1911 Magazines

PDA

cherzog
June 9, 2012, 12:56 PM
Since I just picked up a stainless Mil Spec Springfield 1911 I'm interested in getting some extra magazines. I'm looking for suggestions. I see that the factory mags are available at Bud's under $14 where they have the Mccormick match grade for $22 of Powermag for $23. What do you guys like? Thanks for any and all advice!

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chevelle SS
June 9, 2012, 01:07 PM
I use Kimber magazines myself, but Wilson Combat mags are probably the best although I haven't bought any yet.

dusty14u
June 9, 2012, 01:15 PM
I prefer the McCormick Shooting Star mags for my 1911's. They have worked well and fed reliably. I would highly recommend them.

9mmepiphany
June 9, 2012, 01:26 PM
For a peerless 7 round magazine, I'd highly recommend the Metalform magazines with the round top follower.

The 8 round choices are a bit more convoluted. I think the best would be the Tripp follower installed in a McCormick PowerMag body...but that would be pricey.

I've settled on the McCommick PowerMag for my use...I haven't found the Tripp CobraMag worth the difference in price.

If you decide to go with Wilson, I'd highly recommend you go with the newer ETM over the older 47D. The two that I am testing have been much more consistent in function

Skylerbone
June 9, 2012, 02:10 PM
Unless you find a blow-out deal try one before committing to a particular brand. If the OEM mags work for you I believe they're on sale at SA's site for 30% off. It never hurts to try as many as possible, excepting obvious junk, to test the functional range of your particular pistol. It's beneficial to label them and add a page in your log book to keep track of rounds and failures.

CM Powermags, Tripp Cobra mags, Colt 7-round and Metalform are all popular choices and a good bunch to start with.

Swing
June 9, 2012, 02:13 PM
I've always had good results with McCormick's mags.

TonyT
June 9, 2012, 02:21 PM
I use the Metalform magazines which I purchase from CDNN - inexpensive and reliable.

mjsdwash
June 9, 2012, 02:36 PM
cmc G.I. mags, ive only seen them at topgunsupply, and they have them in stock now. 18.95, well worth it, there the only GI profile mags i can find new.

surjimmy
June 9, 2012, 04:33 PM
Wilson's

wrench
June 9, 2012, 08:54 PM
I have quite a few of the Chip McCormick shooting stars, and they work great, no problems.
A few months ago I picked up a few Metalforms, and so far no issues with those, either.

bikerdoc
June 9, 2012, 09:22 PM
I got of Kimber mags and I like them.

Check out www.the-armory.com

joecil
June 9, 2012, 09:44 PM
I had a Springfield Loaded and got one 7 round mag with it. I went out and bought a bunch that had at least 2 and some 3 of every mag listed. They all worked fine in the Springfield however the McCormack and Kimber where in my opinion the best of the bunch.

Vern Humphrey
June 9, 2012, 09:49 PM
I have a shipload of McCormick Shooting Star mags and none have ever failed me.

Walkalong
June 9, 2012, 09:56 PM
Check-Mate.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-7rd-ss-gi-full-size-1911-magazine.html

http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-8rd-ss-hybrid-removable-base-full-size-1911-magazine.html

http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-8rd-ss-hybrid-removable-base-full-size-1911-magazine.html

JTQ
June 10, 2012, 12:08 AM
mjsdwash wrote,
cmc G.I. mags, ive only seen them at topgunsupply, and they have them in stock now. 18.95, well worth it, there the only GI profile mags i can find new.
I think the CMC mags you listed may be a typo. CMC or Chip McCormick doesn't make a GI mag. It is possible you meant CheckMate Industries, which would be CMI. They do make a mag that is available from Top Gun Supply as linked by Walkalong.

Fremmer
June 10, 2012, 12:13 AM
The mccormick shooting stars and the powermags both work well.

cfullgraf
June 10, 2012, 12:33 AM
For 230 RN bullets, just about anything has worked in my M1911s.

Other bullets not so reliable. There are different lip and follower profiles that perform better with different shaped bullets.

Alot of my M1911 magazine experimenting has been finding a combination that works well with 38/45 Clerke. The ones that don't work well in the 38/45 Clerke get roled over to the standard 45 ACP M1911s.

I have had good luck with Check Mate, Wilson, and McCormick in the 45 ACP guns.

Vonderek
June 10, 2012, 12:54 AM
I have had flawless performance from Mec-Gar 1911 mags. And they are inexpensive.

nathan
June 10, 2012, 01:11 AM
I got one of those Colt stainless mags from Midway usa as they were on sale. Really quality stuff. But if you want the best i thnk the Wilson Combat cannot be beat. Form and function is tops.

RH45
June 10, 2012, 06:05 AM
It really depends on what you are going to use the gun for.

If it is just going to be a range gun, Chip McCormicks work great, but, are a PITA to clean.

If you plan to play any games with it like IDPA, or USPSA, where you will be dropping them in sand, mud, ect. The Tripp Cobra mags are the easiest to clean, and, are good magazines, but, also about the most expensive. The Wilson ETMs are good, but not quite as easy to take apart for cleaning as the Tripps.

