Two things about Glocks.

PDA

el Godfather
May 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
Dear THR,
What are two things about Glocks that you like and what are two things that you do not like about Glocks?

Two things that I like about Glocks:
1. They are available in all popular calibers.
2. Their reliability is second to none.

Two things that I do not like about Glocks:
1. Ergonomics: Their thick and blocky profile.
2. I seriously can not think of second reason other than what some complain about, which is lack of safety while carrying one in the chamber. I have carried it with live round for a long time with confidence, but I do understand some people's hesitation. In fact, I much rather prefer a pistol with decocker like usp or sig when carrying a live round.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Two things about Glocks." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beeenbag
May 24, 2012, 08:06 PM
pros

1. They are very simple.

2. They are tough as nails

cons

1. They are imported

2. Polygonal rifling

Of course these are my personal pros and cons. YMMV

dubya450
May 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
Pros
1) cheap
2) very reliable

Cons
1) the big bulge in the back strap - ergos
2)

meanmrmustard
May 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
Pros:
1. Parts availability
2. Rugged finish and reliability (2 part really)

Cons:
1. Somewhat uncomfortable, unless you have fingers like E.T.
2. Stock sights suck, and benefit really from aftermarket.

I like the compact models, all the rest can suck eggs.

Swing
May 24, 2012, 08:50 PM
Pros.
1.) Never, ever found a more reliable auto.
2.) Very affordable.

Cons.
1.) Uglier than sin.
2.) Grip may feel "weird" if you've spent most of your time on other autos.

FullEffect1911
May 24, 2012, 08:54 PM
Pros:
1: Reliability
2: Durability
This list can go on and on for me. I haven't found a handgun with a longer list of positive qualities than a Glock.

Cons:
1: The trigger guard gives me Glock Knuckle after a while.
2: A relatively thin breech face.

Warp
May 24, 2012, 09:13 PM
Dear THR,
What are two things about Glocks that you like and what are two things that you do not like about Glocks?

Two things that I like about Glocks:
1. They are available in all popular calibers.
2. Their reliability is second to none.

Two things that I do not like about Glocks:
1. Ergonomics: Their thick and blocky profile.
2. I seriously can not think of second reason other than what some complain about, which is lack of safety while carrying one in the chamber. I have carried it with live round for a long time with confidence, but I do understand some people's hesitation. In fact, I much rather prefer a pistol with decocker like usp or sig when carrying a live round.

Thanks

Only two things? Okay...

Like:
1. Reliability.
2. Durability.

Dislike:
1. No single stack 9 in the lineup (not that the ATF would let it in anyway...grumblelll)
2. They flubbed some of the models. (30SF, 36, 4th gen 9x19)

Wanderling
May 24, 2012, 09:27 PM
It's hard to pick just two.

+: Simplicity. Ease of use for a complete novice, both in shooting and in maintaining the gun. Reliability. Light weight. Respectable accuracy. Reasonable cost. Good customer service. All of these are more or less equally important to me.

-: Grip could be more comfortable. No safety option (I installed an aftermarket one on mine). Plastic sights (although I do like them a lot, I am kind of concerned with snagging one). Use of reloads is verbotten by Glock (although many people still do).

Overall, I am happy with mine, and G26 is high on my list for the next purchase.

dogtown tom
May 24, 2012, 10:20 PM
Pros:
Reliability
Simplicity

Cons:
No factory .22 conversion
No Glock 26L

Warp 1. No single stack 9 in the lineup (not that the ATF would let it in anyway...grumblelll)
No single stack 9 is a Glock decision......ATF has nothing to do with it.
A 9mm single stack garners the exact same number of points as a double stack.

beeenbag ....1. They are imported
Some Glocks are "Made in the USA"

Skribs
May 24, 2012, 10:23 PM
Pros:
-Options, both factory and after-market. I don't think there's much other choices for new guns for 10mm, and they have a lot of options. They are also the cheapest way to get a .50 GI pistol (for both those calibers, 10mm and .50 GI, I intend to get Glocks down the road).
-Simple, you just point and shoot. No worrying about safety, no different pull on a DA/SA, just point and shoot, and it will shoot every time.

Cons:
-Trigger pull required for disassembly. This honestly was the dealbreaker to me over some other similar options when selecting my first pistol, I consider it a safety issue.
-Capacity. The Glock holds a lot, but in 9, .40, and .45 there are higher capacity options (at least, with flush magazines) from various manufacturers.

