Lightest handgun available (for CCW while running)

PDA

FlaBoy
June 5, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hey all,

Due to a recent change in my home address and work hours, I now find myslf going for my daily run in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood (had a friend shot and killed on his front porch 3 blocks away) often after dark. Needless to say, I now carry on my runs. My poblem is my current carry piece (Kahr CW40) is just too dang heavy. For slow short runs of 3-4 miles its tolerable (barely) but anything longer or faster causes it to pull my shorts down and the weight starts causing back/leg twinges from being imbalanced. So I'm in the market for something to carry while I run.

As I sometimes go for looooong runs, I am basically looking for the LIGHTEST WEIGHT handgun out there, weight is my primary concern. For instance I first looked @ .22 magnum derringers figuring they'd be lightest. Yes I know that's substandard for personal defense, but 2 shots of something is better than nothing (which is my alternative). Surprisingly, the lightest gun I could find so far was a keltec pf32 semiauto (.32 cal), @ 6.6 ounces unloaded (lightest derringer was about 10 oz).

Basically, I'm wondering what other lighttweight handguns are out there, is there anything lighter than a pf32? Or similar weight with something more powerful than a .32? And please, if your only input will be to tell me how a .32 or .22 mag isn't big enough for self defense, please save yourslf the effort unless you can suggest a similar weight gun chambered in something bigger. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Also I'm not limiting this ti semi-autos. If there are revolvers out there in the same weight range, i'd be interested. Just haven't looked into them much. I know ruger makes the LCR, and S&W have some super fancy alloy & titanium wheel guns. Not sure where they line up, weightwise though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lightest handgun available (for CCW while running)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve H
June 5, 2012, 03:12 PM
Kel-Tec PF 9

Naybor
June 5, 2012, 03:41 PM
Check out a Ruger LCP (My carry weapon)

toivo
June 5, 2012, 03:57 PM
Kel-Tec PF 9
I have a PF9 and a P32. The PF9 is substantially heavier: 18.2 oz. loaded vs. 9.4 oz. -- almost double the weight. Not only is the pistol itself considerably larger, but the weight differential of 9mm rounds vs. .32 is significant. Sometimes I pocket-carry the P32, and I will literally forget that it's there. (I hope that I'll remember in case I should ever need it. :uhoh:)

You need to decide what your minimum caliber requirement is. If you really want a 9, you'll pay a weight penalty. I would recommend the P32 over pretty much any derringer. Not only does it give you eight rounds instead of two, but it's also not that hard to shoot it accurately at short range with a little practice.

The Kel-Tec P3AT gives you a little more oomph (.380 vs. .32), but one less round and 11.1 oz. total weight. Also, it doesn't lock open after firing the last round -- that's important to me, but YMMV.

FlaBoy
June 5, 2012, 04:02 PM
KelTec PF-9: 12.7 oz

I've already discounted pretty much any 9mm pistol I could find, they're all way too heavy (though please correct me if there's one in my weight range I'm overlooking). As for the others:

KelTec P3AT: 8.3 oz
Ruger LCP: 9.4 oz

The two .380s are possibilities, but even the lighter KelTec is still 25% heavier than the P32. And I know 2 ounces doesn't sound like a lot, but trust me, after 20-30 miles, 2 extra ounces rubbing on your skin and bouncing on your hip is definitely noticeable.

I guess the question becomes is a .380 THAT much of an improvement over a .32, that its worth the extra weight? Also, with the .32 you get one extra round.

And the only reason I was originally thinking derringer was I assumed they would be waaaaay lighter than any semiauto I could find. I was surprised that even one chambered in .22 was so heavy. Not considering them anymore.

Striker
June 5, 2012, 04:21 PM
What about a S&W 360PD in .357? Weight is 12 oz. Only 5 rounds, but in a much better cartridge performance wise.

YMMV

Certaindeaf
June 5, 2012, 04:22 PM
You could carry a sack of rocks on your back like many competitive athletes in training.

DefiantDad
June 5, 2012, 05:34 PM
Just thinking out of the box. If the neighborhood is THAT dangerous, the money you spend on a new gun + ammo, could be used for a treadmill. I train on a treadmill (at the gym) mostly because I hate having to stop at street crossings, etc. and partly the safety factor (not just crime but wayward cars). I remember seeing some basic treadmills for less than $200 at a fitness store sale.

I am no expert but a low-powered gun (sub-9mm), that you need to pull out and threaten the attacker(s) with (who has a gun(s), in your scenario, and the element of surprise), could make the situation worse and give you a false sense of security/firepower.

beatledog7
June 5, 2012, 05:42 PM
Another OOTB thought. Sounds like you're in great shape, and I bet your top speed is pretty high. Since you'r already running, why not run away rather than get involved in a shooting?

dev_null
June 5, 2012, 06:01 PM
Is there some way you can chest carry, like a bellyband holster but higher, or a running shirt with an elastic pocket or pouch on the chest?

SharpsDressedMan
June 5, 2012, 06:01 PM
I thought there was one of those S&W scandiums or airweights that was 10.5oz empty?

