So, how do you pay for your hobby of guns?

PDA

SilentStalker
May 31, 2012, 11:08 PM
Ok, I have some of my most sought after guns in my collection but as always I want more and then I want to change some things on what I have and then I want to SBR a d buy a silencer for some etc. You get the idea, then there is getting a safe to house all of these things and then ammo, tools, optics, etc. This crap is really expensive. I figure I have well I am not going to say how much money I probably have in mine and I am far from finished on the things I have. I mean I figure by the time I bought the ones I have, finished them out, got the others that I want, buy a safe, tools, etc the. I could easily spend $30k on this crap and I have nowhere near what I am sure some of you have. It has taken me years to get what little I have and now it is safe buying time which will eat up a ton of cash for many more months etc. How in the world ^^^do you guys pay for it all? I mean seriously, course it doesn't help that I don't make but $30k a year which bothers me at times considering what I know and then with my two degrees but I also feel very blessed to have such a wonderful job these days so you know. Anyways I am wondering how you guys fuel your hobby. Either you all have good jobs, came into money, got lucky, are retired or something. So let's hear it lol. How ^^^do you do it?

If you enjoyed reading about "So, how do you pay for your hobby of guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyeo098
May 31, 2012, 11:12 PM
I do programming. Computers are my thing.
Gun show next weekend. Nations gun show! There goes my savings :D

musicman10_1
May 31, 2012, 11:21 PM
I built a nice guitar collection over the last 25 years and as my interests have moved from playing guitar to shooting guns I have been slowly selling guitars and music gear to fund guns and ammo.

The problem for me is that the more I get the more I want and so I guess I'm going to have to get a second job or something.

Certaindeaf
May 31, 2012, 11:25 PM
Slackjaw in training. I pick up cans.

hAkron
May 31, 2012, 11:26 PM
I collect cheap stuff, and I try to never sell it or trade it. I used to buy all new stuff and I wasn't good at finding deals, now I research constantly to know what I'm looking for and what it should cost when I find it. I seldom buy new stuff (but sometimes I will). I scour the local gun stores, gun shows, and online venues. Know what you want, know what it's worth, wait for a deal, be ready to buy it when you see it. Also learn how to bargain.

Endless money won't complete your collection any quicker, it will just make it much bigger and crazier.

browningguy
May 31, 2012, 11:29 PM
Well my kids are both out of college and on their own now, so that was about a $40k per year pay raise right there.

Warp
May 31, 2012, 11:30 PM
I don't have any other 'hobbies' that are near as expensive.

I only buy one or two guns a year.

My single most expensive gun, purchased this month, was $625.

Ian
May 31, 2012, 11:31 PM
Bachelor with a good paying job.

HGUNHNTR
May 31, 2012, 11:33 PM
I'm a patent broker.

whetrock
May 31, 2012, 11:35 PM
I'm a small business owner (A cutlery store named Zane's knives) and while I'm no success story yet I find a way to keep a bit of money tucked away for guns, ammo, reloading gear and of course knives.

Scuba_Steve
May 31, 2012, 11:39 PM
57 years old, self employed, Kids are grown and married. House and cars are paid off. No loan or CC debt whatsoever, just a matter of balance in investing for retirement and spending for enjoyment today.

jhop73
May 31, 2012, 11:46 PM
The Wife and I are "DINKS" Dual Income No Kids

burrhead
May 31, 2012, 11:58 PM
Could be worse, you could be SERIOUSLY into fishing. Trust me, guns are cheaper. As to how I afford it, Iím retired with no debt (never make payments on a car, boat or anything else thatís not real estate) and have built up my collection over the last 35+ years. Buy quality a little at a time as you can afford it. :)

Certaindeaf
June 1, 2012, 12:02 AM
^
I heard they're going to ban fishsticks pretty soon.

candr44
June 1, 2012, 12:05 AM
I stand on the street corner with a sign that says " Homeless and Hungry Please Help". At Christmas time I put on a Santa suit then stand outside the mall with a bucket ringing a bell.

Actually, I just limit my want list to what I want most and keep my eye open for bargains. It seems like I find most bargains at pawn shops and even gun shows if I look often enough. If I don't like the price I walk away no matter how much I want it. Patience and negotiating has often payed off.

A C&R license also gives you dealer pricing on some guns and discounts at some internet business' like Midway. $30 for a 3 year license and I saved at least that much on the first gun I bought with my license. Imported C&R military guns also always go up in value once the supply dries up.

Guns are a lot cheaper hobby than the 69 Mach 1 Mustang and 70 Mustang I use to own. Wish I still had the 69 though.

Warp
June 1, 2012, 12:14 AM
I hear you on the cars. I had an LS1 Camaro I modified to run 11s as my daily driver. That gets expensive...especially when you inevitably break stuff.

Apuuli
June 1, 2012, 12:51 AM
Once you get the first one they pay for themselves! Just ask Jesse James! ;)

Teachu2
June 1, 2012, 12:56 AM
it doesn't help that I don't make but $30k a year which bothers me at times considering what I know and then with my two degrees but I also feel very blessed to have such a wonderful job these days so you know.

