Epic fail**** don't be this guy*** graphic pics

PDA

JohnnyK
May 28, 2012, 12:20 AM
Disclaimer - I got these two photos and story third-hand, so I can't really verify accuracy.

The story I was told was that the gun, a 1911, was being pressed into the forearm to demonstrate how it could be taken out of battery during a contact shot and thus fail to fire. Unfortunately, this particular 1911 was loaded and did not, in fact, go out of battery. It fired just fine, destroying the arm in the process. The round continued through a second person's arm and stopped in his small intestine. I didn't get much more detail than that, but let it be yet another reminder of the 4 safety rules:

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

This incident violated all 4 of these simultaneously.

I couldn't figure out how to insert pics... see link below. Johnny

http://http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3980-Epic-Gun-Safety-Fail-%2AGRAPHIC-PHOTO%2A&highlight=epic+safety+fail

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3980-Epic-Gun-Safety-Fail-%2AGRAPHIC-PHOTO%2A&highlight=epic+safety+fail

If you enjoyed reading about "Epic fail**** don't be this guy*** graphic pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
asia331
May 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
Yikes; God bless him I hope he can recover without permanent disability. I'm curious as to what bullet (type / grain) caused the wound.

AJumbo
May 28, 2012, 12:43 AM
The lion's share of the damage would have been caused by hot gasses, though the bullet didn't help the guy's cause much.

JohnnyK
May 28, 2012, 12:50 AM
at least he didn't put all his chips on the table to try and prove his point and put the 1911 to his head...

gunnutery
May 28, 2012, 01:06 AM
Wow. Hope the guy recovers functionality.

K15997
May 28, 2012, 05:07 AM
Wow!

NMPOPS
May 28, 2012, 05:12 AM
What an idiot! This is the kind of incident that makes us all look bad. Its hard to feel sorry for him.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

Shadow 7D
May 28, 2012, 05:46 AM
NOT an IDIOT,
sorry but *stuff happens*
all it takes is ONE moment of distraction, ONE failure in a long line of actions to lead to tragic consequences.

SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT
never ever compromise it, take this, why a guys arm, it could have been just as effective demonstrated with a sand bag, pointed down range.

Loosedhorse
May 28, 2012, 06:42 AM
the gun, a 1911, was being pressed into the forearm to demonstrate how it could be taken out of battery during a contact shot and thus fail to fire.NOT an IDIOT,
all it takes is ONE moment of distraction, ONE failure in a long line of actions to lead to tragic consequences.Sorry--seems like this was way more than one failure. NDs that cause injury always are.

As pointed out by the listing of the 4 Rules, this was at least 4 failures. Add to that that this guy chose---CHOSE--to use his own body to demonstrate how "safe" what he was doing was.

Idiot. But he's likely smarter now. I wish him and his other victim the best.

General Geoff
May 28, 2012, 06:58 AM
I'm saving those pictures to use as a visual aide for those who don't take gun safety seriously. Thanks for posting.

Manson
May 28, 2012, 07:15 AM
The OP said it correctly. He failed to follow all the basic safety rules. It makes an accident much more likely when you ignore them all.

I hope he recovers an retains full functionality.

SlamFire1
May 28, 2012, 07:51 AM
Ouch!

That guy's arm will never be the same.

jad0110
May 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
If I did something like that to myself, "idiot" would be the kind way I'd describe myself.

hardluk1
May 28, 2012, 08:15 AM
He will be lucky if that arm even functions again with bone loss , nerve damage. Plus the hospital cost and damage to his buddy too. WOW. Life will not be the same. Too bad

PBR Streetgang
May 28, 2012, 08:17 AM
Had A LEO instructor do the same thing in a classroom of recruits, he pressed the muzzle into his hand but not hard enough to take it out of battery.
It wasn't pretty.................

Salmoneye
May 28, 2012, 08:26 AM
He will be lucky if that arm even functions again with bone loss , nerve damage. Plus the hospital cost and damage to his buddy too. WOW. Life will not be the same. Too bad

Trying to be 'High Road' here...

What is 'bad' is that if the 'story' is true, this 'instructor' put a bullet into an innocent bystander thus screwing with his/her life...

