USPS Priority- Why do businesses not use ?

PDA

blarby
June 7, 2012, 04:27 PM
So, here I am on shipping day seven, waiting on 300 bullets I just realized were shipped via UPS.

Also, after reviewing the invoice the shipping on this order was almost $20 including handling insurance.

Why is it that so many businesses refuse to use USPS priority mail flat-rate services ?

In the example of this order, it would have easily fit into a medium rate box. $11.35. Less than 100 dollars total cost : Insurance, $1.

So we're at $12.35, and most importantly.......I would have my order by now.

I frequently ship coast to coast using USPS priority mail. I have yet to have a package take more than four days........ and that was one package ! It was 4 days ! Every other package has been delivered in 3 days or less.

Am I missing something ?

Does UPS and FEDEX give the shipper a cut, or let them add on whatever shipping costs above the actual cost, and just cut them a check or something ?

I do not understand........

If you enjoyed reading about "USPS Priority- Why do businesses not use ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zxcvbob
June 7, 2012, 04:35 PM
It's simpler for them to just deal with one carrier and have a daily pickup. They don't really care what it costs because that is passed on to you; they do care about their labor costs. Also UPS and Fedex's tracking is better.

kcshooter
June 7, 2012, 04:35 PM
I order lead bullets from Missouri Bullet Company, they use USPS flat rate boxes and will ship 2000 bullets for $13.

oneounceload
June 7, 2012, 04:43 PM
You cannot track a USPS order like you can UPS or Fedex - and your shipment seems to be an anomaly -I get all three and USPS is always the slowest

Cosmoline
June 7, 2012, 04:45 PM
USPS priority is always the best to and from AK. UPS is a nightmare and FedEx is $$$. So I guess it depends in part on where you are.

rule303
June 7, 2012, 04:49 PM
As a business owner, USPS is not worth the price savings. Their tracking system is useless, and trying to get paid for a damage/lost package claim is futile.

kcshooter
June 7, 2012, 04:50 PM
You cannot track a USPS order like you can UPS or FedEx Sure you can. Even the first class packages I send regularly with tracking tell you every step of the way and even give an estimate of delivery date.
and your shipment seems to be an anomaly -I get all three and USPS is always the slowest I've not seen that to be the case for me, either. FEDEX seems to be a day behind USPS consistently.

Their tracking system is uselessReally? Mailed a package yesterday evening, it already has 5 updates of it's progress and it hasn't even left the metro area yet.

wally
June 7, 2012, 04:52 PM
Another issue is many of the postal carriers claim the boxes are "too heavy" and refuse to take them off the truck. This creates a major hassle in some ZIP codes. I've had orders delayed by this :(

Seems to have gotten a bit better lately with the talk of Post Office closures and "downsizing" the work force.

My old carrier was great, she'd let me know they arrived and would bring them by the next Saturday morning, pull up in my driveway so I could unload them -- they are a load for a woman the size of my wife. Unfortunately she retired and her replacement didn't with to deal with it, saying I had to drive down and pick them up at the PO. I got on her supervisor and straightened things out, then I explained how her predecessor handled it and suggested she do the same.

NavyLCDR
June 7, 2012, 04:53 PM
You cannot track a USPS order like you can UPS or Fedex - and your shipment seems to be an anomaly -I get all three and USPS is always the slowest
Not an anomaly. I sent a package from Kuwait to my home in Washington State via USPS priority mail. I placed an internet order for an item from Tennessee shipped to Washington State that shipped on the same day via UPS. My package from Kuwait via Priority Mail arrived 4 days before the UPS package did from Tennessee. The UPS package sat in a town 50 miles away at the UPS terminal for 10 days due to "weather". US Post Office didn't have any problems with the weather.

I'll take US Postal Service any day of the week.

brickeyee
June 7, 2012, 04:58 PM
USPS only added the same tracking UPS and FedEx have had for a long time.

kcshooter
June 7, 2012, 05:03 PM
USPS only added the same tracking UPS and FedEx have had for a long time.So, then, they have it, and it works.
Issue?

