What are some of the really good "we are armed" signs?

PDA

Skribs
May 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
I've seen a few signs posted in various areas in the past, such as "Guns are accepted, accuracy is appreciated" at a store, or "Tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be prosecuted", etc. What are some of the signs you've used to let potential crooks know that they may be earning a Darwin Award if they break in while someone is home?

If you enjoyed reading about "What are some of the really good "we are armed" signs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
psyopspec
May 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
"Guns are accepted, accuracy is appreciated"

A friend has one of these hanging in his reloading/gun room. While I've occasionally seen the signs you're talking about posted for public view, it's mostly been in rural areas.

For me personally, I keep my profile fairly regular and boring to those who don't know me. I'm a good neighbor, but won't do more than small talk. I don't drive a car with any signage on it, don't wear camo or pro-gun T-shirts if I'm not engaged in an activity where it's required, and I try to keep my gun ownership private. Reason being, that sign my be telling crooks to nominate themselves for a Darwin award while you're there, but the moment you leave it's the home that's nominated, as a target for those same criminals.

Skribs
May 30, 2012, 06:18 PM
I was actually thinking more of putting it on the first wall you'd see if you broke in, overlayed on a target with a very tight grouping. Kind of a "might want to turn around, mister" type of deal.

abq87120
May 30, 2012, 06:41 PM
"Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."

Crashbox
May 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
"GUNS ARE WELCOME ON PREMISES

Please keep all weapons holstered unless need arises. In such a case, judicious marksmanship is appreciated."

My absolute favorite, and I think I"ll order some.

ETA: For my home, I do have a sign "FORGET 911/WE CALL THE MORGUE" with a silhouette of a handgun in the middle. This is adjacent to my "NO SOLICITING" sign because I got sick and tired of people disrespecting said anti-soliciting sign.

Texan Scott
May 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
I personally would avoid anything that i find funny or cool- because attorneys for the family of a recently deceased felon will make it look flippant, aggressive, and irresponsible to a jury. ("We don't call 9-1-1, we call 3-5-7", etc.)
I would think a couple of conspicuously placed, large, foil-seal NRA/ TSRA stickers on the screen doors/ windows would be understood, unless the intruder is really determined or really stupid. (in which case, he may have already given up trying to read the other sign, becuase that a-c-c-u-r-a- something word is awful long....)

Omaney
May 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
"GUNS ARE WELCOME ON PREMISES

Please keep all weapons holstered unless need arises. In such a case, judicious marksmanship is appreciated."

My absolute favorite, and I think I"ll order some.

Ok I like this one. Gotta hit the google.

SharpsDressedMan
May 30, 2012, 06:56 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05366.jpg

SharpsDressedMan
May 30, 2012, 06:57 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05367.jpg

btg3
May 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
I worked in Texas a awhile back and picked up a do-dad with a tiny revolver affixed to a cut out in the shape of the state which states: " In Texas, we don't call 911."

Steel Horse Rider
May 30, 2012, 07:05 PM
Not necessarily what you were asking for but one of the funniest signs concerning guns was one I saw on a campground store door in Raton New, Mexico about thirty years ago. It read "Please remove mask and unload gun before entering store".

AlaskaMan
May 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
Seen a few places that had foot/yardage signs on the driveway.

One of my neighbors has a "YOU LOOT/I SHOOT" prominently displayed.

I prefer the simplicity of this:

Sam1911
May 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
What are some of the signs you've used to let potential crooks know that they may be earning a Darwin Award if they break in while someone is home?

The same ones I use to make sure they know there are valuable firearms stored inside when I'm NOT home.

Is this a trick question?

...or just juvenile humor hour?

Skribs
May 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
Sam, that's why I was thinking about inside the door, first thing you'd see if you broke in would be a target with a small group with something clearly stating that they are suspending their right to safety until they cease their forcible crime. Something that people wouldn't see unless they did break in.

I'm also on a 3rd floor condo, so people aren't likely to see it passing by.

Sam1911
May 30, 2012, 07:49 PM
Seriously? Warning signs to let house-breakers know they might get shot? As part of a serious defensive strategy?

Naah. Good locks, good lighting. Early warning systems. Dog if possible. A plan.

If they need to know they might get shot -- and they don't already realize that there's a good chance they might get shot, 'cause they're like housebreakers and stuff? -- they'll find out soon enough.

I'm not putting up hoo-rah posters around my house. Tacky and pointless.

