Venezuela Bans Private Gun Ownership

PDA

razorback2003
June 1, 2012, 02:18 PM
This is an interesting article on BBC. I wonder who all will really be able to own a gun in Venezuela. This does not surprise me since Venezuela is run by a dictator.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18288430

If you enjoyed reading about "Venezuela Bans Private Gun Ownership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
June 1, 2012, 02:30 PM
Free armed citizens are anathema to a dictator. Surprised it took this long.

Gtimothy
June 1, 2012, 03:29 PM
^^^ I'm sure our leaders are following this closely ....and drooling!

Ragnar Danneskjold
June 1, 2012, 07:15 PM
The worst part is not even the ban on guns, as grievous as that is. This is probably just a precursor to a lot of things that will be be a lot worse. Chavez is a dictator through and through, and as armoredman said, private gun ownership is terrifying to dictators. I would bet that he has some plans coming down the line that are going to make his citizens wish they had their guns back. It's only gonna get worse from here.

tekarra
June 1, 2012, 08:37 PM
Chavez must be getting worried for his future.

SleazyRider
June 1, 2012, 08:54 PM
The worst part is not even the ban on guns, as grievous as that is. This is probably just a precursor to a lot of things that will be be a lot worse. ...

Like banning 16-ounce sodas to prevent obesity? Because that's what Mayor Bloomberg is doing here in the Empire State.

SharpsDressedMan
June 1, 2012, 08:57 PM
Dictators should fear their subjects with guns, as it will probably be a gun that solves the problem down there. One brave soul, with an accurate rifle...................

TennJed
June 2, 2012, 03:00 AM
Not suprised that a dictator like Chavez would do it, but it is such a shame that the article that was linked, reads like it was written by Chavez's PR people. I know it is the BBC so I am not suprised, but i am sad. A news report about a dictator removing rights away from people is written in such a positive light.

Flopsweat
June 2, 2012, 06:02 AM
Chavez must be getting worried for his future.
In a way, yes. He's dieing. http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2012/05/31/us-journalist-says-chavez-cancer-in-last-stage/

Deus Machina
June 2, 2012, 06:18 AM
Gotta love Chavez.
He has cancer, and he's taking these 'security measures' in time for 'elections.'
I foresee either some "brash decisions on Chavez's part"--to put it to UN-level politeness--or, at the best, he's trying to secure a personally favored successor.

lemaymiami
June 2, 2012, 08:36 AM
Down here in south Florida there are quite a few ex-pat Venezuelans. None of them have anything good to say about old Hugo... and that's an understatement. I'm surprised he's lasted this long. Until that area has reasonable governments you can expect to see guys like Hugo - wish it were different.... If you begin to succeed down in South or Central America (either in government or the private sector) the first thing you do is start figuring out ways to get some of your assets out of the country in case you have to run. The Miami area is high on that list and has been for the 41 years I've been here.

To put it mildly gun control (or outright confiscation) isn't the worst thing that can happen to you and your family down there....

BCCL
June 2, 2012, 08:41 AM
To put it mildly gun control (or outright confiscation) isn't the worst thing that can happen to you and your family down there....

But it sure does help make those "worse" things easier for them.........

Loosedhorse
June 2, 2012, 08:49 AM
I wonder who all will really be able to own a gun in VenezuelaOh, I think we all know: only criminals. Including the ones who wear uniforms and sit behind big governmental desks.

HOOfan_1
June 2, 2012, 09:16 AM
Wonder how much the Egyptian and Lybian revolutions influenced this.

Curator
June 2, 2012, 10:51 AM
Venezuela is like many Central and South American countries in that just about everything is illegal or controlled by the police/military/government. Add that to the fact that the laws are hardly ever enforced, then only in large cities, and against whomever is out of favor at the moment. Smuggling, drugs, corruption, graft, and violence is endemic. Dictatorships are usually more orderly than Kleptocracies like these.

AirForceShooter
June 2, 2012, 11:24 AM
First I wonder how many people will turn in their guns. Not a lot I'd guess.
Hugo is ready to go. Possibly in 3 months.
It's not him doing this.
It's his brother and the current ruling party.

