do you pick up after yourself?

PDA

orienteeer
May 27, 2012, 10:14 PM
i shoot on my club's private range. on average, i pick up 2 pieces of paper, maybe 1 coffee cup or soda can w/.22 holes in it.

i go to my son's neighborhood, where there is sort of an unofficial range in a clearing in the woods off the road, & i can pick up destroyed appliances, wood pallettes, toilets(!), beer kegs, dozens of cans, 5 gallon buckets, & still have too much to fit in my car!

this is why so many communities hate guns in general & shooters in particular!

please, people! take home more than you bring to the range. police your ranges, private or public, & let the folks out there see we are responsible adults & not irresponsible yahoos!

thanks for listening to my rant.

If you enjoyed reading about "do you pick up after yourself?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
May 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
People that trash a range up drag us all down.

Caliper_RWVA
May 27, 2012, 10:36 PM
Seems most folks at my club are pretty good about keeping things clean. We are supposed to pull our targets down off the backers when leaving though and a lot of guys will leave them up.

Most of the clean up I do after other people is the brass they kindly leave for me! :D

beatledog7
May 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
I always leave a shoot with everything I brought except powder, bullets, and the few brass casings I can't find. It's beyond me why anyone would would haul garbage to a shooting spot (range, farm, desert, or anywhere), shoot it up, and leave it. Very bad form.

Redlg155
May 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
I used to be able to shoot at a clay pit about 2 minutes from my house. This worked great for testing weapons after repair or cleaning. Unfortunately people decided that it was a great place to dump refrigrators and even a boat. Eventually the landowners posted "no trespass" signs. Now its a 3rd degree felony to get caught shooting there.

mljdeckard
May 27, 2012, 11:07 PM
I started a thread about this. (Something like; If you are a litterer....stop.)

I am a recovered litterer. I used to go out with my dad and shoot stuff. I had the mentality, "We're out in the middle of the desert, WHO THE HECK CARES?!"

What I came to realize, is that those who would ban our activities don't make any such distinctions. There is no such thing as harmless litter. In addition to which, the BLM has actually gone as far as to track down owners of CRTs that were found in the desert and fine them for the cleanup costs.

langenc
May 27, 2012, 11:09 PM
We had (note tense) a 'pit range' near here. The Lions and Boy Scouts cleaned it up several times.

I drove by last week and it is clean, graded and all access roads loaded with large rocks. No more range.

Too many shooters are slobs!!

Rail Driver
May 27, 2012, 11:11 PM
The problem is that these public "neighborhood" or commonly known "shooting spots" don't just cater to conscientious shooters like most of us here on THR try our best to be - they cater to the uninformed and the uncaring shooters as well. They also appeal to the felonious gunners as well - at least those of them that are smart enough to not utilize monitored ranges such as regulated or indoor shooting ranges.

We're all aware that IN GENERAL - a law abiding shooter is going to have a bit more care for their environment and have the respect to make an effort to leave things as they found them - Someone without the respect to follow the laws is much less likely to have any respect for anything else including picking up the junk they just shot up or cleaning up their spent shells.

esheato
May 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
I always leave a shoot with everything I brought except powder, bullets, and the few brass casings I can't find

Same here.

I just moved to Socal a few weeks ago and shooting spots are hard to come by. Luckily there is one down the road about 20 minutes....and it's thoroughly trashed.

In fact, I talked to a LGS employee and he was the one who told me about it, "Yeah, if you see all the pallets around, that's me". :banghead:

Wonderful. :rolleyes:

doubleh
May 28, 2012, 09:08 AM
I shoot at a private range but there is always trash to pick up. I never leave anything I brought and always clean up some of what other people didn't bother to take home. Old TVs, boxes, wire spools, and shot to a frazzle plastic bottles and coke cans. That's not all but it gives you an idea.