I don't dial 911!
Survivors will be shot AGAIN!
If you're found here tonight, you'll be found here tomorrow!
Keep honking, driver is reloading!
I'm a really bad dude and you should be afraid of me 'cause I have this sign!

I quit thinking those signs and slogans were cute back in highschool. I don't recall ever believing they had some kind of legitimate function.

altitude_19
May 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
I did something like this by accident once. I walked around the block with a friend. It was LITERALLY the only time I have ever left my front door unlocked when leaving the house. I came back to find my next door neighbor looking for me. He told me some guy had actually opened my front door and taken a step inside. Turns out he was looking for the previous owner (friend of his) and turned around when he saw a silhouette target with a double tap about where the sternum would be. Of course all my guns were locked up. But no, I don't do this on purpose. No sense in advertising the cool toys there are to steal when I'm not home.

Steve CT
May 30, 2012, 08:11 PM
Why in the world would I give someone advance notice of what will happen if they come through a locked door or window? Once they DO come through the door/window, they may get another warning, circumstances permitting.

GCMkc
May 30, 2012, 08:30 PM
Was always a fan of the "Steal here, die here" stickers. Straight to the point. :evil:

birdshot8's
May 30, 2012, 08:35 PM
Hang some police barricad tape on your porch and then make a chalk outline of the upper body hanging out the front door. A little taco sauce would complete the effect.

rcmodel
May 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
The only signs I would think of having on my house are signs the A-1 Alarm Company I had years ago left on the windows.

All those cute "I shoot first & ask questions later" type sign BS is asking for legal trouble if you do have to shoot.

Not to mention, advertising there are things including guns in the house to steal.

Bad idea all the way around!

rc

ball3006
May 30, 2012, 08:43 PM
I have a sign at my camp that is half way down the driveway. It says "if you can read this, you are in range".......You have to pass by two no tresspassing signs before you come to it.....and, you can't see it from the road.....chris3

ThorinNNY
May 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
Deleted by O.P

BK
May 30, 2012, 09:01 PM
While I don't see the point of posting a sign, I've always thought this was one of the better ones.

http://funcorner.eu/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/if-you-are-found-here-tonight-you-will-be-found-here-tomorrow.jpg

bergmen
May 30, 2012, 09:31 PM
I'm not advocating this sign (I agree that they are not cool) but I find this one kind of nifty:

http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/4548/2075721760053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

HGUNHNTR
May 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
I quit thinking those signs and slogans were cute back in highschool. I don't recall ever believing they had some kind of legitimate function.

+1, but some people never evolve beyond highschool/.

statelineblues
May 30, 2012, 10:30 PM
Sign I saw when I was living in El Paso many years ago -

"Trespassers will be shot or prosecuted depending on accuracy"

StrutStopper
May 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
Somebody gave me a sign that said something like 'This premisis is guarded by shotgun 3 nights a week. You guess which ones'. I don't remember exactly what it says, its buried in the garage somewhere. I wouldn't hang it up.

T Bran
May 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
I dont beleive in advertising that dirtbags can stock up in any particular location.
Not that I havent see some pretty funny stuff in my time but never saw a need to jump on that bandwagon.
T

Ed N.
May 30, 2012, 10:49 PM
I've grown tired of most of these signs over the years. But I did see a trespass warning on a gate last year that I really liked:

The best way to meet God
is through prayer.
But trespassing here
will be faster.

jon_in_wv
May 30, 2012, 10:57 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Beware-Guard-Boxer-Duty-Wall-Sign-Laminate-Plastic-Made-USA-Dog-Fun-/00/s/MzcwWDU5NA==/$(KGrHqR,!g4E8rVqQ7,lBPY61rtyE!~~60_3.GIF

Here is the only sign on my house. The guns signs are funny, but I wouldn't put one on my house.

M2 Carbine
May 30, 2012, 11:18 PM
This one has been in the front window for 20-25 years.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Warning.jpg

I look on it as a public service for dumb criminals. In order to read the sign the criminal has already been on my property for at least a hundred yards. The sign is a final reminder to the criminal that they have made a bad mistake.

Owen Sparks
May 30, 2012, 11:32 PM
Semi-related but I saw a sticker on a custom Harley chopper the other day that said:

WARNING If you value your life as much as I value this bike, you won't <deleted> with it.

Onward Allusion
May 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
This wasn't a sign per se...