LightningMan
June 5, 2012, 06:14 PM
If, and thats a big IF, you can find one that works, as mine didn't, a Diamondback 9 is pretty light. It weighs just over 12 oz. unloaded, plus you have 6+1 rounds of 9mm too. These light, small 9mm'ers have some issues, but some have been good too. Just wish I had got one of the good ones, as I am still waiting to get mine back for the second time. LM

jimbo555
June 5, 2012, 06:26 PM
4miles is a short run?! Maybe get a bicycle. Seriously, I think a keltec 32 is the answer.

the count
June 5, 2012, 08:04 PM
If your neighborhood is that dangerous I really would not go for the lightest gun. I would go for a full size whatever w/2 mags and just throw all that into a small backpack or even a roomy fanny pack.

DefiantDad
June 5, 2012, 08:42 PM
The problem I see is, if this is the kind of neighborhood where his friend gets shot on the front porch, it is also the kind of place where you are running, some guys pop out from the corner with guns pointed at you. Now what are you going to do? No matter what firearm is in the pack, you still need to reach into it. I am not sure the criminals will let you do that. Most like they will either shoot you without warning, or tell you to freeze, and get on the ground while they search you for your wallet (and the firearm would be a bonus).

mgkdrgn
June 5, 2012, 09:20 PM
And please, if your only input will be to tell me how a .32 or .22 mag isn't big enough for self defense, please save yourslf the effort unless you can suggest a similar weight gun chambered in something bigger. Thanks guys!

I wouldn't completely discount 22mag. It's a right nasty little cartridge that never quite gets it's due in the SD world. And there is new ammo out that makes it even nastier.

NAA makes a 5 round 22mag revolver called the "Black Widow" that is my daily carry when I'm in shorts and tshirt (which is about 8 months+ of the year here in SC). Taurus and S&W both make 22mag revolvers (8 and 9 rounds I seem to recall), and Taurus has an "ultralite" version that comes in at just about 18 oz.

You might have to switch to shorts that you can put a good gunbelt on, or go to some kind of belly band holster.

Soldiernurse
June 5, 2012, 09:27 PM
PF-9

... enuff said

scaatylobo
June 5, 2012, 09:49 PM
Run someplace else and AVOID a possible confrontation.

that is THE way to win a 'contest'.

But to answer your query,the S&W 360 weighs 9 ounces and do NOT try .357 loads in it.

The 316 S&W is at least as light in .22 rimfire w/ 8 rounds in it.

They have the size to "possibly" stop an attack with a visual [ if that is possible ].

they are both a 'J' frame revolver and I own and shoot both.

Captains1911
June 5, 2012, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a bad idea

wrangler708
June 5, 2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.pistolwear.com/

Try one of these.

steven58
June 5, 2012, 10:23 PM
For long runs I think you would be better served trying to improve your method of carry rather than reduce the weight carried in an uncomfortable manner.

here are a couple of options:

http://www.pistolwear.com/?gclid=CNmj9cK_uLACFUJo4AodBG3Y5w

http://www.activeprogear.com/jogger_holster.html

shootniron
June 5, 2012, 11:27 PM
You may need to move...:what:

Shadow 7D
June 5, 2012, 11:41 PM
Kel Tec P32
more rounds, less weight, and while 9mm is nice, 32 is plenty at 'social' range.

25cschaefer
June 5, 2012, 11:57 PM
There are watches that weigh more than that Keltec, maybe you could carry one in a band on your wrist.
Put a similar band on the other wrist and people would think you are wearing sweat bands.
Better yet, carry two like that.

Stevie-Ray
June 6, 2012, 12:07 AM
I have my watch in my left hand and my loaded KT P32 in my right and frankly I can't tell the weight apart, so the above post is correct. It's my BUG, but also my "everything" gun. It's on me whenever I'm dressed, even when I haven't yet donned my primary. It would definitely be my suggestion.

Hunter125
June 6, 2012, 12:19 AM
You might try a holster shirt like one from 5.11. Never tried one myself, but they seem like they would be good for a run. Might allow you to carry a bigger gun.

CDR_Glock
June 6, 2012, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't get a lightweight gun. I'd recommend a better holster. If you're worried about getting shot, then get a Ballistic vest...or run on a treadmill.

dprice3844444
June 6, 2012, 01:08 AM
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Products.aspx?c=6
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=9&p=CS 252
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Products.aspx?c=2817

FlaBoy
June 6, 2012, 01:11 AM
Wow guys, lots of feedback, thanks! First let me clarify a little bit. The neighborhood isn't quite as bad as I apparently made it sound. It features regularly on the police blotter for drug arrests, solicitation, etc. and the the occasional violent crimes (of which my buddy Ian being shot is one of the more extreme examples). It's not like I'm living in Harlem in the late 80's, but certainly what I'd call a rough neighborhood.

As for some people suggesting I should not carry and just plan on fleeing the situation: that is always my general plan. Even when I'm not running, and carrying a hi-capacity .40, .45 or 10mm with one or more extra mags, my philosophy is if there is any exit route that allows me to not suffer harm and exit the situation, I will take it. I'm no hero and if I can walk away without pulling my gun, I'll do it every time. I carry for the very small chance I am put in a situation where that is NOT an option. I will do the same when I am running for the same reasons. Even though we have a "stand your ground" law in FL, I don't plan on ever using it (we see how well that works out for some people). I have no problem tucking tail and leaving my pride behind me if it means I get to live another day. I still want the security of a firearm in case the option of running away isn't available to me. And for the treadmill suggestions, that's not a bad idea, but I do don't do well with treadmills. For anything over a half hour or so, I start getting a little motion sick. I guess it has something to do with having proprioception telling my brain I'm moving, but having a stationary visual field.

