what to do in louisville

PDA

Morlock
February 20, 2004, 12:37 PM
My brother's headed down there with his SO to watch her brother's graduation (army basic??) at Ft knox. since he's a burgeoning geardo and a former fence sitter that's seen the light, i recommended he check out brigade quartermasters, the patton museum, and maybe check out mecca (knob creek :D :D ). OTOH his girlfriend is your average manhattan lib (but we're working on her....) is prolly gonna want to do something else. does anyone have any suggestions to keep her mollified so he can go to the creek and patton ?? Any recommendations for restaurants in louisville would be 'preciated.....

thanks
morlock

If you enjoyed reading about "what to do in louisville" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TerryBob
February 20, 2004, 02:01 PM
Manhattan lib huh? Well......Louisville has all of your chain resturants. We have some large malls with a lot of chain stores. She can try the J.B. Speed Art Museum. The have a nice collection of Masters paintings that could keep a lib busy for a while. Louisville has some nice galleries. Hmmmmm....more lib stuff.....let's see......She can strol down Baxter Avenue. There are all kinds of shops and freaks that goes with them (purple hair kind of stuff).

Where are they staying? What does she normally like to do? That would help some. I'm just trying to help free your brother up some.

TerryBob

son of a gun
February 20, 2004, 02:22 PM
If you like urban expeditions (professional trespassing)

http://z28ron.tripod.com/waverlyhills2004/id6.html

if not this is legal
Mammoth Cave largest cave in the world 310 miles long
Mammoth Cave National Park

Brief description:
Mammoth Cave National Park, located in the state of Kentucky, has the world's largest network of natural caves and underground passageways, which are characteristic examples of limestone formations. The park and its underground network of more than 560 surveyed km of passageways are home to a varied flora and fauna, including a number of endangered species.

http://www.mammoth.cave.national-park.com

http://whc.unesco.org/sites/150.htm

http://www.margaretriver.com/images/mammoth.jpg

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/np-hardwoods/maca0479.jpeg

Spark
February 20, 2004, 02:37 PM
You could come by the shop and pick up a good graduation present... :D

TerryBob
February 20, 2004, 03:04 PM
You could come by the shop and pick up a good graduation present...

What shop would that be?

If you like urban expeditions (professional trespassing)

Waverly Hills is a very interesting place indeed. I live just a few minutes from it. Security is pretty tight these days and I would not advise it. I got a mini tour there a couple of years ago. Some say (myself included) that it is the most haunted place in the U.S. My Great Grandfather died up there back in 1943 and my Great Grandmother (his wife) died there in 1963.

Your brother would probably like a quick trip to the U.S. Cavelry store in Radcliff (to get this back on topic). It does not have any guns but it does have a lot of kool knives, mil surpluse and lots of other neat things.

The Bardstown are has a lot of bourban distilerys to tour. Try Makers Mark and Jim Beam. I think that you can try free samples. Just keep geting back in line if they will let you....:D

TerryBob

son of a gun
February 20, 2004, 03:14 PM
TerryBob
Waverly Hills is a very interesting place indeed.

Records have been lost, but it is estimated that tens of thousands died at Waverly. At the height of the tuberculosis epidemic, it is reported that one patient an hour died.
:(

Hutch
February 20, 2004, 03:34 PM
L'il Biff's (I am not kidding) Gun Shop on Old Dixie Hwy (north of Knob Creek) is a great place to kick tires and browse.

Spark
February 20, 2004, 04:08 PM
What shop would that be?

Sorry, I forgot I don't pimp the store everywhere. http://www.1sks.com

Louisville's biggest little ol' knife store. We may not be much to look at, but we don't rape you for gear.

DCR
February 20, 2004, 04:40 PM
We only did the touristy things there last fall - Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger factory/museum tour, etc.

Good blues bar - Stevie Ray's
Galt House Hotel - good bourbon bar (150 types) and revolving restaurant

Wanted to go to the glass factory downtown - they do tours.

Took a Ghost tour - this one was not good; New Orleans is much better.

Shopping downtown sucks; send her elsewhere.