It has been a little better this year after a big clean-up in the winter. Now that warm weather is here there will be more traffic and more trash. I consider it just getting some exercise. :rolleyes:

ball3006
May 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
My club requires you to police up after your shoot. If you don't want to or don't, you will be asked to go somewhere else to shoot.....good policy......chris3

wally
May 28, 2012, 09:14 AM
I pick up the occasional litter and left behind target at our club, but this in not that much of a problem. What irks me is the rules say you are supposed to repaint the plate rack when done and this rarely happens :(

DeadFlies
May 28, 2012, 09:24 AM
I sometimes go to a public range that is run by some kind of local sportsmans's club. It's free and unmonitored though it's closed on Tuesdays for the cops to use. It's a nice place; benches, designated parking spots, archery range...but no trash cans.

What I DID see are multiple piles of burned trash. Everything. Shotgun hulls, soda cans, blocks of wood, broken clay pigeons, paper targets, foam, plastic ...just everything. I actually saw this take place on morning. Aguy rolls up with a pickup truck, spends a few minutes gathering some trash laying around, throws it on an old burn pile, adds some lighter fluid and proceeds to "take out the trash".

This is no excuse for not picking up after one's self (indeed, if we would all clean up there would be no trash to burn) but still...really?

dragon813gt
May 28, 2012, 09:54 AM
The private ranges I go to are about 98% clean. People tend to leave their targets up which isn't allowed. But having to pull down paper targets is a lot better than picking up trash. The public range by has gotten a lot better since PA requires you to have a hunting license or dedicated range pass. It keeps a lot of trash(multiple meanings) away from the range so they stay cleaner.

I don't understand how people can leave trash "anywhere." Clean up after yourself. The one range I belong to might be changing their brass policy. As in you can only leave brass lie. Reloaders like me will gladly pick it up. If it's steel or aluminum you will have to pick it up as it's trash that no one wants. There has been an abundance of steel cases lately that are just piled up at the stands. They haven't been sweeping them back like they're supposed to. I hope they change the
policy because it really is trash they are letting lie on the ground.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Walkalong
May 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Yes I do, and sometimes others trash as well. Slobs make us all look bad. How the non shooting public sees us is important.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
As others stated, yes I do, and even other people's trash they don't clean up and it ends up blowing all over the place. Last year, one day I got a whole truck load of all manner of wood, sticks, old weathered targets, a lot of corrugated cardboard and who knows how many aluminum and steel casings and shotshell hulls that I don't even reload!:cuss:

I went with the idea of shooting and, instead, spent over an hour cleaning up all kinds of junk. Fortunately, I have a good place at home where I keep a pile of such things to burn every so often, so at least the junk got a good home for a month or so.

Gtimothy
May 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
After a shoot at the range I belong to, I police my brass, remove my target from the frame and lay the frame on the ground. On my way back to the firing line, I'll pick up some of the shot gun wads that litter out to about 10 yards and toss em into the trash. I don't see many others doing it but I try and do more than what needs done just to keep the place clean

I'll also grab some of the veggies off the trailer (free for the taking) before I head home!:D

Furncliff
May 28, 2012, 11:14 AM
The little slice of BLM land near my place sees a lot of Hunting pressure in the fall. Generally I don't see anyone there when I go to target shoot (about once a week). I've got the road into the area cleaned up and most of the camp sites as well. But I'm always finding new areas of trash. I haven't been able to get the giant couch into my pick-up yet, I'll need some help with that.

Bmont2409
May 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
I spend winters in Arizona and frequently go shooting in the desert. We would go to a place near Florence,Az. and always picked up our stuff after shooting, but it amazed me the trash that people left behind. Washing machines, tv's tons of broken glass and propane tanks. It is BLM land and they have been shutting down a lot of the so called shooting areas because of people leaving tons of trash in these areas. At the Florence area there are a couple of locals that shoot there a lot that clean up after these slobs and burn or haul stuff away. The folks that use these places and leave crap like that will get all the places that people go to shoot shut down if something isn't done. We also went to a place near 4 Peaks recreational area and there was so much trash from shooters that the area needed a small bulldozer to clean it up.:mad:

RBid
May 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
I hope that this thread changes at least one person's behavior for the better.

