What's the dumbest thing you ever did with a gun ?

PDA

Jim, West PA
May 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
When i was kid, 'round 8 er 10.
Some one in our group o' 5 er so freinds come up with a starter pistol.
WElll, someone had the bright idea, probably me, to dril it out and make a 'real' gun out of it.
So, we got us a drill, drilled out the Bbl and confidently loaded er up with 5 .22 LR's
After one of us worked up the nerve to try it out, it did not go off.
Soooo, of course confidence levels soared. Mmm..or was it stupidity soared :confused: lol
Anywho, we carried that thing around for weeks takin turns jist walkin around pullin the trigger. We aimed that thing at everything, and everyone we encountered and jist a kept pullin that trigger.
( Who payed attention to a kid with a 'toy' gun in the early sixties? )
One night, a big ole bread truck drove by and of course it imediately became a target of opportunity.
Can't recall who had in thier posession at the time but i recall that on the 2nd trigger pull that thing finaly went off.
Or should i say, it finaly exploded :what:
Luckily it did explode into a jillion pieces and none of them, or the bullet hit that truck or the driver sittin in the open door.
The driver , nor anyone else was the wiser.
'magine somethin like that in today's world. :eek:
I did pay big time for it tho in the long run.
My best buddy, my dog that grew up with me was hit and killed later that night by a car whle chasin a rabbit 'cross that very same road.:(

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the dumbest thing you ever did with a gun ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rail Driver
May 24, 2012, 06:53 PM
When I was a kid (around 12yrs old) me and my best friend found a pellet rifle in my garage that the stock had broken off, and we proceeded to learn that not only did it still function, but it was DARN accurate - Plenty accurate enough to put out every single back porch light that was visible from the roof of my garage, not to mention several screen door windows.

The whoopin I got wasn't even a little bad compared to how I felt as I went around the neighborhood handing out replacement lightbulbs, nor was it as bad as handing over the proceeds from selling my brand new bicycle and original NES with 30 games in order to replace the neighbor's screen door glass.

searcher451
May 24, 2012, 07:27 PM
I've sold a couple through the years and have found that I've kicked myself hard for doing that -- even with the guns I thought I could do without.

Skribs
May 24, 2012, 07:34 PM
This wasn't me, it was my friend. This is the friend we paid $25 to use tobasco sauce as an eyedrop. And who, on a whim (not even a dare, it was his idea) to see what the stuff inside canned air feels like (when you turn it upside down and spray the cold stuff), sprayed his tongue. Not the back of the hand like your usual moron, mind you, but his tongue. He was a special class of special.

Anyway, to the gun story. He was out in my back yard with my BB gun, shooting at cans where we'd set up a shooting gallery with my old headboard. He sees up on the deck (right next to the window) a can of what looks like an aerosol can. What happens when you shoot those in video games? They blow up! What do teenagers like to do? Blow stuff up! So he takes aim, and fires. Luckily, he missed the window, and actually hit the can. Unfortunately, it wasn't an aerosol can...it was a can of caulking, which was now all over our outside wall.

Carolina Kalash
May 24, 2012, 07:36 PM
almost busted my eye open the first time i shot a muzzle loader.

i figured, hey, it's black powder, it's not that powerful... scope didn't break the skin on my eyebrow but it left a bruise...

StrutStopper
May 24, 2012, 07:52 PM
One of the stupidist things I have done was with my ML. I was on the rifle range at our club and was reloading when someone came by to ask questions about the club because he was thinking about joining. We had a nice little conversation and he went on his way. I had just changed to a heavier bullet and expected a slightly bigger kick. I took aim and BOOM! I expected a little kick but that was ridiculous. I caught a serious case of scope-eye. Anyway, I was getting ready to reload again when I realized my ram rod was nowhere to be found... I expect little pieces of it are still scattered around that range. Lesson learned. DONT be destracted while loading your ML!

EddieG54
May 24, 2012, 08:11 PM
Borrowed my dad's old Browning humpback 20 ga. to sneak out on a dove hunt with my buddies. After getting a limit and standing around the tailgate admiring our good luck I decided to get home quick. After about 3 miles down a gravel road I remembered where I had left his shotgun. That old Browning wasn't the only thing that had a case of road rash for a few weeks. Dad is 81 now and still will not let me near that shotgun.