It might be time to re-evaluate your career. In the 1980's, I was making twice that selling consumer electronics - a job I loved. I got tired of the nights and weekends, so I examined WHAT about the job I loved: determining the customers true needs and educating them on the correct products. I took a night security job to allow me to return to college for a teaching credential. Took 5 years and a Master's degree to get back to my old income, but now I still love my job and have doubled that income again, plus great benefits. Kids are grown and gainfully employed, wife and I both teach high school, we built our dream house 10 years ago, and we spend lots of time riding our Harleys together (makes guns look cheap!).

Figure out what you love doing, then do it as well as you can for as long as you can. As long as you value yourself at $15 an hour, that's all you'll get.

People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan. If you are a "free spirit who goes where the wind takes me" kind of person, you need to learn sailing and navigation.

What are your degrees in, and what's so great about your current job?

Sheepdog1968
June 1, 2012, 01:03 AM
Was much easier when I was single. To keep marital bliss, I save the money I get from birthdays and other holidays and then buy what I want. Don't let buying guns mean you aren't saving for retirement. Being old, broken down so you can't work and having no savings sucks. I know one person who is in that boat right now and he made pretty good money during his working career. Assuming you can't get a better job, how about adding in a separate part time job? It could be as simple as mowing lawns or pressure washing folks driveways. Once younger a few clients word of mouth spreads fast and neighbors of those who you work for will want you to do the same.

Skribs
June 1, 2012, 01:04 AM
Bachelor with a poor paying job and no other hobbies.

Serenity
June 1, 2012, 01:11 AM
I spend a very minimal amount of money on clothes, makeup, bi annual haircuts, don't wear jewelry, own only 10 pairs of footwear INCLUDING work boots (that sounds like a lot but start counting your wife's shoes; on second thought--don't) and drive a '98 Rav4. So when I want to spend money on shooting, hubby tends to just roll his eyes and consider himself lucky that I don't collect handbags or perfume.

DNS
June 1, 2012, 01:15 AM
Mostly rimfires here so firearms and ammo are very affordable.

I do everything on a budget so i can do everything. ;)

RumT
June 1, 2012, 01:30 AM
Guard a nuclear power plant.

JSpear
June 1, 2012, 01:38 AM
I work my forty, try not to spend much, also have a couple part time gigs and I also collect scrap metal, people throw a lot of money away! Plus I'm single with no kids, that helps a lot also!!

LawScholar
June 1, 2012, 01:50 AM
I don't...

My collection has been gifts from the start, as I am blessed with an insanely generous family. Not rich by any means, just crazy selfless.

As a student, I use my credit card as a debit card, paying it every month (to build credit). I get bonus points, so I'm saving them for gun #6.

$240 saved so far. :)

Jesse 8
June 1, 2012, 02:01 AM
Got a raise this year. (Don't be jealous, went from 9-10.50) but that extra money bought my edc stuff. Then a family member generously left me an inheritance that has paid off my car (97 mustang gt) and bought my Ak. I'm going to school slowly but surely, just getting by buying little things here and there. Being single helps too. (Girls are expensive-but worth it {usually})

tarosean
June 1, 2012, 02:03 AM
No debt, good paying job, dont try and keep up with the "Jones's"

what the stay at home wife and kids don't take I can spend on weapons.

captain awesome
June 1, 2012, 02:28 AM
Ok, well my situation is different than most of you. I am married, in my mid 20's have a 2 year old daughter, wife has a car payment, we have rent and a bunch of other debt, self employed, my taxes said we made less than 30k combined last year. I do take some cash jobs though. And yet I average buying a new firearm nearly monthly. Summer time is slow, but in the late spring and fall is where most of my income comes from. Having a large portion of my income arrive seasonal but having some regular monthly jobs to keep me afloat make it easier to to spend the extra money when I have it. I can't afford to have large monthly expenses in the slow seasons. So I live my life on a small budget in other areas, And buy the guns when I can.

My strategy which some consider foolish, is to buy guns instead of placing money into long term savings or "investments" which also helps my collection to grow. Its a hell of a lot more fun to go shoot them and mess with them than to sit at home thinking about the money I have in the bank and my future. I have never lost a dime on any gun I have sold (not counting the money spent on feeding it), and most have made money or gained (some significantly) in value. What can I say, I have lost all faith in our nations monetary system/economy.

cleardiddion
June 1, 2012, 04:46 AM
No wife, no kids, conductor on a major railroad.

I just end up browsing for bargains all the time and I'm pretty well in with all the shops where I live. The only problem is trying to find time to go shooting with an erratic schedule.

Rembrandt
June 1, 2012, 07:45 AM
I budget at least one (or more) "good quality" guns per year....sort of like forced savings or investment account. Over time the collection has filled up two large safes.