I think I've already decided to get one of those pistolwear holsters for whatever i end up getting (came across them earlier) or that activeprogear one... like the chest rig idea, and looks like it has room for a few other essentials. Also, thanks for recommending the S&W 360, I'm not familiar with those, I'll have to try and handle one at the shops or a gun show soon and see how it feels.

Thanks again guys, all the suggestions and advice are welcome (even if I don't end up following it). I come here for advice for all the diverse opinions, I'm a firm believer that we learn as much (more?) from the opinions we don't agree with as those we do. You've certainly opened my eyes to some things I hadn't considered. So thanks, and keep 'em coming!!

P.S. for those who made comments about 3 miles being a long run: GET OFF YOU BUTTS! :D My 11 year old niece runs 5ks (a gnat's ass over 3 miles). I used to weigh 250 lbs (I'm only about 5'9", current healthy weight of about 175) with knee and back problems, so I know how hard it is to get started. If you can manage to work your way up to even 1 mile every other day, you'll be amazed at how much more energy you have, how much better you sleep, how much weight you lose, and most importantly (at least to me) how much your sex life improves :eek:

spotch
June 6, 2012, 01:27 AM
My first thought was s&w 340. My second thought was the s&w351c, which is the 22mag lightweight revolver.. Couple ounces lighter than the 340 empty, and the advantage should be magnified when fully loaded (5 rds 38spl weighs more than 7 rounds of 22mag). Total package should be 12oz or so, which is pretty damn respectable.

If those are both out, I GUESS an lcp would be my next option. The size of the lcp (so small in the grip i can't seem to hold it comfortably) and lack of sights and long trigger make me glad I don't have one. If I could get a revolver close to the lcp in weight (fully loaded I think the 351c would be within an ounce or so of the lcp) I absolutely would without a second thought.

Full disclosure: I'm not a fan of the "carry often, shoot rarely" mentality. If I'm carrying it, I want it to be what I'm MOST comfortable and proficient at shooting. So my answer will be clouded by my desire for an easily shootable carry gun. If you're planning on buying something, putting a couple hundred through it to break it in and never shoot it again, then what I see as the sw snub's shootability advantage isnt that important lol

FlaBoy
June 6, 2012, 01:46 AM
I wouldn't get a lightweight gun. I'd recommend a better holster. If you're worried about getting shot, then get a Ballistic vest...or run on a treadmill.
No offense, I mean this honestly... why did you even bother to reply to this thread? I mean, I specifically said that if your only input was to say something snarky about me needing a bigger gun, to save your breath (see below). And please, if your only input will be to tell me how a .32 or .22 mag isn't big enough for self defense, please save yourslf the effort unless you can suggest a similar weight gun chambered in something bigger. I truly wonder what kind of person takes the time and energy to click on 'reply to thread' and type out a response, then click on the post reply button, knowing full well that their comment is immaterial to the topic of discussion. Would you do this in real life? If a group of co-workers were having a discussion about which porsche is best, would you waste the time to interrupt and tell them that a GMC 1/2 ton pickup is the best porsche? Maybe I'm assuming too much, and you are so drastically removed from the concept of exercise, physical fitness and exertion that you honestly don't realize that your suggestions to wear ballistic armor, or carry a 20+ oz. gun on a 20-30 mile run is impractical. I'm going to go with that assumption, as the other alternative is to assume you're just a troll.

Sorry, I realize this is a little harsh, but I REALLY hate it on forums when people ask a specific question, and others reply with snarky comments that do nothing to promote discussion on the desired topic.

Quiet
June 6, 2012, 03:31 AM
Anoter vote for the Kel-Tec P-32.

It's so small and light, you forget it's even there.

cheeze
June 6, 2012, 04:19 AM
My vote for a PF9. It may not be the lightest of the options, but if it wasn't light enough for me, I'd find a better way to carry it so that it doesn't beat and chafe me while running. That way you can keep a respectable caliber and still be lightweight. You can also get a .45 that only weighs 12 ounces (Heizer defense). That's a couple ounces less than the light PF9, but only 2 shots at the ready. The keltec .32 weighs a little over half that. You have to calculate the weight of the rounds in the mag to give a more accurate idea of what each will weigh when you carry.

MedWheeler
June 6, 2012, 06:56 AM
Yet another vote for the P32. I carry a PF9 as an EDC, but went with the P32 for those situations when I need "truly light, ready, and hidden." The reasons I chose it over the P3-AT include the extra round, last-shot slidelock, and faster follow-up when shooting due to the gun being so much more controllable.
If you've never shot one, try to find someone with one to try out. They really are easy to shoot, even in rapid-fire.
The thread below describes my first impressions with mine:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=599654

If you do go this route, then stop by www.thektog.org/forum and read about the P32 and, in particular, management of "rimlock".

