Would You Carry At A Funeral?

PDA

Hypnogator
June 7, 2012, 10:15 PM
Why not?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/justice/georgia-funeral-shooting/index.html?eref=igoogledmn_topstories

Concealed is concealed. I really don't care what people around me would think if they knew I am carrying, because they won't know, unless something like this happens. If it does, I especially don't care what they think.

Carrying a concealed weapon is becoming more socially acceptable, yet there are those who say that a church, funeral, (insert your favorite "holy" place here), etc., but neither social customs nor the law will stop somebody bent on doing violence. I really hope that one of the attendees got the shooter, but the first report is unclear....

If you enjoyed reading about "Would You Carry At A Funeral?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
June 7, 2012, 10:18 PM
I carried at funerals before, and will do so again when I am so unfortunate as to have to attend others.
I think there is a WHOLE lot more to that story than reported in that little blurb.

Rail Driver
June 7, 2012, 10:21 PM
Yes. I have. No different than any other place.

kb58
June 7, 2012, 10:21 PM
Why even ask, either you're okay with it or you aren't? People carry at church which seems roughly the same.

FourTeeFive
June 7, 2012, 10:25 PM
I would. Carry is carry.

However, I don't think most people on this board have to worry about similar circumstances to this event.

Retaliation:

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/chaos-death-after-dekalb-1454103.html

Authorities said Ventress, 28, shot Guider, who died May 27, as retaliation Law enforcement sources told investigators that Guider “burglarized the home of Ventress, stealing jewelry, cash and drugs and punching Ventress’ mother,” Sergeant Adrion Bell with the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office said. Police said Ventress also is accused of shooting into shot into an apartment in the 5800 block of Treecrest Parkway, thinking Guider lived there.

jeepnik
June 7, 2012, 10:49 PM
Have done so way too many times.

Loosedhorse
June 7, 2012, 10:51 PM
Yes. But I would not shoot the honoree.

Lex Luthier
June 7, 2012, 10:52 PM
Gangbangers. Not surprised.

foghornl
June 7, 2012, 10:55 PM
Yes, and at church, too.

I haven't been able to locate the story, but I remember several years back, a few thugs held up the congregation at the St. Stevens A.M.E. Church in Toldeo, OH. I think it was around 2006 or 2007

Johannes_Paulsen
June 7, 2012, 11:05 PM
"You don't have to carry every day. You just have to carry the days you're going to be in a gunfight." -Randy Cain

Inebriated
June 7, 2012, 11:10 PM
Yes... lots of emotions going on. If I felt that I'd be unstable, I wouldn't.

PT92
June 7, 2012, 11:15 PM
You kidding? I will be carrying at my own ;).

-Cheers

Sam1911
June 7, 2012, 11:16 PM
Absolutely. I haven't, but I would.

No different from other places I've carried...

Universities, police stations, doctors' offices, roller coaster, parks, churches, bars, parades, museums, emergency rooms, client meetings, ambulances, zoos, etc., etc.

Carrying a gun doesn't change what I do or who I am. Only how prepared I am to deal with danger if it comes.

Deltaboy
June 7, 2012, 11:23 PM
Why not?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/justice/georgia-funeral-shooting/index.html?eref=igoogledmn_topstories

Concealed is concealed. I really don't care what people around me would think if they knew I am carrying, because they won't know, unless something like this happens. If it does, I especially don't care what they think.

Carrying a concealed weapon is becoming more socially acceptable, yet there are those who say that a church, funeral, (insert your favorite "holy" place here), etc., but neither social customs nor the law will stop somebody bent on doing violence. I really hope that one of the attendees got the shooter, but the first report is unclear....
Yes I have carryed at these events. Some burial places are in bad neighborhoods.

303tom
June 7, 2012, 11:26 PM
Yes, I have................

JEB
June 7, 2012, 11:33 PM
You kidding? I will be carrying at my own

HA!!! love it!!

and yes, i have and will continue to carry at funerals and every single other place that is not specifically forbidden by law.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 7, 2012, 11:37 PM
Why wouldn't one carry?
Does one carry to church?:o

cyberhick
June 7, 2012, 11:37 PM
I carry my G17, with 2 spares and Voyager XL and Leatherman Surge, everywhere and always. I carry to funerals, at church while playing in the band or teaching preschoolers etc, I carry everywhere unless I will see serious legal problems if caught. Concealed is concealed and if I want someone's opinion about it I will give it to them.