A little loss of motility on this "instructor's" part doesn't bother me in the least...

Let's just hope this person rethinks their ability to 'instruct' anyone about anything...

jon_in_wv
May 28, 2012, 08:44 AM
Sorry--seems like this was way more than one failure. NDs that cause injury always are.

As pointed out by the listing of the 4 Rules, this was at least 4 failures. Add to that that this guy chose---CHOSE--to use his own body to demonstrate how "safe" what he was doing was.

Idiot. But he's likely smarter now. I wish him and his other victim the best.

Agreed, this wasn't an "accident" or a "moment of distraction". The guys was mishandling a loaded weapon, aimed it at something he didn't want to shoot, and intentionally pulled the trigger while it was aimed not only at something he didn't desire to shoot but also with an unsafe backstop resulting in a second person's injuries. At least he successfully demonstrated what NOT to do. I'm sure it's a lesson he will never forget. Too bad.

Let's just hope this person rethinks their ability to 'instruct' anyone about anything...

I don't think this guy had any business instructing firearms, he may be a lot smarter and more qualified now!

earlthegoat2
May 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
The four rules are pretty good in general.

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

However, they have to be stacked together as one for nothing like this to ever happen. There are plenty of reports of NGs where there is nothing more than a harmless hole in the wall or floor. That is because of a failure of at least two of the above rules.

IMO, rule 2 is the most important of all. If you follow this one rule then any NGs will never have a tragic consequence. This goes to show that only following one rule of four could have just scared the crap out of a few people and not nearly ended the lives of 2.

When an NG happens, rule 4 kind of becomes N/A or it has already been broken by de facto at that point. There never was a target in the case of an NG. That is only a safety rule in place for when at the last possible moment before you fire your aimed shot at a target you are willing to destroy you think to yourself of what lies beyond and make sure anything beyond the target is also something you are willing to destroy.

The rules have to be slammed home time and time again and relentlessly followed until they become second nature to you. And then they have to be concentrated on even harder to never let NDs occur.

shooter_from_show-me
May 28, 2012, 08:51 AM
That is one NASTY wound!:eek:

dogrunner
May 28, 2012, 08:55 AM
Bet he doesn't do that again!

doubleh
May 28, 2012, 08:59 AM
I have no idea if this story is true or not. That said, he'll be lucky (?) if he doesn't lose that arm and if he doesn't it will most likely be useless.

I don't see this as "stuff happens". What he did was exceptionally stupid.

He did it to himself but also hurt an innocent bystander which makes it even worse.

ball3006
May 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
It was not a moment of distraction, it was a moment of STUPID. He should have been distracted from even trying this stunt.....chris3

303tom
May 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
You Never point a firearm at anything you don`t intend to shot, can`t say as I feel sorry for the guy............

ClickClickD'oh
May 28, 2012, 09:14 AM
Live ammunition has zero place in the room during the show and tell portion of training. Leave it locked up until it's range time.

Double Naught Spy
May 28, 2012, 09:16 AM
It is rather amusing to see folks debating aspects of a story for which the OP notes he cannot vouch. If you can't vouch for the story, then all you have are a couple of pictures of a supposed GSW.

What is really funny is this "third hand" story is reposted by different people in numerous places. JohnnyK didn't get this story 3rd hand. He would have gotten it at least 4th hand from the person who actually did get it third hand.

Manson
May 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
What you say is true Double. But when I look closely at the pic of the entry wound I think I can see the imprint of a muzzle. Can anyone else see this? If it is a muzzle it might be safe to assume (still an assumption) that a weapon pressed against the arm caused the wound. Which tends to support the story.

Just an opinion.

Walkalong
May 28, 2012, 10:46 AM
NOT an IDIOT
Perhaps not, but, if the story is true, they did an extremely stupid thing. If it is not, seems like a ND at best.

Never violate the four gun rules. I do not understand how it is so complicated for some.

Let this be yet another hard lesson.

