GLOCK 10mm

PDA

kayak-man
June 6, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hey guys, I'll try and keep this one short:

I've been looking for a new back country gun for a while now, and so far, the 10mm GLOCK pistols are looking pretty good. I'm trying to narrow it down between the G20SF and the G29SF.

Could someone fill me in on how the two differ in terms of muzzle velocity and felt recoil? I've heard you can load lighter rounds for both guns to make them manageable, but I'm looking for info on the hotter loads.

Thanks,

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

If you enjoyed reading about "GLOCK 10mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fatcat4620
June 6, 2012, 08:15 PM
Buffalo bore has loads over 700fpe, and you can drop in a 40 barrel to practice with.

K1500
June 6, 2012, 08:16 PM
Should be about the same. I have a 20sf for GP carry and backcountry use and I love it. Recoil is a non-issue. You will love it.

JEB
June 6, 2012, 08:30 PM
i would go for the 20. full grip, higher capacity, and longer sight radius are all things i would want in a "back country" gun.

IdahoSkies
June 6, 2012, 08:46 PM
I looked at the same issues and went with a 29SF. The shorter grip fit my hand better and the 29SF accepts the 20s magazine so you do not have to sacrifice capacity. It was also noticeably lighter which matters to me when I hike. the 29SF was the perfect compromise for me between power, capacity, and weight.

I also shot an IDPA match with it and the recoil was very manageable. The Glock frame really "tames" the 10mm round.

plouffedaddy
June 6, 2012, 09:25 PM
G20 all the way. Hot 10mm rounds do much better in long barrels.

DesertFox
June 6, 2012, 09:34 PM
Which is why the 6" barrel in my G20 rules.

As far as "shootability", the G29 is surprising for such a full-house little package. Neither of mine are SF and I have never held an SF model to know what they feel like.

I have several sleeves that fit over G20 mags so that it gives the G29 a full sized grip. THAT is the ticket.

mgregg85
June 6, 2012, 09:37 PM
I've got the glock 29sf and it has become my new carry pistol. I originally bought it primarily to pop my 10mm cherry but I tend to shoot it faster and more accurately than my other carry pistols.

Cocked & Locked
June 6, 2012, 09:42 PM
I've just got the fat frame one...recoil is not an issue. I've got more brutal to-the-hand guns.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/16805181/259406841.jpg

jmr40
June 6, 2012, 09:49 PM
I have some Doubletap 200 gr hardcast that they used to advertise at 1300 fps. My G20 chronographs it at 1315, so it is pretty close to advertised. I see they are now advertising it @ 1275 from a G20, 1225 from a G29. I'm not sure 50 fps will matter, but the slightly longer sight radius of the G20 might make it easier to shoot more acurately.

I chose the G-20, but the 29 is a bit easier to carry and G20 magazines can be used if you want more ammo capacity. Either gun is smaller and lighter than most revolvers and offer better ballistic performance. A hot 357 will equal hot 10mm, but needs 6" of barrel to do it and 8" to better it. The G-20 is actually about the same length and weight as a 3" Ruger SP-101, the G29 is about equal to a 2" SP-101, but either will easily beat ballistics and accuracy from those short barreled 357's.

Even with the hottest loads a Glock 10mm is much easier to shoot than a 357 revolver. The wide backstrap, Glock grip angle and plastic soak up felt recoil dramatically. Standard 45 ACP from a 1911 has much more recoil.

hentown
June 7, 2012, 09:35 AM
I shoot both a G20 and G29; like 'em both. I'd feel comfortable with either, but the G29 sure is easier to carry. The difference in velocity would be irrelevant, in my opinion. I also don't have a problem shooting the shorter sight radius Glocks accurately. In my humble opinion, sight radius for semi-auto handguns is overblown. Also don't believe that enough velocity is gained by 6" barrel, in order to justify having a barrel sticking out of the slide. :)

CDW4ME
June 7, 2012, 09:58 AM
I have a 29 SF and use Pearce +0 magazine base plates with pinky extension.