Glocks were the only option for something like them when they came out. Now they're amongst the crowd.

beatledog7
May 24, 2012, 11:33 PM
Pros:
- Lots of threads about them on gun forums
- Dead easy to use
Cons:
- Not a barbecue gun
- Lots of threads about them on gun forums

coolluke01
May 24, 2012, 11:34 PM
Pro

1. I shoot them better than anything
2. Grip angle. Perfection!

Cons

1. They aren't free
2. I always want more.

jfrey
May 24, 2012, 11:37 PM
Pros:
1. reliability
2. ruggedness

Cons:
1. sights (plastic sights don't cut it)
2. trigger (needs a refined design)

gunnutery
May 24, 2012, 11:43 PM
Pros:
1) Simplicity at it's best, no active safeties and decocks to worry about, plus 30-some parts = fewer things to break.
2) Reliablility

Cons:
1) As said before, ugly as sin, but I think they look better since the change to rails and finger groves. The first time I saw a gen 1 or 2 I turned up my nose right away just based on looks.
2) Stock sights.

JEB
May 24, 2012, 11:52 PM
pros:

1: super easy to work on
2: they always shoot well for me

cons:

1: polygonal rifling/loose chamber (as far as i am concerned, the FIRST thing a new glock needs is an aftermarket barrel with a tight chamber and conventional land/groove rifling)
2: glock bite. i always run my glock in competitions and have yet to walk away from one without bleeding. i have a nice chunk on scar tissue built up at the base of my right (strong) hand from being torn open so many times.

Nushif
May 24, 2012, 11:55 PM
Yay Glocks!

Pros:
Reliability!
Simplicity!

Cons:
Only one model has ever fit my hand.
While customizable, nobody seems to do any major surgery, for some reason.

gunnutery
May 24, 2012, 11:59 PM
glock bite. i always run my glock in competitions and have yet to walk away from one without bleeding. i have a nice chunk on scar tissue built up at the base of my right (strong) hand from being torn open so many times.

Has that led to any flinching?

Warp
May 25, 2012, 12:06 AM
2: glock bite. i always run my glock in competitions and have yet to walk away from one without bleeding. i have a nice chunk on scar tissue built up at the base of my right (strong) hand from being torn open so many times.

I can't help but wonder what you are doing wrong. I have many thousands of rounds downrange through 6 different Glock pistols that I have owned or possessed long term...all different models across 3 different calibers...and I have never once had blood drawn.

What is happening that you keep hurting yourself?

psyopspec
May 25, 2012, 12:39 AM
Pros:
1) The mid-size fits well/points naturally for me.
2) I can do all my own maintenance with parts that are inexpensive and readily available.

Cons:
1) Dislike the stock plastic sights - they break too easily.
2) Have to shift my grip to reach the mag release (fixed by going with an extended mag release).

Fishbed77
May 25, 2012, 12:48 AM
Pros
1) readily available
2) functional

Cons
1) horrible trigger feel
2) not as good as a Walther

skiking
May 25, 2012, 12:55 AM
Pros
1: Dead simple to use
2: Reliable

Cons
1: Grip too small, even the 20 & 21
2: Have to pull trigger to disassemble

C0untZer0
May 25, 2012, 01:02 AM
1) There are more aftermarket things for Glocks than any other handgun

2) They're modular so you can completely change your gun around, drop-in parts, and customize them without being a gunsmith

The bad:

1) The stock triggers are awfull

2) Stock sights are awfull

C0untZer0
May 25, 2012, 01:07 AM
You can get a 6" barrel for the G26 at MDW Guns:

http://www.mdwguns.com/IGB_Price_4.html

meanmrmustard
May 25, 2012, 07:30 AM
1) There are more aftermarket things for Glocks than any other handgun

2) They're modular so you can completely change your gun around, drop-in parts, and customize them without being a gunsmith

The bad:

1) The stock triggers are awfull

2) Stock sights are awfull
I take it you've not searched for 1911 after market goodies!

wildehond
May 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
2. Trigger. Works for me.

Dislikes:
1. finger groves.

ny32182
May 25, 2012, 10:16 AM
Pro: No way I can narrow it down to just two things. I love everything about them except my two cons below.

Cons: (all inclusive):

1) No full ambi controls. I'm a lefty.
2) "Glock bite". It was never a problem for me until I starting working on my forearm strength with CoC grippers to increase recoil control, and within a month I could not shoot the pistol without bleeding. My initial fix was spot bandaids like you put on a shaving cut or something. These stuck and worked great in the winter when I was not sweating. Come summer time I went to a flexible cloth tape wrap all the way around my palm, that would press my skin down just enough to prevent any issues. And honestly it was not super-desirable, but worked fine.

