Wild West Guns getting a TV Show?

PDA

danweasel
May 31, 2012, 02:18 PM
I heard it but I can't remember where. Is it true?

I know WWG gets a lot of flack for the way they do business. I have actually always liked dealing with them. Then again I have a thick skin and actually enjoy "gruff to the point of comedy" as a customer service technique. Honestly though, Ken a WWG helped me out more than once and when he found out I was active duty, gave me a pretty sweet discount on some 7.62x39. Which in ammo-expensive Alaska is no small thing.

Either way it can't be as horrible as Sons of Guns or that other one. Can it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Wild West Guns getting a TV Show?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ryanxia
May 31, 2012, 03:16 PM
I assume this is a local gun shop you're talking about?

Capybara
May 31, 2012, 03:22 PM
I've owned a television production company since 1988. Just realize that making entertaining television and running a real gun business are two separate, and distinct things. What you see on the two Discovery gun shows has very little to do with how either of those businesses function in real life.

If the gun shop you are talking about is getting a show, rest assured that producer/writers are shaping what will happen, be shot and be edited into a show. Keep telling yourself, "if its on TV, its fake." Repeat it over and over, like a mantra, then you will be free to enjoy all television shows for what they are, brainless entertainment, not reality. Everything is cooked, planned out and written beforehand. Real life is incredibly boring on television.

Shadow 7D
May 31, 2012, 03:33 PM
The part I liked was when the their producers put out the call for "real Alaskan gun nuts"
yeah, nice place, but, except for very FEW items, anywhere else beats their price, they tend to be high, only carry new, or HIGH end collector guns, that said, nice place to look around they have some really interesting guns for sale, just way outside my price range.

But, then I'm kinda fond of Gun Runners, little hole in the wall shop, stacked to the ceiling with guns, They usually will take the time to get an answer, Troy and Neils are pretty knowledgeable, and more than happy to throw the books at you and show you or let you look the gun up. And then you have Troy....
Neils keeps saying he needs to get laid, but then he'd be happy and that'd scare the customers off.

rcmodel
May 31, 2012, 03:37 PM
The thing that amazes me is how the two gun shops in the stupid TV shows think it can help their business's to be portrayed a a jerk on one show, and I'm not sure what on the other one.

Not to mention, all the "gunsmiths" act like they went to school on the short bus.

I'd think showing skilled gunsmiths with enough brains to come in out of the rain would be better for business!

rc

Wil Terry
May 31, 2012, 04:38 PM
THE owner of WWG has a reputation of playing fast and easy with the truth. I have heard and seen him flat-out lie to folks to relieve 'em of their money.

rellascout
May 31, 2012, 05:24 PM
Jim West...? You have seen Jim West lie to customers?

jeepnik
May 31, 2012, 07:15 PM
Now I admit I haven't been privy to all of WWG's dealings with others. But, based on my own experience, they've always been honest and fair. You can't say anything better about ANY company.

I suspect the complaints may come from folks that would complain if the Dr. resusitated them instead of letting them die.

JohnBT
May 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
Reality tv. We get to watch Ken take a shower and shave. My eyes, my eyes. :)

rellascout
June 1, 2012, 10:49 AM
Reality tv. We get to watch Ken take a shower and shave. My eyes, my eyes.

The Horror.... The Horror!!!!

danweasel
June 1, 2012, 12:12 PM
WildhopefullytheyhavetheworldsgreatestblurringsoftwareAlaska?

SO:

Nobody has heard about a possible show though? I think I might be going crazy...

Yeah of course reality TV is fake and lame. I just think that this would be a much more interesting show to feature than Red Jacket making shotgun mounted tasers and tacticool Thompsons (with a love story!) or that other show with the jerk and his jailbait daughter. It'll most likely suck, but hopefully it will be watchable. Unlike the current ones.

Alaskan
June 1, 2012, 06:21 PM
From ADN website

The producers of yet another new Alaska-based reality show will hold a casting call all day Saturday at Wild West Guns in Anchorage. Their hope: Discovering people with big personalities and quirky characters to showcase on the series.
The casting call is from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the gun shop, 71 Homer Drive. People who can’t make it can email their photo and a description of themselves to alaskacasting2012@gmail.com.
The production company behind the show, Jupiter Entertainment, also produced “Sons of Guns” for Discovery Channel, said co-executive producer Hank Stepleton.
The Alaska show is a “docu-series” centered around Wild West Guns but will feature a variety of Alaska-based activities and locations. Expect a mix of hunting, gold-mining, fishing.
“I would love a crusty gold miner,” he said. “I would love an Alaskan couple who is going to get married this summer that would like to have their wedding featured.”
A middle school or high school girl who plans to go hunting with her father as a rite of passage would also work, Stepleton said. “I would love a female lumberjack.”
The show is expected to air in November on a "major cable network," Stepleton said. He refused to say which one.
The series title is also under wraps. “It will be something with 'Alaska' in it. It will be something with 'guns' in it, but right now it’s untitled," the producer said.

Read more here: http://community.adn.com/adn/blog/121014#storylink=cpy

Cosmoline
June 1, 2012, 07:45 PM
They're being mum about exactly what this series is or even if it will happen. The producer's idea of "crazy Alaska" included getting married or teaching your daughter to shoot. Which tells you a lot about how weird their universe is.

We've been getting a lot more Hollywood attention since the tax breaks came into effect and Palin emerged. They filmed a thriller right in town last fall and did a Drew Barrymore one before that. Some dude called David Arquette was getting a hot dog right here the other week for his TV show. Lots of Japanese film crews, too.

I'm kinda fond of Gun Runners,

Me too. Ammo Can is also nice. If the film crew really wanted to show Alaskan gun owners, they would swing through those and Great Northern as well. But then again WWG and Hollywood were probably made to go together.

Shadow 7D
June 3, 2012, 05:34 AM
Ah, yeah, I make the rounds
hell if the producers want personality, they would get Neils and Troy, course, I rather suspect that their response would involved a price figure and some rather NON THR language. As for Crazy Alaska, um they could hit up ArticMan, or the whach-ma-call it blues festival in Talkeetna? or say the AK Collectors get together, which I've really been meaning to make one of these years, course the collectors probably wouldn't be so hot to get their faces on TV...

EddieNFL
June 3, 2012, 07:19 PM
Keep telling yourself, "if its on TV, its fake."

Well, that's a disappointment! Next, someone will tell me politicians lie. :cuss:

EddieNFL
June 3, 2012, 07:22 PM
I refuse to watch "reality" shows, firearm related or otherwise. Some folks say they have to create the drama to make it interesting. I say bull manure. I used watch Norm Abrams on New Yanlee Workshop (think that was the name) craft some beautiful furniture. No drama, no acting, just explaining what he did...and I don't woodwork. Barely know how to operate a hammer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wild West Guns getting a TV Show?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!