what 22lr

PDA

roachcore
June 6, 2012, 07:50 PM
I've been looking at adding a 22 to my collection,and I dont know where start. I dont kneed anything fancy I just need it to be reliable with decent accuracy. My budget is around $300 maybe a little more if I have to. What do you guys suggest?

If you enjoyed reading about "what 22lr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SleazyRider
June 6, 2012, 08:13 PM
If I had to begin my .22 collection all over again, I'd begin with the Browning Buckmark Camper.

toivo
June 6, 2012, 08:41 PM
Browning Buck Mark or Ruger Mark III (or II) are the standards. If you're in the mood for something less target-oriented, I'm fond of these little guys:

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-thunder-22-nkl

Tcruse
June 6, 2012, 08:43 PM
Ruger Mark III 22-45 Target
Eats everything and is accurate and trouble free

foghornl
June 6, 2012, 08:57 PM
Ruger MKII or MKIII or Browning Buckmark.

taraquian
June 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
I like the walther p22 and ruger sr22... not as accurate as the mkII or browning but a ton of fun.

roachcore
June 6, 2012, 10:37 PM
I had looked at the walther and the sr22 but i figure if i cant have a loud report and heavy recoil I want accuracy.

DeadFlies
June 6, 2012, 10:44 PM
I'd start with the "search" option first. There must be a dozen different threads on this very subject in the last thirty days alone.

That being said, I really like my Neos. It's built like a bank vault and probably a bit cheaper than most Brownings and Rugers.

fluffi
June 6, 2012, 10:44 PM
You didn't specify if you wanted a revolver or autoloader.The Ruger mk series and Browning Buckmarks are as good as it gets in there class. The Smith 22a autoloaders are good shooters for the money.Any old Highstandard is probably a keeper.Ruger single six's usually can be had used at a good price.Not to many newer .22's i would run from.I do however fail to see the attraction of a .22 autoloader that has to be fed high end ammo to run right. The biggest advantage of a .22 is cheap ammo.mtcw.Fluffi.

kolob10
June 6, 2012, 10:45 PM
Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark.

Deltaboy
June 6, 2012, 10:53 PM
Ruger or Buck.

CDR_Glock
June 6, 2012, 11:09 PM
I have a few 22s in different flavors:

Advantage arms 22 LR conversion on a dedicated Glock 23 lower (I was tired of switching).

SigArms 22 LR conversion on a Sig P220.

Walther P22.

Ruger Mark II Target mode, 6 7/8" barrel.

Sig 522 Rifle.

I personally use the 22 conversions for combat shooting: Draw from concealment, shooting multiple targets, etc. then I use the same gun model with full house loads for defense.

The Mark II is solely for Target shooting. Longer distances (>50 yards).

The Sig 522 is just a fun gun.

The Walther is the gun I indoctrinate new users to shoot. It's a pain to reassemble for me after field stripping.

777TRUTH
June 7, 2012, 04:56 AM
I went with the Ruger because the Buckmark is so hard to find at this time.

Pilot
June 7, 2012, 06:04 AM
You didn't specify if you wanted a revolver or autoloader.

He asked the question in the "Autoloader" forum.

I have four Ruger MK II's. I won't buy a III due to the uneccessary changes Ruger made. They may not bother you, and can even be addressed with a few parts, and a little installation work.

If you go with a Ruger, you have to decide on steel frame, Luger like grip angle of the MK II/III or polymer framed, 1911 style grip of the 22.45. Both are good shooters, and one of my MK II era Rugers is a 22/45, and I like it a lot. The lighter weight is easier to carry if that is something to consider.

viking499
June 7, 2012, 08:32 AM
Buckmark.

StrutStopper
June 7, 2012, 08:34 AM
Love my MK III 22/45. I shot it stock for a bit over 1000 rounds then started tinkering. Love it even more now. Reasonably priced, accurate, eats everything. I have received several bulk boxes of ammo from friends at the range that are frustrated that their gun just doesn't cycle the stuff. No problem with the Ruger though. What more can you say?

nachogrande
June 7, 2012, 08:52 AM
I've owned mostly rugers over the years and they were all accurate. mk 1 taget, mk 2 gov't bull bbl both excellent but can be a pia to take apart & put back together plus you gotta pick up brass. single six works good and can get a spare cylinder for 22 mag. but my fav was the big/heavy 6" S&W 10 shot revolver mdl 17?

bikerdoc
June 7, 2012, 08:59 AM
I'm fond of these little guys:

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-thunder-22-nkl

Me also in addition to ruger 22/45 and a Single six.

MachIVshooter
June 7, 2012, 10:15 AM
If I were to buy a .22 Autoloader today, it'd be a S&W 22A.

https://www.gunbuyingclub.com/images/images/SW107410FC_1.jpg

marb4
June 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
Tough to go wrong with a Browning Buckmark. Affordable, accurate, reliable, and lots of aftermarket goodies to turn your $300 gun into a $600 gun. If you're looking for something more "combat style" the Ruger SR22 pistol is a great choice. Reliable, plenty accurate, and just a ton of fun to shoot.

gpwelding1
June 7, 2012, 11:22 AM
all of the above are excelent suggestions.just what ever you do,dont go with the taurus pt-22.my wifes is notorious for failing to feed,and i dont like the lever that makes the barrel pop up for loading.i have hit it with my thumb several times while fireing.
very picky on ammo.

