Only One, Period!

PDA

steveo452
June 7, 2012, 08:15 PM
Yes thats right, another "if you could only have one" but with a little different twist. You have to choose only one (Firearm) for whatever reason is important to you, weather that be home defense, SHTF, barbeque gun, target or hunting. Whatever is important to you. I am curious to see what the ratio will be between rifle, handgun and shotgun. If you dont care to play, just click to another thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "Only One, Period!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ruezim
June 7, 2012, 08:21 PM
My 870 it is older then me and works better then me. Besides what can't you do with a shotgun.

Ruezim

saturno_v
June 7, 2012, 08:23 PM
Obvious answer...a shotgun....the most veratile firearm ever designed...

Covers everything....bird and very sall animal hunting, big game hunting (slugs), predator defense (hardened specialized slugs), home defence (buckshot)

My pump shottie would be my "only one" hypotethical firearm....especially the new pumps with available rifled barrels, optics and spitzer saboted slugs can be truly 200+ yards big game hunting rigs....

JohnM
June 7, 2012, 08:26 PM
Besides what can't you do with a shotgun.

Well for instance, you ain't gonna knock down an elk at 200 yards.

Think I'll click and go elsewhere.

steveo452
June 7, 2012, 08:32 PM
I can certainly see a case for the shotgun, but then again with a handgun the ability to conceil could also be a factor, me personally I would have to go with my CZ 527 Carbine (7.62X39) because of it's compact size and lightweight and the ability to take most game in america out to 200 yards. The ammo is cheap and easy to find, and its not an EBR, so it may not turn as many heads. So it boils down to short range versitility, short range and coceilability or Firepower and longrange. Interested to see the replys.

heeler
June 7, 2012, 08:37 PM
My God I would hate to have to make a decision like that but if it absolutely came to it then it would be a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 Combo.
At least with that choice you would have a bird/small game/home protection barrel and with todays Sabot slugs a neo rifle that was still called a shotgun.
Edit to add...And you could buy any barrel that you thought was necessary for most practical applications.

MCgunner
June 7, 2012, 08:46 PM
I could not manage with only one firearm. A shotgun doesn't conceal well and a .357 magnum SP101 ain't much of a waterfowl gun.

mattmann
June 7, 2012, 08:53 PM
Probably my arsenal slr107f. It folds up.nice and tight for a backpack is a great defensive gun and can take down the game in my area and surrounding.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Dr.Rob
June 7, 2012, 08:59 PM
This belongs in general so I am moving it...

ColtPythonElite
June 7, 2012, 09:15 PM
A good 4" .357, most likely a Colt King Cobra....I can use it for CCW, home protection, putting meat on the table and if it's the bright polished model, I could even bling it around at a BBQ if the opportunity ever came up.

chad1043
June 7, 2012, 09:18 PM
I'm a little weird. I'll take my Marlin 981T.

Chevelle SS
June 7, 2012, 09:19 PM
12ga SXS shotgun with 26'' barrels because it can do anything :D

HDCamel
June 7, 2012, 09:24 PM
As far as general purpose weapons go, why wouldn't you use a military-type rifle?
That's kind of their thing.

Rail Driver
June 7, 2012, 09:25 PM
AR-15 (registered receiver, since we're playing games) for versatility.

doc2rn
June 7, 2012, 09:38 PM
I would have to go AR, that way I could have a whole bunch of uppers in variable calibers from .22lr to .50 cal!
If you want shotgun also get a Handy Rifle.

Gottahaveone
June 7, 2012, 09:52 PM
Again? :barf:

saturno_v
June 7, 2012, 09:54 PM

Have you ever heard of spitzer sabot slugs out of rifled barrel?? 200yards elk?? Doable....

