Does your car have a keyless entry?

PDA

SleazyRider
May 28, 2012, 11:20 PM
Mine does, and it nearly cost me my Winchester Model 12, so please read and heed:
Just returned from a 2400-mile business trip from New York to Iowa and back, bringing along an unloaded and cased shotgun locked in the trunk of my car. If time permitted, I planned on shooting some clay birds at a range just outside Des Moines. ( It didn't.)
To avoid raising eyebrows by carrying a shotgun case through the lobby of the motels at which I stayed, I thought it best to leave the gun locked in the trunk of my car. So perhaps you can imagine my surprise when I walked out to my car one morning only to find that the trunk was wide open and---as I later deduced by the dew on the inside of the trunk lid---had been all night! Cripes, did somebody break into my car and grab my Model 12?
Imagine my relief when I found it safely stowed exactly where I had left it in the back of my trunk. Apparently, in my haste that previous evening, I carelessly tossed my car keys in with the other flotsam and jetsam in my travel bag, which depressed the button of my remote trunk opener, causing my trunk to pop open from the comfort of my second-floor room at the Holiday Inn Express. Miraculously, nobody touched a thing!
It is said that a wise man learns from his mistakes, but a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others. So learn from my mistake, and be careful with your keyless entry!

If you enjoyed reading about "Does your car have a keyless entry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hypnogator
May 28, 2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I've pocket-turned on the alarm on my truck several times! :uhoh:

CDW4ME
May 28, 2012, 11:26 PM
Manual door locks. :)

dubbleA
May 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
I have 4 vehicles with keyless entries and 3 of them are keyless starts. It doesnt matter what types of locks, none are secure. I could be accused of being extremely paranoid when it comes to traveling with firearms in which I do weekly. In my case I make it a point not to leave firearms in a vehicle if I leave them unattended. Bad things can happen as it doesnt take 30 seconds to break in and steal stuff from a car/truck.

When traveling I take firearms in the hotel/motel with me. Just last month I had a barreled action that I was doing some machine work on with me and had to overnight in a hotel, I placed in on top of my duffle and it spent the night with me.

SleazyRider
May 28, 2012, 11:40 PM
I have 4 vehicles with keyless entries and 3 of them are keyless starts. It doesnt matter what types of locks, none are secure. I could be accused of being extremely paranoid when it comes to traveling with firearms in which I do weekly. In my case I make it a point not to leave firearms in a vehicle if I leave them unattended. Bad things can happen as it doesnt take 30 seconds to break in and steal stuff from a car/truck.

When traveling I take firearms in the hotel/motel with me. Just last month I had a barreled action that I was doing some machine work on with me and had to overnight in a hotel, I placed in on top of my duffle and it spent the night with me.
Agreed.

nukinfuts29
May 28, 2012, 11:46 PM
I would rather get odd looks and take it to my room

spikedzombies
May 28, 2012, 11:52 PM
have keyless entry, but not keyless trunk. In fact I disabled the interior trunk popper so the trunk can only be opened by the key.

"Sent via my own personal defense satellite"

Dentite
May 29, 2012, 03:39 AM
One interesting feature of on my BMW is that if the trunk is "popped" with the key fob it merely is unlocked and doesn't rise up. If you do not open the trunk and drive off it relocks. So far it's been a good feature in that if you do pop the trunk inadvertantly the trunk lid does not lift up exposing it's contents.

The-Reaver
May 29, 2012, 04:02 AM
The batteries are dead in my little thing. Turns out after 3 weeks of locking it manually... I kinda like it.

Sig Bill
May 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
I had that problem with my trunk popping open so I unplugged it at the latch. Only a key can open it now.

303tom
May 29, 2012, 09:23 AM
Yes, but the hatch on my Taurus wagon does not open automatically.................

Drail
May 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
Another down side to "keyless entry" devices is that there are now devices commonly available that allow a thief to "read" the code from your fob when you lock the vehicle and will allow them to unlock your car after you walk away. Of course no lock is totally secure and almost all car door locks can be picked by a 5th grader with a little training and practice. Anything that is valuable to you should not be left in a vehicle if you can help it.