HGUNHNTR
May 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
As an 11 year old I shot a blackbird off of a powerline with an sks. Severed the line and killed the bird. :o

Lex Luthier
May 24, 2012, 08:55 PM
Someone I know quite well was shooting at the range her second or third time. She made a perfect shot to the connector bracket holding the paper target frame to the send/ return cable. Her zombie target and the metal frame hit the floor, the cable lost tension and unwound in slomo, and everybody had a good laugh.

Personally speaking, my stupidest trick was trying to cc my new Sig 2022 in the small of my back (for the first time) at a convention and being completely uncomfortable.

Texan Scott
May 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
+1 for 'sold one'.

I think highly of parents (and grandparents) teaching their children to shoot; I think part of the reason for that is to encourage not only skill with but respect for the gun. I think most of the posters in these forums are mature and responsible enough to look back and wish their parents (and the neighbor kid's parents) had taken more trouble to teach them the difference early on. Mine didn't, and despite that, as well as being allowed to play with power tools, riding in the cargo end of station wagons as a toddler, riding bikes wth no helmet, etc., I lived to adulthood (by the grace of God and sheer dumb luck). Our kids deserve better.
Both of my kids were made to see an animal shot before being allowed to shoot. I am aware some people will consider this 'abuse' of some sort, espec. the type that don't want children to learn to shoot anyway; but MY kids have made it into their teens without mishap in part because they know what bullet wounds look like - pain, blood, noise, and the certain knowledge that the damage cannot be undone and that death is violent, final, but not always quick. There is a huge difference between stupid fear of guns and fear of stupidity with guns.

Powerglide
May 24, 2012, 08:59 PM
Dumb well, yip, I shot a hole in my 86 Jeep Commanche floorboard.I just pulled the trigger.Why? Hell I don't know! Stupid!
22 long rifle Marlin.

jon_in_wv
May 24, 2012, 09:01 PM
Before going to the range one day I pulled out my PJK-9HP with the thought that I hadn't shot it for a while. I was trying to decide if I should take it with me and I racked the slide and pulled the trigger. BOOOOM. OH yeah, I had a loaded mag in it. Smart. Luckily I shot the interior of my safe and not my new water heater right next to it. I even managed to miss hitting any of my other weapons. At least stupid didn't hurt this time.

MrDig
May 24, 2012, 09:02 PM
Count me in on "Sold One" I have sold one too many and regretted doing so every time. Most notably a 1991A1 and a FM90 Argentine HP. of the ones I have sold those two still bug me.

Powerglide
May 24, 2012, 09:10 PM
I don't eeven want to get into what I've sold that I wish I hadn't.That would ruin my day.
Can you says Colts!

Rampant_Colt
May 24, 2012, 09:10 PM
As an 11yr old kid learning to trapshoot, I unknowingly had my finger pressed down on the trigger of a Winchester Model 12, and when I chambered a shell, it discharged a big, smoking hole into the grass about 3' in front of me. Fortunately I was standing at station 5, and nobody was hurt, and the other shooters were pretty cool about my mistake.

I, too, regret trading my 1991A1.. :banghead:

Larry Ashcraft
May 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
Took a shot at a coyote in my field, without noticing it was walking in front of my neighbor's irrigation pipe, which was in use at the time. :o

Geyser!

He shut the pump off, and I repaired the pipe, and everyone was happy. I have great neighbors, who also think I'm a wizard with PVC. This was at least ten years ago, and the pipe is still in use. Ten inch gated pipe, if it matters.

jbr
May 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
10 yrs. old, "Playing" with my dads Marlin 30-30 - just loved racking that lever gun - till my finger caught the trigger and put one thru the door jam and the side of the house. Thank god no one got hurt--by the bullet. I can't exactly say no one got hurt. I couldn't sit right for a week!

CountryUgly
May 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
I'm not going into details but it did involve and old single shot 12ga and a .50 BMG round.

tlatoani
May 24, 2012, 10:55 PM
I have a nice scar above my eyebrow. My first time trying to shoot my .308 prone and I didn't have it securely against my shoulder. oops. I didn't even realize it until i tasted the blood dripping down my face.

easy
May 25, 2012, 12:20 AM
Sold a Baby Eagle once...stupid.