JohnnyK
May 28, 2012, 10:51 AM
I got the story from the gun forum after it was mentioned on a radio gun talk show... Guns Over Texas... I'm sure it's a true story... the pics are pretty gruesome and it's a lesson to be learned to prevent others from stupid actions... like using your body parts to prove a point with a loaded gun or totally dismissing the 4 rules... either way, if reposting here helps people be more safe, its worth the post... the sport we enjoy is dangerous if safety is ignored... lessons are best learned from others' mistakes. Johnny

brickeyee
May 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
24,000 PSI hot gas is NOT good for tissue.

Owen Sparks
May 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
If you look closley at the entrance wound you can see that it was a 1911. You can even see the front sight.

JoeMal
May 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
This is crazy....firearm rules are meant to be followed

Manson
May 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
Thank you Owen. 1911 is what I thought as well. You know if an instructor is determined to demonstrate this theory you would think he would be smart enough to figure out a better way.

I'm curious. If I was in that class I would have been tempted to leave when he didn't clear the weapon and began the demonstration. Would you guys stick around if an instructor did something that was clearly unsafe? I think too much trust is placed in an authority figure sometimes.

PoserHoser
May 28, 2012, 12:58 PM
.45 ain't no jive

SaxonPig
May 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
Obviously every single rule of safe gun handling was ignored. The word idiot does in fact come to mind. Not a mere lapse in judgment or moment's distraction, this was a calculated act of extreme foolishness.

hardluk1
May 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
I did not see anything that said it was an instructor so may a couple of low IQ guys . I shooting one standing in the wrong spot.

zdc1775
May 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
All I can say is at least he demonstrated on himself and not someone else. Too bad about the other guy being in the line of fire though. If it wasn't for that all I would say "If you're going to be stupid, you've got to be tough."

skeeziks
May 28, 2012, 02:46 PM
This was beyond stupid!
Had I been in the room, I would have tried to disarm him. And if that was not a possibility, I would've run for my life!
As has already been stated...it's real hard to feel sorry for this nim-whit!

Even if he had cleared the weapon, he still should not have pointed the muzzle at his arm.
Let's face it...there are alot of us out there that just have no business handling firearms in any way whatsoever.

1911Tuner
May 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
Whew! I ain't got the words. Makes me hurt from the inside out just lookin' at it.

coalman
May 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
Natural consequences at play here... Too bad though.

alsaqr
May 28, 2012, 03:01 PM
During the runup to Desert Storm a USMC lieutenant was teaching a class on the model 1911. To demonstrate the out of battery safety he shoved a loaded gun hard against his head. Yep, he died.

That incident is in Gen'l. Schwartzkoph's book.

mr.scott
May 28, 2012, 03:46 PM
. This was beyond stupid!
Had I been in the room, I would have tried to disarm him. And if that was not a possibility, I would've run for my life!
As has already been stated...it's real hard to feel sorry for this nim-whit!

Even if he had cleared the weapon, he still should not have pointed the muzzle at his arm.
Let's face it...there are alot of us out there that just have no business handling firearms in any way whatsoever.

I think he tried to disarm himself

Tom488
May 28, 2012, 04:01 PM
I've demonstrated this myself to several people. I ALWAYS triple-check that the pistol is clear, and I always use a suitable backstop (usually my encapsulating bullet trap), or a 6x6 wood block.

Failure to clear the gun before said demonstration is a lapse in safety. Using your OWN BODY as the backstop is just plain STUPIDITY. I'm not even sure my brain is wired to allow my finger to pull the trigger while pointing the gun at myself - and I'm not about to try to find out.

ljnowell
May 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
I think he tried to disarm himself

Disarm or de-arm?

berettaprofessor
May 28, 2012, 04:17 PM
Ouch (to Mr. Scott's pun).

One thing wrong about the story is that I think it's a leg, not an arm....my evidence....looks like a calf muscle and knee in the first picture, not forearm muscles....but more importantly, in the 2nd picture, there's an unmistakable arm, hospital tag and all, belonging to the person in the same bed in the background and it's 4 or 5 feet away from the appendage being pictured....don't think it's possible that's an arm that got shot.

mr.scott
May 28, 2012, 04:24 PM
You are seeing his left arm up close. It is his right arm in the distance. It just looks far due to perspective. Most people are right handed, so it makes sťance the she shot himself in the inside left forearm.

