturers like Remington UMC (for instance) put 20 rounds of .223 in a box with the same volume (nearly) as four boxes of PMC Bronze. Because with PMC the rounds are just laid in the box nice and tight with no protection, and the UMC has a big block of foam. It seems like such a waste. Same for handgun ammo. I like the way PMC, Herter's, S&B, etc. are just laid in there nice and tight. I can fit several boxes in a small range bag pocket no problem. UMC is the worst offender for over-foaming their boxes, but there are some others out there too I believe.

My question is why do some manufacturers do this? Is it for "safety" or to "protect" the rounds? I guess I can understand the protection for match-grade or SD rounds, but not practice stuff.Is it so that they can use the same box for multiple cartridges?

All things being equal I definitely try to buy the tightly-packed stuff, but maybe some of you reloaders like the foam for re-use? Just thinking out loud here.

Kind of a silly nit-pick :) but that's what the internet is for, amiright?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else hate non-efficient ammo packaging?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
May 21, 2012, 05:57 PM
Is it so that they can use the same box for multiple cartridges?
This is my guess.

They probably contract with a cardboard container company who prints their boxes up for them, and they get a volume discount if that company only has to print onto one box size -or a small number of box sizes- rather than a completely different size of box for every single varying ammo type, even within one caliber.

It obviously comes down to money/expenses. They wouldn't do this if it didn't save time and money.

I can imagine that the printing company can acquire say, 100,000 units of box 'A'. It can then print off 'x' number of PMC boxes and 'x' number of UMC boxes without changing out the type of box that they are printing onto.

Skribs
May 21, 2012, 05:57 PM
That doesn't bother me as much as when the round is put in upside-down into the foam. Trying to grab a .380 by the bullet is a pain in the bicycle.

CoRoMo
May 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
And to answer the title question; no, I have not developed a hatred for this packaging issue. There are bigger things in life.

holdencm9
May 21, 2012, 06:09 PM
That doesn't bother me as much as when the round is put in upside-down into the foam. Trying to grab a .380 by the bullet is a pain in the bicycle.

Haha I have never encountered that. But I have heard of people getting boxes with missing rounds, or missing primers in some of the cases, etc. Weird things sure do happen.

And to answer the title question; no, I have not developed a hatred for this packaging issue. There are bigger things in life.

Agreed. Hate is too strong a word anyway. More like "irks" me. But I am naturally curious as to the why of things so I thought I'd ask.

Flashcube
May 21, 2012, 06:27 PM
They should sell ammo like the way you used to get candies and nuts in the market... you know, those lidded bins with a scoop. Brown bag it and pay by the pound... :D

danweasel
May 21, 2012, 06:33 PM
I like it!

HGUNHNTR
May 21, 2012, 06:36 PM
I recycle all of it, but the less waste the better. I see no need for plastic inside of the boxes.

ApacheCoTodd
May 21, 2012, 07:18 PM
I don't know about the efficiency side - though they are wasteful - but those dog-gone Federal Hydra-Shok boxes flat piss me off for opening or seeing into without opening.

Robert
May 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
I wish the guy that reloaded my ammo would stop just dumping it into an ammo can... oh wait...

osprey176
May 21, 2012, 10:28 PM
Factory ammo?I didn't know the factories made ammo. I put mine in Zip loc bags.They fit in my range bags real nice.

holdencm9
May 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
They should sell ammo like the way you used to get candies and nuts in the market... you know, those lidded bins with a scoop. Brown bag it and pay by the pound...

Yes! Or the cereal dispensers at hotels, where you turn the knob and all the cereal falls out into your bowl.

Sheepdog1968
May 22, 2012, 12:12 AM
It bugs me as well. To the point where if I have a choice and I'm looking for social shooting ammo I will choose that which is most efficiently and densely packed.

Certaindeaf
May 22, 2012, 12:41 AM
But Sea Turtles need to eat too..

That was a joke.

gp911
May 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
I think Buffalo Bore may top the inefficient packaging list. Cardboard over a plastic box with a slab of foam inside that is 3x the size it needs to be.

19-3Ben
May 22, 2012, 09:36 AM
They should sell ammo like the way you used to get candies and nuts in the market... you know, those lidded bins with a scoop. Brown bag it and pay by the pound...