Jeremy

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Ben86
June 7, 2012, 11:43 PM
Yes, to help prevent one of my own.

orionengnr
June 7, 2012, 11:46 PM
Yep, including my own.
Just have to figure out which one, and see if the wife really has a sense of humor. :)

R.W.Dale
June 7, 2012, 11:46 PM
I recently attended a funeral and I checked my revolver in the car.

Somewhat out of a degree of respect for the dead itching in the back of my conscience but mainly out of the practicality of being in close direct contact with people (hugging ect) In my life there are other occasions where this kind of intimate contact negates my ability to remain concealed.

I've made the decision to not to mix firearms and these occasions. One day I may regret that decision but for now its the best solution for me.

Flintknapper
June 7, 2012, 11:51 PM
Darn Right!

Have done so several times and will continue to do so. Why wouldn't you?

Church carry as well.

tangomike706
June 7, 2012, 11:51 PM
I carry everywhere it's lawful to do so, a church or a funeral is no different in my eyes, terrible things can happen anywhere you go, and I opt to be as prepared as practical.

Claude Clay
June 8, 2012, 12:13 AM
i have

and relatives ask me to attend with them cause many of the locations are OK for the dead but not so much those visiting.

asia331
June 8, 2012, 01:32 AM
Of course, why wouldn't I?

Striker
June 8, 2012, 10:12 AM
Yes, will do so today in fact.

mattmann
June 8, 2012, 10:18 AM
Yes

Sent from my DROID RAZR

todd128
June 8, 2012, 10:21 AM
yes, you never know about zombies

watergun
June 8, 2012, 10:22 AM
Bad guys are everywhere. Exercise your constitutional rights and carry EVERYWHERE!

HOOfan_1
June 8, 2012, 10:25 AM
I too carry where ever legal concealed. I don't go to a gangbangers funeral either.

Yup, I don't see where a funeral is any different from any other situation and yes, the link in the OP was to gang-related violence. I don't think shootings at funerals for gang members is that rare at all.

crazyjennyblack
June 8, 2012, 10:37 AM
I suppose I would. I'm a bit younger, so I haven't had the opportunity yet. I have, however, carried at weddings....

RatDrall
June 8, 2012, 11:01 AM
People shot at the funeral of a 19 year old murder victim....

Ever see the movie Colors, where the gang members shot up a funeral of a rival gangmember who they'd killed?

Skribs
June 8, 2012, 11:22 AM
All of the comments made me more sad than the article. People saying things like "why do people pack at a funeral? No respect" or "its a bunch of gangbangers at the funeral, cuz they have guns, so they deserved to be shot."

I guess people really don't understand RKBA or the right to defend oneself. They're painting the funeral attendees as lowlife scum.

HOOfan_1
June 8, 2012, 11:41 AM
or "its a bunch of gangbangers at the funeral, cuz they have guns, so they deserved to be shot."

Many people involved with the event have said themselves that it was likely gang violence.

http://www.championnewspaper.com/news/articles/1783shots-ring-out-at-stone-mountain-funeral-service-two-confirmed-dead1783.html

Another witness, Craig Sharpe of Decatur, who identified himself as a friend of the Guider family, said just as the service had ended a fist fight had broken out. “There were people rolling around on the ground”, said Sharpe. “Then the shooting started, people were running and falling down. Most ran back inside the church”

Sharpe said there were several people attending the funeral service who were wearing colored bandannas and that he suspects the killings were gang related

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/18730125/dekalb-funeral-shooting

Terry Davis said one of the deceased victims was his nephew, 19-year-old Carlos Henderson. Davis said he believed the shootings were gang-related

All in all I think we can find better justifications for carrying wherever we can than those outlined in that article.

MedWheeler
June 8, 2012, 12:04 PM
I would, and I have.

