Firing Pin Block on Auto Ord. 1911

PDA

War Squirrel
June 7, 2012, 07:26 PM
Is a firing pin block desirable on a carry gun or is it extraneous?

I was looking at an Auto Ordinance M1911a1, but I'm seeing mixed reviews. Any opinions on it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Firing Pin Block on Auto Ord. 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
June 7, 2012, 07:29 PM
As long as it times correctly, it's good to go. You'll never know it's there until you detail strip it. I prefer my carry pistols not have them because Murphy made me his personal project.

War Squirrel
June 7, 2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks Tuner. It'd probably be better to just follow the K.I.S.S principle and go without it. Besides, I can get a Rock Island for way cheaper than the Auto Ordinance and put the arched MSH on myself.

1911Tuner
June 7, 2012, 08:03 PM
Well...There's the matter of removing or disabling a designed-in safety device. It could be used to show reckless disregard. I wouldn't do it. Not on a carry gun anyway.

coalman
June 9, 2012, 01:13 AM
Many 1911s w/ a FPB run fine. I prefer them without.

The Lone Haranguer
June 9, 2012, 03:51 AM
The original design is highly resistant to an impact discharge, if you don't let the firing pin spring turn to mush. It would have to impact directly "nose first" from a fairly considerable height. Falling from your hand to the floor isn't going to do it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Firing Pin Block on Auto Ord. 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!