I worked with a lady who's husband, a LEO, had passed. Her house started getting broken into on a regular basis afterward. Sometimes it was burglary, other times it was vandalism. My co-worker knew how to shoot, so she plastered a couple of B-27R's on her front & back door with the 10x shot out. She never had another issue after that.

karateclarinet
May 30, 2012, 11:50 PM
When my parents and I moved into our new home during my early teens, the front door already had a sticker on the window:

Forget the dog. Beware of owner.

It had a picture of a revolver being looked at from the business end.

Since my mom hates guns, it didn't stay up long. Of course, thinking about it now, I wouldn't want it to stay up due to possible legal issues.

Chip1wa
May 31, 2012, 12:03 AM
I lamenated a full sized silouette man target (B-29?) after my Mom completely shot it up. A fist sized ragged hole between the eyes, and a saucer sized blow out jagged hole right at the sternum.

We didn't plaster it on the front door of the house to advertise, but she does keep it attached to the outside of her locked bedroom door while she's sleeping.

Dirty

Rail Driver
May 31, 2012, 12:07 AM
I collect gun related stickers - they are all over my work bench in my "gun room" where I store my ammo, parts and accessories.

I'm running out of room on the desk, and I've been thinking about branching out to signs of this nature. (Oh, if anyone has any gun related stickers they want to get rid of or have no use for, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to send a SASE for them :D I still have some real estate to cover)

Lonestar49
May 31, 2012, 12:42 AM

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/Guarddog.jpg

Ls

303tom
May 31, 2012, 12:54 AM
This is my Favorite...............

Fishslayer
May 31, 2012, 02:59 AM
Why give away the element of surprise?:confused:

LawofThirds
May 31, 2012, 04:02 AM
I saw one that looked nicely official, had some "pursuant to law code xx.x.xxxxx-x" stuff on it that said that the monitoring security company had legal right to use deadly force if trespass was discovered. I think they lifted the wording from an area 51 base sign though...

Still looked pretty officialesque.

Tipro
May 31, 2012, 08:03 AM
Several years ago I moved into a house that had stickers placed on all the doors and in some windows by the previous tenants (college frat boys). The stickers read "Protected by Smith & Wesson," and were designed to mock those stickers advertising your electronic home security system (Brinks or CPI and whatnot). I didn't own a gun then, much less a S&W, but I left em up there.

Jeremiah10:23
May 31, 2012, 08:12 AM
The problem with these signs is that they can be used by a prosecutor to show that you have a vigilante attitude and that cannot bode well.

beatledog7
May 31, 2012, 08:20 AM
Signs such as these remind me of the big decals that we used to see (not as much anymore) on cars that essentially say, "Please steal my very expensive stereo."

And the legal risks....no thanks to proclaiming via some "clever" sign that I'm looking for a reason to shoot someone.

Sam1911
May 31, 2012, 08:31 AM
The problem with these signs is that they can be used by a prosecutor to show that you have a vigilante attitude and that cannot bode well.

Actually, the prosecutor would hardly have to make a statement at all about them. Merely making sure that the jury sees your moto signs will do his work for him. A trial is a test of believability/credibility/empathy.

Your defense attorney will have you sitting in court in your best suit, with a fresh haircut and shave, and wishing he could arrange for a halo to appear over your head.

When the prosecutor holds up your "GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, I DO!" sign in the courtroom, raises an eyebrow toward the jury, with a knowing "tisk-tisk," you just took a credibility hit.

Lowbrow, sophomoric humor has its place, don't get me wrong, but mixing knuckle-dragging blood-lust yuk-yuks with the real-world possibility of a lethal force encounter is just walking around with your head in a noose.

Loosedhorse
May 31, 2012, 08:40 AM
http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/7/8/0/7/9/5/my-neighbor-is-unarmed-39219775365.jpeg

Nothing blood-thirsty about it! :D

I don't like to advertize to potential thieves "the guns are here, come back when we're away." But if I did want to hang a sign, a simple target with all 10-X hits says everything I'd want to say.

crossrhodes
May 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
The "Armed Neighborhood Watch" signs in our area seem to work. After eight B&E's in our neighborhood the signs went up on almost every property owners land and we haven't had much trouble since. Mind you, it says Armed and no mention of a firearm, what you imply is your own thought. We live in a very rural area and the local Sheriff has a large area to patrol and response time or LEO presence is sparse. It has worked for our area but may not work for others and can be an invitation for the criminally minded Darwin award seekers in other areas.

ChCx2744
May 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
I would rather spend my money on some new bolt lock plates with really long screws. Maybe re-enforce my door frames with steel and put some motion sensing lights around the perimeter. IMO, the only sign worth putting out is one of those hexagon alarm system signs. Anything that hints that there are guns in the house are a no-no to me.