MedWheeler
June 6, 2012, 07:00 AM
It's so small and light, you forget it's even there.

Though I'd hope that, if the need for it arises, you'd remember you have it..! :D

Resist Evil
June 6, 2012, 07:12 AM
Just thinking out of the box. If the neighborhood is THAT dangerous, the money you spend on a new gun + ammo, could be used for a treadmill. I train on a treadmill (at the gym) mostly because I hate having to stop at street crossings, etc. and partly the safety factor (not just crime but wayward cars). I remember seeing some basic treadmills for less than $200 at a fitness store sale.

I am no expert but a low-powered gun (sub-9mm), that you need to pull out and threaten the attacker(s) with (who has a gun(s), in your scenario, and the element of surprise), could make the situation worse and give you a false sense of security/firepower.
Based on the OP's neighborhood and time of day description, I second the treadmill idea.

j1
June 6, 2012, 08:36 AM
I was once handed a Scandium Smith and Wesson revolver just to feel the weight. I do not know any specs about it but it was extremely light.

Just did a search and found that a S & W M & P 357 magnum in scandium with a titanium cylinder weighing 13.3 ounces.

Bernie Lomax
June 6, 2012, 08:45 AM
Check out a Ruger LCP (My carry weapon)

I second this. I do about a mile every morning and usually carry my LCP. It's a pleasure to carry and I can barely even feel it. By contrast I occasionally open carry my Speed Six instead of the LCP and that thing really weighs me down. It really makes a difference in the difficulty of the run.

If you can manage to work your way up to even 1 mile every other day, you'll be amazed at how much more energy you have, how much better you sleep, how much weight you lose, and most importantly (at least to me) how much your sex life improves

I agree 100%. Ever since I started running, it's done wonders for my health--both physical and mental. Best decision I ever made. I'm a firm believer that a mile a day keeps the doctor away.

LubeckTech
June 6, 2012, 11:08 AM
Not the lightest of the guns suggested (but still very light) I would consider a Ruger LCR due to it's ergonomics. It is a very personal decision weight is one consideration but so is the ability to deploy it in an emergency. As it comes out of the box the LCR is very easy for me to draw while securely concealed -YMMV.

jpruitt
June 6, 2012, 11:24 AM
I was also going to suggest the North American Arms mini-revolvers in .22 lr or .22 mag. Almost all of them come in at less than 6 oz, and they have holster grips with pocket clips available that allow you to fold the gun up and clip it inside your pocket or waistband.

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms.html

DNS
June 6, 2012, 12:12 PM
Smallest and lightest gun I've found that i like is the NAA in 22 magnum. The 22lr was smaller and lighter but just too tiny for my hands.

I carry mine in pocket everywhere and usually forget its there.

kayak-man
June 6, 2012, 11:30 PM
Its all in HOW you carry it.

I usually carry a Ruger SR9 when I'm running (if I'm carrying) but today, I opted for a pocket carried LCP. The LCP is a much lighter and smaller gun, but it was much less enjoyable than the larger gun carried IWB.

I'd look into the LCP, or an equivalent .380. Maybe you can find a small 9mm.

If the area is as bad as you make it sound, it may be worth carrying the extra weight of a larger gun, if you feel you're going to be likely to need it.

Hope this helps:
Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

CDR_Glock
June 7, 2012, 09:21 AM
Its all in HOW you carry it.

I usually carry a Ruger SR9 when I'm running (if I'm carrying) but today, I opted for a pocket carried LCP. The LCP is a much lighter and smaller gun, but it was much less enjoyable than the larger gun carried IWB.

I'd look into the LCP, or an equivalent .380. Maybe you can find a small 9mm.

If the area is as bad as you make it sound, it may be worth carrying the extra weight of a larger gun, if you feel you're going to be likely to need it.

Hope this helps:
Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

What holsters do you use? I was just curious.

For activities such as these, I go with a balance of a Galco Stow and Go with a gun that won't be too awkward to bounce off of my P.T. Gear like my Ruger LCR 38+P. I have a Supertuck but that only works with belts, really.

A belly band if I need deep concealment. I see concealment shirts are also helpful if I'm dressed in a fitted/tailored suit, since ankle carry is pretty obvious to me (big bulge).

Stevie-Ray
June 7, 2012, 05:21 PM
I actually walk. Don't laugh, I walk rather fast and you'll get there eventually also. Beauty of walking, even briskly like me, is that you don't have to change what you normally wear for CC. My normal EDCs are with me on all walks. And I've lost 15 pounds in the last 4 or 5 months and that's good because it will probably stay off.

Onward Allusion
June 7, 2012, 08:23 PM
FlaBoy
Lightest handgun available (for CCW while running)

P-32, P3AT, & LCP are the guns that will offer a good balance between weight & power. I carried the P-32 for about a year on a regular basis. Didn't even know it was there half the time.

The PF-9 is too big IMO. I'm wearing one right now, and it's pretty much the same size as my P-11. I might as well carry the P-11 and have an extra 5 rounds.

My suggestion would be to go with an armband type of holster and go with a LCP or P3AT.