Fat Boy
June 7, 2012, 10:25 PM
The usage question is important I think. This question involves getting a single firearm to do perhaps many things, some of which it may not have been intended to do. I think a .22lr handgun that is accurate and dependable is hard to beat because it can do many things well; for example the Ruger or Browning semi-auto- these guns are typically easy to shoot well, ammunition is comparatively inexpensive, it isn't terribly noisy, has minimal recoil, it can harvest small game successfully with minimal damage to the meat, can be easily packed with quite a bit of ammunition, and in a worst-case scenario can provide defense against predators, both 2 and 4 legged types. Large game? No, but then I don't see a situation where I would be going after large game. So for me the .22 handgun would be a good choice. YMMV :)

Onward Allusion
June 7, 2012, 10:31 PM
10/22

Ala Dan
June 7, 2012, 10:41 PM
Remington 870 "Marine Magnum", should take care of any chores that may arise~! ;) :D

jbr
June 7, 2012, 10:50 PM
Makes me sad to think about it- but i'd probably go with a shotgun. It might not can do everything but it comes the closest to it.

SlowFuse
June 7, 2012, 10:59 PM
Mine would be a Win 1300 with multiple barrels. I agree an AR lower with multiple configs is a great idea but I still have to say shotgun.

DefiantDad
June 7, 2012, 11:00 PM
AR15.

It will do almost everything, just some things not so great (but still doable).

It takes care of CQB, some hunting, HD, urban, etc. and you MIGHT get lucky picking up parts and ammo since it's so ubiquitous.

Either that or a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.

jeepnik
June 7, 2012, 11:50 PM
Dad's WWII bring back. A pristine WWI era P-08 with shoulder stock holster.

MedWheeler
June 7, 2012, 11:55 PM
I don't hunt, and anything else I'd want to do can be done with a good .22LR. For home defense, I'd want my 10/22 as it is currently configured, but it's not practical for personal defense. So, I'd likely opt for the Ruger SR22 pistol.
I actually did a points-system rating once of all my handguns, scoring them in practicality in three fields: personal enjoyment (i.e. plinking), home defense, and personal defense. I won't delve into the details since I'd then have to list them all (I do not yet own the SR22 Ruger.), but the one that eeked into the top spot was indeed a .22LR.

PT92
June 8, 2012, 12:00 AM

Nah--If you're hunting just close the gap to a football field or so (life ain't easy but we improvise).

-Cheers

P.B.Walsh
June 8, 2012, 12:02 AM
Winchester Model 70 (CRF) in .308, 18.5" barrel, small(er/ish) scope with buis.

commygun
June 8, 2012, 12:04 AM
Kahr MK40. Small enough for CC in most circumstances, powerful enough for self defense. I guess you could even hunt with it in an extreme situation.

PT92
June 8, 2012, 12:06 AM
I don't hunt, and anything else I'd want to do can be done with a good .22LR. For home defense, I'd want my 10/22 as it is currently configured, but it's not practical for personal defense. So, I'd likely opt for the Ruger SR22 pistol.
I actually did a points-system rating once of all my handguns, scoring them in practicability in three fields: personal enjoyment (i.e. plinking), home defense, and personal defense. I won't delve into the details since I'd then have to list them all (I do not yet own the SR22 Ruger.), but the one that eeked out the top spot was indeed a .22LR.
I too admire the absolute diverse practicality of the .22lr and have complete confidence in its potential lethality, be it two or four legged creatures. That being said and absent the 10/22 being your only available firearm, why would you choose it for a 'primary' HD gun?

Not arguing just curios.

-Cheers

lobo9er
June 8, 2012, 12:11 AM
22mag/22lr single action revolver. Could take a deer and any other small game to feed your self, rugged reliable. Dont own one but have thought they would be a pretty versatile option.

Or maybe a compound bow.

better question would be Only one caliber. And I am sure it has been asked.

EchoM70
June 8, 2012, 01:10 AM
I would definitely go with a Savage/Stevens Model 24 in .223/12ga. I could take down deer sized game at 200 yards with the .223 barrel and take out anything else closer with the 12 gauge. It's the perfect combo IMO.

mnrivrat
June 8, 2012, 02:08 AM
I spent several hard years with only one gun.

A 19 inch barrel Mossberg 500 in 20ga. Didn't find anything it would not take care of.

