What's going on at Georgia Arms?

PDA

Texan Scott
June 6, 2012, 09:09 PM
I emailed Georgia Arms recently, because although their ammo comes well recommended to me, A) i wondered about their velocity figures/ test barrels, and B) a lot of it - A WHOLE LOT - says 'unavailable due to component shortage'. The reply to my email was prompt and courteous (the .38s in question are test-fired and measured from a 4" S&W 19, apparently) but no information was forthcoming on wait times for new runs of ammo in common calibers. Does anyone have any actual knowledge of what's behind this? I'd hate to think anything was wrong at a fine American ammo company...

If you enjoyed reading about "What's going on at Georgia Arms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sgtstryker
June 6, 2012, 09:39 PM
That's just the way it is with them, now. It's hit or miss. I can catch them at gun shows here and get a few bags. You have to religiously hit their website to get the bulk stuff. I think there is more competition for the Govt. brass, Black Hills comes to mind. However, I've fired alot of their ammo over the years and it performs well.

jmr40
June 6, 2012, 10:43 PM
They are a SMALL company. Their factory is just a small simple metal building. There are many who live in larger homes. They are having a hard time keeping up with demand in large quantaties. I live in NW GA about 45 min. from the factory and have bought straight from there on occasion when I happened to be close by.

They are at all regional gunshows and I usually just pick up a little at a time then. Even though they show many items out of stock, they are rarely completely out at the shows, at least on Saturday. I've seen them run out of some items on Sunday's.

Just guessing, but with ammo selling the way it is they are probably running at full capacity just to keep up with gunshows every weekend here in Georgia, South TN and East AL.

They make good stuff, at fair pices. If you can get it. I'm fortunate to live close enough.

beatledog7
June 6, 2012, 11:21 PM
I used to buy a lot of GA at shows, and it's good ammo. Now I reload, often into brass that I acquired as GA ammo.

hardluk1
June 7, 2012, 07:50 AM
GA does produce good ammo but as covered they are allways working at max cap. They have a hard time try'n to keep components in stock and thats were the problems come from. They also don't change up supplies. What components they used 10 years ago they still use today. On there new handgun ammo they use mainly speer bullets and it seems there allways needing bullets. I have used there product for 22 years . They have supplied my carry ammo for 15 years and canned heat on and off, depends on whats on sale where. If you can make a gun show where they go to you can almost always stock up on ammo includeing 500 and 1000 round box's. They do try to keep the gun show venders well stocked. That is how they started out. But by mail?? Be ready to wait when so many people are stocking up. They were the 4 largest supplier of .223 ammo last year in the usa.

JohnBT
June 7, 2012, 08:13 AM
"I can catch them at gun shows here and get a few bags. You have to
religiously hit their website to get the bulk stuff."

I've always been able to buy full ammo cans from them at the Richmond shows if I get there early enough. I'm talking 9mm, .45 ACP and .223. Other calibers I buy by the bag.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's going on at Georgia Arms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!