Do my own automotive repairs and maintenance, mow yards, have a Santa suit and play the role at homes and parties during the holidays. Restore and do custom paint work on cars and motorcycles. Take on remodeling jobs, built furniture, and do metal fabrication. So far the extra work has paid for a farm and a nice gun collection.

Ryanxia
June 1, 2012, 08:34 AM
Work on computers and not married yet. That's why I'm trying to increase my collection now while I can. :)

Remllez
June 1, 2012, 08:41 AM
I'm ashamed to say it but I gigolo at the senior housing apartments near where I live......:)

fatcat4620
June 1, 2012, 09:20 AM
I horse trade but you have to know a lot about guns before you start.

Darkbob
June 1, 2012, 09:51 AM
I give myself $20 per week allowance. I used to spend close to that amount weekly eating fast food lunches and pop while at work. I eat cheaper now and my wife can't complain too much since she still goes out for lunch with her coworkers on a regular basis. $20 per week isn't much but its let me buy one or two guns a year since I've started.

pockets
June 1, 2012, 09:51 AM
I usually go out to the orchard and pick $20's off the trees....unless it is $10-bill season.

Actually, I finance my guns the same way as I do my guitars and any of my other hobbies: I work a lot. None of my normal engineering job wages go toward hobbies.
My 'fun-money' comes from playing sleazy bar-band gigs, buying/selling on eBay, and manufacturing silicone tires and reproduction resin castings for those vintage slot cars we old-dudes played with in the 1960's.

HGUNHNTR
June 1, 2012, 09:59 AM
If that's true Captain, guns won't help. Liquidating them is an exercise in faith of the monetary system and economy.

Gunnerboy
June 1, 2012, 10:04 AM
I have a wonderful girlfriend who sees firearms as an investment so therefore she tells me i should buy 1 or 2 a month :D

captain awesome
June 1, 2012, 10:19 AM
If that's true Captain, guns won't help. Liquidating them is an exercise in faith of the monetary system and economy.

ah you have a point my friend, but liquidating guns can do more than bring in cash. Something of that nature will always have inherent value, whether the American dollar does or not. And one can also look at the value of having such items and using them when needed. That, is priceless.

Auf Grosser Fahrt
June 1, 2012, 10:31 AM
Guard a nuclear power plant.
God bless you, sir!

ny32182
June 1, 2012, 11:09 AM
My shooting is currently financed mostly by my back pocket, but my dream is to have it pay for itself.

As far as my other financial habits:
No debt sans mortgage
Single
Generally don't spend money on much of anything else

While the fact that the guns themselves retain some residual value is nice, I don't try to tell myself they are "investments". And they are the cheapest thing about shooting anyway.

Old Fuff
June 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
I make the hobby pay for itself... :what: :evil:

Unlike the "I shoot everything I buy" guys, I also dabble in collectable and classic handguns, especially when I find one for sale at well below its true worth. This requires knowing what guns are what, and what's hot and what isn't. But knowledge often translates into $$$$, and great buys are often passed up by others that don't know what is a potential money-maker. That description fits some dealers too. I have even scored at gun shows... :eek:

The profits have always gone a long way toward supporting my shooting habits and reduced my out-of-pocket outlays. ;)

Afelt.tech
June 1, 2012, 11:28 AM
Wife and I both work our 40 and make a decent living. Mostly my other hobby/job pays for this one. I play in a bar band every weekend, somewhere around 130-150 shows a year.

rtroha
June 1, 2012, 11:59 AM
We dropped cable TV about 15 years ago and don't miss it. That's one monthly bill we don't have that most do.

I pay about $100/year for a Tracfone cell phone which I only use very infrequently. That's another monthly bill we don't have.

We almost always eat at home instead of in restaurants. That's more savings.

I'm still driving the 1994 Toyota I bought new, so no car or lease payment.

Furncliff
June 1, 2012, 01:36 PM
I married above my station. And she is a generous soul.:D

HGUNHNTR
June 1, 2012, 01:42 PM
ah you have a point my friend, but liquidating guns can do more than bring in cash. Something of that nature will always have inherent value, whether the American dollar does or not. And one can also look at the value of having such items and using them when needed. That, is priceless.

Yeah man, keep at it. My situation was very similar to yours, a young child at 23 and lots of work to keep my head above water. It will work out, my best advice is to save as much as you can, and don't worry. Stress is a bigger killer than lack of riches. Good luck dude.

dubya450
June 1, 2012, 01:59 PM
Now that I just bought my first house and have our first son on the way, its more like how DID I pay for my gun hobby lol. When i was single and in an apartment I could afford nice guns and equipment with my union construction job but now with the kid on the way and a mortgage payment ill be putting buying guns on hold for awhile. Thats why I went on a buying binge a few months ago and bought 7 pistols/rifles :)

wgaynor
June 1, 2012, 02:03 PM
For me, it is hard to save up the money. I have two children and work in Management at a Non-Profit Organization (so I'll never be wealthy financially).