The only ammo I've used is Hornady 155 XTP.
Out of my 29SF the Hornady averaged 1,278 fps / 562# KE
Recoil from that load is about like a Glock 30 shooting 230 gr. Ranger T (subjective)

G29 Hornady 155 gr. @ 1,278 fps = PF 198
G30 Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T @ 874 fps = PF 201

Power Factor (PF) is an objective way to compare recoil out of same size pistols. bullet weight x bullet speed / 1,000 = PF

That ^ full power 10mm load produces no more recoil than a 45, but a lot more KE (230 gr. @ 874 fps = 390# KE)

LeonCarr
June 7, 2012, 10:09 AM
20SF loaded with 180 Grain JHPs for two legged threats or thin skinned four legged threats, and 200 Grain Hardcast or FMJs for thick skinned four legged threats.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Loosedhorse
June 7, 2012, 10:19 AM
Oddly, to me the felt recoil through either the 29 or 20 (not SF) is about equal (the 29 wearing a grip extension). As to relative velocities, looking at Double Taps figures can help, as the usually list both G29 and longer-barrel velocities (as jmr40 mentions).

For example, they list for their 165gr BJHP load 1400fps form a 5-inch barrel (G20 is 4.6), and 1340fps from the 29.

(Yes, I know a lot of folks claim DT distorts their numbers, but if they distort both numbers, the difference should still be about the same. :D)

Personally, I like their 125gr TAC-XP load for SD/HD.

Mainsail
June 7, 2012, 11:31 AM
I have both the G20SF and the G29SF. I carry the 20 because the holster options for hiking are better. Once I find a holster maker who can make me a decent nylon flap holster for the G29, I'll switch over to that. Until then it's the G20SF. Buy both, you will sooner or later anyway. ;)

http://www.topohiker.com/FS/Packinsnow3.png

kayak-man
June 7, 2012, 12:02 PM
Mainsail: Deep down, I know I'm going to end up with both eventually. I guess I'm trying to decide which one to buy first, and if the 29 is even worth getting, or if it will be uncontrollable. Right now, I'm leaning towards getting the G29SF this season, since I'm not planning on going too far into the back country, but I may be doing hikes with groups and want to be able to conceal the gun, then getting the G20SF next season when I'll probably be a bit deeper in the back country.

I hear ya on the holsters! I've been trying to think of a way that I can carry it (preferably concealed) without the hip straps on the pack getting in the way, but so far, I'm coming up with nada.

Thanks for all the input so far guys, by all means, keep it coming!

swinokur
June 7, 2012, 04:26 PM
The G29 can be made bigger with a longer after market barrel and a 15 round G20 mag. The G20 can't be made smaller.

I have 15 round mags and a Storm Lake 4.48 inch barrel in my G29 for woods use. Basically a G20. For carry I switch back to a stock barrel and 10 round mags with Pearce +0 pinky extensions.

2 guns in one.

plouffedaddy
June 7, 2012, 04:55 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1031.jpg

I use the above franken-glock for instances like this. 6'' KKM barrel gets 1500fps out of Underwood 10mm 165gr Gold Dots. Giddy up.

hentown
June 7, 2012, 05:12 PM
So, that KKM conversion barrel extracts o.k., 100% of the time?

flyskater
June 7, 2012, 05:56 PM
I have 29 and 20SF with 6.61" barrel with LW compensator. Both easy to shoot with hot loads, but with the comp, it is like shooting a 9mm.

DesertFox
June 7, 2012, 09:50 PM
Mailsail said:
I have both the G20SF and the G29SF. I carry the 20 because the holster options for hiking are better. Once I find a holster maker who can make me a decent nylon flap holster for the G29, I'll switch over to that. Until then it's the G20SF. Buy both, you will sooner or later anyway.

That same holster will work just fine with your G29SF.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165860&stc=1&d=1339116576

plouffedaddy
June 7, 2012, 10:36 PM
So, that KKM conversion barrel extracts o.k., 100% of the time?