Shadow 7D
May 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
For everybody who declaims this
curses him an idiot
waves the 4 rules, saying what fools

Please, take a moment and realize, that this guy THOUGHT he was going to be OK
yes, that thought led to a VERY foolish course of action, but this guy could have been a rocket scientist, all it takes, is ONE thing in the long line to lead to tragic consequences, where were his buddies yelling 'NO don't do it', where was the confirming clear, etc.

It reminds me of an army helicopter accident some of the senior pilots in my unit got tasked to help with the investigation. Each bird in the formation has specific additional tasks that they do, like the first bird navigates, second is commo etc. Second bird developed engine trouble, and was forced to turn back, so 3rd bird moved up and assumed it's duties (commo) too. The pilots were calm and gave no sign of distress on the recorders until after the initial impact. See they both were doing the additional duties, first pilot had stopped flying the helicopter to take over the commo, second was still working heads down, nobody was flying. Until the moment of impact, they both KNEW they were doing fine, yet with two experienced pilots, neither was doing the one job they had to do to stay alive, and assumed the other was doing it, there are set procedures, almost rituals that the pilots are supposed to follow, that day neither one asked the other if they were flying the bird.

All it takes is one thing, one (rednecks last works) 'Here,hold my beer, let me show you how you do it'

for you life to be changed forever, we don't know the 'whys', we can point out the general knowledge rules that were violated for this to happen. But instead of name calling and rule thumping, take a moment and think, this CAN happen to you, if you let it.

Double Naught Spy
May 28, 2012, 05:16 PM
I got the story from the gun forum after it was mentioned on a radio gun talk show... Guns Over Texas... I'm sure it's a true story... the pics are pretty gruesome and it's a lesson to be learned to prevent others from stupid actions... like using your body parts to prove a point with a loaded gun or totally dismissing the 4 rules... either way, if reposting here helps people be more safe, its worth the post... the sport we enjoy is dangerous if safety is ignored... lessons are best learned from others' mistakes. Johnny

Thing is, you didn't just get the story, but the first person claims of not being able to vouch for it. I am sure nothing on a gun forum or radio show has ever gone out without extensive checking. {sarcasm}

If you are so sure it is true, why didn't you post without the claims that you can't vouch for it?

Without the original source, there is no way to know if it was a gross safety violation (self inflict or on another) or a wound due to conflict. Nobody seems to know where it happened, when it happened, or who it happened to.

skeeziks
May 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
Been shooting for 42 years and have never even come close to having a ND.
Firearms safety was drilled into me at a very young age. I was blessed to have a father that taught me to be safe long before he put that first rifle into my hands.

Lex Luthier
May 28, 2012, 07:35 PM
NEGLIGENT discharge. Prayers for his viable recovery, but this is evolution at work.

kcshooter
May 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
NOT an IDIOT,
sorry but *stuff happens*That may or may not be so, but "stuff" happens to idiots at a much higher frequency.

Ask Darwin...

David E
May 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
NOT an IDIOT,

And I bet he's the "only one that he knows of that's qualified to safely handle a firearm..."

:rolleyes:

Carter
May 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
Well that makes me a believer of the .45

Warp
May 28, 2012, 10:12 PM
NOT an idiot...

Did he or did he not press a loaded pistol against his body and pull the trigger?

Arkansas Paul
May 28, 2012, 10:23 PM
I'm with you Warp. Anyone who points a gun at themselves and pulls the trigger is a drooling moron. I've had a ND when I was young and stupid, I admit, but I wasn't intentionally pointing the gun at myself.

That being said, there is no teacher like experience and I hope the guy recovers with full use of his arm. I'm sure he will not make the same mistake again.

Snag
May 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
Makes you wonder if somewhere deep in this guys psyche there's a desire to take huge risks. Life or death type risks. That or he's just an idiot.

shuvelrider
May 28, 2012, 10:41 PM
Either way, whatever his background with guns----------100% Darwin Award Winner, I have no empathy for people like that.

People can quote their "4 rules of safety" all they want, as I've seen on this thread. But not applying some common sense to the situation seems to have led to this injury. You can make all the golden rules you want for gun safety, still comes down to the "common sense" to follow them.