I am a prepper and strive towards self sufficiency. I make my own laundry detergent, candles, hunt, fish, and fix things when they break. I don't have a satellite dish, cable, or high-speed internet. I have a tv antenna on a 20 foot pole sitting above my roofline (that saves me a TON of money and leaves me with more time to shoot, cast, and reload).

It's all about balancing what is important to you with what's important for you.

Ranb
June 1, 2012, 03:40 PM
Wife and I are frugal, paid off the house, no CC debt, kids grown. I re-load ammo, re-barrel my own guns and make my own silencers.

Ranb

Old judge creek
June 1, 2012, 06:39 PM
I started a "weekend nights job": I formed a 21 piece orchestra and worked gigs for 25 years.

7thCavScout
June 1, 2012, 07:08 PM
I put out fires, wash fire trucks, extricate people at vehicle accidents, and get cats out of trees.

Buck Kramer
June 1, 2012, 07:43 PM
I cut off peoples cable for Mediacom, donate plasma, unload trucks at Besy Buy, Mow lawns/landscape. The first pays the bills, the second pays for gas for the first, the third goes straight to savings, and the fourth goes to guns/ammo about $300 a month.

BigN
June 1, 2012, 08:17 PM
Been single for over 30 years, need I say more? I keep one on layaway most of the time, pay some here, pay some there. While I'm waiting for the new (or used) gun, I have plenty more here to shoot/reload.

huntsman
June 1, 2012, 08:27 PM
I beg my wife (she works I don’t) but mostly I go without ;) sometimes I get an unexpected windfall like last fall when I bought a Blackhawk.

Ramone
June 1, 2012, 08:41 PM
I am single, no kids, and I make decent money, though it's a little uneven at times, so I do have to have a plan.

I limit my collection, based on what I actually shoot (for the most part).

I trade alot, do my own gunsmithing as much as I can, sometimes trading a bit of help for parts. Usually I can sell one AR to finance my next build. I won't buy if I don't have room in my safes for it, so it's incentive to keep a little room for the next one that comes along.

Because I move alot ( I am paying taxes in 3 states at the moment, but I'll have that down to 2 shortly) (I hope!), I try to keep it down to what can fit in my car in one trip (with room for other stuff.

Right now, I am at 2 ARs, one bolt .308, a SUB2000, and 5 pistols -which is 2 too many, but I am narrowing down which have to go. When I have enough parts together to start my next build, one of the ARs will go.

No shotgun- I am not much for Clays, don't hunt with one, and have other options for HD.

I handload about 50% of what I shoot, so that does save some, provided I can do it when it is not taking away from earning, which would make it a loss, or my shooting time, which would be worse.

I buy cheap, and stack deep, and keep about 2000 rounds of .223Rem, 500 or so of .308Win, 2k each of 9mm and .45ACP at a minimum, and barter or sell small lots from time to time

Ala Dan
June 1, 2012, 09:27 PM
hard work~!

303tom
June 1, 2012, 09:41 PM
I work on guns..........

bob barker
June 1, 2012, 09:45 PM
I sell eyeglasses to optometrists and optomologists, so they can sell them to their patients.

jcwit
June 1, 2012, 10:00 PM
I'm retired on a VA disability. I eat lots of Ramon noodles.

gbran
June 1, 2012, 10:01 PM
So, how ^^^do you pay for your hobby of guns?

I'm 60, have been single for over 20 years. My gf's have all had jobs. I'm in a comfortable employment situation. My 4 kids are all educated and doing well. I don't have anything or anyone dragging me down financially.

robMaine
June 1, 2012, 10:13 PM
Being a bouncer at a local bar gets me my extra spending cash, I have a child on the way, so that most likely will go away shortly.

newfalguy101
June 1, 2012, 10:17 PM
I have an FFL, I buy and sell a few here and there to pay for the ones I keep.............at least thats how I explain it to my wife...............I dont think either one of us is convinced its true :neener:

Byrd666
June 1, 2012, 10:20 PM
I have a job

oldbear
June 1, 2012, 11:19 PM
came into money, got lucky, are retired

Some of each of the above. With number one far ahead of the others.

ColtPythonElite
June 2, 2012, 12:20 AM
No wife, no kids, no debt, good job and 20+ years of living below my means.

BemidjiDweller
June 2, 2012, 01:34 AM
I work hard all day 6-7 days a week, when you are getting overtime and double overtime, the cash kinda shows up sometime in the haze of big white tents and scorching sunlight.

I set up event tents for weddings, parties and such. Stages, tables, chairs, tents, structures, barricades, bleachers. If any of you saw the President's speech today at HoneyWells, you saw my handiwork. I set up (with my crew) the stages, bleachers, those handrails, barricades and all the tables and chairs that the media sat on/wrote on.

The people who were in charge for setting up the whole event were terrible, it took us 7 hours to do 3 hours worth of work because they were so slow deciding where to put stuff and to get those dang light guys out of the way. :cuss:

Ignition Override
June 2, 2012, 01:53 AM
There was no previous hobby, therefore when the milsurp virus infected me at age 52 (in 2007), there was no money tied up in anything other than a home. Having good seniority prevented layoffs during multiple economic and corporate "roller coasters" (mergers, bankruptcies).