Here's what I wrote after trying out the set up for the 1st time:

"So I, like most of you at one point or another, was 10mm curious but not quite enough to shell out the money for a G20/Delta Elite/ect... So, I picked up a 10mm mag, LWD 20lb guide rod and spring, KKM 6'' conversion barrel, and a LWD 10mm extractor and went to work!

So far, I have 100 rounds of Prvi 180gr JHPs, 200 rounds of Blazer 200gr FMJs, and 50 rounds of Underwood Ammo 165gr Gold Dot JHPs through this combination with 0 failures of any kind and consistent ejection to the 3-5 o'clock position with all but the Prvi ammo. That ammo jumps all over the place weakly (with either recoil spring) like my Gen4 19 that has been back to Glock 2 times now because I don't think thats acceptable. But, with a conversion set up for hotter ammo, I'm not complaining.

I set up my chrono (but forgot a pretty important part; SMH...) to test the speed of these three rounds through this barrel and as expected the Underwood Ammo 165gr JHPs performed well. I'd love to see some of these rounds in ballistics gel because if the recoil impulse is any indication I'm betting they're nasty little rounds. While the recoil is certainly more with the Underwood than the other rounds, it's not enough to discourage you from shooting it; in fact just the opposite. It's good times!"

Write up with chronograph video results:
http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/g21-10mm-conversion-with-chronograph.html

I've put another 200 rounds through it since---0 issues.

griff383
June 7, 2012, 10:42 PM
I bought a 29sf and loved it, decided I wanted something that offered more in terms of velocity and since I already had a sp101 in 357 I would sell the 29sf for a 20sf. I happened to find a good local deal on a 20sf so I jumped, then I got a 357sig barrel for it and shoot it more than I ever thought. I changed the sights to white 3-dot to gain a little accuracy over the field goal sights that came on it. Some day I might get another 29 but for now Im happy.

psyshack
June 9, 2012, 07:15 PM
If your going to carry concealed at all. The 29 is the way to go. Not that the 20 cant be concealed. :)

I can nit pick my G20 ( Glock ) apart. But if you only own one Glock, a 10mm or .45 Glock are the only ones needed. I only own one Glock. And it's a G20! IMHO the G20 is the King of Glockdome.

The G17 may well be there flagship pistol. But the G20 shows what there platform can do. And do very well with the 10mm.

As for a woods pistol? It's all I need here in Okiehoma. Or 98% of the lower 48. One can buy great ammo or load up there own fantastic ammo. I have seen two mountain lions 10 miles out from the house and fresh tracks for a adult. The wife saw the the last sighting with me. Freaked her out a tad. I have also seen black bear track. Not to mention hogs. They are about to run a muck here.

I will be taking the G20 Deer Hunting this year. Looks like I will be using a rather hot 200gn XTP load. Early testing looks very good. :) I will be taking a Sharpie to the bling for hunting.

My G20. Ready for the woods or formal dress open carry. And anything I ask of it in between.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/g2011.jpg
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/g202.jpg

Anybody that shoots 10mm needs a Glock 10mm period! I don't care about what one thinks of Glock over all. Heck,,, there not my pistol of choice over all. I own two M&P's and a Sigma. But Glock has never wavered concerning 10mm. And in my book it's worth the $$$$$ to purchase and feed!

kayak-man
June 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
I was just about ready to head to the gun store today and pick up a 29, but I then started reading about Glocks track record with handloads. I've known for a while that you can't run lead through the stock barrel, but since I shoot FMJ, I assumed it was a non issue. I know they have a less-supported chamber than some firearms, and both 10mm and 40S&W are high pressure rounds.

IF:
-I the hot loads I shoot are factory ammo in the stock barrel, and
-My 10mm reloads through the stock barrel are loaded down a little and using FMJs, and
-Any 40S&W ammo is again, loaded down a little, and shot through one of the conversion barrels on the market;

I should be AOK, right?

swinokur
June 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
If you shoot factory ammo loaded to SAAMI specs, Glock barrels are just fine. More gun forum hype IMO.