HGUNHNTR
May 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
Outside of New York and NJ, not many people will give you odd looks. NEVER leave a gun in a car.

Sig Bill
May 29, 2012, 10:33 AM
Sometimes I have to leave my gun in my car so I have a nano vault under my seat. I always keep my car clean so any smash-n-grab punk don't see anything in there.

Ben86
May 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
Mine are manual, I just don't feel like spending the money on a keyless conversion. I'd much rather buy holsters, magazines or ammo. ;)

Although I will say I have seen them deter odd fellows from people's cars. Some goblin/goblins hanging around your car? Hit the panic button and they scatter.

ForumSurfer
May 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
I have a belly band that I use when running. If I toss my keys in the tight pockets, I have to be wary of this.

Manual door locks were much simpler.

General Geoff
May 29, 2012, 03:35 PM
I have keyless entry on one of my cars, but it's a keypad on the car, not on a remote key fob. Not easiliy manipulated accidentally, and it requires a key code.

Jesse H
May 29, 2012, 03:43 PM
I've returned to my truck one morning at an overnight stay in the hospital to find all doors were unlocked, front windows rolled down, dew on the inside of the windshield!

Usually I have my AR stowed under the rear seat, fortunately even my $200 Raybans were sitting in the console. The front windows roll down when the unlock button is depressed for a few seconds.

Skribs
May 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
I have never accidentally popped the trunk or unlocked my car, except if I pushed the wrong button (and then I was immediately aware of it and able to correct it). Well, there was one time I was driving a company van and popped the hood instead of taking off the parking brake (I don't know why they make me drive, me and cars are like Barny Fife and guns). But I never have had a button go off while in my pocket.

brickeyee
May 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
Another down side to "keyless entry" devices is that there are now devices commonly available that allow a thief to "read" the code from your fob when you lock the vehicle and will allow them to unlock your car after you walk away.

They are all very long rolling code chips that change the actual code after every use (think like over 20 bits).

If you push the button enough times out of range you can lose code sync between the fob and the car and have to reset everything.

The code is around 40 bits long, and changes with every use.
The car is set up to find around 64-128 possible codes around the last code.

tat leaves gives about 2,000,000,000,000 codes for the next opening.

You are NOT going to find it in your lifetime, with all the computers in the world looking.

holdencm9
May 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
Never had that happen, but a good tale of caution. Luckily my trunk only rises up like a half inch when I pop it, so hopefully it wouldn't be readily apparent to a thief.

Outside of New York and NJ, not many people will give you odd looks. NEVER leave a gun in a car.

Ya know, I hear some people talk about having a "trunk gun" and I always wonder about the wisdom of that. Seems like the odds of getting broken into and stolen outweigh any chance of actually needing it to save your life. But that's just me. Sometimes I HAVE to keep a few guns in my trunk though, if I am planning to go to the range after work, and my job has a no-guns policy. I still get nervous though, and park nearby and check on it from the window.

SleazyRider
May 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
I have never accidentally popped the trunk or unlocked my car ... I never have had a button go off while in my pocket.
Nor have I ... until a few days ago. That is precisely the point of my post. Believe me, it can happen! Though I'm going to see about having it temporarily disabled for parking in questionable areas, I'll not leave a firearm in my trunk ever again.

brickeyee
May 29, 2012, 04:23 PM
There are actually fewer different keys to the car than you would believe.

Locksmiths cut every possible key code and make a set of keys up (usually fills about a 3 inch ring most of the way).

All they have to do is start trying till the find the correct one to open a car.

There are usually well under 200 key patterns for each model or keyway.

Skribs
May 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
Brickeye, there's a difference between hardware keys and software keys.

Holden, the trunk gun is usually cheap, something that wouldn't be too big of a loss if the car gets stolen or broken into.

foghornl
May 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
I haven't popped the trunk, but I HAVE set off the alarm a few times...ask Mrs. Foggy how many :o :o :o :o

actully, DON"T ask..her answer is nowhere near "the high road"

stonewall308
May 29, 2012, 05:42 PM
Not only does my car not have keyless entry, it doesn't even have a trunk!