No gun which costs much over $600 interests me, because of the price, and except for the Service Grade Garand, the rest are $300-$425.
You young guys who were already bitten by the bug have so much more time on your side.

CDR_Glock
June 2, 2012, 02:04 AM
I do puzzles for a living. Sort of. I'm a Radiologist. It's a fun field. I interpret the human body as a puzzle.

Mind you, I'm not into anything else, like cars, boats, expensive clothes, watches, jewelry, collectible stuff, or expensive places to visit/things to eat. I like to buy used things or things on sale. I never pay retail. I'm content with peanut butter sandwiches, water and fruit. I like wearing t-shirts and jeans. I don't have a mortgage and I don't have a car payment.

LawScholar
June 2, 2012, 12:59 PM
I do puzzles for a living. Sort of. I'm a Radiologist. It's a fun field. I interpret the human body as a puzzle.

Mind you, I'm not into anything else, like cars, boats, expensive clothes, watches, jewelry, collectible stuff, or expensive places to visit/things to eat. I like to buy used things or things on sale. I never pay retail. I'm content with peanut butter sandwiches, water and fruit. I like wearing t-shirts and jeans. I don't have a mortgage and I don't have a car payment.

As someone who sometime reviews medical records and bills at a law firm for my summer job, good for you! Radiology is a well-compensated field. Rightly so, the work you do is critical.

DesertFox
June 2, 2012, 01:32 PM
I've bought lots on layaway. Don't need it right away, don't want to pass it up, don't want to fork over all the cash at once. Much easier for me to motivate myself for the next month's payment, squirrel it away and divide into 3-4 parts.

Huge fan of trading too. Some of my favorites have come home this way. I try to stay on the lookout for good deals on things that I personally may not be so interested in but see the trade-up value. C&R helps too. As does age. I remember when I used to buy something once every several years. Recently, 3-5 at a time are finding their way home.

Chevelle SS
June 2, 2012, 01:40 PM
Bachelor with a poor paying job

bergmen
June 2, 2012, 02:01 PM
Outside of being a contract Senior Mechanical Engineer working out of my home that pays very well (and at my age - 62 - few financial obligations) I have a patented invention that has been selling reasonably well since 2005. The income from the invention is just gravy (AKA gun safe stuffing money).

Dan

Arkansas Paul
June 2, 2012, 02:08 PM
I only buy 1 or 2 guns a year, so it's not that much of an expense. Usually around the $1k mark for guns.

As far as handloading, it is even better. My dad, brother, and I split the cost of large purchases such as equipment or bulk components and we also recently started casting, so we're shooting pistol rounds for darn near free.

C0untZer0
June 2, 2012, 02:18 PM
What I struggle with is buying guns for my kids.

I am going to get them .22 pistols.

They want Chipmunks which are pretty cheap - around $160

I keep thinking they would be better off with a S&W 617 :D

dodge
June 2, 2012, 02:22 PM
Work the overtime when available and save up until I have cash for what I want. While saving I'm doing the research as to where I can possible get the best deal.

DeepSouth
June 2, 2012, 02:24 PM
I work overtime. Last year over a third of my income was OT, so far this year I've worked 335 hrs of OT. That"s how I pay for my "toys" as well as the wife's, I pay the bills with 40 hrs, and save/splurge with the extra. That said I didn't get a gun hobby until I was making a great deal over 30K.

clutch
June 2, 2012, 02:58 PM
There were times I didn't make enough money and worked two jobs, there were times I made barely enough money working one job, then as my skills and education grew, I made more money doing a different job and now I get paid okay but I work a lot of overtime.

I'm at the point in life where time off is more important to me than money but if I just have to work the OT to make the employer happy, I'll put some of that money towards shooting stuff.

Oh yes, I don't have kids and have been happily divorced for many years.

Clutch

sirgilligan
June 2, 2012, 03:34 PM
I don't have any guns. I download pictures of other people's guns and then post on forums and say "Look what I just got."

Truthfully, being frugal, only buying what I can afford, buying quality to that it lasts, taking care of things so they retain value, a slow and steady pace.

Last year I decided to see if I could do something to specifically fund firearm related purchases and costs, so I spent a pretty good sum of money to get everything needed to do iPhone / iOS development. So, you should know that the proceeds of Gun Log and Gun Log +P go directly to this so-called hobby.

Certaindeaf
June 2, 2012, 03:42 PM
Plasma in the forty weight range.

snake eater 332
June 2, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm a LEO and work extra duty/OT (construction, bar jobs, HS ball games, etc) to fund my 'habit.' I'll usually buy 2-3 big ticket items a year, whether that be a new firearm or accessories, like an optic or suppressor, and I'll also take 2-3 tactical training classes a year (like Larry Vickers, Kyle Lamb/VTAC, Kyle Defoor, Rob Pincus/CFS, Jason Falla/RB1, etc.) out of my own pocket to keep my skills honed.