I have a G20SF and a G29SF with stock barrels. No issues and I shoot DT,BB and Underwood.

kayak-man
June 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
Swinokur,

I figured factory ammo would be OK, but what reloads, if they are at a lower pressure and use a FMJ?

swinokur
June 11, 2012, 02:57 PM
The Glock manual says don't use reloaded ammo because of lead fouling in the polygonal barrel Glock uses. I have heard of guys using hard cast bullets with no problems but it's up to you. An after market barrel is under 200 bucks. That solves 2 problems

1. You can shoot lead
2. Good chamber support

kayak-man
June 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
The Glock manual says don't use reloaded ammo because of lead fouling in the polygonal barrel Glock uses

Hmm. I'm not planning on shooting lead anyways, so that probably won't be a problem. I suppose I could just shoot factory ammo until I can get a hold of a new barrel or a good 10mm loading setup...

rxspeed88
June 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
the 29sf is the way to go, i believe. I cc it and i love it. Plenty of ammo on hand and you dont have to worry about power. Get the 29 and a press and start loading. It wont be long until you are hooked.

Mainsail
June 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
I carry 200gr hard-casts in my 29 with the stock barrel. I practice with either FMJ or plated bullets, and will run a magazine of hard-casts through for function test. Ten rounds of hard-cast isn't going to foul the barrel.

jmr40
June 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
Every gun owners manual cautions against any reload, not just Glock. Unjacketed lead bullets can cause problems with Glocks because of the rifling they use. Lots of guys shoot lead factory and reloads just fine in Glocks. The secret to using lead in Glocks is a thorough cleaning pretty frequently. As long the lead is not allowed to build up in the barrel they CAN be shot through them, but I wouldn't

Personally I don't shoot unjacketed bullets through any of my guns except for Doubletap hardcast bullets designed for use with a Glock.

The Glock is designed for HOT loads. The only other 10mm semi that I'd run the hot stuff through is the discontinued S&W 1006 series of guns.

Cocked & Locked
June 11, 2012, 11:03 PM
I run lead through the Wolf.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/16805181/382505823.jpg

sargents1
June 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hmm. I'm not planning on shooting lead anyways, so that probably won't be a problem. I suppose I could just shoot factory ammo until I can get a hold of a new barrel or a good 10mm loading setup...

Reloads are fine thru a G20 provided you inspect your brass, keep track of how many times it has been reloaded and keep your loads within reason. I dont know how many times is safe to reload a 10mm cartridge but I figure I will chuck my brass after 5 reloads and call it good. No sense in pushing my luck.

I use Only New brass for Max Loads and I keep those pieces of brass seperate from the stuff I use for practice reloads.

BTW, the Glock chamber is looser than the Lone Wolf chambers. This will decrease the life of your brass if you run the Glock barrel. Also, brass fired thru a Glock barrel may not feed correctly thru a LW barrel once reloaded. (then again it Might, YMMV)

Glock Chamber.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g359/Sargents77/G20SF/DSC02166.jpg

LW Chamber
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g359/Sargents77/G20SF/DSC02165.jpg

hentown
June 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
You can shoot jacketed reloads @ the same velocities as factory ammo, with the same results. There is no problem with shooting reloads through Glocks. Having fired over 300,000 of my reloads through my Glocks, I feel qualified to offer such an opinion.

Glock's caveats about reloads is no different from any other manufacturer's caveats about shooting reloads.

kayak-man
June 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
I Just got back from Whole Sale Sports! I had a really hard time finding a good holster, but when I walked up to the gun counter and asked about the G29, I was informed that they were out of stock :banghead:

Mainsail
June 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
http://www.topohiker.com/2Gs.png

Stevie-Ray
June 14, 2012, 02:19 AM
I have the smaller 29 and it's my woods gun. I use Double-Tap's 200 gr XTP in mine. Easy to control, pretty good ballistics, superbly accurate in my gun.

kayak-man
June 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
Finally got it! Picked up a model 29SF with night sights, put about 200 rounds through it today at the range.