We had a good cabbie who took us all around some of the cool old neighborhoods; beautiful homes and yards.

What's she into?

Vasilia Zhietzev
February 20, 2004, 05:07 PM
LOL...Knob Creek is within a 45 minute drive! Restaurants i tried and recommended:

*Bonefish ( seafood upscale bistro - a chain effort that owns Smoky Bones also.)

*Smile of Siam (Thai - over in Frankfort, KY, actually. Good. Very good.)

VZ

yesterdaysyouth
February 20, 2004, 06:46 PM
if you're there this weekend caspers' is at the fairgrounds, i'll be there tommorow....

gotta see sable... ummm... i mean the choppers and cars and stuff...:D

4v50 Gary
February 20, 2004, 07:25 PM
In May, the Frazier Arms Museum will open.

I think May-June Conner Prairie Museum in Fishers, IN (a couple of hours north) will have the Arms of the Masters exhibit (highly engraved, inletted and relief carved flintlocks & percussion guns by modern master gunsmiths). The museum at the racetrack is suppose to have an exhibit on the Chinese war horse. I've yet to see that.

Check out the local freebie newspaper, The Snitch. It's about crime in the area and reports all the stupid things crooks did before they're caught. :D

GLOCKT
February 20, 2004, 11:04 PM
North of Louisville in Indiana is Kieslers.
www.kieslersonline.com
A good store from what I've heard.Nice website also.

BluesBear
February 21, 2004, 09:08 AM
The Louisville Slugger Museum is a MUST.

If you're downtown, go to 3rd and Oak and get a genuine Ollie Burger.

I second Stevie Ray's (Mine was the very first band to ever play there.)
You can also probably find some music you like at Coyote's

Little Biff's has to be seen to be believed.

Sox
February 21, 2004, 05:46 PM
Man, I miss my home. Try lynn's paradise cafe for breakfast on baxter ave., mazonni's oysters on taylorsiville road/bardstown rd, Jack Frys on bardstown/baxter. Walk around on bardstown road lots of little ecletic shops/eateries. The same up in crescent hill.:)

Spark
February 21, 2004, 05:52 PM
Or, if you aren't a fancy-pant's style meal person ;) you can walk from Skyline to Carmichael's bookstore and Heine Brother's coffee after a show at the Comedy Zone. I love living on Bardstown Road, despite the hippy infestation.

powertoast
February 21, 2004, 10:20 PM
<If you like urban expeditions (professional trespassing)

http://z28ron.tripod.com/waverlyhills2004/id6.html>

Thanks for the info. I grew up in Valley Station, and have a faint recollection of visiting Waverly Hills with a school group to sing to the old folks there. In the late '70s you could drive right up to the place, which had been abandoned. I recall driving my dad's Galaxy 500 at breakneck speed from one end to the other.

cheers

powertoast
February 21, 2004, 10:36 PM
[double post]

garrettwc
February 22, 2004, 08:37 AM
In Lou' avull (you gotta say it that way if you don't want to sound like a tourist) dining out is like a second profession for most folks.

There are lots of great restaurants. Bardstown Rd area known as the Highlands to the locals will have a lot of the little eccletic places. Frankfort Avenue is good also. If she's a typical Manhattan type, that area will remind her of Greenwich Village. If she's into wine, there's a great restaurant in the Dupont Area that has a wine theme. Lots of different types and vintages to have with dinner. The name of the place escapes me at the moment, but maybe someone else will chime in.

Kielsler's is a great place to walk around and browse for guns and such. They have a little bit of everything.

Spark, I knew you guys had moved to town, but didn't know you had a storefront. Where are you at? I'd like to pop in.

BluesBear
February 22, 2004, 04:55 PM
Don't forget to go to Kaelin's.

It's the very first restraunt to serve a Cheeseburger.

As they say there, "If you can't stop in, at least wave."

high_caliber
February 22, 2004, 07:48 PM
Tour the American Printing House for the Blind, and visit their museum.
1839 Frankfort Ave.
502-895-2405

If you enjoyed reading about "what to do in louisville" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!