I can't send a 2oz package with tracking info and have it delivered in 3 days for $1.64 with anyone but USPS.
I also can't send 65lbs of lead for $13 in under 4 days using anyone but USPS.

dogtown tom
June 7, 2012, 05:16 PM
blarby....I do not understand........
You should be asking the seller this question BEFORE finalizing the sale.

kcshooter Quote:
You cannot track a USPS order like you can UPS or FedEx

Sure you can. Even the first class packages I send regularly with tracking tell you every step of the way and even give an estimate of delivery date.
The only USPS service that has "tracking" equivalent to UPS/FedEx is Express Mail. What you think you are seeing as "tracking" on First Class or Priority Mail is not. I ship several handguns every week via Priority Mail and can confirm that the "tracking" you see at usps.com is not anywhere as accurate as the tracking system used by UPS and FedEx.

UPS and fedEx know where a package is at all times........USPS has no idea.:cuss:

kcshooter
June 7, 2012, 05:18 PM
UPS and fedEx know where a package is at all times........USPS has no idea
That's just not true. Look at this tracking list from a package I sent earlier this week.
And note that this is a 2oz package that cost me $1.64 to ship.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9101150134711399796748

Delivered

Jun-07-12, 12:19 PM, LEBANON, TN 37087

Out for Delivery

Jun-07-12, 08:46 AM, LEBANON, TN 37087

Sorting Complete

Jun-07-12, 08:36 AM, LEBANON, TN 37087

Arrival at Post Office

Jun-07-12, 06:07 AM, LEBANON, TN 37087

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

Jun-06-12, 19:21 PM, NASHVILLE, TN 37230

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

Jun-06-12, 19:20 PM, NASHVILLE, TN 37214

Depart USPS Sort Facility

Jun-06-12, 00:00 AM, KANSAS CITY, MO 64121

Depart USPS Sort Facility

Jun-06-12, 00:00 AM, NASHVILLE, TN 37230

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

Jun-05-12, 23:06 PM, KANSAS CITY, MO 64121

Dispatched to Sort Facility

Jun-05-12, 16:36 PM, BUCKNER, MO 64016

Acceptance

Jun-05-12, 14:31 PM, BUCKNER, MO 64016

dogtown tom
June 7, 2012, 05:29 PM
kcshooter Quote:
UPS and fedEx know where a package is at all times........USPS has no idea
That's just not true. Look at this tracking list from a package I sent earlier this week.
And note that this is a 2oz package that cost me $1.64 to ship.
Gee..thats one package.....and thats not a minute by minute tracking system. USPS does not update status as often as UPS/FedEx.

I wish I could show you the USPS "tracking" that shows packages as "processing" when its sitting in my living room.

Ask any USPS employee if they offer the same quality "tracking" as UPS/FedEx.....they'll enjoy the laugh.:D

kcshooter
June 7, 2012, 05:46 PM
Gee..thats one package.....Yeah, and it looks just like the 3 identical ones I've sent in the last week. and thats not a minute by minute tracking system. USPS does not update status as often as UPS/FedExUnless FedEx and UPS started installing GPS devices, or scanning the packages every few minutes, theirs isn't minute by minute either. They update any time the package comes on or off a truck or arrives, is sorted thru, or leaves a facility. Does UPS do something different? Is that not enough for you?

Cosmoline
June 7, 2012, 05:51 PM
Yes UPS tracking is more precise. It's allowed me to watch rifles I bought do a detailed 20 state tour before finally getting on a jet from some inexplicable location.

armoredman
June 7, 2012, 05:52 PM
Be forewarned! Both FedEx and UPS now utilize the mail system in their "cut rate" delivery system. UPS calls it UPS Mail Innovations, which is how my order from Optics Planet got so incredibly hashed after they failed to follow clear shipping instructions.
UPS Mail Innovations will take your item to the nearest LARGE post office, (Mine was over 60 miles away, apparently), and then the USPS system delivers it from there. So you might PAY for UPS, but still end up using the Post Office anyways. It's kinda like the worst of both worlds.

jlmdlm
June 7, 2012, 05:54 PM
As a business owner, I use USPS every time I can. I have much better results with them.

mgkdrgn
June 7, 2012, 06:06 PM
So, here I am on shipping day seven, waiting on 300 bullets I just realized were shipped via UPS.

Also, after reviewing the invoice the shipping on this order was almost $20 including handling insurance.

Why is it that so many businesses refuse to use USPS priority mail flat-rate services ?

Ahhhh, because it's a FELONY to ship ammo via the US Mail would be my first guess, unless these are just Bullets, and not loaded ammo.

Most medium/large business have rates with either FedEx or UPS that nearly matches, or beats, priority mail. Add to that the far superior tracking ... and it's a no brainer.