AFS

oneounceload
June 2, 2012, 11:31 AM
Venezuela is like many Central and South American countries in that just about everything is illegal or controlled by the police/military/government. Add that to the fact that the laws are hardly ever enforced, then only in large cities, and against whomever is out of favor at the moment. Smuggling, drugs, corruption, graft, and violence is endemic. Dictatorships are usually more orderly than Kleptocracies like these.

Let's not forget that for over half a century, our CIA was responsible for putting many of these dictators in office because we thought that would help us in one manner or another - we are as much to blame for the mess in Central and South America as anyone.............;)

jerkface11
June 2, 2012, 03:58 PM
Venezuela is like many Central and South American countries in that just about everything is illegal or controlled by the police/military/government.

Perhaps you haven't noticed that this country is the same way.

StrutStopper
June 2, 2012, 04:50 PM
Way to go Hugo. I'd be worried if I was Chavez too.

KTXdm9
June 2, 2012, 08:51 PM
Chavez in a power grab? Who woulda thunk it???

22-rimfire
June 2, 2012, 11:14 PM
Doesn't surprise me in the least. But you will notice that prior to banning private ownership, they had to first control sales of firearms and ammunition via a permit system if not outright registration. I just hope that the military does not have the will to enfoce this new law.

GambJoe
June 3, 2012, 07:16 PM
The article says 18,000 murders last year, my bet is most people will be holding onto their guns. Chavez doesn't have the competence or the manpower to enforce a law like that.

22-rimfire
June 3, 2012, 10:28 PM
The problem is that a significant number of people will in fact turn their firearms in. That is what honest people do > obey the law. The same would happen in the US if such a law was passed.

ZCORR Jay
June 4, 2012, 09:51 AM
It certainly will be interesting to see how things unfold from here on out. My guess is that they really won't see a decrease in murder rates. Even if gun related murders ( however they define them) drop I'd bet there is a rise in murders from other things like knives.

22-rimfire
June 4, 2012, 10:53 AM
I expect no decrease in significant crime numbers (in particular murders) as a result of this law. Those that have an afinity to potentially commit criminal acts will not abide by this law or any other law. Hence, what is the purpose of the law? People control... But Chavez doesn't have a long life ahead of him due to his cancer. He really doesn't have much of a future, but he can affect who takes power after his death or retirement.

I do think there are many in the USA that will be watching the results of implementing this law closely on both sides of the gun control issue.

Owen Sparks
June 4, 2012, 11:20 AM
If someone does not want you to have a gun, it is because they might give you a reason to use it.

HGUNHNTR
June 4, 2012, 09:41 PM
As if there were any question to Hugo's intention, a quick check on Human Rights Watch.com revealed that 1 in 5 crimes commited in Venezuela were perpetrated by the police. Also interesting to note that this ban does not apply to the police. Way to go Hugo.

armoredman
June 4, 2012, 10:32 PM
Would be interesting to timeline the gun control movement in Chavez' Venezuela, and timeline it to the reported crime rates.

Swing
June 4, 2012, 10:40 PM
Not too surprising. His Marxist pal Mao said "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

sansone
June 5, 2012, 07:46 AM
Not suprised that a dictator like Chavez would do it, but it is such a shame that the article that was linked, reads like it was written by Chavez's PR people. I know it is the BBC so I am not suprised, but i am sad. A news report about a dictator removing rights away from people is written in such a positive light.
I am always amazed at the public reaction to ANY removal of freedoms. We truly are sheep looking for a shepherd. Governments use that against us. "for public good or safety" is the wording you must watch for

Steel Horse Rider
June 5, 2012, 11:52 AM
Its for the children.......:barf:

razorback2003
June 5, 2012, 12:02 PM
I doubt many in Venezuela will turn in guns. Guns are a status symbol in Latin America just like in the USA.

I guess legally the system will be like Mexico where people can own guns with military permission and have to buy them from a military store. But then again most people there ignore that law too and buy/sell what they want because the law is not really enforced.

If you enjoyed reading about "Venezuela Bans Private Gun Ownership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!