Ryanxia
June 8, 2012, 12:09 PM
I only carry when I'm expecting trouble... :D

Ya I carry 100% of the time.

IMTHDUKE
June 8, 2012, 12:42 PM
Depends on if the deceased was a Mafia boss, etc.

Kristensdaddy
June 8, 2012, 12:45 PM
Sadly, in Georgia it is illegal to carry in a church. Most funerals I have been to are in a church.

......not that it stopped these folks from doing it.

Chevelle SS
June 8, 2012, 01:29 PM
yes

MICHAEL T
June 8, 2012, 03:04 PM
Why not I have carried a weddings , Mine and another My sister wedding was well armed She married a cop and all on the groom side from best man on down were armed during wedding

tech30528
June 8, 2012, 03:14 PM
Out of respect for the occasion I would carry suppressed.

Vern Humphrey
June 8, 2012, 03:22 PM
If I could wake up in the morning knowing "I won't have a flat today" I'd leave my spare tire at home. If I knew at the beginning of the year, "I won't have a fire this year" I'd cancel my homeowners' insurance.

But I don't have that ability to forsee the future, so I carry the spare tire every day, pay my homeowners' insurance year in and year out, and carry my .45 everywhere.

IMTHDUKE
June 8, 2012, 03:25 PM
I carried at the last wedding I preformed. It was a second marriage and the X was nuttier than a fruit cake and had a history of violence. He had a restaining order on him, but the wedding was outside on the front yard. Can you say...drive by, boys and girls? I thought, how riduclous to get killed doing a wedding, at least I will return fire.:) Maybe:confused:

IMTHDUKE
June 8, 2012, 03:30 PM
Out of respect for the occasion I would carry suppressed.

Tech30528...now that is funny:neener:

But that leaves me a bit short on caliber

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/Suppressed.jpg

ErikO
June 8, 2012, 03:36 PM
I've only been a pall bearer in IL so not so far.

gpr
June 8, 2012, 03:53 PM
yes....more than once...

tech30528
June 8, 2012, 03:58 PM
Tech30528...now that is funny:neener:

But that leaves me a bit short on caliber

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/Suppressed.jpg
Well, with that rig your shot placement should be outstanding, so I think you'd be fine.

Skribs
June 8, 2012, 04:00 PM
I have carried a weddings , Mine and another My sister wedding was well armed She married a cop and all on the groom side from best man on down were armed during wedding

Reminds me of a clip on Americas Funniest Home Videos. It was a wedding, and the pastor says "if anyone has any reason why these two should not be wed..." A man stands up and yells "no, don't do it!" So the best man pulls a gun, points it at him, and fires (assuming it was blanks, otherwise it wouldn't be on AFV). He falls over, and the pastor asks "anyone else?"

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 8, 2012, 04:04 PM
I carry inside my home, I pretty much carry any and all times it is allowed. So yeah, a funeral, I'd have a pistol on me.

Tom Fury
June 8, 2012, 04:41 PM
...I'd carry at a wedding, too...
Cheers, TF

bearman49709
June 8, 2012, 05:30 PM
I carried at my mothers funeral back in Feb.

pat701
June 8, 2012, 07:55 PM
Leave it in your car unless you are a LEO.

johnnyappleseed
June 8, 2012, 08:00 PM
depends on who's funeral it is

Vern Humphrey
June 8, 2012, 08:03 PM
That's a good way to get it stolen.

splattergun
June 8, 2012, 08:32 PM
Last fall my grand-nephew died of a gunshot to the head. The police determined it was self-inflicted. The kid was involved with a gang, so who can be certain.

When I attended his funeral I left my carry in the car out of respect for his family and the manner of his death. It turns out I need not have been so considerate. The graveside "service" was little more than euology to a "perfect soldier", with one set of colors on one side and another set of colors to the other side. Then I noticed 3 punks carrying not-so-well concealed. I grabbed my daughter and vamoosed.

At the parking lot I saw 2 unmarked police cars. Looking around I found the plain-clothesmen taking pics of the funeral and the cars in the lot. I told the one in the lot what I had seen, but he just pretended to be doing something else. Fortunately, nothing happened there.

