Just admit it... you bought some 'Zombie Bullets' didn't you!!

PDA

CoRoMo
June 7, 2012, 06:27 PM
Due to the recent "cannibal attacks"?

http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/dsp/search.htm?searchFor=cannibal

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/06/07/zombie-bullets-in-high-demand-following-flesh-eating-attacks/

Zombie Bullets In High Demand Following Flesh-Eating Attacks

...due to recent gory accounts of drug-induced, flesh-eating attacks in the news.

Stores across the U.S., including in Metro Detroit, are getting in on the undead action by selling Zombie Bullets...

If you enjoyed reading about "Just admit it... you bought some 'Zombie Bullets' didn't you!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blarby
June 7, 2012, 06:29 PM
Not because of this, but ya, I have some.

mljdeckard
June 7, 2012, 06:30 PM
Not only did I not buy any, Hornady is on my poop list for introdcing yet another gimmick product.

parsimonious_instead
June 7, 2012, 07:16 PM
I think "Zombie Ammo" is silly, but I'm nonetheless tempted to buy a few boxes in different calibers simply because I think this is a silly passing fancy and within a few years you'll be hard pressed to find Zombie targets and "Z-Max ammo."

BigN
June 7, 2012, 07:17 PM
I've never bought any and to this day have no idea what the deal with it is. Never seen a zombie.

19-3Ben
June 7, 2012, 07:21 PM
Nope. I have not bought it and have no intention of doing so.

Auf Grosser Fahrt
June 7, 2012, 07:21 PM
Rather have Buffalo Bore.

But I have seen a few cool zombie knives.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mqdJePsLC2Gs87Id-uhy0Hw/140.jpg

Neverwinter
June 7, 2012, 07:35 PM
No, and certainly not that biohazard reticle Eotech.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

CZguy
June 7, 2012, 08:18 PM
No, but I will own up to buying a bayonet for a pistol. Which is darn near as silly.

Tommygunn
June 7, 2012, 08:24 PM
I've never bought any and to this day have no idea what the deal with it is. Never seen a zombie.

Go to Washington DC. You'll see lots and lots of zombies.:neener:

skt239
June 7, 2012, 08:33 PM
Not only did I not buy any, Hornady is on my poop list for introdcing yet another gimmick product.

I don't understand why people got so bent out of shape over the Hornady zombie bullets. They were released well before the face eater, they didn't cost any extra (at least not at my LGS) and was no different than the critical defense line, except for the green tip.

Personally I think it was a great move for a business that's out to make a profit (the horror!).

matrem
June 7, 2012, 08:34 PM
Never seen a zombie.

Just go to a few job sites where union guys are "working'.
You'll see plenty.

As for Hornady's Zombie bullets..
well.. v-max aren't exactly bad rifle bullets based on the ones I've loaded and shot. I suppose they'd be just as good with a green polycarbonate tip in them?

There are far worse and far better handgun rounds than their critical defense line also..

But..yea.. as mentioned, they aught to quit the gimmicks!

skoro
June 7, 2012, 08:36 PM
Nope.

Just not into the whole current zombie fad.

Wasn't into the recent vampire fad, either.

Or the pirate fad that preceded it. :rolleyes:

foghornl
June 7, 2012, 08:39 PM
Never saw any on the shelves locally, so i didn't buy any.

Sorta thought it was a funny marketing idea, though

JFrame
June 7, 2012, 08:44 PM
I think "Zombie Ammo" is silly, but I'm nonetheless tempted to buy a few boxes in different calibers simply because I think this is a silly passing fancy and within a few years you'll be hard pressed to find Zombie targets and "Z-Max ammo."

The collectable aspect never occurred to me. I saw some in the glass case at Wally World yesterday -- maybe I should have picked up a box or two while I was there...

nyctpt
June 7, 2012, 08:46 PM
It was cheaper than Critical Defense because of a sale at my LGS when I bought some in 9mm.

Ryan

Rail Driver
June 7, 2012, 08:49 PM
I'm considering getting a box or two just for the novelty - Other than that, they're not much different than the critical defense I carry now.