I drive a tacoma with manual locks and manual windows. I love it. The only crappy thing is that you can't get cruise control on a vehicle with manual locks and windows.

Oh well. It is 8 years old with only 83k miles. At this rate I'll be driving it until 2032.

SleazyRider
May 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
... the trunk gun is usually cheap, something that wouldn't be too big of a loss if the car gets stolen or broken into.

I could live with the loss of my Model 12, but having it in the hands of a thief who would likely use it for illicit purposes, well, that's another story. If my carelessness resulted in the unthinkable, I don't believe I'd forgive myself anytime soon.

holdencm9
May 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
I could live with the loss of my Model 12, but having it in the hands of a thief who would likely use it for illicit purposes, well, that's another story. If my carelessness resulted in the unthinkable, I don't believe I'd forgive myself anytime soon.

Agreed, I think as gun owners we all have to make every effort to keep our guns OUT of the hands of criminals. I could live without any of my guns, but I'd hate for them to end up in the wrong hands.

rugerman
May 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
I have keyless entry on my truck but it stays in the truck, the only time I use it is when I know that I will need it to put a package in the truck, normally its in the ashtray. I have always used the key. My wife is the reverse, if she uses my truck or her car its with the fob.

gearhead
May 29, 2012, 08:16 PM
My GTO doesn't even have a key lock cylinder in the trunk. It's a PITA too, I had the battery die once and the booster was in the trunk. I didn't have enough voltage to kick the solenoid and open the trunk to get to it.

rcmodel
May 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
Yes, I have remote key fobs on both our Dodge RAM and Dakota.

Yes, I press the lock button two or three times after I get in the house and take the key fob out of my pants.

I keep pushing it until I am 100% sure I hear the horn honk when it locks.
The I put it down and don't mess with it again until the next morning.

BTW: Remotes are not really keyless entry in my book.
I did have two Ford Thunderbirds in years past with true "keyless entry".
They had little numerical key pads on the door you pressed a code number into.

No way they got unlocked without knowing the code, or breaking & entering.

rc

Hossfly68
May 29, 2012, 08:50 PM
I drive a Jeep with a soft top. Always have. I don't even lock my doors cause some crook would cut the top to get in. I mean, the windows are velcroed and zipped on!

Sig Bill
May 29, 2012, 09:16 PM
My GTO doesn't even have a key lock cylinder in the trunk. It's a PITA too, I had the battery die once and the booster was in the trunk. I didn't have enough voltage to kick the solenoid and open the trunk to get to it.

Been there with my 03 Taurus SES. I left the lights on when I parked in the driveway (daytime) and ran the battery down. I always used the remote and when that didn't work I tried opening the door with the key only to find out the lock is damaged. Stood there WTH, ah yes the trunk, I can open the trunk with the key only to find out I can't push the seat in because they have a locking straps.

Out came the coat hanger wire, duh.

icanthitabarn
May 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
I am down $500 just for replacement remotes on my two cars. :eek: That is five of em, only one was not due to my mistakes. The other one used to pop my trunk, on occasion. The unit is supposed to be lifetime warranted, but they told me not on remotes. The

units are several years old and work great but remotes are not stocked and someday I may be left with no remotes and useless alarms.

orionengnr
May 29, 2012, 11:01 PM
Don't own a car or any four-wheeled conyevance. :)

My bike has a key-fob-thingie, but it has been sitting in my toolbox since I bought it.

O C
May 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
Have a different solution that drives everyone else crazy. I don't lock anything, never have. I know all the reasons why I should, but I just can't make myself take the key out of the lock. On the newer vehicles, I have to throw the keys in the console. Is it a character flaw, or laziness, or stupidity? Have'nt had a house key in 30 years.

JTHunter
May 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
SleazyRider said:To avoid raising eyebrows by carrying a shotgun case through the lobby of the motels at which I stayed, I thought it best to leave the gun locked in the trunk of my car.