MedWheeler
June 8, 2012, 09:09 PM

Care to expand on this? Do you not carry at all?
Oh, wait, I see you're in Chicago... where you cannot even "leave it in your car." Sorry.

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
June 8, 2012, 09:41 PM
Yes I would ! i carried at a wedding this past weekend ! If I knew when I was going to need it I would only carry then , but i never know when that will be ! Kevin

safebustr
June 8, 2012, 09:48 PM
Not legal in NC, stupid law....

HOOfan_1
June 8, 2012, 10:33 PM

If a LEO isn't going to leave his in the car...I am not leaving mine in the car.

elrowe
June 8, 2012, 10:51 PM
Not since Wednesday...

Church, not since Sunday... Here's why: http://articles.cnn.com/2009-03-08/justice/church.shooting_1_trent-pastor-gunman?_s=PM:CRIME

A friend of mine was there and unarmed thanks to IL's anti-gun paranoia.

sixgunner455
June 8, 2012, 11:01 PM
Have, would, will. And, close contact with other mourners? This is what pocket guns are for.

abq87120
June 8, 2012, 11:16 PM
I carry everywhere, every time.

Deltaboy
June 8, 2012, 11:20 PM
Why wouldn't one carry?
Does one carry to church?:o
Every Sunday wither I am preaching or not.

thefamcnaj
June 8, 2012, 11:31 PM
Yes I would, and did so recently at my grandmothers funeral. In todays world there is: no place, no event, no holy place, no nothing that's off limits to a bad guy.

bikerdoc
June 9, 2012, 09:23 AM
Yes.

sgtstryker
June 9, 2012, 11:07 AM
I have and I will continue to ccw at funerals. To each his own in this matter. I feel like anytime there are alot of emotions flowing and alot of folks are brought together, for any reason, anything can happen. JMO..

RBid
June 9, 2012, 11:40 AM
I carry everywhere, all of the time. This includes services, work, running errands, home, kids' birthday parties, etc.

Two reasons:
1. You never know when violence will intrude on even the most peaceful settings
2. It's not a big deal. Only my family knows, and they are completely used to it.

ApacheCoTodd
June 9, 2012, 11:13 PM
Have, do and will.

hogdoc357
June 10, 2012, 12:56 AM
Not legal to carry in a church here in GA (if that is where the funeral is held). However, just this week, 4 people were shot, 2 died in the parking lot of a church after a funeral. All gang type related retaliation. The law abiding citizens cannot carry in church but the law does not stop the BG from carrying in church.

Salty1
June 10, 2012, 12:58 AM
AS the OP mentioned "concealed is concealed", as a member of the Patriot Guard Riders I seem to attend many funerals, I see no reason to disarm or change my normal routine. Carrying is not lack of respect and the reason we attend funerals is to thank the deceased for their friendship and sacrifice, what we wear or how we dress has no bearing on the heart felt sorrow we are experiencing.Weather I am wearing leathers or a suit, it is what is in the heart and soul that truly counts...............

GaryM
June 10, 2012, 01:07 AM
Yes I would and yes I have.

stantheman1976
June 10, 2012, 01:51 AM
Unfortunately I can't carry at work and I like and value my job too much to risk losing it. Other that I am armed any time I walk out my front door.

TennJed
June 10, 2012, 02:14 AM
Yes... lots of emotions going on. If I felt that I'd be unstable, I wouldn't.
I would, but you do bring up a good point. If it was a tragic death of my wife, child, brother, ect. I would have to take a serious look at my emotions.

My mother in law passed 2 months ago when a tree fell on her in a storm. She was on her fifties and it was very unexpected. It was a blur of a week surrounding the death and funeral. It is hard to predict what grief will do to your emotions.

grasssnake
June 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
I plan on carrying at my own funeral.

redbeardsong
June 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
Not legal to carry in a church here in GA (if that is where the funeral is held). However, just this week, 4 people were shot, 2 died in the parking lot of a church after a funeral. All gang type related retaliation. The law abiding citizens cannot carry in church but the law does not stop the BG from carrying in church.

Read threads before posting much?