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
Please, take a moment and realize, that this guy THOUGHT he was going to be OK

So did those teenage boys that thought they would be okay ripping through town at 90MPH, are they not idiots as well? One Cop thought it would be okay to leave his revolver in the open center console where his son got it and shot his sister with it, was he not an idiot too?

Fishslayer
May 28, 2012, 11:46 PM
During the runup to Desert Storm a USMC lieutenant was teaching a class on the model 1911. To demonstrate the out of battery safety he shoved a loaded gun hard against his head. Yep, he died.

That incident is in Gen'l. Schwartzkoph's book.

When I was in the Seabees back in the '70s a similar story was going around. Only in that story the instructor blew a hole in his hand.

1911Tuner
May 29, 2012, 05:35 AM
this guy THOUGHT he was going to be OK

I think that he thought several things that weren't so.

He thought that the disconnect's function was preventing firing out of battery. It's not.

A functioning, within spec disconnect will keep the pistol from firing about .050-.060 inch out of battery...but its function is connecting the trigger and sear, and then getting out of the way to let the sear reset.

He thought he had the pistol far enough out of battery to keep it from firing. He didn't.

If he'd had it as much as .080 inch out of battery it likely couldn't have fired...regardless of the disconnect. At .090-.100 inch out, it surely couldn't have. The hammer can't hit the firing pin with the slide .100 inch out of battery. It's blocked by the bottom of the firing pin stop.

I'm going to venture a guess that the slide wasn't out of battery at all. He only thought it was. Easy to make that assumption when pushing it into yielding flesh.

Deliberately pointing a cocked, loaded gun at any part of one's body and testing the "safety" by pulling the trigger is an insanely stupid thing to do. He'll have a reminder of that for the rest of his days.

Manson
May 29, 2012, 06:09 AM
Well he's an idiot or he's not an idiot. I believe the story, others don't. All these things aside I'm glad this thread was posted. Pictures like the ones linked here are a good way of reminding me not to become complacent. Sometimes I think that's all it amounts to.

After decades of gun ownership I don't notice the gun I'm carrying. I'm sure the injured gentleman knew the rules. He just ignored them. Perhaps he went twenty or thirty years without a problem. Those that say stuff happens are also correct. It happens when we become so casual about a dangerous object we fail to focus. A lack of discipline for a moment can cause a lot of damage.

I don't want to be to critical of the guy. I just want to have enough discipline not to be him.

Jeremiah10:23
May 29, 2012, 07:11 AM
I can only say maybe his plan wasn't very well thought out. I'll bet he doesn't do it again.

ScottieG59
May 29, 2012, 11:29 AM
We each have good days and bad days; we hope the preparation we do allows us to get through each.

If I do not fell in top form or I am a little bit tired, I refrain from my more dangerous activities. Motorcycling and guns falls into the activities I consider worthy of my being in top form.

Lapses are always possible, though the described incident is more than a lapse or a bad day. It is a lack of respect for the possibilities.

Fotno
May 29, 2012, 11:44 AM
An 'accident' occurs when there are unforeseen consequences of engaging in an activity. Being struck by an asteroid while mowing the grass would be an example. When the foreseeable occurs while engaged in a known dangerous activity, it's not an accident. Losing ones fingers by placing them under the deck of a running lawn mower would be an example of that.

Anyone injuring themselves in this fashion, has no one to blame but themselves.

mr.scott
May 29, 2012, 07:53 PM
Accidents are just that. A random occurrence of events that has no foreseeable outcome. Shooting oneself in this manner is stupidity, not accidental. An accident would be he was on the firing line and a bull elephant crashed into him sending him flailing from the blow and in the shock of the moment and randomness that the gun was pointed at a body part and the clenching and twisting caused the gun to go off.

Double Naught Spy
May 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
An 'accident' occurs when there are unforeseen consequences of engaging in an activity. Being struck by an asteroid while mowing the grass would be an example. When the foreseeable occurs while engaged in a known dangerous activity, it's not an accident. Losing ones fingers by placing them under the deck of a running lawn mower would be an example of that.

Anyone injuring themselves in this fashion, has no one to blame but themselves.

Where did you read that someone else was being blamed?

Accidents are just that. A random occurrence of events that has no foreseeable outcome. Shooting oneself in this manner is stupidity, not accidental.