FlaBoy
June 8, 2012, 09:09 AM
What holsters do you guys sue running? I was lookign for maybe an arm-band style or I've seen a few belly-band style one out there. Any suggestions on specific makes/models that you guys have experience with? I don;t like the idea of a fanny pack, I've tried using those before to hold powerbars, etc on my longer runs, and they flop around way to much, I imagine it'd be much worse with a loaded boom-stick in there. Basically I'm looking for something that holds it tight to my body and would allow for reasonably quick access. I think anything that clips to my running shorts is out... they are super flimsy, and the style with the built-in underwear, so pretty much no room inside the waistband for a gun. Thanks again guys.

And here I figured I might get one or two responses to this thread. Glad you guys managed to surprise me :)

CDR_Glock
June 8, 2012, 09:14 AM
I personally like the "Belly Band". It's stable. The concealment shirts are also good.

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/44_Belly+Band+Holsters/6920_UnderTech+Undercover+Concealment+Shirt+-+FREE+Belly+Band+Offer/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D44%26_Belly%2BBand%2BHolsters%2F

Stay safe.

holdencm9
June 8, 2012, 09:31 AM
Running is weird. I've found that with my LCP in a blackhawk IWB holster I can just clip it into the elastic band of my shorts at about 4 o'clock and it is totally fine, although my runs max out at 5 or 6 miles. However 3:30 or 4:30 and it bounces up and down like crazy.

I have also noticed that my typical jogging pace works for this method of carry, but when I do bursts of speed to catch a light or something, it starts to bounce up and down a lot more. It is still secure, just a bit uncomfortable to have the 12 oz or whatever it weighs fully loaded bouncing up and down on your butt.

There is probably a better more secure way to carry it, and if I were to employ a belly band or something I could maybe carry more comfortably, but my thought is that (male) runners aren't often attacked for the simple fact that they usually don't have anything worth taking except maybe an iPod (which I don't run with, for the whole "situational-awareness" thing). There is still the chance of unprovoked random acts of violence, gang initiations or something so I still try to carry, but I think .380 is plenty.

Also from a ST&T perspective, make sure to mix up your runs and routes. Don't do the same thing at the same time every time. If I wanted to get the jump on an unassuming runner and I knew he ran past this same corner every day at the same time, I'd be using that knowledge to find a nice hiding spot and wait for you to stroll past.

HGUNHNTR
June 8, 2012, 09:37 AM
The NAA .22mag black widow is 6.2 oz, I would expect the .22lr version to be even lighter yet. I have carried an LCP in an armband--kind of looks like an Iphone in an arm band, on my longer runs. I can tell you with certainty that after 10 or 12 miles, it was definitely an issue. Any imbalance really becomes noticeable to me at that point.

ForumSurfer
June 8, 2012, 09:46 AM
I use this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/648632/desantis-belly-band-holster-small-medium-frame-semi-automatic-revolver-30-to-34-waist-elastic-tan

And a big old glock 26.

Do I like it? Not really. It stays put if I wear it high, but it makes the draw very, very awkward. Nothing flops around, very tight and secure. If I wear it with a dryfit shirt, you can definitely see something is there on my body shape, unless I wear a really loose dry fit shirt which sort of defeats the purpose. I do a little more than running, I typically run around the block (1 mile) and throw in some strength training at the local playground...monkey bars, climb the fire pole with only my arms as well as bicep and shoulder pullups to failure. Wash, rinse, repeat for three miles. I never have to check it, it always feels tight and secure against my side. However, if anyone catches a glimpse, they'll poke fun of you for wearing a girdle. :neener:

Honestly, it is a quiet neighborhood and I only carry when I'm running near dawn or dusk. If it is midday, I'll forgo the hassle and not carry.

I think I'd be happier with what holdencm9 mentioned, I just haven't got around to buying one, yet. I'd probably be more inclined to carry more often while running.

markdaniel
June 8, 2012, 09:50 AM
http://www.concealedcarrypro.com/content-product_info/product_id-2030/urban_strider_holster_pack.html One of these may work for you with the gun you are all ready used to.

ForumSurfer
June 8, 2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.concealedcarrypro.com/con...ster_pack.html One of these may work for you with the gun you are all ready used to.

Speaking for myself, I'd probably wear that once and then never strap on that big ol contraption again. Plus, those hot, humid SE summer afternoons will be here soon and just my little belly band is pushing it for me (in regards to too much added material making me too hot).

FWIW, I can also carry a g19 in that bellyband I linked.

eng30312
June 8, 2012, 11:22 AM
0.37" x 4.17" x 1.0", 70 Caliber, Unlimited Capacity, Fully Silenced, Only 1.88 Oz, Inexpensive, and 100% reliable.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/530

And I'm not really kidding either. I feel better with this than a NAA Mini for the reasons listed above.

PabloJ
June 8, 2012, 12:01 PM
Hey all,

Due to a recent change in my home address and work hours, I now find myslf going for my daily run in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood (had a friend shot and killed on his front porch 3 blocks away) often after dark. Needless to say, I now carry on my runs. My poblem is my current carry piece (Kahr CW40) is just too dang heavy. For slow short runs of 3-4 miles its tolerable (barely) but anything longer or faster causes it to pull my shorts down and the weight starts causing back/leg twinges from being imbalanced. So I'm in the market for something to carry while I run.