FROGO207
June 2, 2012, 04:39 PM
Me I just do what I want/buy what I want all the time. Firefighter/Plumber/Electrician are the things that make me money. Oh yeah I am still single, and presently drive a 25 year old truck and own my own home. I remember actually buying 2 new firearms in the last 30 years, all the others have been used deals when I had a little spare cash.:D

Nauga
June 2, 2012, 05:12 PM
I reckon guns have a better roi than a bank account.

Capybara
June 2, 2012, 07:32 PM
Full time corporate professional, I make very good money but unfortunately wife and kids spend most of it. I have a side gig, I write for a couple of magazines, make about 12k per year with that gig, that is gun/hobby money.

Just found out I may get laid off in October though so I think my gun buying is over until I either secure another job or keep the one I have. I bought a lot of guns and ammo this year though, glad I did, plenty to keep me shooting for the next couple of years.

Ky Larry
June 2, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm 58, wife unit has good paying job, son grown and doing well, no bills except taxes, utilities, insurance, and food. I have a good union job with benefits and work all the overtime I want. I split my overtime with the wife unit. Idon't have time to shoot the guns I have so most $ gets spent on reloading supply's and accessories.

claiborne
June 2, 2012, 09:17 PM
keep selling or trading for guns that I will sell or trade away some day. My wife thinks I am cuckoo.

MBane666
June 2, 2012, 10:11 PM
I parlayed a short-term consulting gig for a tiny television network devoted to gold prospectors and an abysmal lack of knowledge about television into 12 seasons of SHOOTING GALLERY, not to mention THE BEST DEFENSE, COWBOYS, TBD/SURVIVAL and now RAPID FIRE and GUN STORIES. Ten years ago I couldn't spell "television producer"...now I are one, sort of...

Michael B

frankmako
June 2, 2012, 11:02 PM
take lunch to work instead of buying it. saves lots of $$$$ to buy guns, ammo, and reloading items.

Ditchtiger
June 2, 2012, 11:13 PM
Kids are out of the house.
Don't play the lotteries or go to bars, and eat at restaurants rarely.
Reloading helps a lot also.
And don't have cable either.

treg
June 3, 2012, 12:12 AM
drive paid for trucks

don't buy nutin new

seldom go out to eat

no bars

no casinos

no church

no social life

grow and raise most of my own food

ride "junk" horses (until recently)

buy hay out of the field

reload all ammo 'cept .22's

shoot lots of .22's

Next step - live in a paid for house!

People wonder how I do it.

ETA:
Heat my house 100% with wood (I'm in a top tier state)

No garbage service-
-biodegradables go in the garden
-burnables get burnt
-nonburnables go in a feed bag and get stored in a box in the barn until township dump day.

Don't smoke

CDR_Glock
June 3, 2012, 02:04 AM
take lunch to work instead of buying it. saves lots of $$$$ to buy guns, ammo, and reloading items.

You aren't kidding! Very smart.

I'm going to start taking lunch to work, also. As well as BRING my coffee or tea to work. I think I can save $3k/year just doing that. That is like a free FN Scar 17 per year.

shiftyer1
June 3, 2012, 02:59 AM
I really don't have a clue how I support my habit, and to be honest I really don't want to ponder it. Mostly if I see something I just have to have I do without In another area until I get it or do some sellin and swappin. I guess I just find a way.

mljdeckard
June 3, 2012, 03:03 AM
1. Handloading

2. Using AR pattern rifles with multiple uppers

3. Using .22 conversion kits. (I've been shooting them so much lately, I might need to recalculate that one,)

4. Russian ammo in Russian guns

5. I get incentive pay, usually about $2-300 a month. That's my money.

tarosean
June 3, 2012, 03:17 AM
ride "junk" horses

that one made me laugh...
However, maintenance is about the same for a "expensive" one as it is a "junk" one....

Steve Raacke
June 3, 2012, 07:33 AM
I work nights and weekends, 40 hours a week, as a hospital security officer making about 28K a year. That pays my bills and leaves a tiny bit left for my ham radio and gun hobbies.

SimplyChad
June 3, 2012, 07:50 AM
Deployment... 11 grand on guns in the last 9 months. No debt other then my bike and the wifes car that we could pay off at anytime.

sirgilligan
June 3, 2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
You aren't kidding! Very smart.

I either take my lunch or go home and eat and do some exercise while at home.
Over the last 20 years that conservatively adds up to over $30,000.00.

Coyote3855
June 3, 2012, 02:14 PM
I've worked for wages for over 50 years. I get a retirement check from a job I held for 31 years. I choose to work after "retirement" and am fortunate to make an excellent income from what started out as a part-time jog. We have no debt of any kind. Cars, house, tractor, land: all paid. Credit cards used mostly for gasoline, paid every month. I have no other expensive hobbies. Well, there's fly fishing...