That said ... -I- ship USPS priority mail all the time .. mainly handguns. They end up being MUCH cheaper than shipping UPS/FedEx.

Inebriated
June 7, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have 19 items from Midway being shipped USPS right now. Ordered Tuesday night at about 2 AM, Shipped Wednesday evening, and I have an estimated delivery date of tomorrow.

UPS is rarely as quick for me.

mr.scott
June 7, 2012, 06:26 PM
I've had pretty good luck with the post office shipping. I think the reason people don't use it more is not because shipping is slow, it's usually just as fast as the others, it's because if you have to deal with an actual person at the usps you'll understand why it's a federal offense to carry a gun in the post office. It's to keep us from shooting the completely incompetent customer facing employees.

Wildbillz
June 7, 2012, 06:27 PM
Yes FedEx give a discount to account holders. When I signed up it was about 10%. No extra charge for Tracking or the mimamal insurance that is included. FedEx ground service most anywhere in the lower 48 3days or less. Rates are lower also and you don't have to worry about fitting it in a flat rate box. Not saying that the Flat rate is a bad thing may just not allways be the best option.

Oh ya I think that FedEx carrys all the Priority mail for USPS. But thats just the drift I got from the clerk at the Post Office.

WB

medalguy
June 7, 2012, 07:48 PM
I had a package shipped Fedex ground last week, final delivery was by USPS. Unfortunately the package was turned over to USPS on Thursday in Albuquerque, about 30 miles from me. It was delivered by USPS the following Wednesday. Six days for 30 miles :banghead:

blarby
June 7, 2012, 07:48 PM
Quote:
You cannot track a USPS order like you can UPS or FedEx
Sure you can. Even the first class packages I send regularly with tracking tell you every step of the way and even give an estimate of delivery date.
Quote:
and your shipment seems to be an anomaly -I get all three and USPS is always the slowest
I've not seen that to be the case for me, either. FEDEX seems to be a day behind USPS consistently.

Quote:
Their tracking system is useless
Really? Mailed a package yesterday evening, it already has 5 updates of it's progress and it hasn't even left the metro area yet.

------My experience, as well.-------

They were components, not ammo.

I don't order ammo........

AK103K
June 7, 2012, 08:59 PM
I use USPS (both ways) at every opportunity. I hate UPS. Nothing but aggravation, both ways. Fedex is my second choice if I cant use USPS.

Ive sent, and recieved tons of stuff, across the country using Priority Mail, and if its not there in 2-3 days, its an oddity.

UPS has twice left stuff Ive ordered at other peoples houses a couple of miles away. Luckily, they were nice enough to bring it by both times. Calls to UPS bitching were a waste of time. Dealing with them at the hub is nothing but aggravation. They dont have a clue as to what their own regs are.

When they are the only choice, anything I have shipped to me using them, usually takes at least a week, unless its very close.

I think the reason people don't use it more is not because shipping is slow, it's usually just as fast as the others, it's because if you have to deal with an actual person at the usps you'll understand why it's a federal offense to carry a gun in the post office. It's to keep us from shooting the completely incompetent customer facing employees.
I understand how you feel here. Its not something you need deal with though. You can do just about everything from your computer and they will pick it up. I havent had to go to the PO to ship a package or buy postage for a long time.

basicblur
June 7, 2012, 09:16 PM
I wish I could show you the USPS "tracking" that shows packages as "processing" when its sitting in my living room.
Yup-I've experienced the same thing.

I do use USPS where possible-got some of their free shipping boxes in the closet, most of which were delivered to my door free by USPS.

A couple of things I've noticed:
1. USPS tracking generally sux, but curiously, if stuff is shipped USPS from Amazon, you can go to Amazon's site and get good tracking info from Amazon's site. Use the same tracking number at USPS site, and it always seems to be way behind, and I've often received my package while it looks like it's still states away. I don't know how Amazon can provide good tracking info while USPS cannot (Amazon has to be going through some USPS tracking site?).
2. Some vendors have sent stuff to me USPS, but charged UPS rates - I guess they're making a few bucks on shipping?

UPS is OK as long as everything works, but if there's a hiccup in the system, it often devolves to a Chinese Fire Drill (apologies to the Chinese). :banghead:

Bubbles
June 7, 2012, 09:35 PM
We don't ship USPS or FedEx because their hubs are 30 miles further away than the post office, and arranging for a pickup is hit or miss.

blarby
June 7, 2012, 10:00 PM
Well, at least in relation to my current order.......