Mp7
May 31, 2012, 09:12 AM
a while ago sum1 here quoted a sign mounted on a gate 3-400 yards from the farm house.

What the paint-relics on the sign, nearly obliterated by bulletholes, sad was:
"YOU ARE NOW WITHIN RANGE"

:)

napjerk
May 31, 2012, 09:19 AM
http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/dog-has-a-gun-refuses-to-take-medication-danger-sign.jpg

303tom
May 31, 2012, 10:16 AM
http://signxing.com/gun-signs-photo-album/

M2 Carbine
May 31, 2012, 10:51 AM
Signs/stickers can have the desired effect.

Some years ago when I got to work a co-worker said, "I thought about you last week".

Me, "How so?"

Co-worker, "While driving through Houston a car cut me off. I sped up to give the driver a hard time. As I got close I saw a "Protected by Smith and Wesson" sticker on the back window.
I thought, Suppose I'm about to give a little bit of road rage to someone like you? I could very well end up with a bullet between my eyes.
I backed off. I decided I wasn't as mad at that driver as I first thought I was."

bluethunder1962
May 31, 2012, 10:57 AM
Is there any good place to buy these. they are all great and I think they work.

Rail Driver
May 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
<deleted>
I don't think the signs have any appreciable effect other than to let crooks know you have guns in the house - but they make good man-cave decor.

Jeremiah10:23
May 31, 2012, 12:23 PM
Actually, the prosecutor would hardly have to make a statement at all about them. Merely making sure that the jury sees your moto signs will do his work for him. A trial is a test of believability/credibility/empathy.

Your defense attorney will have you sitting in court in your best suit, with a fresh haircut and shave, and wishing he could arrange for a halo to appear over your head.

When the prosecutor holds up your "GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, I DO!" sign in the courtroom, raises an eyebrow toward the jury, with a knowing "tisk-tisk," you just took a credibility hit.

Lowbrow, sophomoric humor has its place, don't get me wrong, but mixing knuckle-dragging blood-lust yuk-yuks with the real-world possibility of a lethal force encounter is just walking around with your head in a noose.
I agree.

I guess you could say we need to look beyond humor to see what repercussions there might be.

Sam1911
May 31, 2012, 12:27 PM
[Let's keep it polite, guys. Thx.]

Tim the student
May 31, 2012, 12:28 PM
I have a neighbor that has a sign that reads "I'd rather shoot a thief than a pheasant" hanging off his fence.

Sam1911
May 31, 2012, 12:29 PM
I have a neighbor that has a sign that reads "I'd rather shoot a thief than a pheasant" hanging off his fence.

Ohhh...no. :eek: That's really poor.

Ryanxia
May 31, 2012, 12:38 PM
I think many people are missing the point, the OP didn't ask 'will you put signs up in YOUR house?' he asked what are some good sign suggestions? If that's what he wants to do don't jump all over him.

I mostly say this because now I want to get a chuckle out of some of the other signs out there I haven't seen yet. :D

Oh and there have been good points regarding legalities if you have these signs up and have to use deadly force on an intruder.

Skribs
May 31, 2012, 12:38 PM
For those saying not to do this, I think there's a scale, from:
-Suggesting you leave the property, because the owner is prepared to defend himself
-Hinting that someone might get shot
-Threatening that if you step foot on the property, you will get shot
-"Make my day"

If I did post something, it would be something along the first, which would be harder for a prosecutor to use (and could even potentially be used by my defense to say "he tried to warn the home invader, and give him an out"). At least, that's what I'd say if I were a defense attorney.

As to "I'd rather not let them know"...I think the debate between surprise and deterrence is probably as big, if not bigger, than caliber wars, 1911 vs. polymer, revolver vs. semi-auto, etc. As a good practicioner of the devil's advocate stance, I see both sides very well, and both have their merits.

Sam, I will agree, the pheasant thing seemed over the top.