My Lord... An ammo bulk bin. Never in my 28 years have I have never heard a more glorious and wonderful idea.
Seriously... brilliant right there! Just write the PLU on a little tag, bring it up front and vuala.

Prince Yamato
May 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
An ammo bulk bin is a fantastic idea! "I'll take 5lbs of 9mm please!"

CountryUgly
May 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
Winchester white box. Huge box all foam and a few dirty bullets.....

ApacheCoTodd
May 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
An ammo bulk bin is a fantastic idea! "I'll take 5lbs of 9mm please!"
There ya go! Or maybe... "Gimme a half gallon of .357. What? No, I don't want two liters - I want a half gallon! Yup, brought my own jar"

And how 'bout that "white box" Country? I haven't bought any in a while - do they still use that crapy styrofoam that crumbles and statically clings to everything in the county like the inside of the magazine, your shooting glasses and ear muffs?

dragon813gt
May 22, 2012, 11:13 AM
The last time I bough Winchester white box for 9mm they were loose in the box. I don't remember having any dividers in the box. I can see people that pan lube liking the plastic dividers that come with say Federal handgun ammo. Allows you to quickly place bullets tightly together in the pan so there is no wasted space.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

shuvelrider
May 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
Obviously, don't buy the ammo if it offends you. You could always write the company a nasty-gram about it, and vent your rage at them over a piece of styrofoam :rolleyes:.
There really are more important things to worry about, just roll your own ammo and be done with it.

Flashcube
May 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
I meant my comment more as a joke, but the more I think about it... the more I think it might actually work. With the accuracy of modern electronic scales, and ammo manufactured under controlled conditions like that of factory ammo... for all intents each round *should* weight the same. Would make it fairly simple to convert it from price per round, to price per pound and cut out the cost of packaging. Would be the same as the cashier at the market hitting the banna button... just it would be the 115grain Federal 9mm button. :scrutiny:

Arkansas Paul
May 22, 2012, 11:25 AM
I think the factory ammo that I buy is packaged very efficiently. But then again, the only factory ammo I buy is bulk .22 lr.

shotgunjoel
May 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Those manufacturers with good packaging that you listed are all imported brands. Remington is domestic. It might be that the imported brands want to save on shipping costs, and that domestic brands want to be big and get seen on the shelf.

ApacheCoTodd
May 22, 2012, 11:45 AM
Obviously, don't buy the ammo if it offends you. You could always write the company a nasty-gram about it, and vent your rage at them over a piece of styrofoam :rolleyes:.
There really are more important things to worry about, just roll your own ammo and be done with it.
Some folk are just having fun with the topic. There're also more important things to worry about than worrying about the importance of what others worry about... Says the guy worrying about your worry:neener:.

As far as white box being loose in the box - mayhap they oughta go to "white bag" so we can reuse it.

TimboKhan
May 22, 2012, 11:52 AM
Part of me says I should lock this, as complaining about packaging serves no real service. You guys have stayed remarkably on topic though, so I am hoping that this one just sort of dies a natural death. Is there teally much more to discuss?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

shuvelrider
May 22, 2012, 12:03 PM
I'm worrying that there wont be anything more to keep me entertained here at Bagram :D:neener:, don't take away my fun. Seriously though, reload your own .223.
If you haven't started, its a fun hobby and very relaxing (at least to me). Just some time spent at the press, pretty soon you,ll have a bulk can filled up with target/range ammo :D

beatledog7
May 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
Size matters for loss prevention. A big box is harder to steal than a small one.

Maybe the packaging scheme is intended to give the appearance of containing more rounds than it really does. Sure, the label expresses the actual quantity, but some people don't read labels very closely.

That's why we read about people buying cartridges that are sort of almost the right ones for their gun, but not quite.

RhinoDefense
May 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
I sell brass by the pound where customers can scoop it out of 55 gallon plastic drums. Never thought about ammunition done like that. I've got some ideas spun off of that.

Jeff H
May 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
What about the clowns at Federal that package the primers? Talk about a waste of space.

RhinoDefense
May 22, 2012, 01:15 PM
That's to prevent detonation in transit. Trust me, they need it.