As I sometimes go for looooong runs, I am basically looking for the LIGHTEST WEIGHT handgun out there, weight is my primary concern. For instance I first looked @ .22 magnum derringers figuring they'd be lightest. Yes I know that's substandard for personal defense, but 2 shots of something is better than nothing (which is my alternative). Surprisingly, the lightest gun I could find so far was a keltec pf32 semiauto (.32 cal), @ 6.6 ounces unloaded (lightest derringer was about 10 oz).

Basically, I'm wondering what other lighttweight handguns are out there, is there anything lighter than a pf32? Or similar weight with something more powerful than a .32? And please, if your only input will be to tell me how a .32 or .22 mag isn't big enough for self defense, please save yourslf the effort unless you can suggest a similar weight gun chambered in something bigger. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Also I'm not limiting this ti semi-autos. If there are revolvers out there in the same weight range, i'd be interested. Just haven't looked into them much. I know ruger makes the LCR, and S&W have some super fancy alloy & titanium wheel guns. Not sure where they line up, weightwise though.
Since ammo is heavy and you want powerful enough round I would look into five-shot S&W revolver with Sc frame and Ti cylinder chambered for .38/.357 round. I used to own small framed short barreled S&W with Al frame and Al cylinder, but had to stick with low pressure .38 cowboy loads so the cylinder would not give. Not ideal setup imo.

ForumSurfer
June 8, 2012, 12:39 PM
Since ammo is heavy and you want powerful enough round I would look into five-shot S&W revolver with Sc frame and Ti cylinder chambered for .38/.357 round.

I wish i had kept my LCR. I wasn't as active a runner when I owned it. Now it would suit my needs perfectly.

Onward Allusion
June 8, 2012, 01:12 PM
Armband is more suited for running than a bellyband holster, IMO. A bellyband will cause chaffing and it will get wet and uncomfortable in a short time. The drawback with an armband holster is that you're kind of limited to LCP, P3AT, P-32, NAA Mini's type of handguns.

Also, drawing is a little faster than a bellyband, because when running, you're going to have to use the snap to secure it.

- Lift wet shirt, fumble with snap and draw

- vs -

- extend left arm, rip Velcro and draw

ForumSurfer
June 8, 2012, 01:57 PM
A bellyband will cause chaffing and it will get wet and uncomfortable in a short time.

Yes, it is uncomfortable. That is why 9/10 times you'll find me running unarmed.

Keep in mind when I say "uncomfortable," I'm the kind of guy that doesn't mind rtf texture glocks or other guns with very aggressive checkering on the grips rubbing against my bare skin in an IWB holster with a combat grip. So if I say "slightly uncomfortable," most folks I've talked with will say it is "unbearable."

I never chaffed, though. Apparently I'm not very sensitive.

Dean1818
June 8, 2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.pistolwear.com/

Try one of these.
I always carry a CM9 in one of those when i run.

Its so comfortable, you could probably go with a heavier pistol in that band

I live in Texas.......

You will be AOk with this one

No chaffing...... Ever

MCgunner
June 8, 2012, 11:12 PM
Five ounces.... http://i47.tinypic.com/6r7gab.jpg

My Black Widow is a little more shootable, quite accurate actually, and in .22 magnum. It has real sights which helps. I load it with Hornady Personal Defense. The .22LR version pictured is an also/always gun. .22 mag, IMHO, is as good or better than any .32ACP. Hornady PD is accurate and packs about the same punch and is impressive in jello on the Hornady site. The Black Widow weighs 10 ounces and is more compact than a P32.

sixgunner455
June 8, 2012, 11:24 PM
www.smartcarry.com. I haven't run seriously in several years, due to some physical issues, but I used to do it every day, and the smartcarry was my solution. Fanny packs bounce. Water carriers/packs are slow to draw from. Smartcarry+compression shorts under my regular athletic shorts, with the holster and pistol between the two layers, and an untucked (or no) shirt. I used a Keltec P11, and then a S&W Airweight Centennial, model 642, which was better due to being all stainless and aluminum, so no rust issues. I used that running 10+ milers, fast 5k, fartleks, etc, in weather from snowstorms in the Rocky Mountains to Georgia and Florida summer heat and humidity.

I was, and am still sometimes, tempted by the P32 due to its weight and slimness, but I find my brother's sample to be difficult to get a good grip on. He carries his every day, though, and loves it.

Nowadays, I mostly hike in the mountains for my cardio, so I carry a .357 revolver on my belt when I'm doing that, but when I do run - only short distances now :( - I use the smartcarry and my 642.

Robert
June 8, 2012, 11:37 PM
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/
Rohrbaugh R9

Pyro
June 9, 2012, 01:46 PM
I've carried my derringer in the side pocket of one of those water bottle holders as I've ran.

dogfacedsoldier
June 9, 2012, 06:35 PM
After being attacked by a dog during a morning run, which resulting in me having to choke it out as it chewed on my thigh, I carry a .380 LCP with belt clip for running, cycling ect.. Very light weight and concealable... I forget it is on my person. It is a no brainer to clean (sweat act), and goes bang every time you pull the trigger. Nice inexpensive utilitarian piece.