Warp
May 25, 2012, 12:28 AM
Nothing major here. I did manage to fire a 9x19 round in a .40 gun without realizing. That case sure did balloon.

exavid
May 25, 2012, 12:39 AM
So far so good but I still have a few years to go so I might do something real dumb yet. I was pretty careful with firearms in my childhood I just hope I keep my wits in my geezerhood.

forindooruseonly
May 25, 2012, 12:55 AM
I loaned a gun to a friend who shot himself with it...

It's something I still think about a lot.

ljnowell
May 25, 2012, 12:58 AM
I loaned a gun to a friend who shot himself with it...

It's something I still think about a lot.

Dont let it weigh on you friend. I have posted about it here, but i helped my best friend get into handguns, helped him get his first one, and taught him to reload. We were shooting buddies for a long time, friends since jr high. He took his life with that gun. It put me in a two year funk, no joke. It was like losing my best friend, brother, all of it in one. I now have the pistol he used, the police released it to his parents and they gave it to me. I shoot it every so often, just to feel close to him again. I miss him a lot to this, day, no I love him still, its all I have to keep a memory.

Get out and shoot, and remember your friend didnt do it to hurt you, dont let it.

garyhan
May 25, 2012, 01:33 AM
Fired a three shot group through my .25-06 '03 Springfield. When the group was over three inches in measurement, plus six inches low: I took a close look at my gear and gound I had just fired three rounds of .260 Rem. through my .25-06. .264 bullets down a .257 barrel. It makes one think.

gary

dev_null
May 25, 2012, 01:39 AM
Not a gun story, but almost...

Young and dumb(er): Took a .22 cal blank (for Hilti nail drivers and such) and put it in a hole in a piece of metal machinery, and hit the primer end with a Phillips screwdriver and a hammer. Either a piece of the case or the escaping gas ripped a gash in my forearm that took 6-8 stitches and a lot of paperwork (this being on the jobsite) to get over.

Lesson learned.

MyGreenGuns
May 25, 2012, 01:49 AM
This wasnt me but I've been waiting for a place to tell this story.

Shortly after I took my first handgun training course, I was at an older friend's house/office. He ("M") was retired LEO who now ran an armed security company.

I was there with my girlfriend, she was sitting in the middle of couch, I was on the end further from the door. "M" was in the recliner opposite the couch.

A knock on the door yeilded a new guy to the security company. The employees supply their own weapons. New guy was straight from the gunstore, he had just purchased his first, and was coming over to make sure the boss liked it.

He sets a small box on the table, opens it, and clears away the paperwork. Clearly this was a brand new gun. "M" peered at it across the table and said that it would work. They started talking holsters.

My girl was looking at it so "new guy" asked if she wanted to handle it. (She had never touched a gun in her life.) She said she did and he handed it to her. She was doing Charlies Angels poses and "pew pew" shooting at the pictures on the walls.

"Hey babe, can I see that for a second?"

She handed it to me, I dropped the mag: full of hollowpoints. Rack the slide and a round fell into my lap.

"M" and I exclaimed, "YOU LOADED IT?!"

"M" held out his hand, I gave him the locked-open gun.

"M" said, "Guess who just signed up for every safety course I can find? (looooong silent pause) I'm going to hang on to this, I'll see you Monday."

YankeeFlyr
May 25, 2012, 01:53 AM
Dumbest?

I once pointed the M1 at my wife's cat after it puked on the hardwood floor.

Only did THAT once.

Texan Scott
May 25, 2012, 03:54 AM
LMAO... did your wife yank a knot in your barrel?

You realize, of course, you'd have messed up the floor a LOT more by shooting a cat with an M1 on it?

Ignition Override
May 25, 2012, 04:06 AM
First regret: I mostly ignored the existence of guns until I was 52 (in '07).
So many good milsurp and ammo deals were missed over the decades, but ammo might not have been stockpiled, even at those much better prices.
Still kicking myself.......

Second regret: Maybe selling the new Auto-Ord. M-1 Carbine was not a good idea, after the free factory repair. I was irked and very dismayed that a brand-new gun (my first purchase) could have a jammed bolt after only 150 rds. or so.

iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns
May 25, 2012, 05:52 AM
the absolute DUMBEST thing I've ever done with a gun:

A NEGLIGENT discharge, while lowering the hammer on a revolver, during my first year of ownership many years back. Fortunately I always obey the rule that if a gun is in my hand it is always pointed in the safest direction possible.
Shooting is my favorite sport and guns are my hobby. I can't believe I was that careless, but am so grateful that no one was injured or killed due to my stupidity. I'll never forget it.