Ala Dan
June 10, 2012, 07:24 PM
YES

In order to protect myself, as well as the deceased wishes. No telling who may
show up at a burial site; and here in central Alabama, some are not in such nice
'hoods~! :uhoh: ;)

smallbore
June 10, 2012, 07:41 PM
Yes.

rugerman
June 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
Always have, always will!

Jeff F
June 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
I have in the past and I will in the future

Bubbles
June 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
BTDT. I've also carried at weddings, including my own.

Sgt_R
June 11, 2012, 03:41 AM
I'd carry at my own funeral if I thought I could get away with it.

R

JPG19
June 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
I'm surprised by the number of people who don't carry because of intimate contact with others. I simply turn my carrying side away from whomever I'm hugging and haven't had any problems. Especially not if I'm wearing a suit, all James Bond style.

Carter
June 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
I would, but my state prevents it.

buckeye8
June 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Emotional people, old grievances, potential tension about who is inheriting what... I see no reason to attend a funeral defenseless.

Ben86
June 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
I'd be offended if people thought they couldn't carry at my funeral. Heck, make it an open carry funeral, with jazz music. ;) I prefer happy Buddhist type funerals. But, that's a different subject.

JimStC
June 12, 2012, 05:49 PM
Absolutely, as I do anywhere else. What is the difference??

speedway
June 12, 2012, 08:10 PM
I bought a pistol on the way to a wake. I did not want to leave it in my car, so I left the 32 ortgies in my front pocket. No one noticed.

Millwright
June 12, 2012, 08:19 PM
Guess it all comes around to who[s being buried.......A local cop was buried recently and all his honor guard were visibly armed. Don't know how many were "undercover" at the same event. >MW

LeonCarr
July 15, 2012, 12:17 PM
Yep

Just my .02,
LeonCar

Roadking Rider
July 15, 2012, 12:45 PM
Yes weddings and funerals. That's why I have the Kel Tec P3at. It's the gun I carry when I need to deep conceal carry.

JohnBT
July 15, 2012, 05:09 PM
I thought about putting a Python in my father's casket last August. I only thought about it for a minute though. :) Then I thought about his S&W 649, but I figure if he wasn't going to get his favorite gun I might as well skip it altogether.

Yes, I was armed. A least a few people were. For all I know the former sheriff's widow was.

John

bpsig
July 16, 2012, 02:21 AM
YES
Funerals, Weddings, grocery shopping, etc.
Wallmart or china world late at night.
Stupid ideas that can get me killed shall be ignored.
As I told a very educated person with the p.c. disease. No I will not unload and put up my m4 /203 when delivering items from the nice location up the road in Tn.

ghitch75
July 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
last funeral i went to i OC'D a 1911.....if the tables where turn he would have OC'D at mine.....

fallout mike
July 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
In Mississippi carrying in a church is illegal unless you have permission from the pastor or board members. My pastor carried everywhere and is all for anyone else carrying.

HoosierQ
July 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
I have. Why not? Your biggest issue is going to be the sympathy hug. If you're a close member of the deceased's family, people are gonna be hugging you...whether you like it or not. Enough hugging, and somebody's gonna grab it. So when my mom passes away, which sadly won't be too awful long, I will not carry the thing just to avoid the hassle. Short of that, I'd carry if other circumstances didn't prevent me from doing so...and what those'd be, I'm not sure.

JagerRanger
July 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
I carry 24/7.

mod700
July 17, 2012, 01:33 AM
Yes, and with Hornady Zombie Max ammo......just in case :uhoh:

gym
July 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
Im sure the host won't mind.

Jonah71
July 17, 2012, 12:14 PM
I carry in church even if I'm preaching and at funerals. And in this church, I'm not the only one that carries. A few of the ladies in our congregation carry concealed. It's completely acceptable in this community. But I really can't say for sure that it's part of the reason our crime rate is so low.

XD 45acp
July 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Wife's worthless cousin got killed in drug deal gone bad. I packed at his because all the shady characters there. I just went to lookout for my wife, as far as the deceased, he got what he deserved.

gym
July 17, 2012, 03:31 PM
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition.

RevDerb
July 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
Ummm ... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Would You Carry At A Funeral?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!