MCgunner
June 7, 2012, 11:31 AM
The standard answer is Buckmark or Ruger Mk2/3. I added this for about 325 from a gun show a while back. It meets your criteria, feeds anything, decently accurate, though my Mk 2 will outshoot it. It's a Ruger SR22, just introduced some months back. It's a keeper, light, pocket sized, yet 2" at 25 yards accurate with federal bulk pack and I shot 1.5" with it the other day when I tried RWS target in it. My Mk 2 has a scope on it and will shoot federal bulk pack into 1" at 50 yards, sort of in another class for accuracy.

http://i44.tinypic.com/xt07o.jpg

boylit
June 7, 2012, 12:27 PM
i'm in the same boat looking for a .22LR... my choices are limited to what's available locally:

Beretta U22 Neos 6"
Bersa Thunder 22
Tanfoglio Force 22
S&W 22A
Walther P22
Walther SP22

I've test fired the Bersa and Tanfoglio... The Tanfoglio was terrible... A lot of FTEs and FTFs ... the Bersa fared slightly better...

The problem now is the others don't have T&E units for test firing so I'll have to rely on advice...

tuj
June 7, 2012, 09:56 PM
Ruger MKIII.

http://renkucorp.com/jf/pics/guns/ruger/IMG_20120601_182722sm.jpg

Kiln
June 8, 2012, 06:29 AM
I have several .22 autos.

1. Ruger MK3: By far the best choice out of the selection you'll have today. The only other gun that rivals it is the Buckmark. Both are great guns. Don't let the loaded chamber indicator or the mag disconnect worry you, there are thousands of these guns out there and very few reported issues. Mine is the only .22lr automatic that has honestly never had a jam in many, many thousands of rounds.

2. Walther P22: It is a decent gun but if I had it to do over I'd have spent my money elsewhere. It has a zamak slide and is very ammo sensitive. I don't have a problem with zamak construction when the price reflects this, in the P22's case it doesn't. I will admit though that it is an extremely comfortable little gun though and most people love the feel of it.

3. Phoenix HP22: Alright gun for the casual shooter, will digest a wide assortment of ammo without a problem. Limited lifespan of 3-4k rounds due to its compact size and zamak construction. These things make it a poor choice for frequent shooters but a decent choice for those who must carry small caliber pistols for health reasons.

apachejack
June 8, 2012, 12:56 PM
If you have a 1911 of some sort, I would recommend you buy a conversion and shoot it. But of course I am partial to 1911 model guns. I have a Colt Ace and a Kimber rimfire and they are the most accurate .22s I have shot. I just bought the Browning 1911/22 yesterday and haven't fired it yet but will today. You can get a good conversion for the price you are wanting to pay and you can practice with your 1911 very cheap. This opinion and a dollar can get you a cup of coffee at Denny's and that is about all it is worth.

wally
June 8, 2012, 01:12 PM
My wife and I shoot a lot of .22lr 2000-3000 rounds per month typically.

My favorites:

S&W M22A - I've the 7.5" fluted bull barrel model with fiber optic front sight
Neos -- with red dot
Buckmark -- added fiber optic front sight from Dawson Precision
Ruger 22/45 5" bull barrel red dot optic
Ruger MKII -- Slabside "hunter" with fiber optic front sight
Ruger 22/45 MKIII -- 7" bull barrel, fiber optic front sight

My wifes favorites:
Buckmark,
M22A
Ruger 22/45 MKIII
Ruger MKII
Ruger 22/45 she has a hard time fining the red dot.
Neos -- she can't reach the mag release and has a hard time inserting mags.

The Walter P22 is pretty much only shot with the suppressor or when we practice point shooting, its a decent analog for a carry pistol size wise.
I think the Ruger SR22 would be much better for this role if I were buying now, although I've not seen any threaded barrel options for it yet, the P22 just needs a $30 adapter.

Chiappa 1911-22 total POS, wasted my time and money sending it back for "repair" came back if anything, worse :(

MCgunner
June 8, 2012, 04:10 PM
I think the Ruger SR22 would be much better for this role if I were buying now, although I've not seen any threaded barrel options for it yet, the P22 just needs a $30 adapter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6drCYGT5Bdo

AdamSean
June 8, 2012, 04:15 PM
I just bought me one too. I was looking at the Browning Buckmark Camper, but didn't like the way the safety jabbed right in my thumb. So I ended up with a Ruger 22/45 Mark III with the threaded barrel.

j1
June 8, 2012, 04:21 PM
Mossberg 144 LS 22 target rifle.

1KPerDay
June 8, 2012, 05:35 PM
Ruger MKIII 22/45. Get a sam lam hammer bushing and remove the magazine disconnect safety, get an ultimate cliploader, and enjoy.

Here's mine with some VQ upgrades, grip panel mod, Hi Viz sight, etc. I absolutely LOVE this pistol.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/Ruger%2022%2045%20Grip%20Panel%20Mod/82ab7dc8.jpg

MedWheeler
June 8, 2012, 09:03 PM
A lot of good suggestions so far... my first .22LR pistol was my second handgun, and it was (still is) a Ruger Mk-II. Was a definite good choice. The Ruger SR22 looks like a winner, too, so count me among those hollering "Ruger"...

B!ngo
June 9, 2012, 01:03 AM
Either one of the following:
Classic: S&W Model 41
Nouveau: Benelli MP95E Atlanta (but you have to find the 9 round mags).
Both pricey, about $1,000. But excellent for plinking or competition.
My wife and I each have the Benelli and it's a remarkable machine.
B
Edit: Oops, didn't see the budget cap the first time. Never mind.

Chevelle SS
June 9, 2012, 01:14 PM
a cheap 1911 22

If you enjoyed reading about "what 22lr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!