TenDriver
May 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
At age 10 (1986) I loaned my brand new BB gun to buddy, and he went with a neighbor kid and shot out every piece of glass in a dump truck on an adjacent lot. I was there as well. I didn't take a shot at the truck knowing how wrong it was, but didn't make an effort to stop it either.

A couple of days later I was paying the price for that one. Mom was reading my 7 or 8 riot acts at the same time. I told her I didn't shoot. He reply? "Doesn't matter. You were there laughing and encouraging". More damage happened after I left apparently.

I had saved about $200 for a Marlin camp gun to deer hunt with (I know, not enough gun. I was 10 however). My parents were fine with me saving up my own allowance for a rifle. That night when my dad came home he asked me where my money was, I told him, and he promptly confiscated it. It went to repay my part of the damages. My allowance would be held until I paid the rest of my end.

Several months later my dad tells me he was pleased I didn't complain about having to give up my savings to repay the damages and the last $50 was on him. I never bought the rifle, but what I got from that money was way more valuable.

The worst part about the whole deal was at the time and in retrospect having my mom drive my to the work site and apologize to the owner. He had been having a tough time and didn't need that aggravation. He was very good about the whole deal, accepted my apology and wrote it off to stupid kid tricks.

Skribs
May 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
Nothing major here. I did manage to fire a 9x19 round in a .40 gun without realizing. That case sure did balloon.

Would you say the case was *puts on sunglasses* warped?

TITAN308
May 25, 2012, 03:38 PM
See sig link.

(har har I can take jabs at myself like the best of them)

Warp
May 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
Would you say the case was *puts on sunglasses* warped?

I'd say it was warped to the 9nth degree.

Chemistry Guy
May 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
I have shot .22s many times without hearing protection and the noise didn't bother me. Not thinking about the effects of a confined space I fired a .22 revolver into some phone books while in my basement. My ears were ringing for days.

dubya450
May 25, 2012, 04:05 PM
A buddy and I had been shooting one day and went back to his place afterwards to clean them up. When they were all oiled and clean I loaded my HP's back in my glock 29 because it was my carry piece at the time. About 15 minutes later an old friend (more of an acquaintance) that we hadn't seem for awhile stopped by and noticed my pistol on the end table and wanted to check it out. I unloaded the one in the tube and gave him the gun, with the loaded mag and before it clicked in my head what was about to happen the dummy racked the slide and pulled the trigger, BANG!! goes a 10mm hydraschock right past my head into the ceiling out the sheetrock into the bathroom where my friends girlfriend was at the time and out through the roof. After it went out the roof the bullet hit a metal vent on the outside of the house and finally stopped. I couldn't believe how many walls the bullet went through including the roof. It was about 4 or 5 layers of sheetrock and the roof/shingles. I've learned my lesson to always give someone and empty gun AND magazine and making sure the person isn't a complete moron. I guess I was a moron that day as well. A lucky moron.

Warp
May 25, 2012, 04:08 PM
Yup. That is why the rule states to hand them a gun with the action open and no magazine inserted. ;)

Single Action Six
May 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
Wasn't me. My older married brother was lying in bed one night playing with his new, recently acquired, "LOADED" Colt .357. He was pointing it at the ceiling fan going bang at one of the turning fan blades..... until one time he said bang and unconsciously pulled the trigger at the same time, which caused the gun to go "B A N G" for real!

He missed the fan blades but ended up with a hole in the ceiling drywall... plus one in the plywood roof. Needless to say, my sister-in-law wasn't too happy with him right at that moment... NOT because of the holes, but rather because she was woken up from a dead sleep. He still hasn't heard the last of it even today... and that happened years ago.

Single Action Six

Swichblade
May 25, 2012, 07:28 PM
I haven't done anything too stupid with guns. Once or twice I have accidentally let my muzzle move over something it shouldn't have been pointed at.

Last month I did something that could have turned out badly. I visited friends for the weekend, and I would always shoot at stuff with one of them. So we set a toy dinosaur (one of the older, dense plastic ones) on a fence post, put a .12 gauge a few inches underneath it, and shot the toy 40 feet into the air and 50 yards out. It is good the pellets didn't ricochet off or the toy explode.