ApacheCoTodd
May 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
That's to prevent detonation in transit. Trust me, they need it.
Yup - one thing you don't want "bulk" packed. "Toss me a bag of primers please."
I sure would like to have a "post consumer" use for them though as a lot goes int making those one time trays.

Arkansas Paul
May 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
"Toss me a bag of primers please."

:uhoh:

Skribs
May 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
On the bin idea, another idea could be at a gun range, to have common ammo stored in bins that require tokens (say each token costs $5). At a handgun range, for example, you might have a bin for .22, 9, .40, .45, .38, .380, and .357. The dispenser then dispenses enough ammunition to accomade the token cost. That way, when you run through the box you bought at the counter, instead of having to leave the range area, you just go to the back wall, put in your token, and get a dozen more rounds.

The .22 dispenser would just use quarters.

heron
May 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
Barnaul. All the rounds in the box are interwound with brown wrapping paper. It's a mess getting them out, and then you're left with a bunch of paper trash.

holdencm9
May 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
Part of me says I should lock this, as complaining about packaging serves no real service. You guys have stayed remarkably on topic though, so I am hoping that this one just sort of dies a natural death.

Thanks for not locking it! I guess it doesn't serve a real purpose to complain about packaging, but as gun owners are also oftentimes stewards of the environment, it can't hurt to raise awareness of ridiculous over-use of styrofoam. But also, maybe someone out there wants to buy a bunch of ammo online and store it, it might help them to know what is efficiently packaged. And the dispenser idea is brilliant, so it's all in good fun. I am sure it will die soon enough :)

Winchester white box. Huge box all foam and a few dirty bullets.....

Although I guess WWB is terrible in 50-packs, I only ever buy their 100-round "value" packs where the ammo is loose in the box.

Those manufacturers with good packaging that you listed are all imported brands. Remington is domestic. It might be that the imported brands want to save on shipping costs, and that domestic brands want to be big and get seen on the shelf.

That makes a lot of sense!

EvilGenius
May 22, 2012, 04:38 PM
I ike the plastic ones that most .45 comes in.

Who needs to waste money on plastic boxes for thei reloads?

Flopsweat
May 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
I recycle all of it, but the less waste the better. I see no need for plastic inside of the boxes.
Some of the 9mm plastic inserts make dandy reloading trays for .223, especially if you hand charge each one outside the press. So I guess I recycle a little too. ;)

Part of me says I should lock this, as complaining about packaging serves no real service. You guys have stayed remarkably on topic though, so I am hoping that this one just sort of dies a natural death. Is there teally much more to discuss?
This thread must not die! :D Seriously, we'll behave. And you gotta admit the bulk bin idea is pure genius.

Barnaul. All the rounds in the box are interwound with brown wrapping paper. It's a mess getting them out, and then you're left with a bunch of paper trash.
Same with Silver Bear. A stapled paper wrapper inside the box, with more pieces of paper inside it separating each layer of rounds. Try chasing those around on a windy day. Very difficult to handle properly in the field. Even on a bench it's a pain in the backside.

Certaindeaf
May 22, 2012, 05:42 PM
On the bin idea, another idea could be at a gun range, to have common ammo stored in bins that require tokens (say each token costs $5). At a handgun range, for example, you might have a bin for .22, 9, .40, .45, .38, .380, and .357. The dispenser then dispenses enough ammunition to accomade the token cost. That way, when you run through the box you bought at the counter, instead of having to leave the range area, you just go to the back wall, put in your token, and get a dozen more rounds.

The .22 dispenser would just use quarters.
The Japanese use dispensing machines like crazy.. just not ammoe and this and that..

Recycle, re-use.

Salmoneye
May 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
Anyone else hate non-efficient ammo packaging?

Yes...

It's silly and wasteful...

The ammo companies should go back to the alternating 'up/down-5 to a row' like the 'old' days for handgun calibers, and alternating stacks for the rifle calibers...

Less packaging, more ammo per cube when shipping, etc....

DoubleTapDrew
May 22, 2012, 06:14 PM
Hows this for dense packaging?