I was hoping they would address both with the Gen4 but unfortunately did not. They could address #2 with a backstrap on the Gen4 if they wanted to and I'm sure they will eventually, but the lack of a right side slide catch button drove me to an M&P for competitive purposes. Were it not for that, I would still be shooting the Glock.

otasan56
May 25, 2012, 10:23 AM
Pros:
Reliability
Accuracy

Cons:
No safety
No adjustable rear sight

C0untZer0
May 25, 2012, 11:20 AM
I take it you've not searched for 1911 after market goodies!

The Beagle backplate puts the Glock over the top:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165032&stc=1&d=1337955623

dogtown tom
May 25, 2012, 07:40 PM
otasan56
Cons:
No safety
No adjustable rear sight
FYI glock has both of these.....:D

dogtown tom
May 25, 2012, 07:42 PM
C0untZer0 ....The Beagle backplate puts the Glock over the top:
That is soooooo cool.:D

meanmrmustard
May 25, 2012, 07:46 PM
The Beagle backplate puts the Glock over the top:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165032&stc=1&d=1337955623
Damn, got me there!

Seriously though...no poodle?

otasan56
May 25, 2012, 07:46 PM

Glocks do not come with external, manually-operated safeties. And no Glocks are issued with fully adjustable rear sights.

meanmrmustard
May 25, 2012, 07:47 PM
Indeed. The trigger IS the safety.

Andrew Wyatt
May 25, 2012, 07:49 PM
1. they work
2. magazines are cheap

3. the sights are terrible
4. people expect you to have deep convictions about them and engage you in arguments over them when you just want at least one gun you don't have to futz with.

miles1
May 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
pros: 1. Reliable

2. Dependable

Cons: 1. Gen 4's not up to the the Gen 3's standards IMHO

2.Sights (Even a slight upgrade would be a huge improvement)

Robbins290
May 25, 2012, 08:10 PM
Cant think of any pro, but cons.

1-they are plastic
2-sriker fired

dogtown tom
May 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
otasan56... no Glocks are issued with fully adjustable rear sights.
The NIB 17L that I bought from RSR four months ago has adjustable sights.
The NIB Glock 34 that I transferred Monday night has adjustable sights....just like these: http://us.glock.com/products/model/g34

meanmrmustard
May 25, 2012, 08:39 PM
Cant think of any pro, but cons.

1-they are plastic
2-sriker fired
Striker fired pistols are rampant.
Polymer isn't plastic. Plastic melts. Polymer doesn't. It crystallizes, and has the possibility of further use well beyond the failure of even the stoutest plastic. Polymers recoill absorption capabilities, light weight, and resistance to deep scratches and marring make it noteworthy.

Pismopal
May 25, 2012, 08:55 PM
Glocks do not have a manually operated safety. Neither do revolvers and this is why you should not pull the trigger of a loaded weapon unintentionally. The Glock "safe action" design works well as designed but firearms require skilled operators in addition to engineering.

easyg
May 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
Pros:
1. Reliability
2. Ease of maintenance and DIY gunsmithing.

Cons:
1. Plastic sights.
2) A little thick in the grip.

Warp
May 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
Glocks do not come with external, manually-operated safeties. And no Glocks are issued with fully adjustable rear sights.

You didn't say "external, manually-operated" in your initial post. ;) You said no safety, when Glocks in fact have multiple safeties.

Remember that what is said/typed in these threads is for the benefit of far more people than regular posters and knowledgeable gun folks who will know what you mean. Lots of complete noobs hit the internet for information, and a lot of people who don't know any better may actually believe that a gun without a manual lever on the side doesn't have a safety, but that would be incorrect. Better to say exactly what you mean. ;)

85win
May 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
Two people mentioned polygonal rifling as a con.

Could anybody tell me what is wrong with polygonal rifling?

Robbins290
May 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
Meanmrmustard. My cons are just personal prefernce. I just dont like the "feel" of polymer pistols. And i just like the control of a hammer. (being able to decock and cock). And yes, i do own a glock.

jbkebert
May 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
Pro's
1. Simple
2. Reliable

Con's
1. Fanboys
2. Ergo's
3. Did I mention fanboy's

Tomcat47
May 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
Pros: Simple
Reliable

Cons: Ugly
Striker Fired

And you see the cons are personal preferences to say the least, the only striker fired pistols I have interest in are Springfield XD's

But without a doubt I would grab a glock to defend myself, my family, my country.....and trust that it would get the job done!