Hanshi
May 25, 2012, 08:18 PM
Sold it!:banghead:

hemiram
May 26, 2012, 03:17 AM
Not my stupidity, but I was the victim..

I was staying over at my best friend's house when I was 12 and we were bored, so we got out his Crossman Powermaster BB gun and cleaned it up and he points it at me and says, as was popular back about 1969 or so, "Freeze punk!". I told him "Don't do that <removed>, it'll be my luck I get shot!". He laughed it off, and pulls the trigger. I grabbed my face, and he says, "Oh, don't be so dramatic!". Then he saw the blood. It hurt, a lot, and bled most of the night. We made up a story about me running into the dresser in his bedroom, and thought we got away with it, but it all got exposed when an Xray a year later showed the BB was still in my face, right under my nose, where it remains, close to 45 years later.

dab102999
May 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
Worse then sold it.gave it to my wife.now I not only can't shoot it I gotta look at it everytime I open the safe.

smalls
May 26, 2012, 04:33 AM
Had an old airsoft gun that had been dropped so many times it stopped firing. What I also didn't realize is that one pellet had been stuck inside the barrel. I was layin on the couch, just "shootin" things with it, and that pellet finally dislodged itself, and shot through one of my mother's antique vases. She almost believed the story that I tripped and knocked it over til she saw the mark on the wall from the bb bouncing off it.

Texan Scott
May 26, 2012, 04:39 AM
poor dab... i've lost good shirts and coffee mugs like that, too.

kingvillien
May 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
play russian roulette? come on, am i the only one? Just joking, but sold it.

wankerjake
May 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
When I was ~8 yrs old I was shooting oround the property with my pellet gun. I was getting sick of the same old targets and spied a white pvc pipe/water spigot sticking out of the ground over by the garden. I knew better than to shoot things like that but it was a longer shot than my normal range, and I thought "wonder if I can hit that pipe, I'll only try once..."

Turns out I could, it was a good shot too I might add. Much to my amazement a 20 ft geyser erupted where the spigot had been. Dad was not happy about that. I don't remember getting in much trouble though, I think it was one of those "you know what you did wrong, and I expect this to not happen again kind of things." It didn't happen again;)

Until years later of course, I think I was in like 8th grade I was out shooting magpies in the pasture. I popped over a berm and there were some ducks out quite a ways. Sometimes I just can't resist a challenge. I knew it was wrong, I did it anyway. I honestly didn't think I could hit it (even stupider reason to do it). I had to do a little kentucky windage and was really expecting them all to fly away... whap. I've always been a pretty decent shot. I carried that mallard back to the house in shame, and dad was pretty pissed about it. Mostly dissapointed I think. I was instructed to get my arse into the shop and pluck that bird before any of the neighbors saw me. Another lesson learned (the hard way) and I remember dad was boiling mad all the way up until the bird came out of the coals. We did it in the coals in aluminum foil with onions, apples, peppers... it turned out awesome. I didn't get to go shooting at all for quite awhile afterwards though.

JLDickmon
May 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
Sold it!:banghead:
Same here.. nickel plated Colt Diamondback.. I've never seen another one.

Crashbox
May 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
About the only thing I can immediately recall is a couple of years ago when I was at my reloading bench in the basement, cleaning my SIG SP2022 .40 CCW. I had just finished, loaded and inserted the magazine. I racked the slide whilst it was pointing at my water heater- not the smartest thing to do. Fortunately, nothing happened but it was an excellent reminder to be CONSTANTLY aware of what your muzzle is pointing at!

jim in Anchorage
May 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
I invented the hyper velocity .22, I just never perfected it. Maybe 15 years old, I pulled the bullet off a short and a LR and dumped the powder from the short into the LR case and pushed the short bullet on top.
Fired it in my Glenfield model 60. Sweet! Nice loud report. That worked, so lets try a LR bullet on a double charge. Pull the trigger, the world got confusing and my ears are ringing. When I came to my senses I was still holding the stock horizontal but the barrel was pointing at the ground. Cracked the stock almost in two.

mainecoon
May 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
Shooting with too much heavy clothing in the winter, the gun popped up and gave me a bloody eyebrow. Now I never wear bulky jackets when shooting.