Even with the SF, its still a pretty big gun, but I like it.

I wasn't shooting too well at the longer distances, but I think it was mostly operator error.

Thanks for all the input guys!

psyshack
June 14, 2012, 09:26 PM
Congrats on the 29! Welcome to the 10mm club. :)

hentown
June 15, 2012, 08:50 AM
I won't own a Glock without changing the connector to an aftermarket connector. I just can't stand the factory Glock connectors' trigger pulls.

kfox
June 15, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have a stock barreled G20sf. I load 155gr XTP's at 1350-1400 using Power pistol and have seen no pressure signs or bulged brass. I also have a G22 that I run almost exclusivley 180gr MO Bullets IDP#5 in the stock barrel. I purchased a LW barrel for it and discovered that I got more leading and less chamber support at the feed ramp. So I went back to the stock barrel. I have gotten almost no leading at 975fps and good accuracy. Just watch your brass and work up your loads (do not start at the top end) and have fun. The 10mm is a great cartridge, and the Glock is a good gun. +1 on the connectors, however I do like the new dot connectors the Gen 4's come with.

psyshack
June 16, 2012, 01:18 AM
My OEM/Stock G20 barrel has never had a round fired through it. It's sloppy and web support sucks. To put it plainly.

My LW 5.15" barrel has a real chamber, support and a very clean standard bore.

OEM Chamber - .433"
LW Chamber - .424"

Right at 1/3 of the case web is near unsupported IMHO in the OEM barrel. Feed Ramp intrusion and lower chamber champer/relief. Coupled with a sloppy chamber add up to near useless brass for me.

The LW chamber has never failed to chamber a round for me if I do my brass prep right. Be it shot brass or new brass. New brass does have to be cleaned up, be it Starline or Winchester.

I like my G20! And shoot nothing but Nuke loads out of it. But once again,,, My OEM barrel has never been shot. And won't be. And if you can't go Nuke with a 10mm at will.

Whats the point of having one. :)

hentown
June 16, 2012, 08:29 AM
y OEM/Stock G20 barrel has never had a round fired through it. It's sloppy and web support sucks. To put it plainly.

My LW 5.15" barrel has a real chamber, support and a very clean standard bore.

OEM Chamber - .433"
LW Chamber - .424"

Right at 1/3 of the case web is near unsupported IMHO in the OEM barrel. Feed Ramp intrusion and lower chamber champer/relief. Coupled with a sloppy chamber add up to near useless brass for me.

The LW chamber has never failed to chamber a round for me if I do my brass prep right. Be it shot brass or new brass. New brass does have to be cleaned up, be it Starline or Winchester.

I like my G20! And shoot nothing but Nuke loads out of it. But once again,,, My OEM barrel has never been shot. And won't be. And if you can't go Nuke with a 10mm at will.

Whats the point of having one.

I'm just curious as to how you know that the o.e.m. barrel produces "near useless brass?" I shoot non-nuclear loads in my G20 all the time...my reloads. I don't have any motivation for shooting nuclear loads through my G20. What's your motivation for shooting nuclear loads? Do you hunt with your G20??

FWIW, I also own a LWD barrel. I started using it, just because I get more reloads out of my brass.

atomd
June 16, 2012, 09:13 AM

I think newer barrels have more chamber support than the old ones... not sure on the 10mm ones but the .40 barrels are like that. When comparing a newer .40 Glock barrel to other .40 barrels (like the M&P) the support is pretty much the same as far as I can tell.

psyshack
June 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
Hentown:

I think you answered part of your question about getting more reloads out of your brass with the LW Barrel. :) I flat out do not like the sloppy nature of a Glock chamber. Nor do I like the brass having to expand that much to make the gas seal. And then having to size it back down and introducing that much work harding to the brass.