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/FAXM855BAR.jpg

12,500rd drum of M855 *drool*
It's only $4,000

I'm sure the UPS man and his chiropractor would love you

CountryUgly
May 22, 2012, 08:18 PM
The last time I bough Winchester white box for 9mm they were loose in the box. I don't remember having any dividers in the box. I can see people that pan lube liking the plastic dividers that come with say Federal handgun ammo. Allows you to quickly place bullets tightly together in the pan so there is no wasted space.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.
Goes to show you how long it's been since I bought the junk....:p

B!ngo
May 22, 2012, 10:08 PM
I think that ammo-by-the pound with a scoop, bag, item code and barrel is a great idea. I hope someone gets that going.
FWIW, I think that the 'individually wrapped' rounds (the ones in the foam, plastic or cardboard) is done for the psychic value (i.e marketing impact). When that is done, some might think that it is higher value stuff that commands a higher price.
I KNOW that is what is done with individually wrapped candies and such. Probably works for just about anything.
I for one don't like it for the reasons cited by the OP. But at the end, I'll buy anything based on the price/performance value that I'm looking for for any particular purchase. It could even be marked 'For Zombies Only!'. Well, no, maybe not that. :)

Double Naught Spy
May 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
No, my complaint about packaging isn't the efficiency of the packaging, by how the packaging hinders access to the ammunition. It seems that more often than not, but best access is to just dump it out.

ApacheCoTodd
May 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
The barrel above reminds me of what a fan I am of Wholesale Ammo's bulk re-loads sold in 500 round loose ammo cans. It's funny to look in and see all the varrying cases but after 1000s of rounds, I've never had a mishap.

Warp
May 23, 2012, 12:43 AM
I think Buffalo Bore may top the inefficient packaging list. Cardboard over a plastic box with a slab of foam inside that is 3x the size it needs to be.
I think you may be right. It's amazing how large a 20 round box of .38spl is when you get it from them.

It takes up so much space in a range bag. Before I upsized to a big Midway bag it was a real pain and I'd end up taking them out of the box, putting them in something else, just to go to the range.

Fishslayer
May 23, 2012, 03:22 AM
I ike the plastic ones that most .45 comes in.

Who needs to waste money on plastic boxes for thei reloads?

^^^ This...

How green can ya get? I recycle the brass and also scrounge the used plastic, styrofoam and boxes out of the range trash. ;)

"Green" sounds so much better than "cheap!":D

Owen Sparks
May 23, 2012, 04:08 AM
I bought custom boxes in bulk before and the cost is all in the set up. The cardboard is the cheap part. If all you need is 100 boxes made the will coat a LOT more per box than if you buy them by the thousands. Ammo companies try to cut cost by using as few sizes as possible and be glad that they do. The savings is passed on to the customer in the form of lower prices.

ChefJeff1
May 23, 2012, 09:08 PM
the CCI plastic containers annoy me. The ones with the sliding lid. The bullets are hard to pull out without dumping it out.

Now, I mostly use ziploc bags too.

ThePenguinKnight
May 24, 2012, 01:34 AM
I've been told that Federal's primers are quite a bit softer than some of their competitors, which could possibly be the reason for most of their ammunition and primer boxes being significantly larger than most of their competition. That seems to go along with my experience, but I've no proof thereof.

As far as Remington's boxes, part of it likely goes toward the one-size-fits-all box that they try to get away with-- fewer box sizes means bigger orders of the one box size, meaning better price (in general) from the cardboard guys. The other reason I could see is some claim about protecting the bullet from getting knocked around in the neck of the case-- much less of a thing with pistol cartridges, but has a bit more relevance in rifle rounds. Not much relevance, but a little.

The worst packaging by far that I've seen is the russian 7.62x39, with the brown paper inside separating each layer. The boxes themselves are flimsy enough, but with those little papers flying all over.... I'll be filling a .30 cal ammo can of loose rounds for that one.

I normally stack up my 9mm reloads in the old factory boxes (and a smattering of MTM cases), so I can keep easy track of how many rounds there are and how many I fire in a sitting, but I'm fast moving toward the notion of loose-in-a-can for that one too. Something about opening the top and seeing all those shiny cartridges makes me smile :)

Dr.Rob
May 24, 2012, 05:42 AM
Hate is a strong word. I found the 'overpackaging' by Remington and Federal USEFUL when making up target and hunting grade loads I didn't want to just rattle around in an ammo can. I'd just re-use the Remington or Federal boxes and inserts and put a new label on the end with the new load data.