csa77
May 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
when I was about 20 I shot my fathers IH m1 garand using some ammo I bought from the range...220 grain federal.

the very first shot blew the gas cylinder and plug clean off the rifle and bent the op rod.
the barrel threads look fine but the gas cylinder lock threads are completely stripped. thankfully the receiver is fine I didnt see any signs of cracking at the heel. I need to take it to a gun smith who deals with just M1s and have it looked at and fixed. for the last 10 years Iv had it just sitting in a hard case

mje
May 26, 2012, 08:12 PM
I've had my share of ADs and realizing that oops, it IS loaded in my early days... But I'll always remember the first time around 30 years ago I took my M1 carbine to the range. I had my thumb wrapped around the stock, right in front of my nose, and when I pulled the trigger of course my thumb slammed into my nose.

A friend who was watching me said afterwards, "I could have warned you, I suppose, but I figured you'd learn better if I let you go ahead and shoot."

Second dumbest thing? Selling that M1.

dprice3844444
May 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
let my son to be ex wife handle it 3 feet away in a 3 foot hall and sghe missed.tis why she's the ex

paperpounder
May 26, 2012, 10:10 PM
After initially handing my wife a cleared and slide locked back gun to check out, I slapped the mag back in and unlocked the slidelock. THEN, I stupidly dropped the mag again and as an afterthought handed her the gun back to try the trigger. DUH, there was one in the pipe. I cautioned her to always pretend a gun is loaded and point it in a safe direction. YUP....BANG......DUMB.....DUMB......DUMB.

Serenity
May 26, 2012, 10:18 PM
Well to be fair that one's mostly on her for not checking a gun that was just handed to her ;)

paperpounder
May 26, 2012, 10:25 PM
Well to be fair that one's mostly on her for not checking a gun that was just handed to her ;)

I know.....But I'll eat this one and take the blame. On a scale of 1 to 10 regarding her experience, I'll put it at 2 1/2. I learned a big-time lesson, but I did preach muzzle discipline right to the last so that was good.

Barr
May 26, 2012, 11:00 PM
Not having a powder cop die for my reloads on a Lee progressive press. Wife fired her snub nose .38 one day and the gun had a louder report than usual. The cylinder chamber was swelled by 0.002". Cost me a $150 and a one way trip to Smith and Wesson to fit a fine 1972 nickel Model 36 with a new cylinder.

Turns out the case still had some tumbling media left in the case that I was not aware of. Sold the 3-station Lee progressive, bought a 5-station Hornady LNL AP, and a powder cop die. Have caught a handful of others since then. Always check your powder levels!

lobo9er
May 26, 2012, 11:02 PM
let my son to be ex wife handle it 3 feet away in a 3 foot hall and sghe missed.tis why she's the ex
did your ex wife try to shoot you?

floorit76
May 26, 2012, 11:02 PM
About half way into the year 2000 a bunch of odd guns showed up in a local newspaper for sale. They were all underpriced, and I was sure it was some kind of scam. After about the 3rd week I finaily broke down and called the guy about the Thompson he had about $400 on. The guy says he just sold it. Said that they bought them for Y2k, and when the world didn't end the wife said they had to go. If I'd have called when I first saw the add, I would own a Thompson today.

FROGO207
May 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
I once sold a pistol.:banghead: It was a brand new AMT 44 MAG Automag that had been shot by me only 40 times. I did not reload then and wanted something I could shoot without having to pay someone else to reload for it first.:o

Robbins290
May 27, 2012, 06:55 AM
Bought a stoeger coach gun in a hurry one day. Thought it was a 20 gauge. Grabbed 16 gauge ammo, on accident. Found out 16 gauge slides down the chamber of a 12 gauge. The papaer work from the dealer (cabelas) said 20 gauge on it. But it was a 12 gauge

Sgt_R
May 27, 2012, 08:03 AM
What's the dumbest thing you ever did with a gun?

I may have been dumb enough to do it, but that doesn't mean I'm dumb enough to post about it. ;)

R

drsfmd
May 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
Worst I ever did was to fire 22LR out of a 22WRF when I was a kid. Bore was too tight and the bullet got stuck.

Gun Geezer
May 27, 2012, 09:36 AM
Well, the family and I were in Dallas going to Six Flags the next day. Arrived at a hotel. Parked out in the parking lot. Not up very close.