Thank you, OP.

parsimonious_instead
May 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Most people at my range are good about cleaning up after themselves, which is pretty outstanding considering that the range officer isn't on the actual firing line for more than about 15 mins a day.
Part of the Defensive Handgun class I took with Cope Reynolds out in Pinetop, AZ consisted of cleaning up the stretch of piney woods we used as our range. We carefully scooped up our brass, and grabbed and bagged a lot of the trash other people left.
A lady friend I made out in the Winslow area took me shooting to a desert area near her house... the place was horribly trashed by sloppy shooters. We certainly cleaned up our own stuff, but lost too much daylight to touch anything else.
The worst bit of littering I saw was at a local park in my area - I witnessed someone pulling out of their parking spot, and simply throwing trash out their window, rather than depositing it into a trash receptacle that was in easy arm's reach as they were leaving!

ljnowell
May 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
I was at my range today (private club) and when we got there we found a few old targets on the berm along with four or five plastic bottles shot up by 22s. When we left there was nothing on the ground. It seems I am always picking up after another. Unfortunately, in this hobby, we have to lead by example. "Its not mine" simply isnt good enough, in my opinion.

dagger dog
May 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
The old backpackers rule of carry it in, carry it out, applies to ALL SHOOTERS, but everyone should go the "extra mile" and pick up at least one other piece of trash that others have left behind.

deputy tom
May 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
The range is always cleaner after I leave than before I arrive.tom.:cool:

Coyote3855
May 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
And after others.

foghornl
May 28, 2012, 07:12 PM
Those ahhhhhhhh "slobs" that leave behind trash are probably the same ones that don't think anything about blazing away at road signs....

A REAL sore spot for me....many years back some yahoos shot up a road sign, I missed the curve and went out into a bean field at speed.....

dragon813gt
May 28, 2012, 08:13 PM
Went out to one range tonight. Came back with 10#s of brass, a small grocery bag of trash and I had to call the fire department. As I was coming in there was a car speeding away. No way I will ever know if it was them. But there was a small brush fire behind the one range berm. One forrest fire already narrowly missed this range. There was no way the fire started itself.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Walkalong
May 28, 2012, 08:46 PM
I go to a private range. We have had a 100+% increase in members in the last three years.

It shows. :banghead:

Shooting the props, holes in the roof over shooting positions, leaving trash, tacking targets to the 2X2 target stand legs and shooting them in half instead of stapling cardboard across the legs and stapling the target in between........

We voted to cap membership and for the first time ever we have had to email explicit rules to everyone in general, as well as with renewals.

Many public ranges have been closed down due to abuse. Places to shoot have dwindled. We do not need to help them close any more.

JerryC
May 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
I shoot at a private (Fraternal Order of Police) range. Used to have some problems with trash, mostly people leaving targets; cans, plastic bottles, cardboard boxes, etc. Installed video cameras and problem went away.

asia331
May 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
Count me in with Deputy Tom.

Sav .250
May 29, 2012, 07:02 AM
An organized range has rules to follow.

The Local "un-official" neighborhood range has no rules. Hence they some times end up looking like a dump with targets.

ljnowell
May 29, 2012, 08:41 PM
I go to a private range. We have had a 100+% increase in members in the last three years.

It shows.

Shooting the props, holes in the roof over shooting positions, leaving trash, tacking targets to the 2X2 target stand legs and shooting them in half instead of stapling cardboard across the legs and stapling the target in between........

We voted to cap membership and for the first time ever we have had to email explicit rules to everyone in general, as well as with renewals.

Many public ranges have been closed down due to abuse. Places to shoot have dwindled. We do not need to help them close any more.

We saw that in the last few years too. Only thing we could do was cap membership and policeas well as we could. Its disgusting really.

gbran
May 29, 2012, 10:10 PM
I prefer not to go to public ranges. I also don't like to go shoot at unoficial spots where others have left trash. I have a lot of BLM land near where I can shoot. I always go somewhere pristine and make sure it's still pristine when I leave.

talldragon
May 30, 2012, 12:27 AM
Every time I go to the range (generally public land, designated for shooting :) ) , I take along a few extra garbage bags. I pick up whatever I bring and a little more. Then I haul it off.
Just trying to leave it a little better than I found it :D .