Iggy
May 31, 2012, 12:56 PM
The first warning a BG is gonna get at my place is the sound of the firing pin hitting the primer.:cool:

SharpsDressedMan
May 31, 2012, 01:21 PM
I used to be timid regarding my status as a right winger, being armed, being a (former) cop, owning guns, enjoying shooting, and considerate of what other people, maybe the mainstream peaceful folk thought. Now not so much. Life is too short for me to apologize for my life and involvement with firearms. If they don't like my pro-gun lifestyle, they can backoff, grumble to themselves, or get in my face if they want. I will no longer give the impression that I am apolgizing, weak about my convictions, or care about what the simpleminded think. Some people were born to be enemies of those who choose to arm and defend themselves, so I acknowledge that I have political as well as physically dangerous enemies, and I am ready to meet them head on. Since I have often displayed gun related vanity plates on my vehicles, I think people really ARE nicer in traffic. I don't just make a statement on the wall, I drive it down the street. Cops have never even pulled me over out of curiosity, probably thinking, "Man, I don't EVEN need THAT today." Life is good.................http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC06250.jpg

Claude Clay
May 31, 2012, 01:40 PM
"Trespassers will be shot or prosecuted depending on whether i got my eyeglasses before the gun"

...i do not advertise either; why let them know and why give the man any ammunition n court

Fish Miner
May 31, 2012, 01:47 PM
Not so much a warning, but kind of. "My other auto is a 1911"
Bumper sticker...

semperfi63
May 31, 2012, 01:50 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Beware-Guard-Boxer-Duty-Wall-Sign-Laminate-Plastic-Made-USA-Dog-Fun-/00/s/MzcwWDU5NA==/$(KGrHqR,!g4E8rVqQ7,lBPY61rtyE!~~60_3.GIF

Here is the only sign on my house. The guns signs are funny, but I wouldn't put one on my house.
so basically advertising a risk of drowning by slobber?

Certaindeaf
May 31, 2012, 01:58 PM
I saw a nice big dually tooling along right next to me with a pink Browning symbol.. you know, the deer head. I thought that that was pretty subtle and for those in the know. Yep, it turned out that a good looking lass was driving that rig, as would be expected.

FROGO207
May 31, 2012, 02:12 PM
All around the yard are signs of firearm activity. I like to shoot steel targets with AP ammo they are piled around here and there. Car doors full of bullet holes 55 gallon drums that are more hole that barrel etc. I even have a redneck collander.:D That would be a 5 gallon cooking pot with about a gazillion holes shot in it.:cool: No signage however unless the NRA LIFE sticker on the back window of the Jeep that you can look in and see about 50 shot up targets piled there.

I once had a lady friend that had a well worn T shirt that had a revolver silhouette and had "I am PMSing and own a pair of 38's. You have a problem with that?" on it.

Sig Bill
May 31, 2012, 02:15 PM
How about:

"In case of home invasion the owner will call, 1-454-yer-gone"

:D

ForumSurfer
May 31, 2012, 02:36 PM
A guy in my town had several of them. The only reason I saw them was because he made the news when his home was broken into and he was shot before getting out of bed.

I see the humor in them, but I'll pass. I don't see them as a deterrent on any level.

Kleanbore
May 31, 2012, 02:37 PM
Posted by skribs: What are some of the signs you've used to let potential crooks know that they may be earning a Darwin Award if they break in while someone is home?None, and there never will be any.

First, I do not want any indication that there may be a firearm or firearms in the house for the taking.

Second, I do not want to create any evidence that could be used against me to indicate (1) that I am in any way predisposed to the use of a firearm against anyone else; or (2) that I thought there to be any humor in the idea of shooting someone.

He or he who has such a sign and who returns to find his or her firearms missing will undoubtedly question the judgment of having put up such a sign. He or she who returns home to find criminals in the house in possession of the firearms will undoubtedly conclude that that judgment was ill advised. And if there is a shooting, the sign will not be something that someone would want to have around during the investigation, not to mention any subsequent trial.

BAD idea.

Certaindeaf
May 31, 2012, 03:01 PM
Yet most of our guns are factory stamped "widowmaker" or somesuch.

danweasel
May 31, 2012, 03:25 PM
I would say they are more appropriate for a business than your residence. I saw a pawn shop with this one:

"If you think there is anything in here worth stealing we will sing at your funeral".

I think the difference is that a criminal already knows a business has nice stuff inside, and also has a good idea when no one will be there. So it might deter someone.

In Fairbanks you see signs all the time saying please remove masks before entering store. But they are serious. It's pretty cold up there.

altitude_19
May 31, 2012, 03:54 PM
Yet most of our guns are factory stamped "widowmaker" or somesuch.
Actually, they are stamped XD, 325, 327, 340, Mark III, Mini 14...I'm not sure you're right on this one.