Robbins290
June 7, 2012, 08:56 PM
i got 2 boxes of hornaday zombie ammo in 9mm. even before the stuff in florida. zombies are creepy critters

ThorinNNY
June 7, 2012, 09:00 PM
I suppose if I were totally unprepared and only had 150 rounds or so of .30-30 Winchester 170 grain on hand, I`ll be toast unless I run out and buy 2 or 3 cases of official Zombie Killin` Ammo ? :rolleyes:

Ala Dan
June 7, 2012, 09:00 PM
I haven't bought any Zombie ammo just yet; and see NO NEED too add any of it
to my "bug out" bag. Cor-Bon "Pwr' Ball works really well, when fired from any
of my .45 ACP's~! :D :)

Dr.Rob
June 7, 2012, 09:02 PM
If I ever decide I really need a box Bass Pro Shops keeps them in bulk. I asked for a box of .223 for an xmas gift for gags. Didn't get it :P

I have a bunch of V-max loaded for varminting.. the OAL is too long for an AR's magazine though. Works great in an HR single shot.

MrDig
June 7, 2012, 09:03 PM
Had some before the attacks might have some after. If I told you I would divulge too much, then have to go to my own funeral as a guy named Phil Shiffley.............

jdub3
June 7, 2012, 10:41 PM
I did last week, when they were the only 5.56 available at Wally World.

Ky Larry
June 7, 2012, 10:54 PM
Got a few thousand Z-Max bullets back in the winter when they were on sale. I put them in my Obamanation survival bag along with some powder and primers. For "just in case."
I don't know why some people get their undies in a wad over Zombie ammo and bullets. It's just a joke. Lighten up.

spoogie
June 7, 2012, 11:17 PM
Bought some only because the actual bullets were $30 less than normal V-max's, per 1000.

-s

kb58
June 7, 2012, 11:24 PM
No. It's about the most stupidly thought-through advertising stunt ever, and regardless how much money they make, it gives gun-owners yet another blackeye.

armoredman
June 7, 2012, 11:28 PM
I bought some in 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm for the novelty, but the price tag at the local store was outrageous. I shot some of the 5.56mm stuff, both chrony and accuracy, and found it wasn't as accurate in my rifle as my handloads. Chrony'd at 2850 out of a 16 tube. The 7.62x39mm box I leave intact for photo stuff of the joke kind,

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Areyoukidding.jpg

And who knows, when my son goes through my stuff after the will reading, maybe it will be worth something.

CZguy
June 8, 2012, 12:02 AM
Just not into the whole current zombie fad.

Wasn't into the recent vampire fad, either.

Or the pirate fad that preceded it.

I knew that I was old, but I didn't even know about the first two. :o

orionengnr
June 8, 2012, 12:26 AM
Negative, Ghost Rider.

303tom
June 8, 2012, 12:29 AM
NO...................Its Stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupidity

scythefwd
June 8, 2012, 12:33 AM
yup..some sierra game king zombie bullets.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 8, 2012, 12:34 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wankerjake
June 8, 2012, 12:37 AM
I found an empty box the other day at a popular shooting spot. I chuckled. I don't buy it but I do try and set aside a box or two after a reloading session once in awhile and store it away in an ammo can for stockpiling. I call it my "bullets for zombies campaign." But really it's in case components get stupid expensive or scarce like they did 4 years ago. Ya know cause zombies, while hilarious, aren't real;)

HGUNHNTR
June 8, 2012, 12:46 AM
I love hearing some of these responses! I never would have guessed so many adults would react so violently to a little fun/humor. I'll buy some more tomorrow in y'alls place. ;)

M.Weier
June 8, 2012, 12:57 AM
I bought thousands of the zmax .224 bullets for handloading because they are vmax bullets with a differant color tip, and they are priced less than vmax! Seemed like a no brainer to me!

4D5
June 8, 2012, 01:03 AM
Bought 1 box in .233 and one box in 45 acp just for the novelty.

taraquian
June 8, 2012, 01:14 AM
Yep, bought boxes of 9mm .380 and .40. $5 a box less than my usual critical defense...and i like green:neener:

Robert
June 8, 2012, 01:20 AM
Nope

JEB
June 8, 2012, 01:22 AM
found a box in .40 a few months ago and passed. kinda wish i hadnt. i have really been holding out to find a box in 12ga to give to a buddy of mine. he is a "shotgun only" kind of guy and i think he would get a kick out of it.

steveo452
June 8, 2012, 01:34 AM
I can't believe people fall for this Zombie Max crap. Anybody with half a brain know's regular ammo works just as well on a zombie. ;)

asia331
June 8, 2012, 02:30 AM
No; reasons follow.
1. Silliest damn fad I've seen in quite a long time.
2. Following a righteous DGU, who would like to be the "pioneer" to have to explain their Zombie load-out to a Grand Jury?

Texan Scott
June 8, 2012, 03:06 AM
No. Not just because it's a stupid fad, but because I haven't been able to find any DATA for them. Are they just a typical Hornady red tip in different colors? i can't find word one about purported velocities, anything!