I will hunt with my G20 this year and look forward to taking a whitetail or two with my G20. :) As for shooting nothing but max published and above ammo. It's a freaking hoot! I got on the 10mm bandwagon years ago with the 1911 style pistols. The 10mm round had much more to offer than the 1911's that fired it at the time. So why not go where most 1911 style pistols don't want to go. The G20 offers one that chance with a aftermarket barrel. :) And properly loaded 10mm ammo lands squarely between .357 and .41 mag with 15 + 1 in a reliable platform. Some will say that a .357 has better sectional density. Thus it's a better bullet/killer/round. Nuts to them I say. No way a 5" .357 is going to drive a 158gn XTP as fast as a 155gn XTP can be driven, with a bigger hole to boot. :) But one would be insane to think they can get .41 mag performance out of a 10mm. :(

10mm is the cartridge to have for massive firepower in a semi auto pistol. And a joy to shoot and reload for. :)

psyshack
June 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
atomd:

The worse chambers I've ever seen were in 2nd Gen G20's. IMHO many of them should have never left the factory. They can be relived so much on either side of the feed ramp they take on the look of cloverleaf pedal's. And are refereed to by some as the cloverleaf chambers. They are nasty as hell.

While Glock has cleaned up there chambers and support a tad over the years. They are still looser than most others out there. That's why my 9mm and .45 acp are M&P's. And if Smith ever brought out a M&P 10mm, I would own one. :)

searcher6
June 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
griff383
bought a 29sf and loved it, decided I wanted something that offered more in terms of velocity and since I already had a sp101 in 357 I would sell the 29sf for a 20sf. I happened to find a good local deal on a 20sf so I jumped, then I got a 357sig barrel for it and shoot it more than I ever thought. I changed the sights to white 3-dot to gain a little accuracy over the field goal sights that came on it. Some day I might get another 29 but for now Im happy.

Which .357 SIG barrel did you get? Is that all you have to get to shoot .357 SIG from the Glock 20?

atomd
June 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
While Glock has cleaned up there chambers and support a tad over the years. They are still looser than most others out there. That's why my 9mm and .45 acp are M&P's.

I agree with the oversized chambers. The newer ones don't seem to leave the bulge/smiley like the old ones did. I think I'd be ok with 10mm brass in that case. The aftermarket ones seem to be tighter overall...but some of them are a bit on the tight side which means you gotta either make your reloads work with them or have them opened up a bit...which just puts you back to where you were to begin with. I do think as long as it wasn't leaving bulges like the old glock barrels did I'd be happy.

SKILCZ
June 20, 2012, 12:55 AM
For a back country gun, I agree w/ those who said 20. For CCW, 29. The SF only makes much difference in the 20 b/c the part shaved off the grip is toward the bottom of the back of the grip (which is cut short on a 29 relative to a 20, anyway). I believe the 20SF makes it like a 17 grip for accessories. 29SF doesn't have as many accessories available as the 29 and isn't much smaller in grip. I would say go 20SF or 29.

oldrevolverguy
June 20, 2012, 06:14 PM
I bought both the 20 and the 29. For me the 29 does everything the 20 can in a much more compact package. Whether I am hiking/hunting or carrying concealed size is important to me. There is less than one inch difference in the barrels between the two. Same for the sight radius. The key difference for me came down to the size of the grip frame. I sold the 20 and use the 29 as one of the most versatile outdoor/CHL firearms in the market. It conceals just like the Glock 19 but packs the punch of a big bore. My 2cents worth.

psyopspec
June 20, 2012, 06:54 PM
Chris, can you tell me more about how it's shooting for you? In one of your earlier posts you mentioned concern for the recoil of larger caliber in a small gun. How's the recoil on your new 29 SF? How does it compare with other guns you shoot regularly? It's a purchase I've been considering, and while I love my Glocks, 10mm recoil in a subcompact size is one of the things that's been holding me back.