June 8, 2012, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Gottahaveone:

Again?:barf:
Man, like the OP said, if you don't want to play, just click on another thread.:rolleyes:

For me, it would be one of my 14.5 pinned ARs.

Sheepdog1968
June 8, 2012, 02:21 AM
Hmmm. This is good. For me it has to be a rifle. I enjoy social shooting, hunting, and want something to defend my home. I have a very strong love for a 30-30 lever action. I'd be very temped to go that direction. Having said that it is a bit limited in ammo capacity if I need to defend myself. Normally I wouldn't worry because my assumption is I would have a pistol as a backup. In this case I wouldn't have a back up pistol. As such, I might lean towards a M1a rifle. Not quite as handy to hunt with though. It would be a tough choice. I think I would be happy with either.

Kyle88
June 8, 2012, 02:27 AM
Mini 14... it is easily my favorite gun in my collection.. even over my AR and L1A1.

49north
June 8, 2012, 02:30 AM
Mak 90 with a folding stock would be fine with me.
Though I think it would be a stretch for ccw.:what:

Inebriated
June 8, 2012, 03:36 AM
My 870.

Again?
You see the name of the thread, you already don't like this type of thread, yet you open it anyway? Brilliance at its best.

2zulu1
June 8, 2012, 03:45 AM
Of what I have, M1 Garand National Match.

DefiantDad
June 8, 2012, 04:41 AM
Man, like the OP said, if you don't want to play, just click on another thread.:rolleyes:

For me, it would be one of my 14.5 pinned ARs.
Not to go off track but what's a "pinned" AR?

June 8, 2012, 04:44 AM
^^^ 14.5 inch barrel with a permanently pinned/welded flash hider to bring it to a non-NFA length of 16 inch barrel.

DefiantDad
June 8, 2012, 04:51 AM
OK thanks; I got that also.

Brian Williams
June 8, 2012, 07:23 AM
My S&W 65 with a 4" pencil barrel.

Carl Levitian
June 8, 2012, 07:32 AM
I gave up hunting 30 years ago, so that rules some things out.

I'd take my SW 4 inch 617. Does well for target and plinking, and with some good ammo will make an intruder uncomfortable. Small enough to be transported out of sight, yet dead nuts reliable and accurate. Easy to maintain.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 8, 2012, 07:33 AM
I would say an old break-open Savage that has a rifle and shotgun combo.

HGUNHNTR
June 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
Glock 34

windjammer
June 8, 2012, 10:52 AM
If one only it would have to be my S&W 686 4".

SaxonPig
June 8, 2012, 10:54 AM
One gun to do everything I need a gun to do... Well, it would be a compact shotgun. Except for concealed carry it is the most versatile of guns. With slugs, buck and bird shot I am ready for most anything. There is no one gun that is perfect for every purpose, but this would do as my one compromise gun for everything. It is lightweight, compact, has devastating close range power, and is easy to carry on a sling (note I have put swivels on it).

http://www.fototime.com/7C31EC8470C7E50/standard.jpg

valnar
June 8, 2012, 10:59 AM
My full-auto Thompson submachine gun. No wait...I don't have one of those.

kcshooter
June 8, 2012, 11:00 AM
Besides what can't you do with a shotgun. Holster it.

I'd have to go handgun, but I'd have a hard time deciding between a S&W .357 or Colt 1911 .45.

Mauser lover
June 8, 2012, 11:03 AM
One gun? Easy. A CVA Apex with all of the different barrels. Or a Rossi Wizard with all of the barrels. Not really the BEST for a HD scenario, but could be passable with a short 12 ga barrel.

Is my choice okay? Did I cheat? Too bad. :evil:

Striker
June 8, 2012, 11:07 AM
870 12 guage w/26" remchoked bbl. Jack of all trades, master of none. Will take any game in North America (yes even the big bears with Dixie Slugs) and still be a credible HD/SD platform.

Normally I don't care for 3" chambers, but if limited to one gun, want to have the most options available.

As always, YMMV.

Onward Allusion
June 8, 2012, 11:47 AM
Changing my selection to Ruger 10/22 Charger, but in an Axiom stock.