We unloaded the car, carried all the stuff inside, checked in etc.

About a 1/2 hour later, we went down to the car to go eat. There on the roof was my 38 Special in its gun rug. Loaded! I had taken it out of the car and set it up there for anyone to take or some kid to kill himself with.:banghead:

I got distracted help one of the kiddos with something. Does not matter.
Most stupid thing I have ever done.

jad0110
May 27, 2012, 10:59 AM
I've sold a couple through the years and have found that I've kicked myself hard for doing that -- even with the guns I thought I could do without.

That's pretty much been the dumbest stuff I've done with guns (or not jumping on a raging deal) up until last month.

I was out shooting on some land a friend owns, as usual. I was mainly out testing my 1911A1 .45 ACP after replacing the mainspring. I decided to take a shot at a steel plate that was about 20 yards away. I thought I was standing at an angle to it, but realized later that with all the pock marks in that plate, there was no safe angle.

I could actually see the 230 grain lead ball round coming directly back at me. I remember thinking "what the ...". I realized what it was when it was probably 2 feet from my forehead. It smacked me 2" above my left eye. I was wearing eye protection, as usual. It didn't hurt too bad, I estimate it was moving at about 50 to 80 fps. It was in the air for quite a while. Made a nice bloody mess though.

My friend has since taken it down. Lesson learned.

Jim, West PA
May 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
These are really some great stories and some great lessons for the rest of us to learn from.
Hope a lot more get posted.
Thanks Everyone.

I've got another one but have to recall all the details before i post it.
Involves a shot up Corvair and bloody screen door.
:uhoh:

mikefor
May 29, 2012, 01:16 AM
Unfortunately I have a couple.
when i was a kid, i found out that my mothers sewing pins fit perfectly in the barrel of my pellet gun..... those things screamed out of that barrel and lots of pigeons died that day. fortunately mom was not mad because the pigeons were crapping on everything and she didnt know about me using her sewing pins.

next when i was 18 i purchased my first real gun a savage .22 that i still own. my friends and i decided to have the bright idea of trying to shoot .22 bullets off of the ground. next thing we hear is boom from the gun then an unmistakable buzz went past both of us.

when I was 24 in the navy as a corpsman, the security department invited he out to shoot guns with them. up till this point i had only fired semi auto weapons. the guy hands me an m16 and lets me know that we are instructed to dispose of the old (very old) ammunition to make room for the new stuff. Believing that there were only 3 round burst in their inventory the guy tells me to flick the safety all the way over and let her rip. well I pulled the trigger and the bullets hit the target and i froze
and didnt think "pull your finger off the trigger dumb a$$"
I almost fell on my butt till the mag finally emptied.
needless they were laughing there butts off and told me that it was obvious i needed more trigger time and handed me 2,000 rounds and 4 rifles to use. turned out to be a good good day but my arm hurt like hell the next day

Deanimator
May 29, 2012, 06:43 AM
I sold my Colt Official Police.

After all, who in 1984 thought that Colt would STOP making revolvers???

Doh!!!

mcdonl
May 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
Took a shot at a coyote in my field, without noticing it was walking in front of my neighbor's irrigation pipe, which was in use at the time. :o

Geyser!

He shut the pump off, and I repaired the pipe, and everyone was happy. I have great neighbors, who also think I'm a wizard with PVC. This was at least ten years ago, and the pipe is still in use. Ten inch gated pipe, if it matters.

Larry, I have several dry hydrants that could use your attention :)

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
It was wintertime and I had my first BB gun.
I was standing about 4' from our house outside brick wall.
My hands were freezing as it was so cold out, one hand I had in my jacket pocket. With one hand, I shot the brick wall right in front of me and the BB ricocheted almost straight back and hit the end of my left thumb that was so cold it was ready to break off! That hurt really bad for a little while, looking back on it, though, I am fortunate the BB did not bounce back and hit me in the eye!

wdunlap
May 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
I let the hammer slip while trying to lower it on a .38 spl. Nice round hole above my mother's closet door. That was stupid, but so was cocking back the hammer in the first place.

Once also loaded a .40 cal magazine with .380 rounds. The boxes were sitting side by side on the range table. I was talking away and not paying attention. I got frustrated when the 14th cartridge kept popping out of the mag lips. Then I realized what a careless mistake I was making.