Crazy thing is, apparently they make 'zombie bullets' for .30-30. Haven't seen them, but my BIL says he bought some. (presumably, the zombie virus, like influenza, could spread to feral hogs- though I'm not sure how that would make them any worse.)

FUNNY thing is, I asked him if he'd seen the new tacticool Mossberg levergun.
He hadn't. I showed him a picture. He nearly vomited, i think. Even the .30-30 zombie load buying BIL gagged at that one. He accused me of photoshopping it. I had to show him the actual website. Finally he decided it IS the perfect rifle for the zombie .30-30 (you have to admit, it makes an odd sort of sense). Now he wants one just for what he calls 'the ugly factor'.

Some people's children... :rolleyes:

Davek1977
June 8, 2012, 03:17 AM
No, not out of any disdain for the idea or concept, but because I believe Federal Fusion 62 grainers will dispatch zombies better!!!!! That....and I'm a cheapass who already has a LOT of ammo on hand.

murphys_law
June 8, 2012, 07:33 AM
Nope, overpriced. Neat marketing idea though.

Walkalong
June 8, 2012, 07:59 AM
When time to replenish my supply of 55 Gr V-Max's, I bought the cheaper Z-Max's, since they were reported to be the same, albeit with a cannelure. I do not think they are quite the same. They seem to be of heavier construction.

RDCL
June 8, 2012, 08:30 AM
I'll pick up a box one day.....if anything just to say "look at this":D

Have to say though, I never thought I'd see the day when a major ammo maker would actually cater to this silly (but highly entertaining) fad.

Russ

brnmuenchow
June 8, 2012, 09:08 AM
Rather have Buffalo Bore.

I would imagine that if that don't stop a zombie, nothing will!:) (But I guess the green tip gives the zombie bullet special powers like the silver bullets do for werewolves.)
Still have to say no to buying them, I have not jumped on the zombie slaying fad bandwagon yet. Love zombie movies... hate the fad.:scrutiny:

Skribs
June 8, 2012, 11:58 AM
Nope, I won't buy the zombie bullets. Not because they're some overpriced premium marketed round and zombies are stupid (because I don't care about any of that), but because the design they have offers low penetration.

CountryUgly
June 8, 2012, 01:29 PM
Yep I sure have.... the way I see it is my gun is a tool first and a toy second. Does Z-Max work as a suitable defense or hunting round...YES.... Is shooting guns fun.....does the zombie craze bring intresting and uniquely fun products to the open market....don't you like to have fun with a hobby....I know I do...Soooo, I bought it because it's an effective and reliable round that adds a little fun without costing anymore than the plain looking box of the same stuff next to it on the shelf.

CoRoMo
June 8, 2012, 01:33 PM
I should have made it a poll thread.

Dang it.

tech30528
June 8, 2012, 01:37 PM
No, but I did order the Red Jacket ZK-22 bullpup stock. Before the face eating guy, though. If you want to see zombies, ask a college student to explain how UHC will work..:neener:

buck460XVR
June 8, 2012, 01:48 PM
The Zombie ammo fad is no different than the "Beanie Baby" fad of a few years back. Folks used to have them sittin' out showin' them off too. :rolleyes:

I'm thinkin' the next marketing strategy for soft tipped ammo will be that one will be able to custom order any color or design on the tip......for a small additional cost of course.

JohnM
June 8, 2012, 01:54 PM
"Zombie" bullets? :barf:

fallout mike
June 8, 2012, 02:04 PM
Im thinking about buying a box for a few different calibers just to keep as a collectible.

academy
June 8, 2012, 03:08 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155816/Is-Cloud-Nine-zombie-apocalypse-Police-issue-warning-new-drug-TWO-cannibal-attacks.html

England misses the point too.

I've not really had much of an opinion on this whole zombie fad, but maybe it is doing some harm if this is how we are perceived in places where there are real battles to be fought for the rights of mankind.

kcshooter
June 8, 2012, 03:09 PM
I refuse to participate in the shenanigans.

Kyle88
June 8, 2012, 03:33 PM
Shhhhh..... don't knock the zombie ammo.. let the idiots buy that stuff so they leave the rest of the ammo shelves for us to pick off of... :D

Haxby
June 8, 2012, 05:44 PM
I've only been shooting for about 47 years, and I live in the sticks, and most fads die out before I even hear of them.
I've only bought 1 box of Zombie Max ammo. Just in case.