What about some "sleight-of-hand"? Break the shotty down and carry it in a bow case instead. Nobody will look twice as it doesn't look like a "gun case".
Hhmm??

evan price
May 30, 2012, 03:02 AM
There are actually fewer different keys to the car than you would believe.

Locksmiths cut every possible key code and make a set of keys up (usually fills about a 3 inch ring most of the way).

All they have to do is start trying till the find the correct one to open a car.

There are usually well under 200 key patterns for each model or keyway.

The locksmiths I've used either had a master key (a sort of uncut key with a sliding tooth that set each tumbler manually...could also be used to 'read' the tumbler and cut the key on the spot) or else they could use a pick and a torsion wrench.

The average thief uses a tool shaped remarkably like a large flatblade screwdriver and/or a rock.

hang fire
May 30, 2012, 03:44 AM
Imagine my relief when I found it safely stowed exactly where I had left it in the back of my trunk.

You must be living rightous, so feel blessed.

crazyjennyblack
May 30, 2012, 04:16 AM
Is it just me, or are those keyless entry thingies more irritating than helpful?

I got rid of mine a long time ago. Not exactly "rid" but I don't carry them. They always do funny things in pockets, and when you carry a wad of keys as big as a teacup chihuahua, it's one more thing you don't need poking you in the thigh.

Honestly, what I find more worrisome is a friend of mine who has keyless entry, remote start, and NO DOOR HANDLES on the outside of his car!!!!:banghead:
At least he doesnt have to worry about locking it, but it's a true pain in the rear to get in if the keys are locked inside....

SleazyRider
May 30, 2012, 04:24 AM
SleazyRider said:

What about some "sleight-of-hand"? Break the shotty down and carry it in a bow case instead. Nobody will look twice as it doesn't look like a "gun case".
Hhmm??
I think you're on to something, JT. Truth be known, I feel like an idiot for not simply breaking it down and storing it in 2 suitcases. (Not to mention the added security that comes along with storing it in the same suitcase as my old underwear. Few people would mess with that.)

FuzzyBunny
May 30, 2012, 05:54 AM
Easier to let the Trunk Monkey out with a key fob..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8oPVVGYQ40

frankmako
May 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
i done this several times with the back glass on my suv.

beatledog7
May 30, 2012, 07:34 AM
I have a similar story involving a garage door remote. I keep a remote in my motorcycle jacket pocket, and on two occasions have managed to trip the remote when putting my jacket down. The first time I did it the garage was open for several hours without me knowing it. The second time I heard the opener kick on and immediately realized what I'd done.

The solution is hanging my jacket just inside the inner door to the garage and making sure the roll-up door is still down before closing the inner door.

While that garage door was up, a potential intruder would have had easy access to my entire house, since I don't usually lock the inner door. Perhaps I should.

speedway
May 30, 2012, 04:05 PM
No keyless entry, no a/c, no power steering.

1990 Mustang LX 5.0.

SleazyRider
May 30, 2012, 07:19 PM
I have a similar story involving a garage door remote. I keep a remote in my motorcycle jacket pocket, and on two occasions have managed to trip the remote when putting my jacket down. The first time I did it the garage was open for several hours without me knowing it. The second time I heard the opener kick on and immediately realized what I'd done.

The solution is hanging my jacket just inside the inner door to the garage and making sure the roll-up door is still down before closing the inner door.

While that garage door was up, a potential intruder would have had easy access to my entire house, since I don't usually lock the inner door. Perhaps I should.
Excellent point, sir, and what I love about this forum.

exavid
May 31, 2012, 01:04 AM
I never leave anything valuable in my car when traveling. A car at a motel says someone is traveling and probably has more goodies in his car than a car parked along the street. It only takes a couple seconds to pop the lock out of the average car trunk. Besides I feel more comfotable with firearm(s) in my motel or hotel room.

brickeyee
May 31, 2012, 11:16 AM
Brickeye, there's a difference between hardware keys and software keys.

you are not going to break the SW key on any of the new rolling codes generators.

They are well over 32 bits long.

The old style keys are cut with far fewer patterns.

Read post #20.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does your car have a keyless entry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!