Prince Yamato
June 9, 2012, 11:19 PM
Kel tec p32. You won't get much lighter, plus you won't feel bad sweating all over it.

JoeShmoe
June 9, 2012, 11:22 PM
I run about 75 miles a month carrying a 340PD in a Pistolwear holster. I used a belly band previously, but the Pistolwear is more comfortable, keeps the gun dry, and has room for a speedstrip, and my CCW credential. I am very comfortable running with this setup. The gun is light, and powerful, and the holster is very comfortable for running.

P.S. I have a scar on my right knee from the pit bull that bit me when I was running while NOT carrying.

MCgunner
June 10, 2012, 04:17 PM
After being attacked by a dog during a morning run, which resulting in me having to choke it out as it chewed on my thigh, I carry a .380 LCP with belt clip for running, cycling ect.. Very light weight and concealable... I forget it is on my person. It is a no brainer to clean (sweat act), and goes bang every time you pull the trigger. Nice inexpensive utilitarian piece.

I was attacked by a dog and shot it, big chow off his leash that was after my cats. I was arrested, spent the night in the drunk tank with all the drunks, was charged first with shooting a handgun in the city limits and "disorderly conduct", later changed to cruelty to animals, judge dismissed it at the arraignment hearing, still out 2K on legal expenses. Now, I carry pepper gas for such confrontations and my firearm is for more lethal affairs involving armed criminals. At least I got my gun and carry permit back. Pays to have a non-lethal defense option on your person. If it don't work, then I'll resort to the gun and take my punishment for wishing to stay injury free. :rolleyes: Seems dogs have more rights than humans now days.

Anyway, a LCP worked for Rick Perry. :D

Thompsoncustom
June 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
Kel tec makes the PMR-30 which is a .22mag that holds 30 rounds and is 14oz unloaded, Tho it looks to be more of a full sized gun then a sub-compact. Sure a lot of round for the weight as I heard load is not much more.

whalerman
June 10, 2012, 05:06 PM
I hate to say it, guys. But I live in an area where I don't feel I have to be armed when I go out for a walk, a run, or a bike ride. If I'm in an area that I don't know so much, maybe. But I've had the choice of some safe areas to recreate.

doc2rn
June 10, 2012, 07:42 PM
I use the NAA neck holster for my 5-shot .22 WMR, looks like a set of dog tags.

Onward Allusion
June 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
whalerman
I hate to say it, guys. But I live in an area where I don't feel I have to be armed when I go out for a walk, a run, or a bike ride. If I'm in an area that I don't know so much, maybe. But I've had the choice of some safe areas to recreate.

Then you are truly blessed. However, evil can lurk anywhere and at anytime. It doesn't have to be after midnight in downtown big city.

Case in point, my wife and I were at the archery range about month ago. It's a public range that we've gone to for the past 3 years. Never had a problem. It's in a neighborhood with $500K to 1MM homes. This particular time, the range was empty with the exception of 2 younger guys and an older gentleman. We were definitely interviewed by the two younger jokers. Having a crappy little P32 on me gave me a little comfort. I'm positive that it had an impact on how I'd responded to their interview. I made sure that they knew that they were going to be in for a fight and thus I'd failed their interview. I don't think I would have ever been able to forgive myself if things went South and I wasn't able to defend my wife or myself. So there you have it, excellent neighborhood, daytime, and familiar territory. Crap can hit the fan at any time any place, and at almost 50, I might be able to go one on one if I'm lucky, but I personally feel that everyone should be armed at all times.

MCgunner
June 10, 2012, 08:52 PM
ALWAYS vigilant, no matter WHERE I am. I carry in my own home. Home invasions are a real threat.

We're moving soon. Where we're moving, there's only 2002 people in the COUNTY. The community, an unincorporated settlement, has about 260 folks in it and two churches. I'll still arm myself with something. It's pretty close to the Rio Grande, so there's always THAT threat. Could happen into a mountain lion up there, never know. I mean, if you have it and don't need it, where's the harm? If you need it and don't have it? Oh, well, hope you have a nice funeral.

JoeShmoe
June 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
Feeling safe has nothing to do with it. I feel very safe were I run, but you just never know.

philoe
June 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
Another vote for the NAA mini. I run quite a bit with mine in the built in key pocket in shorts.

tmoore912
June 11, 2012, 05:48 PM
Another user of the Pistolwear.com holster. I use a PT-ONE with a G19 and a CRKT folder. It is very comfortable and very stable. I wear mine as low as it can go on my waist/hips and pretty snug, then pull my shorts over the holster. I usually run about 3 miles several times a week, and run at about a 9 minute pace. Your Kahr CW40 would work very well with that holster. I know other guys who use this holster when running, who run a a lot faster pace than I do. I have tried everything from Belly bands to holster shirts, and this holster is far superior to the others.

I also wear mine to the gym when I lift weights.

If you don't need room for a reload, keys, knife, etc.............then just get the smaller PT-TWO. Good luck.