Wrings out pretty much all the energy of a 22LR while keeping it maneuverable indoors.

Skribs
June 8, 2012, 11:57 AM
For me, it would be a handgun. Can't CCW a long gun very easily.

MedWheeler
June 8, 2012, 12:54 PM
PT92 asks me:

I too admire the absolute diverse practicality of the .22lr and have complete confidence in its potential lethality, be it two or four legged creatures. That being said and absent the 10/22 being your only available firearm, why would you choose it for a 'primary' HD gun?

Not arguing just curios.

Because the point of the thread was to get me to pick just one firearm for all purposes, and I do enjoy casual shooting. As hot as it gets here in Florida, the 10/22 is just not practical to carry out and about for personal defense. I do keep it ready at night, but it would likely not be my first "go-to" gun because my carry pistol is also bedside when I am in bed, and on my belt when I am not.
Unlike others here, I do have confidence that I will never fall under an attack committed by someone that would run or otherwise cease to be a threat from a well-executed centerfire defense, but would not run or otherwise cease to be a threat from a well-executed rimfire defense. That being said, I do not currently rely solely on a rimfire weapon for protection because I live in a world in which I can have multiple firearms, and not the world I'd have to be in for this thread to be real.

bannockburn
June 8, 2012, 03:08 PM
Colt Government in .45ACP with a .22LR conversion unit.

DC3-CVN-72
June 9, 2012, 01:58 AM
I will take my RUGER 77/.357 MAG. bolt gun. :)

JSpear
June 9, 2012, 02:44 AM
My 870, I love the darn thing! So many uses, very rugged, it would have to be it!

coalman
June 9, 2012, 02:48 AM
Carry important: Glock 30 or Glock 19
Carry not important: Shotgun

Ignition Override
June 9, 2012, 02:53 AM
With present ammo prices being a major factor for me, the SKS, which has an aperture (Tech) sight.
Imported 7.62x39 is about the lowest-cost, center fire rd. in the US.

This "family" consists of wood/metal milsurp rifles. Have never owned a handgun or shotgun.

amprecon
June 9, 2012, 04:18 AM
This, my RRA LAR-6 A4 Mid-Length 6.8spc.

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab167/amprecon/011.jpg

RBid
June 9, 2012, 12:30 PM
The two most important criteria, in my opinion:

1. I'll always have it on me.
2. Reliability & durability.

After that, I'm looking at availability and cost of ammunition, capacity, ease of accuracy, ease of maintenance, Rule of Law & Without-, etc.

I would go with a compact version of a full size handgun, with available full size mags. SR9c, M&P9c, XDm 3.8" 9mm compact, Glock 26, etc. Any of these work for CCW or home defense, are easy to be accurate with, and are easy to maintain. 9mm is abundant and inexpensive. In the absence of RoL, you can load full size mags, and have more rounds to work with.

msrfrog
June 9, 2012, 02:03 PM
my 10/22.
long after the big game is depleted there will be plenty of bunnys ,squirrel, birds and such. don't really want to shoot small game with large caliber.
I have a butt load of ammo for it already.
It will stop a human. just not a bear . but I have large dogs for that.
I know I will have all the 22 haters against this but in the shtf I would rather have my ruger with 2000 rounds than my ak with 100 to 200 rounds.

NCWanderer
June 9, 2012, 04:00 PM
In a shtf situation? I wouldn't bat an eye or have a second thought. I'd have to go with my Mossberg 500. Many may differ but of all my guns that's the one I'd rather depend on.

speedway
June 9, 2012, 06:32 PM
If I could only own one, it would be a P7M13 HK.

Ranger30-06
June 9, 2012, 06:44 PM
The are 3 huge deciding factors for m

e in choosing a one for everything gun:

1: Absolute Reliability
2: Ammo availability
3: It needs to be powerful enough to take down anything I might encounter within 50 miles or so of where I live.

Given these criteria, I pick my Saiga .308 paired with its Nikon 3-9x40 scope. Its good to 300 yards and .308 is popular enough anywhere. Reliability? Its an AK. Nothing more to say!