Certaindeaf
May 29, 2012, 01:58 PM
I had a beautiful model 600 Remington in .243.. a one holer. Dang, that was a good rifle.
I loaded up a bunch of 75 grainers using FFFG black powder. They worked pretty well and didn't damage the rifle of course (I cleaned it immediately after also) but I sometimes wonder what I was thinking.

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
when i was a kid, i found out that my mothers sewing pins fit perfectly in the barrel of my pellet gun..... those things screamed out of that barrel and lots of pigeons died that day. fortunately mom was not mad because the pigeons were crapping on everything and she didnt know about me using her sewing pins.

I still have fun with doing that with pellet guns, always fun to see what you can shoot out of them.

Jeremiah10:23
May 29, 2012, 03:56 PM

How did you manage that, a 9mm falls completely through my .40 Keltec? That was how I figured out my gun was not what I thought.

kcshooter
May 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
When I was about 11 or 12, a friend and I found some .22lr ammo. We lined them up on a fence post and shot at them with our BB guns, trying to make a big "bang" noise.

I hit mine first. It made the bang noise but I was so focused on the pain above my left eye that I barely noticed it. The case had come back at me, and smacked me right above my left eyebrow.

The worst part was having to explain what I had done, because, (after the fact of course), I realized what a incredibly bad idea it was.

I was always more lucky than smart as a kid.

westy39
May 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
I failed to purchase my first duty weapon, a S&W 686 no dash, when the Department went to the Glock 20 in the mid 1990's. I always regretted that, but at the time I just didn't have the funds available, house payments, kids, and car payments. Then about one year after I retired (about 16 years after letting my assigned S&W 686 go) I found another S&W 686 no dash that the widow of one of our Detectives was selling as he had passed away. That Detective was one of the best and he was just a good man, now when I go shoot I think about him. Life is good.
Westy39

gamestalker
May 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
When I was about 14 yrs. old I was hunting rabbits with my brother in law. The 22 pistol I was carrying slipped out of my hand and landed on the hammer and discharged. It landed with the barrel pointing directly at my crotch. The bullet went through the crotch of my pants and then barely grazed my family jewels, ouch! I must have layed on the gorund for 20 minutes sweating and groaning in severe pain before I could get up.

Ever since that accident over 40 yrs. ago, I have beocme very attentitive to my grip, and never walk around with the pistol in my hand, but in the holster until it is needed.
GS

jmorris
May 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
Sold it.

Texan Scott
May 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
Gamestalker wins.

mattmann
May 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
I was about 12 years old. My father and i were deer hunting and i was using his 30-30. It had one in the chamber and the hammer half cocked. When we got on the four wheelers he was taking a leak in front of mine and I did what I always do and pulled the hammer all the way back then put my thumb (in a fleece glove) on the hammer and pulled the trigger. The rifle was between my legs on the seat pointed towards the front of the four wheeler and where my father was then there was a loud bang and my dad went immediately down. I was terrified but then he bounced back up. After I got a good chewing and the rifle tore from my hands we went silently back to the trucks. I will never again do something that dumb and always pay close attention to the muzzle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

old4x4
June 2, 2012, 03:50 AM
1). Driving full speed up a NY highway with a buddy of mine to his house (he was driving) and I was shooting my Ruger MK II at every road sign we passed. Must've fired 100 rounds. W T H were we thinking!? (we were in college at the time).

2) Shot 30-35 breeding Northern Pike with said Ruger and had a heII of a fish fry. Not legal to shoot fish in NY, but it was literally as easy as shooting fish in a barrel!

3) Same trip. He lived literally a mile from the Canadian border, and on the way home, we swung across the border to get a few cases of beer...with 2 handguns in the trunk! We got stopped on the NY side coming back in and they searched the trunk and found my (legal) guns, but commented that we should've been thankful the RCMP didn't catch us. Never thought of that, they were in the trunk with all of our crap. Stupid

It was fun weekend, tho!:rolleyes:

rugerdude
June 2, 2012, 12:09 PM
Fired my M107 (Barrett fifty cal) without ear protection during a firefight.

Auditory exclusion only goes so far friends.

JShirley
June 2, 2012, 03:19 PM
These threads pop up occasionally. And they always make us look bad.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the dumbest thing you ever did with a gun ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!