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=662629

It seems the vendor never actually touches it. Its a direct sales route to their distributor, which is basically Speer directly.

So I guess I get to bark at Speer !

Mr. Farknocker
June 7, 2012, 10:16 PM
USPS (especially priorty mail) is excellent when it comes to shipping time. Its as fast, if not faster than UPS and FedEx IMO.....and this is to Hawaii, guys. I use it when the option is available. I think vendors don't like USPS because USPS is not as vendor friendly as the other carriers in terms of coordinating pick up, tracking, claims processing, etc. That being the case, the vendors more often then not, take the hit when a package doesnt arrive or is damaged in transit.

kb58
June 7, 2012, 10:26 PM
Odd the differing answers. I have to side with USPS working okay for me, but I also agree that the on-line tracking is just barely above useless. Oh, it tells you where it WAS just fine, and seems to run about a day behind. As was said above, I've received stuff and the tracking info still showed it as being many states away...

armoredman
June 7, 2012, 10:33 PM
basicblur, I'll bet they used that Mail Innovations garbage, UPS picks it up and delivers it to a large post office convenient to them.

basicblur
June 7, 2012, 11:01 PM
basicblur, I'll bet they used that Mail Innovations garbage, UPS picks it up and delivers it to a large post office convenient to them.
Mebbe so - that would explain some of the more detailed tracking info on Amazon vs. UPS - even though it's shipped USPS, mebbe it's actually in UPS hands and Amazon is getting tracking info from them.

The last day or so still has me bumfuggled - it would seem the last few days if it's back in the USPS system (from UPS), how is Amazon still accurately tracking it?
Since it's back in USPS hands, I'd think UPS would then be outta the loop, but Amazon seems to be getting updated tracking info for those last few days from somewhere?

Mebbe Amazon is utilizing USPS tracking info better / faster than the USPS site?

oldandslow
June 7, 2012, 11:13 PM
Blarby, 6/8/12

I am forced to use USPS at my remote US location because Fedex and UPS consider us International. USPS has lost two big dollar items this year alone, one being a SW 329 Night Guard revolver valued at more that $850 and a $170 Accurate Mold for casting lead bullets. Both were insured and had tracking numbers. The pistol just disappeared off their tracking record after leaving by plane from Hawaii. I inquired multiple times at the USPS and showed them the tracking info. Their reply- "we have no idea where it is so you should just wait, it will probably show up." I tried talking to the USPS manager who would not answer her phone and when I showed up in person to talk to her she could not be found. This went on for over two weeks after it disappeared and finally I had to contact the gun seller in Ohio who had his USPS office put out a tracer since our local USPS office was not interested in finding it. It conveniently was found the day after the tracer was done from 8,000 miles away.

The lost Accurate mold was finally returned to the sender two months later with the shipping label ripped off.

It's no wonder the USPS is broke. I would ship any other method than USPS if given the opportunity.

best wishes- oldandslow

arcticap
June 8, 2012, 03:33 AM
It's no wonder the USPS is broke.

The USPS is not broke at all. It actually has a huge operational profit. It's just that the profits are being diverted to pay for future retirement costs by 2016. Meanwhile Postal facilities are closing, workers have been laid off and are still being downsized at the expense of better working conditions and delivery services. I know that the letter carriers in my city have been complaining for a number of years now about how their work conditions have deteriorated. Due to the downsizing of the workforce, the workload of individual letter carriers has increased tremendously.

...The Postal Service is NOT broke. Indeed, in those four years of loudly deplored "losses," the service actually produced a $700 million operational profit (despite the worst economy since the Great Depression).

What's going on here? Right-wing sabotage of USPS financing, that's what.

In 2006, the Bush White House and Congress whacked the post office with the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act — an incredible piece of ugliness requiring the agency to PRE-PAY the health care benefits not only of current employees, but also of all employees who'll retire during the next 75 years. Yes, that includes employees who're not yet born!

No other agency and no corporation has to do this. Worse, this ridiculous law demands that USPS fully fund this seven-decade burden by 2016. Imagine the shrieks of outrage if Congress tried to slap FedEx or other private firms with such an onerous requirement.