Shawn Dodson
June 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
You're running in Florida which means you'll be hot and sweaty. With small guns you get into "shootability" issues. You'll have more recoil to manage because of light weight. Felt recoil caused by a thin grip area against the web of your hand may make it painful to shoot. And a short grip can cause the gun to shift in your hand during recoil, especially if you're sweaty, and you'll have to readjust your grip after each shot.

I suggest you consider a small light-weight J-frame S&W revolver. I have an 8-shot model 317 in .22 LR. It has an aluminum frame and is very light (10.8 oz). It's also very shootable when hands are sweaty.

I also have a 6-shot J-frame snubbie in .327 magnum (but it's stainless steel). I believe Taurus and Charter Arms and possibly Ruger have light-weight small-frame revolvers in .327 Magnum.

Good luck!

WinThePennant
June 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
I like my S&W BG380 for super light carry.

YJake
June 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
I carry a S&W 442 IWB for 3 miles every day. If it is exceptionally hot/mid-day I'll just wear my NAA .22wmr.

Both work fine, just buy a cheap soft IWB holster and crank down on the drawstring. In my experience some light chaffing may occur until you get the right placement down. I carry mine Appendix so that I can always tell if the firearm is completely concealed or not. My CWL is clipped to the outside of my pants at 4 O'clock by my pocketknife that is clipped IWB, the clip is strong and I have never lost the license while running.

I hope this helps, it works well for me after several hundred miles now and is very simple.

-Jake

TZH
June 18, 2012, 02:31 AM
I run 3 miles about 3x a week and carry my P3AT in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster. its very light and doesn't bother me as long as my running shorts can be tightened a little with those strings. good health to ya!

dharwood
June 18, 2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for everyone's input.

I am an active person that runs, walks, cycles, multiple times per week. I will be looking into the Pistolwear.com options.

Currently (as of today on my bicycle ride and walk with the wife), when running or walking, I have been using a home-made belly band. It consists of an ACE chest wrap, (6" wide) with a piece of swede leather sewn to the body side of it. On the out facing side, I traced the outline of my LCP and sewed several seams along the outline as well as reinforcement stitching. I wrap this around my waist, insert the LCP, pull up my biking bibs or running shorts and away we go. Used it 2x today. Don't really know it is there.
When using it as a BUG, I do the same but wear it under dress clothes with the LCP under my weak arm for cross draw use.

I have also done the run using my EDC combo which is a Springfield XD45c and a Crossbreed ST. When running with this, I first dawn a technical fabric tee, then the Crossbreed on my 511 holster belt. After that my running shorts and my running shirt. The technical tee keeps the belt and holster from my skin as well as wicking away sweat. This was FAR more comfortable than I would have imagined. Since this is the combo I wear everyday, as well as when shooting IDPA, (I shoot the XD9 those days) I am very comfortable with it. Draw is quicker than with the bellyband but it is larger and more difficult for me to pull off.(5'10" and 135lbs - difficult to conceal a double stack 45 in a tight fitting tee) Most days, I find myself working out with the LCP rather than the Springer. :(

Anyway, it is more about the carry method and getting comfortable with it than the weight of the gun.

Good luck in your search. I will be investigating some of the options listed here as well since my homemade bellyband is loosing it's elastic and needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Dale

Soldiernurse
June 19, 2012, 01:11 AM
I, too, have in my collection of holsters a PT-One... and highly recommend it!

Madcap_Magician
June 19, 2012, 05:31 PM
I would recommend a Smartcarry holster with an airweight, titanium, or scandium J-frame. Ammo is heavy, so if you want to minimize that, a S&W 351C would be a nice choice. Seven shots of .22 magnum. It's not as good as a .38 Special, sure, but it's just about as good as a .380 ACP if you pick the ammo right, so it's a good bit of firepower in such a small package.

The Smartcarry is nice because it doesn't bounce and because it's heavily sweat-resistant.

Elm Creek Smith
June 19, 2012, 07:06 PM
KelTec makes a 10 round magazine for the P32, too, that extends the grip a little and may make it a bit more comforting. A belly band holster would keep it from beating you to death if you wear the pistol on your center line (belly button). I traded my P32 after I chronographed some "premium" defensive ammunition. I don't run anymore due to past injuries, but I go armed on long fairly fast walks with two alloy-framed .38 Spl snubbies, a walking stick, and a Mk3 10% pepper spray.

ECS

heeler
June 20, 2012, 06:55 PM
Some pretty good ideas here except for those that basically tell the guy to get a treadmill or hide behind the couch.
This is real life in an America with a changing and diverse population of every sort of haves and have nots out there and unless you live in the country or some sort of gated community the ills of society ARE ALREADY THERE.
All that being said I intend to look into the Pistolwear product because when I go for my afternoon run and walk,which I just returned home from,I find even with my nifty little Kel-Tec P32 trying to place it in my pocket,using an Uncle Mike's holster placed in my lightweight running shorts is simply too much weight for the elastic waistband of the shorts to support and so you get a continual flopping and pulling of the shorts.
I too have carried my Benchmade in lieu of the Kel-Tec but like the OP I also live in an area that has issues but I am not going to allow that to keep me from enjoying my life and pursuits.
It's not Dodge city on Saturday night here but it certainly is not the Ritz either.
It is what it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lightest handgun available (for CCW while running)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!