Texan Scott
June 8, 2012, 05:48 PM
I hate the zombie thing. not the stupid advertising gimmick - though it does make us look crazy to non-gun people - but the 'zombie' fascination in general. I've seen people die messily. I've seen enough dead and/or dismembered/ mulitlated/ rotting corpses IN REAL LIFE to not find them comfortably amusing anywhere else.

splattergun
June 8, 2012, 09:40 PM
Zombie bullets? Nope! I prefer live rounds.
:neener:

Dnaltrop
June 8, 2012, 09:50 PM
Nope... Too much Zombie stuff today, a good idea being copied into worthlessness.

Even with the Meth/LSD/PCP high of a bathsalt user... I'm fairly sure my CCW ammo will be equally (in?)effective.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/miami-zombie-attack-explanation-former-bath-salt-addict-says-drug-felt-so-evil

http://www.examiner.com/article/drug-bath-salts-allegedly-involved-louisiana-zombie-face-biting-attack

Nothing against you folks who get a kick out of it, just not my "thing"

Edit- I'm with Nushif, I wouldn't mind another Supernatural-Threat themed ammunition, I'm just tired of zombies SPECIFICALLY.

JayDT
June 8, 2012, 11:45 PM
Yes, I bought some. Cheaper than Critical Defense.

fallout mike
June 9, 2012, 12:00 AM
I think it would be cool to pass a box of zombie max down to my son in 15 years & tell him they came out years ago when a bunch of nut jobs thought we were going to have a zombie apocalypse. He should get a kick out of that.

armoredman
June 9, 2012, 12:45 AM
I tried to get a bullet company to make some "other supernatural" themed products, and they're sick of the whole thing too.:D

I can just see cross emblazoned silver embedded bayonets for AKs for sale at Cheaper than Dirt soon...

DC3-CVN-72
June 9, 2012, 12:50 AM
nope . :)

Captain Brown Beard
June 9, 2012, 12:52 AM
I picked up a few boxes in 7.62x39, as anything besides Russian/Yugo surplus FMJ is hard to come by. I don't know how zombie effective they are, but I know they work wonders on coyotes at 100+.

Chevelle SS
June 9, 2012, 01:45 AM
If they were cheaper than regular ammo I would buy some.

YankeeFlyr
June 9, 2012, 02:07 AM
I just can't see making light of something so serious as firearms.

We all want to have fun when we shoot...but...dare I say it....not TOO much fun, if you know what I mean. I've seen giggling jokers forget that they're shouldering deadly weapons, even if they're not committing some unsafe act.

It's the.......attitude.

Silly <removed> should be left to children. Not firearms.

Ignition Override
June 9, 2012, 02:59 AM
No-but instead I bought a thin pack of zombie targets at Bass Pro.
These look like a zombie feral pig smiling at you. Lots of fun for an SKS!

You can see the bright white "splatter" outlines around each hole from about eighty feet distance, maybe more:
"Darkotic", by Birchwood Casey, which also produces some even stranger animal images.

Nushif
June 9, 2012, 06:45 AM
I just can't see making light of something so serious as firearms.

We all want to have fun when we shoot...but...dare I say it....not TOO much fun, if you know what I mean. I've seen giggling jokers forget that they're shouldering deadly weapons, even if they're not committing some unsafe act.

It's the.......attitude.

Silly <removed> should be left to children. Not firearms.

Can't say I get it. I've never actually had too much fun while doing something even mildly safe-like. 8)

MAG-63
June 9, 2012, 06:59 AM
No, because I don't see any humor in it at all. It just gives the anti's yet another reason to paint gun owners as "kooks", "whackos" or "unstable". Hornady has lost me as a customer as a result of this ridiculous marketing ploy. :mad:

Carl N. Brown
June 9, 2012, 08:58 AM
Watch the original "Night of the Living Dead": all you really need in a Zombie Apocalypse is a Winchester 1894 and a shoebox full of half empty mixed boxes of .30-30 from deer seasons past.

ole farmerbuck
June 9, 2012, 09:12 AM
When time to replenish my supply of 55 Gr V-Max's, I bought the cheaper Z-Max's, since they were reported to be the same, albeit with a cannelure. I do not think they are quite the same. They seem to be of heavier construction.
Hmmmm, they sure work the same on p-dogs, just quite a bit cheaper. So yea, I bought a bunch of 55's 40's, 32's and 50's. Gotta save a BUCK when I can.

bikerdoc
June 9, 2012, 09:33 AM
Topics that should be locked on sight,

Zombies
SHTF
Teotwawki
What caliber for bears
9 vs 45
Taurus bashing
What gun for my wife, girlfriend, mother.

Just my .02, YMMV

If you enjoyed reading about "Just admit it... you bought some 'Zombie Bullets' didn't you!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!