Any value on the open market for those empty cartridge boxes?

PDA

intercooler
June 4, 2012, 11:09 PM
I have a ton of empty ammo boxes. Would it even pay to put a for sale post up? Anyone buy the empties or should they just be trashed?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any value on the open market for those empty cartridge boxes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EchoM70
June 4, 2012, 11:25 PM
I think Midway sells blank ones for handloads and such, IIRC they run like 12 bucks for 100 boxes. So IMO it wouldn't really be worth the effort, I would just give them away.

paintballdude902
June 4, 2012, 11:26 PM
old or new? i save mine along with the plastic or foam inside for reloads

intercooler
June 5, 2012, 12:07 AM
It was new ammo I shot them all. Been saving the empties for I don't know what.

Owen Sparks
June 5, 2012, 12:22 AM
Really old ammo boxes are collectable. Every once and a while you will see an antique box at a gun show. The kicker is we are not going to live long enough for our empties to get really old.

mnrivrat
June 5, 2012, 03:08 AM
If it is just the boxes without the empty brass, then modern stuff is pretty much worthless.
Fold them down and put them in a box for the grandkids to find in 50 years and then they might be worth a bit.

asia331
June 5, 2012, 03:19 AM
I just use 'em for reloads

Deus Machina
June 5, 2012, 03:28 AM
I generally hang onto mine, traded them to friends that reload. If nothing else, it would get them to pick up the pizza tab.

If you know people like me, they might appreciate certain brands. For instance, I grab Sellier & Bellot boxes out of the can at the range, because they take up less space and fit nicely into 30-cal ammo cans.

1911Tuner
June 5, 2012, 03:42 AM
I use the plastic trays in Blazer Brass boxes to store cast bullets nose down after sizing and lubing. Keeps'em separate, and they're stackable. When it's time to load, just flip'em over on a board and go.

Don't know if there's a market for'em. I do know that other bullet casters who've seen my system have adopted it, and scrounge the trash cans at the range for the trays.

evan price
June 5, 2012, 05:31 AM
I save certain factory ammo cartons and sleeves for packing my reloads. Otherwise, they are trash.

Old boxes- anything without a bar code- might have collector value to someone. I still hang on to pre-barcode boxes when I find them. A friend was building a shadowbox to display a couple of old pocket pistols and I had some old blue & yellow Winchester-Western Staynless and green & red Remington-Union Metallic Cartridge boxes that he found nice in there.

beatledog7
June 5, 2012, 07:43 AM
Some of the inner trays make good reloading blocks for .223 rounds. Others I use for storing reloads.

I like to separate the box at the seam and reverse it so the old printed label is on the inside, then relabel the blank inside with my data.

Can't imagine any of them having real value for anyone else.

ljnowell
June 5, 2012, 12:19 PM
I snag all of the 38/357 boxes I can that have the foam or plastic inserts in them. They make great boxes for my reloads. Put a stick on label on the front with load data and stick 'em on a shelf.

FROGO207
June 5, 2012, 11:47 PM
I saved about 1K worth of the CCI .22 100 round plastic packs. Then I pack the bulk .22 ammo into it for range trips. Good to meter 10 rounds at a time for the Ruger MKII pistols and the 10-22 when loading the MAG's.:) I use the other plastic pistol box inserts for 50 round loading blocks when I can get the rounds to fit in it.

T Bran
June 5, 2012, 11:59 PM
The only ones I seem to keep are the .22 rimfire plastic slip top boxes but havent figured out why yet just like them I guess.
All of my reloads go into 50 or 100 round plastic flip top boxes with the data both inside the lid and outside on one end. I learned to double label as after a while the outside label can get tough to read.
Unless they are really old or uncommon just give them to someone who is in need or toss them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any value on the open market for those empty cartridge boxes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!