These are not the best shooting spots, but they are free and have concrete benches to shoot from, as well as groomed berms, staggered out to 400 yds. One even has a vault toilet (yes, they thrash that too! :fire:)

People do seem to leave a lot of trash, shotgun hulls and glass (and that's not even allowed there).

It annoys the H E double hockey sticks out of me that people don't have enough respect for their own (public) land so as not to trash it :banghead:.

I wonder if their own personal yards look the same......... :scrutiny::eek:.

Abuse these privileges long enough and these shooting areas may get closed :( .

303tom
May 30, 2012, 09:10 AM
Yes, & everyone else if I have to........

Snag
May 30, 2012, 09:42 AM
I do. Like camping or anything else I bring home what I brought with me, sometimes more.

Arkansas Paul
May 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
Absolutely. I hate it when people junk up an area that others use. If you want to junk up your own place, knock yourself out, but not something others have to deal with...........................except brass of course. Leave all that you want. I'll clean it up for you. :)

Swing
May 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
Agreed with this big time. Leave the range in better condition than when you entered. I sweep up any brass (mine or otherwise) and if I see junk left behind, it gets dumped in the trash can.

Jim NE
May 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'm waiting for someone with a loaded and cocked gun to slip on the myriad of brass that's left on the floor at one of the indoor ranges I sometimes go to. Walking on spent brass isn't quite as unstable as walking on marbles, but almost. There's a trash can, but NEVER A BROOM OR DUST PAN. Shooters have gotten out of the habit, and the owners don't put a high priority on cleaning it up. I'm going to mention something about it next time I'm in.

Carl N. Brown
May 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
Most of us are apparently Tea Partiers leaving the park better than we found it, while compalining about the Occupiers who leave a mess behind (ducking out, stage right).

TITAN308
May 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
I bought a $9.00 deck brush (4ft head) from Home Depot (you can unscrew the head for transport) just for my local DNR range. I primarily clean my area, but if its a slow day or I am there alone I brush the entire concrete pad (about 12 benches) and make a neat pile of .22 and steel cases (cause thats all people leave behind lol!) off to the side for whomever wants it.

There is also a concrete walkway out to 100 yards and I will brush that too. I pickup large pieces of trash (leftover cardboard targets), but I ain't getting down and picking up tiny shards of destroyed objects.

The worse weekend for our local DNR is the weekend after Christmas. All the kids and immature adults with their new toys leave garbage EVERYWHERE even with $200 fine warning signs posted.

If the DNR had a brain every weekend after a holiday they would post an officer there and they could either rack up some major cash or make sure these sorry asses clean up after themselves.

I make a habit of talking very loudly/clearly when I am picking up left over garbage about how lazy some people are and they are not responsible enough to own a gun if they can't even pickup their targets. I do so in a manor thats not too obvious, but everyone can hear me. If they want to get offended then chances are its directed at them.

Unlike most, I prefer public ranges - going out to the range is as much a social thing as it is about shooting guns. I like meeting and talking to new people.

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 30, 2012, 02:23 PM
A REAL sore spot for me....many years back some yahoos shot up a road sign, I missed the curve and went out into a bean field at speed.....

Sounds like you were going too fast if you didn't see the road curve.

There is one stretch of road where a couple of signs have paintball hits on them from idiot kids driving down the road and one sign in Maine has actual bullet holds through it. There is a house almost right behind it too! :eek:

bergmen
May 30, 2012, 02:38 PM
Yes I definitely do. This habit has carried over to my three adult kids who are avid shooters as well. They automatically make sure everything is cleaned up (and more) without ever having to ask.

I have been bothered by the irresponsibilites of some shooters fro many years. it seems as though if an area is designated as legal to shoot recreationally that it is okay to completely trash the place up. I don't understand this, I don't see the same level of disregard in other public activites (boating, skiing, hiking, camping, etc.).

My sister lives in southern California and there used to be a large public shooting area just north of San Bernardino (Manzanita Flats). It was so heavily trashed up that it had to be closed and it remains so today.