B!ngo
May 31, 2012, 09:32 PM
I would rather spend my money on some new bolt lock plates with really long screws. Maybe re-enforce my door frames with steel and put some motion sensing lights around the perimeter. IMO, the only sign worth putting out is one of those hexagon alarm system signs. Anything that hints that there are guns in the house are a no-no to me.
Exactly. When there was a round of break-ins (car contents, bikes out of garages, etc.) in our otherwise bucolic neighborhood, I installed 4 high-definition night-vision cameras outdoors (facing only my property and entrance-ways; I don't want to be seen as tracking people driving on the public street) and a monitored alarm system.
Since I travel often leaving my wife home with our rather big rescue dog, it seemed like the right thing. Obviously not having any break-ins proves nothing, but I suspect it is an excellent deterrent.
More money than a sign, but likely more value.
B

Certaindeaf
May 31, 2012, 09:51 PM
A crushed pbr can has always served me well. Knock on wood.

CZguy
May 31, 2012, 11:39 PM

I thought that this post summed it up very nicely. Make your home as hard as you can, in stealth mode. Good common sense.

psyopspec
June 1, 2012, 12:02 AM
A crushed pbr can has always served me well. Knock on wood.

Do they still give a free .22 rifle if you send in the UPCs from 5 cases?

Warp
June 1, 2012, 12:20 AM
Seriously? Warning signs to let house-breakers know they might get shot? As part of a serious defensive strategy?

Naah. Good locks, good lighting. Early warning systems. Dog if possible. A plan.

If they need to know they might get shot -- and they don't already realize that there's a good chance they might get shot, 'cause they're like housebreakers and stuff? -- they'll find out soon enough.

I'm not putting up hoo-rah posters around my house. Tacky and pointless.

I don't dial 911!
Survivors will be shot AGAIN!
If you're found here tonight, you'll be found here tomorrow!
Keep honking, driver is reloading!
I'm a really bad dude and you should be afraid of me 'cause I have this sign!

They have a legitimate function.

They can be pointed to/photographed and used to help make you look bad if, God forbid, you ever have to shoot somebody in self defense.

I won't even put up a Beware of dog sign. Mine says Dog on premises. Of course, if you see him he'll let you know that you need to beware in the event that you were not sure.

You are right on. Good exterior lighting, locks, reinforced door jambs (I just picked up door clubs for every door as well), a locally monitored alarm system, big dog (or any dog or dogs), windows and doors that are visible and not shrouded or hidden by landscaping, landscaping that is a PITA to walk through because it is pointy, sharp and generally unpleasant, especially under windows...these things go a long way. Last line of defense, an armed homeowner.

Warp
June 1, 2012, 12:23 AM
Why give away the element of surprise?:confused:

The logical response to this would be that deterrence is a far greater outcome. Would you rather send them on to the next house/business, or have them force you into shooting them?

Amadeus
June 1, 2012, 01:32 AM
I think my favorite 'warning' sign was posted just inside the entrance to an occult/wiccan store. This was not one of those new-age shops where one buys a seashell and some Yanni cds. This shop catered to practicing witches.

The sign said, "Bad things happen to people who steal from us."

Deus Machina
June 1, 2012, 02:20 AM
Why give away the element of surprise?
The element of surprise goes to the person pointing a gun first. Deterrence is a more reliable bet.

Anyway... A local used car lot's office has a sign that says "Be safe. We have guns and will shoot you. Rob somewhere else."

A hobby shop I used to buy my comics (and my first set of dice) had a "Hobbies are not our only pastime." sign, with a target beneath.

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/615259436/my_gun_my_right_shirt.jpg?side=Back&color=White&height=240&width=240 and plenty of anti-Obama stuff are in the Cafepress section my current favored comic shop runs.

And you thought D&D geeks weren't worthwhile. :)

M1key
June 1, 2012, 02:28 AM
Surprised no one posted this one. I thought it rather spontaneous and clever...

M

FruitCake
June 1, 2012, 06:24 AM
Growing up my father always had a picture of a revolver pointing at you at our front door.

Ya, its not a good idea to advertise but no need for alot of you to sit here and cry about it and tell others to grow up. Just explain why its not good.

No need to get your pants in a bunch.

fatcat4620
June 1, 2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I want to see more funny signs and less crybaby.

Sam1911
June 1, 2012, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I want to see more funny signs and less crybaby.

As the OP has suggested that he was attempting a legitimate purpose for this, not yuk-yuks, "funny" signs isn't the point.

As there have been (understandably) few suggestions that really met that need (for seemingly obvious reasons) let's not indulge comedy hour any further.

If you enjoyed reading about "What are some of the really good "we are armed" signs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!