MarkDido
June 3, 2012, 02:19 PM
Serenity Said:
I spend a very minimal amount of money on clothes, makeup, bi annual haircuts, don't wear jewelry, own only 10 pairs of footwear INCLUDING work boots (that sounds like a lot but start counting your wife's shoes; on second thought--don't) and drive a '98 Rav4. So when I want to spend money on shooting, hubby tends to just roll his eyes and consider himself lucky that I don't collect handbags or perfume.

Dang!

You had me right up until that "husband" thing! :)

kimberkid
June 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
Besides the fact I have or have had just about every firearm that interests me, I'm 55, dual good incomes (I'm in technology and the wife is in medicin) and house & cars paid for, zero debt, even our funerals, headstones & plots are paid for ... only one kid left at home and barring a catastrophic event or unless she goes to Yale, Harvard, Juliard ...

treg
June 3, 2012, 11:23 PM
Quote:
ride "junk" horses
that one made me laugh...
However, maintenance is about the same for a "expensive" one as it is a "junk" one....

Ah, but I train the vets horse. Helps cut the maintenance $ which leaves more for guns.

And BTW, I traded my last "junk" horse (got him free, +15 months) for a well built, well bred, registered Polish Arabian. So I am not riding a "junk" horse now.

arizona98tj
June 3, 2012, 11:41 PM
I stopped spending my hobby money on this.....

http://www.stu-offroad.com/body/vikingtop/vikingtop-20.jpg

fatcat4620
June 4, 2012, 10:25 AM
Jeeps are nice...... for the two days of the year they are not broken down:evil:
Seriously tho it looks good.

Calibre44
June 4, 2012, 03:10 PM
Since my wife isn't into guns every gun I buy seems to only cost £100 as far as she is concerned ;)

hang fire
June 4, 2012, 05:10 PM
May seem odd, but thanks to my wife. She considers any firearm bought as an investment, if she don't think it will show a profit when sold someday, I have a hard sale with her to get it.

She is very knowledgeable about guns and will mostly ask my opine, but she often strays off at gun shows and buys on her own. She collects Bersa Model 85s in .380 and Model 23s in .22 LR.

And BTW, she is 71 years old and still an avid shooter.

blarby
June 4, 2012, 05:13 PM
I used to work hard for them.

Now I clean hard and cook. My reloading services for the Mrs. also contribute.

The kind gnomes who leave expensive brass laying everywhere have contributed a surprisingly decent share over the last couplea years.......although nothing like California.

Say what you want about Cali. Those people were so stinkin rich, they left piles of white gold and loaded ammo everywhere.......miss those rich slobs.

Clark
September 5, 2012, 02:20 AM
I buy really cheap guns.
I go to the gun shows and buy the cheapest gun at every show.
I have a friend who's gun collection median value is orders of magnitude higher than mine.

I get some guns for free when people throw them away.
I make firing pins from nails and trigger springs from guitar wire.

Bobson
September 5, 2012, 02:24 AM
I live vicariously through other THR members. My "hobby of guns" consists of reading about other peoples' enjoyment with their guns, and fantasizing about a future when I'll actually have time to go shooting on anything resembling a regular basis, myself.

Currently, I find time to go shooting for around two hours every three months or so.

Ignition Override
September 5, 2012, 02:41 AM
This was my first actual hobby. It began at age 52.
Most milsurps don't cost so much. Somebody up there (mljdeckard?) mentioned Russian ammo. Prvi Partizan (Serbian) .303 is really good reloadable ammo.

Years ago I really wanted a canoe, but it's hard to paddle upstream to a car. Not kidding at all.

chuckj5
September 5, 2012, 09:59 AM
I gave up boating and fishing (price of fuel and to old and stiff to do maintainance), now I have about $5,000.00 every year that is not committed (boat was paid off). I could save it for my kids but they would use it for a vacation to grive my passing. My wife would use it for a luxury cruise to Italy. So, off to the gun store to buy a new toy, I made it, I'll spend it.

Moose458
September 5, 2012, 10:42 AM
I grovel a lot. If you remember Roger Rabbit P-P-P-P-Please.:D

MrDig
September 5, 2012, 12:16 PM
I don't I'm homeless and keep my stuff in a shipping container ala Micheal Weston or Jason Bourne........

ojh
September 5, 2012, 06:00 PM
Have a wife, kids, mortgage, two (cheap) cars and a poorly paid academic career. Wife's got a job too, she almost pays her own expenses :evil:. Just kidding, she's a priceless companion.

I afford the hobby by working overtime. I also reload and shoot a lot of .22s. No drinking, smoking, gambling, etc. My only other hobby is photography and collecting inexpensive but interesting cameras.

coolluke01
September 5, 2012, 06:53 PM
I'm a plumber in our family business. I don't make a whole lot there, but the hours are great and very flexible. The economy has taken it's toll on that business. I made less last year that I have since 2005.

For the last few years I have been buying properties and fixing them up. That has been a huge investment of time. I spend right around 500 hours for each unit. I have been turning units out in about 3 months. 90-100 work weeks of labor are not fun, but now I have 5 rental units. I did not buy any guns or shoot at all until 2009- 2010. I had a few guns from before I was married in 2005, but I never really shot them because I never had the time or money. It's a hard trade off. You can work all day and all night but then you have no time to shoot. If you don't work extra it seems you never have enough extra money.