The old foam inserts got tossed but if there were plastic holders I'd use them as described.

evan price
May 24, 2012, 06:38 AM
I think it is Federal rifle ammo that comes in the plastic sleeves of ten, two of them in a box? Those sleeves have slots on the end that can be attached to your belt, like a holster. That's kind of nice when in the woods.

I save the thick Remington plastic pistol box inserts for use as reloading trays. Very sturdy, stable, and if they get damaged I toss them. The 9mm size works great for 223, and the 45 size works great for 308.

I save the PMC and Fiocchi ammo 9mm boxes for repacking reloads; they are the most efficient form factor for 9mm.

mgmorden
May 24, 2012, 10:24 AM
I've found the larger packaging mildy annoying, but not enough to worry much about it. Most of my ammo is handloaded anyways - factory is just what I shoot when I either run out of brass or just have been lazy regarding the reloading for a while. All my reloads go into small plastic hinged boxes that are fairly efficient size-wise.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-saFQxbt1GOk/T742Gv62rJI/AAAAAAAAA4A/WmvOiIv8JF8/s800/sr-box.gif

The ones I use are by Smart Reloader. Plano makes some good ones too. I like both better than the MTM boxes as they have actual hinges rather than a flexing piece of plastic that will eventually wear out.

TimboKhan
May 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
Boy, i am glad i followed my instinct not to lock! Turns out this is an interesting thread!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HGUNHNTR
May 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
I'd support a system similar to the one used for water at my local grocery store. You buy the container, take it home, empty it, and bring it back for a refill. Should work well for ammo, and allows you to keep a container for transport or storage if you so choose.

Something about opening the top and seeing all those shiny cartridges makes me smile Tru dat!

Mr. D
May 24, 2012, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I agree - Buffalo Bore is ridiculously overpackaged. However, most Buffalo Bore ammo isn't exactly range fodder anyway. At any rate, I like plastic inserts. I use them to store soon-to-be-shot ammo or cleaned, inspected, deprimed brass.

~D

Warp
May 24, 2012, 01:35 PM
I'd support a system similar to the one used for water at my local grocery store. You buy the container, take it home, empty it, and bring it back for a refill. Should work well for ammo, and allows you to keep a container for transport or storage if you so choose.

Tru dat!

How would that work? How would the ammo ship to the retail outlet? What would it be transferred to when you bought it, how, and how would it be counted?

HGUNHNTR
May 24, 2012, 02:06 PM
^ Yeah dude, just ship it in bulk to the retail outlet and buy it by the pound or ton.

DoubleTapDrew
May 24, 2012, 02:30 PM
the CCI plastic containers annoy me. The ones with the sliding lid. The bullets are hard to pull out without dumping it out.

Now, I mostly use ziploc bags too.

I like those cci containers. Want 5 rounds? slide the lid back so one row is exposed and turn it over into your hand. Want 10? Slide it back a littler further.
I suppose if you are firing 1 round at a time it would be annoying picking them out.

Flopsweat
May 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
How would that work? How would the ammo ship to the retail outlet? What would it be transferred to when you bought it, how, and how would it be counted?
It would be shipped in a 55 gallon drum the way God intended. :D Bring your own container, measure by weight. As mentioned before, think about being able to walk up to a deli counter and say "I'll take 5 pounds of 9mm ball, please." That would be awesome.

BeerSleeper
May 25, 2012, 09:06 AM
I like the CCI 22LR boxes. I like them so much I put bullets from bulk packs in them. Most of my 22 firearms have ten round magazines, so, just like DoubleTapDrew has mentioned, you slide the lid the right length, flip the box over, and dump exactly your selected multiple of 5 right in your hand.

