Tokarev Surplus Ammo: Bulgarian or Polish?

PDA

gfanikf
June 6, 2012, 01:35 PM
Any reason I should pick one over the other? The polish ammo at jg seems to indicate some case damage, but it's the first non Bulgy I've seen offered in a while and I wonder if it's any better or worse overall. Thoughts?

I know one thing I'm getting some now, even before my gun, before the new dry spell.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tokarev Surplus Ammo: Bulgarian or Polish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snowdog
June 6, 2012, 04:56 PM
I bought a couple tins of Polish surplus when it was plentiful and cheap (less than $90 a tin). I've only opened one of the tins, but the ammo looks wonderful and works perfectly. I'd recommend it for certain unless priced in the stratosphere.

I don't have any experience with Bulgarian 7.62x25, but have tossed around the idea of purchasing a tin to try.

wally
June 6, 2012, 05:47 PM
Polish, more consistent and fewer (near zero) duds that even the Romanian despite being 30+ years older.

Be careful with the Bulgarian There are some head stamps that are very erratic with some over pressure rounds. I shot a tin of it, with the "bad" headstamp and it was very erratic very weak and very hot rounds in the same package.

Use the search I learned I had the "bad" stuff here and never bought any more Bulgarian 7.62x25 after that experience.

The neck splits in the Polish are of no consequence since its not reloadable brass.

speedway
June 7, 2012, 07:43 AM
I have shot both, and the polish is more consistent. I haven't had any duds that didn't fire in either, but the bulgarian was not consistent.

gfanikf
June 7, 2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys, I guess it's the polish even if it's a little more money.

Snowdog want to sell a tin for slight markup to a new family member. :)

Snowdog
June 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
Snowdog want to sell a tin for slight markup to a new family member

However would I explain that to my hungry M57s? I already had to sell the CZ52 to keep them from starving. :D

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4130/5063169645_c43f710c0f.jpg

gfanikf
June 7, 2012, 12:59 PM
However would I explain that to my hungry M57s? I already had to sell the CZ52 to keep them from starving. :D

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4130/5063169645_c43f710c0f.jpg
Tell them it's going to a good cause!

I had to try. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Tokarev Surplus Ammo: Bulgarian or Polish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!