Being married with 2 boys and one more on the way is expensive! I don't buy many guns. Most of my money goes towards ammo! I'm looking into getting sponsored by a local business. That would help a great deal.

TAKtical
September 5, 2012, 06:55 PM
Gunsmithing, making holsters and mag carriers, and gf who also loves guns.

MtnCreek
September 5, 2012, 07:06 PM
I don’t spend money I don’t have. My CC’s are paid in full monthly. I don’t have any vehicle notes. I have friends with much flashier stuff, but I don’t try to compete. Do those simple things and you will have a little extra change in your pocket.

19-3Ben
September 5, 2012, 07:19 PM
Most of the gun buying is on hold right now while my wife and I are trying to unload two condos (that we own in addition to our home) that are just huge money pits.
Once they are gone, she and I will have money to put away every month.

Reloadron
September 5, 2012, 07:22 PM
So, how do you pay for your hobby of guns?

Actually I am a professional thief so I steal stuff and buy guns. :)

OK seriously? Guns have always been a hobby since my first .22 Remington 510P which I still have. While my real job is electrical engineering my wife manages a small TV station. Our kids are grown with kids of their own and doing well. We own our modest home in the Cleveland burbs and carry zero debt. We also owned a small gun shop for a number of years which helped the collection.

Fortunately we are at a point in life where I can afford the guns I want and she enjoys her jewelery. In a few years I'll retire as will my wife. I figure now is the time to stock up on guns and associated equipment. Once retired I see us doing well but the income will not be what it is today. Additionally we both see the guns as an investment. You will seldom lose money buying a gun assuming you hang onto it for awhile.

Ron

Captcurt
September 5, 2012, 07:35 PM
I opened a gun shop.:D

jhco
September 5, 2012, 07:38 PM
Cash money, I work for a living.

Tangent
September 5, 2012, 09:01 PM
Well, just like musicman10_1, for about 25 years I built a massive guitar collection. First I bought, then I started building them. for the last 10 years I've been buying guns or rifles as the mood hits. It seems, however, that in the past year I've been buying at a more rapid pace. It's a very addictive hobby. Expensive? Yes. Worth it. Absolutely!
I fund all my hobbies from my paycheck. I have no debt and I've been in my particular career since... a very long time. I make a habit of making sure I have the cash before I buy anything. I will not every carry a CC balance for any type of weapon. Ever. Personal philosophy. But, yeah, cash or no buy.
I also reload, so I can't walk out of Cabelas or BassPro without buying some sort of OH SO VERY NECESSARY component. :)
It gets expensive, but I guess in a way I'm fortunate that I've been through all the pains of not having discretionary income when I was younger. At my age, I figure I have about 25 years left to enjoy and then pass it all off to the boy.
Good times... and I'm not done.... yet.

fatcat4620
September 5, 2012, 09:05 PM
Tip one: don't get married. Tip two: don't have kids.

Fat_46
September 5, 2012, 09:19 PM
Its a combination of factors for me. My oncall pay puts $350 a month into my combination gun/hunting trip fund. I reload for everything but the rimfires. And my 10 year old daughter is getting in to guns as well, so the wife assists from time to time, especially with the daughter's guns and accessories.

Next summer's prairie dog trip will also save me some cash, as both wife and daughter want to try it out, and we'll incorporate it into a 9 day SoDak vacation. That means the gas for my truck gets paid from the vacation fund instead of my hunting fund!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

allaroundhunter
September 5, 2012, 09:23 PM
Tip one: don't get married. Tip two: don't have kids.

That is a good way to have some left over money....

But personally, I would never put a gun collection over having a family.

Madcap_Magician
September 5, 2012, 09:38 PM
I take $40 every payday as discretionary funds. Whatever I don't spend goes into my guns and ammo fund, along with anything I make from teaching CCW classes, though that has dried up completely since April, since I don't own the company and am not a primary instructor.

mf-dif
September 5, 2012, 11:06 PM
I work in advertising, and do not have any kids. I am fortunate enough my day job supports me enough financially to play. But i still try to keep it under somewhat control. IE trade or sell arms i do not shoot any longer. Sell accessories i dont use. Purchase cheap plinking ammo. Shop for deals of course,

coolluke01
September 5, 2012, 11:27 PM
But personally, I would never put a gun collection over having a family.

I put off guns and shooting for about 5 years when I first got married. Best sacrifice I ever made.

OilyPablo
September 5, 2012, 11:38 PM
To answer the question: Regular job, sell Amsoil and start a business (Sickbikeparts.com) are how I afford guns and ammo and extras.

preachnhunt
September 6, 2012, 11:41 PM
In addition to our regular income, my wife and I run a dog kennel and I train dogs on the side. It pays for pretty much all of our fun/vacation expenses.

If you enjoyed reading about "So, how do you pay for your hobby of guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!