This politically motivated mandate is costing the Postal Service $5.5 billion a year — money taken right out of postage revenue that could be going to services. That's the real source of the "financial crisis" squeezing America's post offices.

In addition, due to a 40-year-old accounting error, the federal Office of Personnel Management has overcharged the post office by as much as $80 billion for payments into the Civil Service Retirement System. This means that USPS has had billions of its sales dollars erroneously diverted into the treasury. Restore the agency's access to its own postage money, and the impending "collapse" goes away....

http://www.creators.com/opinion/jim-hightower/the-truth-about-the-u-s-postal-service.html

If anyone thinks that this article is in error, then check out the Google search results for more sources to read about it:

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=usps+broke&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&client=opera&hs=B6Z&rls=en&channel=suggest&q=usps+is+not+broke&oq=usps+is+not+broke&aq=f&aqi=g-m1&aql=&gs_l=serp.12..0i5.38688.40113.0.42357.7.7.0.0.0.0.127.790.0j7.7.0...0.0.OF3HUadImIc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=32a59002efbb6aba&biw=800&bih=467

Davek1977
June 8, 2012, 05:27 AM
I routinely get priority mail, and the "3 days" is at best a guess or maybe an average. Living in South Dakota....it OFTEN takes 4-5 days, and the the tracking system is a joke.

dragon813gt
June 8, 2012, 06:19 AM
Your delayed UPS order is an anomaly. I hate USPS shipping. It took three formal complaints from me to get packages delivered to my house. There were five medium flat rate boxes that weighed 65 pounds each. They were refusing to deliver because they said they were to heavy. This is completely unacceptable. My packages were delayed over a week because of this.

I routinely ship car parts worldwide through UPS. The tracking numbers are valid instantly. They deliver the packages on time. If there is an insurance claim it's handled and not ignored like with the USPS. It's worth paying a little more for A LOT better service.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

brickeyee
June 8, 2012, 11:28 AM
So, then, they have it, and it works.
Issue?

Commercial rates can be lower then USPS, and I prefer ONE shipper.

I get ONE bill to process each month.

USPS has done nothing but play catch up, why should I be bothered?

mgkdrgn
June 8, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yes FedEx give a discount to account holders. When I signed up it was about 10%.

Oh my, a "negotiated" rate with UPS/FedEX can have a MUCH higher discount than that, if you have enough volume.

Back when I was running a distribution center, we used FedEx, UPS, RPS (now FedEx ground), FedEx Air, and Priority Mail. We had negotiated rates with everyone ... except USPS (they didn't negotiate then ... don't know about now).

We did tractor trailer loads of UPS/FedEx/RPS every single day ... and maybe 1 pallet of USPS Priority.

My shipping system would automatically pick the low cost carrier for the type of service required.

And yes, FedEx is a contract carrier for USPS now.

mgkdrgn
June 8, 2012, 02:31 PM
Commercial rates can be lower then USPS, and I prefer ONE shipper.

I get ONE bill to process each month.

USPS has done nothing but play catch up, why should I be bothered?
ONE shipper is fine ... until that shipper goes on strike, or has some other sort of "issue".

When they do, you -will not- be able to get the other shippers to accept your packages, they will service their existing customers and won't have the capacity to handle everybody else.

Do yourself a favor and "hedge your bets" by using multiple shippers so you won't get "locked out" when things go South.

RKBABob
June 8, 2012, 02:57 PM
For those who complained about FedEx SmartPost and UPS Mail Innovations, both of which use the Postal Service for final delivery, I've received some "insider" information as to the problems with at least the FedEx version.

The package is picked up from the shipper by FedEx, but delivered to a FedEx distribution facility nearest to the Postal Service sorting facility for your deliver route.

Problem #1: FedEx and the USPS don't use the same delivery and sorting scheme, so the postal facility that seems logical to FedEx will often be completely wrong by postal standards. The postal facility will send a mis-routed package back to FedEx, who will send it right back to the postal service, who will send it right back to FedEx. Occasionally a miracle happens and a FedEx or postal worker who's tired of lugging the same package will bypass the broken system and make sure the damn thing gets delivered somehow.

Problem #2: Innacurate tracking caused by FedEx. FedEx marks all packages destined for a postal facility as being delivered to them, even though they've just been set aside in a designated area waiting to be transported to a postal facility.