"Hating" bulk packaging sounds like a bit much hyperbole, but I will say volumetrically inefficient packaging annoys me. I reuse factory boxes for my reloads, and I like PMC boxes. They are very dense. I use 9mm boxes for .40 rounds. It takes a gentle push to get the rounds in, and they grip just tightly enough they are easily pulled out, but not rattling loosely. I wish I could find an ammo box like that for .45

Fishslayer
May 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
I like the CCI 22LR boxes. I like them so much I put bullets from bulk packs in them. Most of my 22 firearms have ten round magazines, so, just like DoubleTapDrew has mentioned, you slide the lid the right length, flip the box over, and dump exactly your selected multiple of 5 right in your hand.

I do the same thing. I label them with the brand. The wife's gun likes Golden, mine likes Federal.

ThePenguinKnight
May 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
One thing on the bulk ammo bin idea: would there be significant issue with the wrong ammo getting intermingled? Someone decided aganist a half pound of .380 and dumps it in the wrong bin, say into the 9mm bucket, or vice versa. Could cause issues. Otherwise, not a bad idea for cheap bulk ammo.

Warp
May 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
One thing on the bulk ammo bin idea: would there be significant issue with the wrong ammo getting intermingled? Someone decided aganist a half pound of .380 and dumps it in the wrong bin, say into the 9mm bucket, or vice versa. Could cause issues. Otherwise, not a bad idea for cheap bulk ammo.

You would not want customers freely handling the ammo.

I have to wonder how much of any potential savings is made up for in the extra manpower required to handle everything at the point of sale.

Not to mention that people want very much to know how many rounds they are getting.

holdencm9
May 25, 2012, 05:16 PM
Interesting that my little vent about over-packaged ammo has kind of evolved into some great ideas to revolutionize the way we think about buying ammunition!

I agree the bulk bin idea could have a hiccup with inter-mingling of similarly-sized ammo. If customers did handle the ammo directly it would have to be a 1-way operation, kind of like the cereal containers at continental breakfasts in hotels. They could open the container and let the ammo spill out into their bag, but most definitely NOT put ammo back in the hopper.

Warp
May 25, 2012, 05:19 PM
Interesting that my little vent about over-packaged ammo has kind of evolved into some great ideas to revolutionize the way we think about buying ammunition!

I agree the bulk bin idea could have a hiccup with inter-mingling of similarly-sized ammo. If customers did handle the ammo directly it would have to be a 1-way operation, kind of like the cereal containers at continental breakfasts in hotels. They could open the container and let the ammo spill out into their bag, but most definitely NOT put ammo back in the hopper.

Mix some rounds of .44 mag in with the rest of your less expensive ammo, weigh it all out as the less expensive...yeah.

I see nothing but problems with this.

Certaindeaf
May 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
^
Vending machines. For heaven's sake, they sell/vend Krugerands out of vending machines.

holdencm9
May 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
Mix some rounds of .44 mag in with the rest of your less expensive ammo, weigh it all out as the less expensive...yeah.

I see nothing but problems with this.

You can already cheat retailers by opening a box of blazer or UMC and replacing all the cheapo rounds with some high end defensive ammo of your choice. Heck if I wanted I could do that and get 30 rounds of practice ammo and 20 rounds of Cor Bon DPX for $11!

I think the odds of getting caught and being prosecuted for stealing would outweigh someone trying to steal a few rounds of .44 mag (which would stick out like a sore thumb). I think this idea is just kind of hypothetical and "what if?" and just for fun at this stage.

Warp
May 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
You can already cheat retailers by opening a box of blazer or UMC and replacing all the cheapo rounds with some high end defensive ammo of your choice. Heck if I wanted I could do that and get 30 rounds of practice ammo and 20 rounds of Cor Bon DPX for $11!

That is a lot more time consuming and obvious than pouring your rounds into a bag, I suspect.

I think the odds of getting caught and being prosecuted for stealing would outweigh someone trying to steal a few rounds of .44 mag (which would stick out like a sore thumb). I think this idea is just kind of hypothetical and "what if?" and just for fun at this stage.

Yet people shoplift all kind of stuff all the time. A lot of the time they don't get caught. The value of stolen merchandise in this country on an annual basis is staggering.

holdencm9
May 25, 2012, 11:07 PM
That is a lot more time consuming and obvious than pouring your rounds into a bag, I suspect.