I've read on other forums that guys have been having issues with the Checkmates cracking, and the company not standing behind them.

Big Nugget
June 10, 2012, 12:01 PM
I have had flawless performance from Mec-Gar 1911 mags. And they are inexpensive.

I'm another here who like Mec-Gar. I use them in my SIG 1911, CZ SP-01 Phantom & Ruger MKIIs.

cherzog
June 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
Wow, lots of choices I hadn't even considered. Thanks for all the input. What is different between the Mccormick shooting star and powermag?

Walkalong
June 10, 2012, 02:00 PM
The power mag has a stronger body and stronger spring as far as I can tell. Perhaps there are more differences. I have both and both have worked very well for me. I just think the Check-Mate with the dimpled follower (Either Flat (http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-7rd-ss-hybrid-bumper-pads-full-size-1911-magazine.html) or C-M skirted (http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-8rd-ss-hybrid-removable-base-full-size-1911-magazine.html)) with GI or Hybrid feed lips is an outstanding mag, so I recommend them. (The flat follower looks like the Chip McCormick design, and it is a good one, but are said to be able to sometimes go forward and ding aluminum frame ramps.)(I prefer the Check-Mate skirted follower. It cannot go forward and hit the frame, and seems to resist letting the round tilt down a bit better.)

June 10, 2012, 02:18 PM
I use Kimber (4), Wilson Combat ETM (10), Ed Brown (3) and CHECK-MATE magazines (4) and they all work very well. I've changed out the plastic followers and springs from 2/10 WC ETMs and replaced them with dimpled CHECK-MATE followers and springs to see if they work well ... they work GREAT. The one downside of the ETM magazines is that dust and grit get stuck between the plastic follower and magazine tube which can cause problems if you shoot USPSA matches. If you're regularly dropping your mags into the dust/dirt you will be better served with steel followers since they won't drag in the mag tube the way plastic followers do/can.

Does CM = Chip McCormick and C-M = CHECK-MATE? I've seen people recommend CM mags and have wondered if they mean Chip McCormick.

9mmepiphany
June 10, 2012, 03:00 PM
The magazines that come with Ed Brown guns are made by Metalform

Walkalong
June 10, 2012, 04:09 PM
C-M = CHECK-MATE? That's what I get for using abbreviations. :o

Fixed it. :)

JTQ
June 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
Walkalong wrote,
(The flat follower looks like the Chip McCormick design, and it is a good one, but are said to be able to sometimes go forward and ding aluminum frame ramps.)(I prefer the Check-Mate skirted follower.
CheckMate's flat follower is the standard GI follower. It is not like the Devel follower used by McCormick. To the best of my knowledge, the GI follower doesn't have a reputation for tipping out of the mag tube. The Devel follower does have that reputation, though. McCormick developed the PowerMag + follower to address the tipping/gouging issue.

I only have a small experience with the CheckMate "skirted" follower, but it does seem like a good design. This follower is similar to the Devel follower, in the way it is folded, but adds the skirt at the front. I would have thought McCormick would have gone this route rather than the PowerMag + design which doesn't seem like a big improvement to me.

Another advantage the PowerMags have over the Shooting Stars is the PowerMag tube is just slightly longer than the Shooting Stars. This is an advantage when you are putting 8 rounds in a tube length really designed for 7 rounds.

Cherokee
June 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Wilson Combat ETM 8-rd mags. That is all I use now and have been 100% in all my 1911's.

jbkebert
June 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
At the last gun show in Topeka a Kimber dealer had a table. He was selling NIB stainless 8 round kimber mags for $19.50 each. I bought 6 at that price and all have worked great. The last time I had purchased mags i bought three Wilson's 47D at like $38 each. Good mags but not worth twice the coin of kimber mags.

Bullnettles
June 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Another vote for Chip McCormick.

AC1911
June 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
My vote is for the CheckMate 7rd hybrid lip with CMF (checkmate follower).

AJumbo
June 10, 2012, 09:07 PM
Checkmate 7-rd, GI or Checkmate follower, extra-power springs, hybrid lips. Mine run flawlessly in my RIA, and in every other 1911 I've tried them in.

rxspeed88
June 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
mccormicks have always worked for me.

JTQ
June 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
For those new to the 1911, this blog post from the late Mr. Camp is worth reading.

http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-is-best-7-or-8-shot-1911-45-acp.html

For a different opinion, here is Hilton Yam's take on 1911 magazines.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-Magazines.html

Lonerider357
June 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
McCormick or MecGar

Dr.Rob
June 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
Chip McCormick Shooting star 8 rds or Colt factory. My Colts are finicky about magazines.

foghornl
June 12, 2012, 08:49 PM
USGI magazines

tuj
June 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
Tripp Research. They are making some outstanding mags.

gunnutter
June 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
IMHO.....

1) Wilson
2) Mccormick

Sky
June 13, 2012, 06:58 PM

I'm another here who like Mec-Gar. I use them in my SIG 1911, CZ SP-01 Phantom & Ruger MKIIs.

Yep I use them when possible with never a problem

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!