Problem #4: FedEx does not deliver your package to the postal facility themselves, and the postal workers won't pick up packages from FedEx, either. The packages are transferred from FedEx to the USPS by a 3rd party contractor, paid at piece rate, and who provides his own vehicle (U-Haul, maybe?) for the job. It is in the 3rd party's best interest to wait until there is a mountain of packages waiting at FedEx to go to the post office so he can get paid lump sum, and cover his gas, rental, etc costs.

Problem #5: While your package is in some back room at FedEx waiting for "some guy with a van" to pick it up, it has already been marked as delivered to the Post Office. The Post Office has no clue where your package is, though, since they only have a vague notice to eventually expect a package with a certain tracking number. The tracking number isn't going to generate any data on the postal side until the package is delivered to them and has its arrival scan performed. Your package doesn't exist while its in FedEx's back room or "some guy with a van's" possession, so he's free to swipe anything he wants, since neither delivery service will admit to having your stuff in their possession anyway.

The worst of all worlds, indeed.

kcshooter
June 8, 2012, 03:01 PM
The packages are transferred from FedEx to the USPS by a 3rd party contractoroof.
Remind me never to send anything I value thru this method.
This just sounds like a really bad idea.

spoogie
June 8, 2012, 03:25 PM
USPS is weird. I've seen USPS "tracking" updates similar to post #13, and other times, I've gotten the USPS package, not realized it (left it at different door - between the screen door and interior door), logged on, and not seen any update for the last 4 days, then found the package later that evening.

Sometimes it's like you get tracking, but only really get delivery confirmation. Other times, it's the whole shebang, but either way they call it tracking.

-S

newfalguy101
June 8, 2012, 09:31 PM
Sometimes it's like you get tracking, but only really get delivery confirmation. Other times, it's the whole shebang, but either way they call it tracking.

-S
actually, the USPS does NOT offer tracking, just delivery confirmation, thats what they offer, thats what they sell, unless you use Express mail.

It all depends on the post offices it passes through whether or not it gets updated with "tracking info"

gfanikf
June 9, 2012, 01:23 AM
Truthfully nothing beats DHL, shame they don't do the domestic market. Great customer support and speed.

TJx
June 9, 2012, 07:08 AM
Look at the detail in USPS tracking in post #13. People complaining about USPS tracking are like little kids on Christmas Eve wanting updates every 5 minutes on where Santa is.
The package was picked up, it arrived at your post office, it's out for delivery, what more do people need? The example has a lot more.
As to reliability, I've sent hundreds of forum sales through USPS the past few years and have lost 1 package going to an APO that the buyer had to eat because he didn't pay the optional insurance.
Also, small 1st Class packages the past couple of years have typically moved at Priority speed.
USPS is the best deal going.

joed
June 9, 2012, 08:09 AM
Any time I order something I look at all shipping options. When it comes to USPS I do like the priority mail. Used to use it quite a bit when I had a cast bullet business. Rarely had deliveries take more then 3 days anywhere in ConUS.

redneck2
June 9, 2012, 08:14 AM
actually, the USPS does NOT offer tracking, just delivery confirmation, that's what they offer, that's what they sell, unless you use Express mail.I believe this thread was about Priority.

If you really want to see how it works with a package I just sent USPS Priority 1 1/2 days ago, log on to usps.com. Type in tracking number 0311 3260 0002 4491 1586. It's only going about 90 miles. Five updates in a 24 hours. Shows exactly where it is. Took me less than two minutes total.

Lots of tracking info.

USPS boxes look perfect. UPS and FedEx deliveries look like they ran over them with the truck before delivery.

joed
June 9, 2012, 08:14 AM
Look at the detail in USPS tracking in post #13. People complaining about USPS tracking are like little kids on Christmas Eve wanting updates every 5 minutes on where Santa is.
The package was picked up, it arrived at your post office, it's out for delivery, what more do people need? The example has a lot more.
As to reliability, I've sent hundreds of forum sales through USPS the past few years and have lost 1 package going to an APO that the buyer had to eat because he didn't pay the optional insurance.
Also, small 1st Class packages the past couple of years have typically moved at Priority speed.
USPS is the best deal going.
I believe you're totally right. I usually look once a day to see where my package is but I have friends that are as you describe.

Robert
June 9, 2012, 08:20 AM
As this is not really about firearms and is more about shipping methods, and since THR does not bother with shipping methods I think 2 pages and 48 posts is a good run for venting.

If you enjoyed reading about "USPS Priority- Why do businesses not use ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!