Actually, this is still a type of accident that most gun owners would call being negligent. We talk about "accidental discharges" which are due to mechanical issues and not the result of the trigger being pulled and "negligent discharges" when the trigger is pulled and the gun discharges unexpectedly.

kcshooter
May 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
I dunno, I'm still leaning towards "idiotic discharge"...

neviander
May 29, 2012, 08:45 PM
I feel sorry for the guy, as his arm will never be the same.

What was he thinking sticking a loaded gun into his arm.... *face palm*

Fotno
May 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
Where did you read that someone else was being blamed?

Actually, this is still a type of accident that most gun owners would call being negligent. We talk about "accidental discharges" which are due to mechanical issues and not the result of the trigger being pulled and "negligent discharges" when the trigger is pulled and the gun discharges unexpectedly.
I see my effort to be tactful was wasted. Let me put it a little less delicately then.

In a world full of people who are injured or ill through no fault of their own, I feel no sympathy for a dipstick who shot himself while doing something stupid. I'm just glad he didn't shoot someone else.

skoro
May 29, 2012, 09:01 PM
Holy Moley!

That had to chafe.

Be careful, guys. :eek:

skeeziks
May 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
Quote= "I'm just glad he didn't shoot someone else."

He DID shoot someone else.... The bullet, upon exiting his arm, then passed thru the arm of a bystander and then entered his gut and lodged in the small intestine.

> This is what happens when one plays with firearms!

Gordon
May 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
I have seen this in the safety portfolio of Scot Reitz at ITTS before . BTW Uncle Scotti has Zero injury accidents in all the years and the 10s of thousands of trainees he has had. Iron clad safety with no secret training methods is the key.After all what kind of a shooting class need to be taught about fraction of inchout of battery on 1911s?:banghead: They need to be taught handgun retension positions maybe with a single sentence to avoid muzzle contact along with other reasons to keep gun back from subject. All ways the little secret trick that causes trouble!:rolleyes:

Fotno
May 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
He DID shoot someone else.... The bullet, upon exiting his arm, then passed thru the arm of a bystander and then entered his gut and lodged in the small intestine.

I confess I didn't read the article, just the comments in this thread, and I missed that part. He's a double dipstick then, because his stupidity hurt someone else.

paramedic70002
May 29, 2012, 10:04 PM
I wonder how many times he played show and tell before fate stopped giving him a pass.

Texas huh, I wonder if "Here, hold my beer and watch this" was heard prior to the gunshot.

Warp
May 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
Texas huh, I wonder if "Here, hold my beer and watch this" was heard prior to the gunshot.

Do we really need to start this?

orionengnr
May 29, 2012, 10:55 PM
NOT an IDIOT,

I cannot view the pic(s), but...I get the idea.

Realy? If you want to prove that such-and-such "cannot" happen, and you choose to "prove" this with a loaded firearm...and you are wrong...then yes, you have proven yourself to be an idiot.

And the evidence is on display for all the world to see.

paramedic70002
May 30, 2012, 01:43 AM
Warp,

I married a Texan, therefore I seldom miss a chance to pick on Texas.

leadcounsel
May 30, 2012, 02:28 AM
1) My God was it stupid to put a gun against your body and pull the trigger- IF I ever did that, I would make check 10 times to make sure the gun was unloaded, no magazine, etc. And then I would check 10 more times.

2) My God that is a painful injury to look at... destroyed his limb. Ouch... The awesome power of a handgun round at point blank range...

SSN Vet
May 30, 2012, 03:42 PM
stupid is as stupid does

Warp
May 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
Warp,

I married a Texan, therefore I seldom miss a chance to pick on Texas.
That's fair. :)

Ben86
May 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
Let's make a concerted effort not to become shining examples of what happens when we fail to observe gun safety ourselves.

He does have a rather unique tattoo of a 1911 on the entrance side though.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
Man, that out-side of the bullet really appears painful to me. I cannot imagine the pain of those muscles, tendons and nerves all mooshed up together. He may always have pain from that shot. Phantom pain may start creeping in for anything that is now gone.:uhoh:

He does have a rather unique tattoo of a 1911 on the entrance side though.