We have two large BLM tracts (Cow Mountain North and Cow Mountain South) just east of where I live (Ukiah) that I fear may be under scrutiny for closure since they are regularly trashed up by shooters and not cleaned up.

I wish there was a way to head this off proactively. Something like a "Guardian Angel" type volunteer patrol of popular shooting areas or something. Just a set of eyes to report the slobs.

Dan

rajb123
May 30, 2012, 02:41 PM
I prefer a messy range.

Sniper66
May 30, 2012, 02:53 PM
I have shot at private ranges and public. I practice what many of you do; pick more than I leave. Our private range requires us to manitain the range but some still abuse the privilege. Those of us who do pick up after ourselves are in the large majority so the range stays tidy. Not so the public place. There used to be a public spot in my area that had been a rock quarry and a great place to shoot. It was eventually made off-limits because of trash and inapproriate shooting. This was a real loss because it was free and 10 minutes from my house. This a good reminder to not leave trash anywhere. Thanks.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
For those who tell about road signs that are shot up, I complained once to a guy at the range about how "non-gun" folks see holes in road signs, and they see the holes enough times that it turns a lot of people off. One road sign in particular was over 40 years old and somewhat rusted. Someone shot it up so bad you could hardly tell it was a sign.

When I mentioned this to the bozo at the range his reaction was "aw, that don't matter much at all, those road signs aren't made to last, they only last a few years."

I am not quite sure what PLANET this clown was from but I know of signs that were up when I was a kid and they are still there, minus bullet holes! So bozo was absolutely WRONG in telling me the signs just don't last.

Perhaps he was the one that shot the sign all to smitherines!:cuss:

orienteeer
May 30, 2012, 09:57 PM
RUN carl RUN!

moewadle
May 30, 2012, 11:39 PM
and believes in RKBA does not mean he/she is not an irresponsible yahoo as the OP worded it. I go to a public, free, outdoor range...even though the park rangers try to supervise it there is no fulltime supervision. So, people leave their trash and it ticks me off. I take home more than I bring to try and help the employees who come and pick up the trash.

au01st
May 31, 2012, 12:42 AM
Depending on the crowd at my outdoor range, I've been known to leave stuff behind IF I ask the person who is taking my bench if they would like to continue using the item (ex: I love using election posters for target holders). I'm happy to say that after a day at the range I've usually worn out the center of said poster, however the corners are usually in reasonably good shape and the poster can still hold targets with thumb tacks or tape. I can't really control if the person behind me takes that poster with them upon leaving.

If I'm there alone, or when it's slow, I'll wait for the range to go cold to retrieve my targets. I also collect my brass (as well as the brass from the adjoining lanes if the owner leaves it or doesn't want it); while I don't presently own any reloading equipment, someday...

There was one time where I left something behind: I took a 12oz can of coke, shook it up, and hit it with a 12ga slug from 20yds (outdoor range, all mud from the rain the previous day, etc). I would have picked up the can, but I couldn't find any of it...

tekarra
May 31, 2012, 08:49 PM
Yes, I clean up after myslef and have reminded others to if they start to go and leave junk behind.

jeepmor
May 31, 2012, 09:30 PM
I've been picking up camping litter much longer than shooters litter. At least some shooting litter has value, Only found a small fire grill picking up after campers, found lots of 223 and pistol cases at the shooting spots. And spent shotgun hulls, targets, appliances, yeah, all that stuff too.

I do try to clean up, but I don't go all gangbusters like I used to. I fill a kitchen garbage bag or two and call it good and go back about my business.

Hardtarget
May 31, 2012, 09:43 PM
I always pick up stuff at the club range. I've been thinking about a "Your momma won't be here to pick up your garbage" sign...just haven't done it...yet.Thats bad enough, but, the one that really got me was the guy that lived almost FREE on our farm and he STILL trashed my shooting range. He made it a point to leave it for me to clean up when he moved. :fire: I'm pretty sure he will not be shooting there...any more...ever!