The only issue is that it weighs over 15 lbs loaded with bipod... Its a bear to haul...

NoirFan
June 9, 2012, 09:32 PM
A 4" barrel .357 magnum k-frame was my only gun for years, and if I had to go back to just one I wouldn't feel under-armed with my trusty Model 19. A concealable weapon that can shoot everything from wadcutters to high-speed defense loads to heavy cast hunting bullets, whether up close or long distance the .357 can do it all. About the only thing it can't do is bird hunting and I don't really care about that.

I'd say the .357 magnum does about 80% of what I need a gun to do. If I'm allowed to add another gun, I'll take a 18.5" 12-gauge shotgun with aperture sights, which gets me to about 95% functionality.

whalerman
June 9, 2012, 09:37 PM
I like an Ithaca 37.

SpentCasing
June 9, 2012, 11:47 PM
My CCW- G19. Protection of my family will always remain first priority as long as I can buy food from the store.

Legionnaire
June 9, 2012, 11:58 PM
Well, as long as we're playing, and others have cited multi-barrel options, I'd have a Thompson/Center Encore frame registered as an SBR so that I could convert it from pistol configuration to rifle to SBR (rifle stock and short barrel) to my heart's content. Choate makes a nice side-folding rifle stock that with a 15" barrel would be the cat's meow. And there are pistol and rifle barrels from .22LR through centerfire pistol cartridges up to some significant magnum rifle catridges ... even shotgun barrels. An Encore frame registered as an SBR would be hard to beat.

Close behind would be a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 combo; keeps much of the versatility, but give up the handgun option. Another good option is the Savage 24, my personal favorite being .22WMR over 20 gauge.

talldragon
June 10, 2012, 12:35 AM
A 4" barrel .357 magnum k-frame was my only gun for years, and if I had to go back to just one I wouldn't feel under-armed with my trusty Model 19. A concealable weapon that can shoot everything from wadcutters to high-speed defense loads to heavy cast hunting bullets, whether up close or long distance the .357 can do it all. About the only thing it can't do is bird hunting and I don't really care about that.

^^^This (I already have one ;) ).
Very workable as a "One does most" weapon.
Given this hypothetical "Only one, period" anyhow :).

-G.I. M1911A1 in .45ACP

-A Savage model 24 would be another good one......

Point being: One cannot do all, but some will do most.

Mauser lover
June 10, 2012, 03:18 AM
oops, I forgot the encore platform... I might want that above the Apex.

P5 Guy
June 10, 2012, 01:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_gun

You did not say how many barrels the firearm could have? So I'll take a Double in 12gauge and .30'06, please!

tri70
June 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
Mini 14 fan!

Old judge creek
June 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
My primary considerations would be:

First - availability of ammunition or reloading components

Second - reliability

Third - "applicability versus" (meaning what would I expect to actually shoot with it)

Forth - "facility (or "packability) I don't want it too big or too heavy. It must be short in length, weigh in a light as reasonable, easy to pack along with me, etc.

My first thought would be "The Gun That REALLY Won the West" a double barrel shotgun. But the truth is that, effectiveness aside, I believe the ammo is less efficient/precise/ and more "spendy" from a materials-required standpoint.

And all through the 50s, 60, 70s 80, 90s, etc I always read and believed that if I could only have one gun, it'd be a 22 rimfire rifle. And with one possible exception, I still believe that today.

That exception is that the previous 50 years have taught me that, here in the 21st Century, out in the wild places, either times have changed or I have. I've come to believe that the real danger in the bush is two-legged. And worse, those same critters, however rarely seen in the wild, swarm worse than rats in the major metropolitan areas.

Defense rises to the top of my concerns.

My "one - gun" choice today, would be a Marlin or Rossi Trapper length lever rifle, preferably in 44 magnum, then 357 magnum, or third, A M94 Winchester Trapper chambered for 30-30.

