Water expansion test part 2

PDA

Steve H
May 31, 2012, 06:39 PM
It worked.

32 gallon trash can full to the top with water. Shot from 5 feet above the water.

230 gr. .45 Winchester Ranger "T - Series" & the same on the right but +P

If you enjoyed reading about "Water expansion test part 2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
May 31, 2012, 07:11 PM
Ouch.

Those look really cool.

How much water did you get back in the face?

Steve H
May 31, 2012, 07:22 PM
How much water did you get back in the face?

None............the top of the trash can was about a foot below the edge of the deck. I put a 4' X 4' chunk of 3/4" plywood between me and the rail. My arm hardly got wet.

TurtlePhish
May 31, 2012, 07:31 PM
Good planning, there. Think it'd work with a rifle?

Steve H
May 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
Think it'd work with a rifle?

I was shooting my 4" XD. I would think any rifle would be a total different outcome. One you would not want. I figure (rough guess) that load was leaving the barrel at about 1000 fps. Most center fire rifles are a lot faster and might need more water depth to slow down the bullet. Maybe the experts can give better info.

wkumatt
May 31, 2012, 08:03 PM
They've tried this with a rifle on mythbusters. If memory serves they did .223, .308, and .50 bmg. In all of them the bullet disintegrated in the first few inches of water. They contended that super sonic rounds would disintegrate with the sudden decceleration.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Ben86
May 31, 2012, 08:16 PM
That's cool. Did you use a metal or plastic trash can. I thought about using a plastic trashcan, but am worried the hydrostatic pressure would destroy it.

Keep in mind that water expansion results are most often more fantastic than actual results in living tissue, but it's still a good indicator.

Steve H
May 31, 2012, 08:28 PM
That's cool. Did you use a metal or plastic trash can. I thought about using a plastic trashcan, but am worried the hydrostatic pressure would destroy it.

Keep in mind that water expansion results are most often more fantastic than actual results in living tissue, but it's still a good indicator.

I used an OLD plastic trash can............no damage to it at all.

The one thing that surprise me a lot is how much more the +P peeled back and behind the base of the bullet

firesky101
June 1, 2012, 03:26 AM
They've tried this with a rifle on mythbusters. If memory serves they did .223, .308, and .50 bmg. In all of them the bullet disintegrated in the first few inches of water. They contended that super sonic rounds would disintegrate with the sudden decceleration.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2
This, but I would be worried about all that energy breaking a plastic trash can with a rifle round.

Ben86
June 3, 2012, 11:04 AM
The one thing that surprise me a lot is how much more the +P peeled back and behind the base of the bullet

That little extra boost of velocity does speed up expansion.

CountryUgly
June 3, 2012, 12:44 PM
Cool....

If you enjoyed reading about "Water expansion test part 2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!