I even see trash scattered around at the public range even with a dumpster fifty feet away. No reason for it.

Mark

Ala Dan
June 1, 2012, 09:47 PM
I try too (he-he-he)~! :D

General Geoff
June 1, 2012, 10:04 PM
Since I don't reload, I usually leave my brass at the range, but I'll usually pick it up and pile the various cailbers neatly on the table for whomever can use them. :)

mljdeckard
June 2, 2012, 01:05 AM
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=20651529&title=utah-lake-fire-sparks-concerns-over-target-practice-in-the-area&s_cid=featured-1

Fire ON TOP OF the litter.

FROGO207
June 2, 2012, 04:33 PM
If these people are such uncaring slobs at the range I wonder what it looks like at their home?? I do clean up after my self and some of what others leave at public ranges. However it is actually ridiculous what crap is often left behind. A good tactic is to bring extra trash bags and hand them out to the others and explain that we all need to keep it clean or we will loose the privilege to shoot there some day.

Capybara
June 2, 2012, 06:28 PM
It's all about image guys. I grew up on a ranch and have spent a lot of time on horses, hiking and motorcycles and when I am not shooting, nothing makes me more mad than coming across a nice area with a backstop and seeing empty shells and hulls and shot up junk.

It's no wonder that there are hardly any public shooting areas left in SoCal when you have idiots that treat the outdoors as their garbage can. It is just wrong.

Too many self-centered, self-absorbed morons out there.

drsfmd
June 2, 2012, 09:18 PM

It shows. :banghead:

I could have written this myself. It mirrors what's happening at the primary club I spend my time at.

45-auto
June 3, 2012, 12:28 AM
Like many others in the West, my wife and I use BLM land for shooting.

We know a great place that's located well off a two rut dirt road, with good backstops. We've always policed up our targets, brass, lunch stuff and the like. We also clean up and carry away what others leave there.

Fortunately, it hasn't attracted derelict TVs couches and the like. Even if it does, we'll be hauling them off.

PS - We don't disclose the location unless we're sure the recipients are responsible shooters and stewards.

mljdeckard
June 3, 2012, 12:35 AM
That's probably not at all a bad idea. I am also finding I have to drive further if I want privacy and untainted areas.

loose noose
June 3, 2012, 01:52 PM
My little BLM land range is where I get my officers qualified, as well as my students. Note it is an area in Southern Nevada not too far from Laughlin. I'm not sure how much longer we're going to have that range due to the litter that they have out there. Everything from old couches to tv's micro waves, washers and dryers. In the fall of the year I take my pick-up out there, as well as some other local shooters, and we haul all that junk to the county dump which is about 1-2 miles down the road. The last time I was out there which was about a month ago, because it's gotten so hot, I noticed the County plowed it all up recently. However there were still a lot of broken bottles, cans, and old target holders still laying there. Note when I get done shooting with my classes I have them police there brass and take the target holders down. Just can't believe how some people must live if that is any indication of what there homes must look like.

flip888
June 3, 2012, 11:46 PM
I always pick up all the brass i find at my outdoor shooting place but when people bring out used mattresses, teddy bears, tires, and glass animal cages, etc. i dont want anything to do with it. Definitely dont want that filthy stuff in my jeep after theyve sat in the rain for days or weeks before i see them. Still, it gets me mad to see how some people are heartless enough to disrespect nature in such a way. If i had a truck and a waste management center near by i would have no reservations about cleaning that place up over the corse of a few weekends. My family has been going there for 3 generation so its almost a sacred place to me.

Nanook
June 8, 2012, 09:42 AM
The first thing I do is hang targets and cardboard. Then after shooting, the last thing I do before leaving is remove targets and cardboard.

Of course, the range is called "cold" during those times.

I reload, so my brass comes home with me, unless I can't find it.

We still have idiots shooting up the baffles and target holders, though. I don't understand their reasoning, but it seems to happen on every range I've seen. One private club range had it happen so often, they went to telephone pole pieces for uprights. At least now it will take the idiots longer to destroy the uprights.

If you enjoyed reading about "do you pick up after yourself?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!