And from real experience I know I can keep myself supplied and well fed with small game using either 44 or 357 light loads (or 44 or 38 Special rounds) in my Trappers.

mr.trooper
June 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
Something that can be safely light loaded to take small game without wasting it ... and can be heavy loaded to take deer at reasonable ranges.

A bolt action .223 carbine.

YankeeFlyr
June 11, 2012, 03:18 AM
M1A

hang fire
June 11, 2012, 04:19 AM
If only one and could never get another? Guess I would have to go with my fusil de chasse 20 balls to pound, smooth bore rock lock. Ball (any metal that would melt over a wood fire for casting) shot, (gravel in a corn shuck wad if need arose) could make me own holy black if required, could always find a rock to make sparks.

Yeah, it would be the fusil de chasse.

captain awesome
June 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
that's a no brainer, my TC encore. Can be turned into any thing I want. No one said (haven't read the whole thread so this is an assumption) anything about not being able to switch barrels or stocks. Might be a single shot, but it can serve a LOT of purposes with a couple barrel swaps, and handgun to rifle stock change. they can be shotguns too.

kb58
June 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
...It needs to be powerful enough to take down anything I might encounter within 50 miles or so of where I live...
Not going to happen. I think the guns on the WWII battleships only went 20 miles or so :P

Delford
June 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
Since I'm partially retired and it takes a couple years to save enough to buy something else I'd have to say it's what I have - my Ruger P345. I'm not a hunter but on the farm it would take out a coyote or feral hog and at home it would deal with 2 legged predators. Here's hoping I never have to meet either.

JShirley
June 11, 2012, 05:27 PM
Easy.

Bolt-action. 30-06.

gunsablazin
June 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
I'm going with my AR, it's light, holds lots of bullets, and will do about anything you would need to do with a gun in my part of the world.

Erik M
June 11, 2012, 08:57 PM
after learning how to reload shotgun shells I would choose a break action full choke 12 gauge.

If I have to choose a pistol then a Ruger GP100 4". They are built like tanks.

skt239
June 11, 2012, 10:49 PM
I wish we could only have one of these threads a month.

steveb4c
June 11, 2012, 11:31 PM
of all the ones i have, cool or not, it would have to be my mossberg 835. even with just one barrel,( i have two..20"&28") it will eat anything 12ga. and their's a lot of 12ga ammo out there

pacerdude
June 11, 2012, 11:36 PM
Probably a revolver chambered for .357 magnum! It would be concealable and in a pinch you could hunt with it too.

beatledog7
June 11, 2012, 11:51 PM
Marlin 1984C in .357 Magnum. Can be used for SH/HD, hunting, and plinking. Can launch a 180gr JHP at over 1400FPS or a 158Ggr SWC with almost no recoil.

So, if the situation warrants, I can take a rabbit at 50 yards or a deer out to 150 or so. I can rapidly dispatch 10 zombies before reloading. I have enough oomph to stop a black bear. And if I'm truly hungry, I can even take waterfowl; hunger overrules sportsmanship.

One might argue that all this could be done with a 12ga, and he'd be right. But I reload .38SPL and .357Mag, so I could keep shooting a lot longer.

JEB
June 12, 2012, 01:45 AM
easy choice for me, although i would hate to actually have to do it.

4" ruger GP100 .357 magnum

-can be carried concealed
-can be used for deer hunting
-load with mouse-fart wadcutters for squirrels
-ideal for home defense
-could still use it in IDPA

IMHO, there is nothing that i do with a gun that i couldnt do with a mid-size .357 (never really do any bird hunting or trap/skeet), although most of it is going to be a real challenge.

Calibre44
June 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
Winchester 1894 Trails End in .44 Mag for no other reason than it's beautiful :)
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/woodsy_2008/Guns/misc4202-1.jpg

weblance
June 12, 2012, 07:01 PM
Ruger 4" Single Six Convertible. 22 LR for hunting small game, 22 WMR for larger creatures. I dont like the idea of only one gun, but if for whatever reason, those were the rules, thats the one I would pick. Small, light, accurate, great ammo availability, and hard hitting with WMR.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/markII005fixedCustom.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Only One, Period!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!