Not really. Have you ever shopped at a brick and mortar store? The employees don't exactly hunt you down hoping to provide excellent service. It would take all of 30 seconds to find a quiet aisle and swap em out. Besides, NO ONE ever opens the box at checkout. I imagine a clear bag of loose rounds would be a lot easier for an employee to just sift through real fast and verify no .44's in the bag of 9mm's.

scythefwd
May 26, 2012, 02:09 AM
I re-use it for handloads.. I prefer it :) might have started off in use for plinking ammo, but its now holding match ammo.

EvilGenius
May 26, 2012, 09:51 AM
"Hating" bulk packaging sounds like a bit much hyperbole, but I will say volumetrically inefficient packaging annoys me. I reuse factory boxes for my reloads, and I like PMC boxes. They are very dense. I use 9mm boxes for .40 rounds. It takes a gentle push to get the rounds in, and they grip just tightly enough they are easily pulled out, but not rattling loosely. I wish I could find an ammo box like that for .45

Have you tried using the .40 boxes?

Should be the same size difference.

HGUNHNTR
May 26, 2012, 02:33 PM
Not to mention that people want very much to know how many rounds they are getting.

A simple calculation would tell you exactly how many rounds you were getting. People are just used to buying ammo by the 50 ct., that paradigm could be shifted toward buying it by the pound or kilogram. It would be great to have an ammo vending machine. I'd love to see a vending machine for firearms. Just scan your passport and receive your G17. Paperwork is automatically filed. This works well in my own utopia, and will be my first order of business when I can afford to purchase my own small country. Of course you're all invited. :D

EvilGenius
May 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
A simple calculation would tell you exactly how many rounds you were getting. People are just used to buying ammo by the 50 ct., that paradigm could be shifted toward buying it by the pound or kilogram. It would be great to have an ammo vending machine. I'd love to see a vending machine for firearms. Just scan your passport and receive your G17. Paperwork is automatically filed. This works well in my own utopia, and will be my first order of business when I can afford to purchase my own small country. Of course you're all invited. :D
I would think that might make each firearms purchase less special though.

I like to think of each one like recieving a sword or finely crafted tool that either has lots of history in which you get to contribute to clean slate that you get to carve yourself.

HGUNHNTR
May 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
^The special part is shooting it, the painful part is purchasing. Spending less time buying and more time shooting sounds ok with me.

lcambre
May 27, 2012, 08:01 AM
I am mostly a reloader and also shoot .40 S&W for IPSC limited. My complaint is that all of the plastic ammo boxes for reloads are sized for .45 diameter. I wish someone would make one just for .40/10mm.

wanderinwalker
May 27, 2012, 08:39 AM
I will second this! A few weeks ago I found a couple of Buffalo Bore boxes in the trash can at the local range. Curiousity peaked (this were HUGE boxes) I picked one up to read. .500 S&W? .454 Casull? .45-70 Hardcast? Nope, none of the above. .380 ACP! :eek:

intercooler
May 27, 2012, 08:47 AM
Buffalo Bore has to give you something for your $30. Twenty pieces of ammo doesn't do it LOL

22-rimfire
May 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
I prefer my ammo to be packaged the old way, in a cardboard/paper box with dividers for centerfire and tightly packed in 50-ct boxes for regular rimfire. The higher grade target ammo should be packaged slightly better to protect each round. The packaging is part of the marketing approach to their brand.

I can't say if this is more or less expensive. But I suspect it is less expensive than oversized boxes with plastic or styrofoam inserts to hold each cartridge. I am not the "greenist" person in the world, but I dislike filling our landfills with gallon jugs and styrofoam containers. I recall when McDonalds went from a styrofoam box for their sandwiches back to the wax coated paper which I entirely supported.

rromeo
May 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
It mostly bothers me because the different sized boxes are awkward to stack on my shelves.

DavidMS
May 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
The best package ammo that I have seen was Russian 7.62x54R in paper wrappers. The worst, was 9mm blazer. It was in cardboard boxes and the individual cartridges were in a Styrofoam carrier. It was over packed.

I hope that more ammunition comes with less packaging which means its cheaper to transport and as a result costs less.

Flopsweat
May 29, 2012, 02:37 AM
But will the vending machine let me fondle the gun first and tell me how awesome it is, and how its cousin the soda machine has the exact same one and loves it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else hate non-efficient ammo packaging?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!