Yes, that he DOES HAVE.
The ugly side might stay pretty ugly as well.

lobo9er
May 30, 2012, 05:43 PM
beats the 460 thumb removal pics. that second pic is horrible.I'm also guessing it was gas and pressure. awful for all involved, including the unfortunate souls that just had to whitness it.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
I have a 500 Magnum and I have had my hands near the cylinder gap when firing and it didn't rip any holes in my skin. The towel I lay on a wooden block gets a beating after 20 shots or so, it kind of starts shredding.

I wondered with the .460 thumb if he might have inadvertantly cut his hand on an old window pane he was possibly using as a rest. Yup, that was nasty as well!

lobo9er
May 30, 2012, 11:57 PM
have a 500 Magnum and I have had my hands near the cylinder gap

357 blew nice half moon hole in my thumb.
maybe your thumb wasnt close enough. Dont find out :) if you do post the pics! :)

exavid
May 31, 2012, 12:19 AM
I vote with the "he was an idiot to demonstrate that way." If one wants to demonstrate that a 1911 won't fire out of battery the gun can be pressed against something non-animate and with the muzzle down range, outdoors.

blarby
May 31, 2012, 12:52 AM
Ahh yes.

The fallacy of total certainty, coupled with the illusion of invincibility, greeted by the enlightening glow of reality.

I feel far less for this man than the unidentified person with the gutshot. The gutshot will be far, far worse. If I were either of these unlucky individuals.... My first call outside of the hospital would be to a lawyer. Albeit for slightly different reasons

Ryanxia
May 31, 2012, 11:17 AM
What General Geoff said, I'm going to send those pictures to 1 or 2 buddies that could be just a tad safer :)

brickeyee
May 31, 2012, 11:21 AM
If one wants to demonstrate that a 1911 won't fire out of battery the gun can be pressed against something non-animate and with the muzzle down range, outdoors.

THIS!!:(

He was stupid.

Stupid enough to likely nearly die.

While the brachial is not as large as the femoral artery, it is large enough to bleed you out in a short time.

brickeyee
May 31, 2012, 11:24 AM
Attorneys to deal with Federal charges do not come cheap.

1911Tuner
May 31, 2012, 04:46 PM
With contact wounds, the expanding gases always do more damage than the bullet does. The lowly .38 158 grain lead round nose, striking from 10 feet punches a neat hole. Press the muzzle of a snub against the belly with the same round, and the gas plug explodes the hollow organs. Very nasty stuff.

That arm is ruined.

KansasPaul
May 31, 2012, 08:51 PM
This is a tragic situation - definitely life changing. Following firearm safety rules is paramount. I owned a firearm that had two negligent discharges. I take full ownership for the discharges, which occurred as the pistol's decocker mechanism was engaged (there was a problem with the pistol). Fortunately, in both discharges, the muzzle was pointed down-range in a safe direction. There is no way I would place a muzzle against any part of my body and pull the trigger - even with an empty revolver - just no way.

1911Tuner
June 1, 2012, 02:31 PM
Paul...a negligent discharge that doesn't hurt anybody is like the pilots' dictum. "Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing."

Nobody got hurt. That's really all that counts.

brickeyee
June 1, 2012, 03:51 PM
With contact wounds, the expanding gases always do more damage than the bullet does.

There is an account in the back of one of Col. Cooper's books of a suicide using a .30-06 and a cartridge the bullet was pulled from.

Even surprisingly low pressure gas can do a lot of damage in the body.

Some of the less knowledgeable teenagers have tried huffing from helium cylinders instead of filling the balloon first and then using them to create the 'squeak effect" in talking.

A few have managed to remove themselves from the gene pool.

Warp
June 1, 2012, 04:05 PM
Some of the less knowledgeable teenagers have tried huffing from helium cylinders instead of filling the balloon first and then using them to create the 'squeak effect" in talking.

I've done that.

franconialocal
June 1, 2012, 05:01 PM
Good ammo! lol :/

Ryanxia
June 1, 2012, 09:32 PM
I think the website linked in the OP is down ATM.

WilleRupert
June 2, 2012, 01:18 PM
Darwin award contender

If you enjoyed reading about "Epic fail**** don't be this guy*** graphic pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!