I appreciate the comparison to the recoil of a G22 earlier in the thread, just wanted to hear other thoughts on it. And not just from the OP, if anyone else can chime in with their experiences.

kayak-man
June 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Chris, can you tell me more about how it's shooting for you? In one of your earlier posts you mentioned concern for the recoil of larger caliber in a small gun. How's the recoil on your new 29 SF? How does it compare with other guns you shoot regularly? It's a purchase I've been considering, and while I love my Glocks, 10mm recoil in a subcompact size is one of the things that's been holding me back.

No problem!

So far I've only shot two loads through it: 180 grain plinking ammo that was probably loaded down to .40, and a box of the Hornady TAP.

It felt like the same amount of muzzle flip as a J-Frame .38+P, but easier to manage.

It was MUCH less recoil than Gold Dot defense loads through an LCP. The grip is pretty wide, so it does a nice job of dispersing the recoil. I had a friend of mine put some rounds through it, and he described it as close to the midsize Glock .40, but a little more "bitey." For me, the most noticeable issue is the way the trigger guard rubs against your middle finger.

It was not painful to shoot like I had been told. Sort of like when you're playing with a puppy and it "bites" your arm.

After I have the chance to shoot it with some hotter, maybe even nuclear, loads, I'll give you an update.

Now if I could just shoot it as well as my SR9....

RinkRat
June 21, 2012, 01:04 AM
Round capacity <they both use the same mags> and concealed ability aside.

So if your looking at the G29 vs the G20 for woods carry how much of a real difference is the shorter barrel going to make in fps/ftlbs? Is it enough to be on the safer side and get the longer G20?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is ... I know placement is King but say you have to use it for critter control and that first round isn't as critical of a wound as you'd like but it does hit your target. Would that little bit longer barrel of the G20 aid in delivering a more traumatic and deeper cavity wound possibly braking a bone or two more then the shorter G29 giving you a "passable enough" of an edge to get off your next barrage of followups to do more damage?

psyopspec
June 21, 2012, 01:15 AM
That's especially helpful for people who aren't able to shoot before buying, and a little vicarious fun too. Thanks again!

oldrevolverguy
July 21, 2012, 10:23 PM
I bought both the 20 and 29 with the intention of taking a single handgun to my deer lease that would handle CHL duties and outdoor security. The longer barrel of the 20 is less than one inch longer than the 20. Average velocities are within 75 fps of each other. The most important dimension for belt carry comfort and concealability is the length of the grip. The 29 is exponentially more concealable than the 20. When concealability is less important I often carry the 29 with the longer 15 round magazine in place. Loaded with Double Tap 180 grain Speer Gold Dot JHP chronographed at 1175 fps I feel well prepared to deal with anything I may be called upon to handle.

mokin
July 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
This is getting to be an old thread but while we're at it, I chronographed Winchester Silvertips at 1127 fps (average) from my Glock 29. Not quite powerfull enough to hunt with in Colorado, but close. For the price, I believe Silvertips are one of the better deals out there for factory 10mm Auto ammunition.

Oceanbob
July 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
The G29 can be made bigger with a longer after market barrel and a 15 round G20 mag. The G20 can't be made smaller.

I have 15 round mags and a Storm Lake 4.48 inch barrel in my G29 for woods use. Basically a G20. For carry I switch back to a stock barrel and 10 round mags with Pearce +0 pinky extensions.

2 guns in one.
I agree. While I have a couple of Glock 20s (short frame, longslide, normal) and 2 Glock 29s, for backwoods or East Los Angeles my choice is the GLOCK 29. It can be pimped with 15 round mags and a longer barrel. Real easy to carry and has incredible amount of firepower with the Buffalo Bore 180 grains I carry.

http://i52.tinypic.com/347vb84.jpg

I have an unported Stormlake extended barrel and a lonewolf ported extended barrel. Here is the lonewolf.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2r7aw5d.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "GLOCK 10mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!