Have shot several owned by friends.....just not anywhere on my want list.

C0untZer0
May 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
I don't like the Glock sights, but my 17L did come with adjustable rear sights.

They're kind of distracting though, the way they're made they let a little light in on either side of the rear notch.

I'll get around to putting Dawsons on it eventually.

gym
May 25, 2012, 11:36 PM
They go bang all the time
they go bang all the time
They suck if you can't shoot
They won't make you a better shot if you suck

Nushif
May 26, 2012, 12:57 AM
They go bang all the time
they go bang all the time
They suck if you can't shoot
They won't make you a better shot if you suck

OMG. So true.

RBid
May 26, 2012, 01:25 AM
A never have been, and never will be a Glock owner's contribution:

Pros:
1. Reliability
2. Brand success

Cons:
1. Ergonomics
2. Aesthetics

Simply put, because of Glock, other makers are expected to maintain a very high standard for reliability. Everybody benefits from competition between brands, and Glock is a monster competitor. My beloved PPQ might not exist, without Glock.

CSC_Saint
May 26, 2012, 01:36 AM
pros: it's reliable as hell, great price(550 for Gen 4 23), it's lighter than my XD subcompact with 12 rounds(at least it feels lighter), the grip is shorter than most compact pistols so easier to conceal carry

cons:grip angle too much for what i'm used to so i reflexively aim high, cheapish sights, but for an extra fifty i could have gotten tritium sights so that's my own fault

tarosean
May 26, 2012, 01:56 AM
Pro's
1. easily resaleable
2. goes bang

Con's
1. fugly
2. trigger

Seriously you would think they could have made some major aesthetic changes within the last 30+ years other than finger grooves and checkering. I get that it works. I owned a G17, it went bang!!! Ultimately I couldn't stand to look at it it anymore. I own lots of handguns that not only look good they go bang just as reliable as the Glock did.

el Godfather
May 27, 2012, 07:20 AM
Interesting that no one has mentioned the case extraction angle.

kozak6
May 27, 2012, 07:57 AM
Like:
1) Legendary reliability
2) Simplicity of construction

Dislike:
1) Ugly as hell. Blocky slide, daylight between the slide and frame, everything. Yuck.
2) Bad ergonomics. The grip is too big and blocky for what it is, and the stupid hump makes it point too high. Despite this being one of the most frequent complaints about Glocks, it isn't even addressed on the interchangeable backstrap models.

meanmrmustard
May 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
Interesting that no one has mentioned the case extraction angle.
As long as it's flinging brass in my face, no prob.

Sapper771
May 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
Pro's
#1: Reliability- They are the most reliable pistol I have ever used.
#2: Ease of Use- They are simple to use, simple to field strip, and simple to fully disassemble. No need to ship it off to a smith for repair or upgrade. No roll pins to knock out when you want to give it a full rub down.

Con's
#1: Grip- It sucks. I would like a grip similar to the HKP30 or the Walther PPQ.
#2: Grip Angle- while I have trained enough with my Glocks that the grip angle is no longer an issue, I would enjoy them more if their grip angle was like the 1911 and BHP.

I have been shooting Glocks for the last 12 years. I have carried them for the last 6 years. I have many thousands of rounds through them (9mm mostly). I trust my life to them on a daily basis. They have always performed well for me, whether bone dry or filled with sand. I am sure they aren't the greatest, but they have earned my respect and faith.

boylit
May 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
2. shoots well enough in my untrained hands

dislikes:
1. rabid fanboys... not all glock owners are fanboys but there are a lot of them out there...
2. rabid fanboys who trash talk other pistols and evangelize to one's annoyance... again not everyone but there are a lot of them out there...

valnar
May 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
Cons:
Crap trigger
Crap sights
blocky design
grip angle
Ugly as sin

Honestly, other than the reliability (of which MANY guns are reliable), I don't see their appeal. Although to be fair:

Pros:
Takedown
accuracy
inexpensive mags
round capacity

SpodWo
May 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
Cons:
Poor grip - Glock knuckle.
No soul.

Pros:
Reliable.
Can be had for a reasonable price - used.

spotch
May 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
1. Reliable
2. Readily available in multiple calibers and so popular there are tons of people knowledgeable on them

Dislike
1. Ergonomics
2. I dunno... I guess it could be that they're fighting the super compact trend that everyone else is jumping on board with... It would be nice if they had a direct competitor for the shield/lc9-sized guns.

Jeremiah10:23
May 28, 2012, 12:21 PM
2. Polygonal rifling

beeenbag,
Why is this a con? (This is a sincere question I truly don't know.)

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
Pros
1. Extremely Durable
2. Extremely Reliable

Cons
1. Ergonomics don't work with me at all
2. Annoying fanboys.

beeenbag,

Can't shoot cast lead bullets through it without lead build up which can be dangerous.

Inebriated
May 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
Pros
1) Gen 4's are insanely comfortable in my hand.
2) Most reliable of any of my pistols.

Cons
1) I'd like them to sell for closer to $400 than $600.
2) Factory sights suck.

amd6547
May 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
Been shooting for 50 some years, and converted to the Glock system in the last three years...I own three: G26, G30, and G17.
Call me a fanboy, if it makes you happy. I don't care what pistol you prefer, and I won't insult your choice.
I like going from subcompact G26 to full sized G17 with exactly the same operating characteristics, and the ability to use G17 mags in the little G26.
I actually like the look of the Glocks...and they undoubtably have a recognizable look that bad guys recognize and respect.
The trigger works for me very well, and I am very accurate with them.
My "pro" list:
Light weight
Corrosion resistance
Grip angle works great for me, points like a finger
G26 is, without a doubt, one of the finest CCW's...ever.
Magazines plentiful, well designed, durable, and cheap.
All three of my Glocks are 100% reliable.

Cons?
Irrational hatred of Glocks and Glock owners, insulting names

mnhntr
May 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
2-available in lots of sizes and calibers

dislikes
1-striker fired
2-grip shape and size

Sapper771
May 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
I agree with amd6547's observation of the "Glock fanboy" name calling. That crap gets old. There are just as many 1911, XD/XDM, M&P, Cz,( etc ) fanboys as there are Glock ones. Can we not respect each others choices and unite against Fanboyism (LOL) in general?

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
I see fanboys as the one that think that their brand is the best one out of them all and openly preach it and don't stop even when they are proven wrong. I've found that the most annoying fanboys are Glock fanboys followed by HK fanboys.

Old judge creek
May 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
I like that their reliability has become legendary and I like how impervious to extremely harsh environments they are.

Of course, that they offer the G30sf (my choice) helps a lot, too :D

Inebriated
May 28, 2012, 07:00 PM
I see fanboys as the one that think that their brand is the best one out of them all and openly preach it and don't stop even when they are proven wrong. I've found that the most annoying fanboys are Glock fanboys followed by HK fanboys.

AR15 and Android fanboys will give Glock or HK fanboys a run for their money.

Warp
May 28, 2012, 07:04 PM
I've found the most annoying group is those who preach about fanboys.

Inebriated
May 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
I've found the most annoying group is those who preach about fanboys.

Those who preach against them aren't much better.

Warp
May 28, 2012, 07:31 PM
Those who preach against them aren't much better.

That's what I am referring to. Those who preach against fanboys. Thank you for the agreement. :)

beeenbag
May 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
beeenbag,
FIVETWOSEVEN already nailed it but I would like to add, I did come up with a load using cast lead bullets that didn't lead too bad, but once I finally achieved a non leading round it started slinging them everywhere. So in the end I still ended up with a conventional rifling pistol.

Inebriated
May 28, 2012, 10:44 PM
That's what I am referring to. Those who preach against fanboys. Thank you for the agreement.

I meant those preaching against those preaching against fanboys. Thank you for missing my point. :)

And I'm ending this before it get's catty, and we end up getting this thread closed lol.

Warp
May 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
I meant those preaching against those preaching against fanboys. Thank you for missing my point. :)

And I'm ending this before it get's catty, and we end up getting this thread closed lol.

That's what happens when you use unclear pronouns. ;)

I thought you might have meant that, but since no such person has presented themselves I wasn't sure. One sentence, posted on time, in direct response to something does not a preacher make. ;)

RonDeer10mm
May 28, 2012, 11:40 PM
2. Reliability

Dislikes
1. Discontinued OD green:( and Introduced FDE:barf:
2. They only make longslides for 9mm and .40 but not for 10mm or 357 sig etc.

TimboKhan
May 29, 2012, 01:14 AM

Huh. I kind of expect these types of threads to turn catty, because the fanboy/anti-fanboy/anti-anti-fanboy/fanboy of anti-fanboy thing almost always happens on Glock threads. Thats not High Road.

That, combined with the fact that the thread is just getting very redundant, are what is bringing this thread to a permanent close.

If you enjoyed reading about "Two things about Glocks." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!