how often do you clean your weapons?

PDA

gpwelding1
June 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
i was just curious as to everyone elses routines.
myself,i clean mine after every sesion at the range of course.
but,i also get all of mine out,handguns and long guns about every 3 or 4 weeks and lubricate them all.as well as wipe them all down with a light coating of oil.

If you enjoyed reading about "how often do you clean your weapons?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
June 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
Safe queens get cleaned up after everyone of their somewhat rare outings. Range favorites get cleaned pretty much only when I start having issues, otherwise its just a patch of Hoppes, a bore snake, a few drops of oil on the moving parts and a wipe down to be ready for the next outing.

joecil
June 10, 2012, 04:34 PM
Well I have no safe queens and shoot every gun I own in a month. Now I clean after ever trip to the range or fired. Now on the chance I don't fire a gun in a month I will clean it and lube. But then I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to a tool that my life might depend on.

sigarms228
June 10, 2012, 04:34 PM
After shooting one of mine I clean and lube it if I don't expect to shoot it again for a while.

My regular range pistols such as my SIG P226 and Walther PPQ get cleaned maybe every three months which means after about three range trips. I do however put a fresh coat of lube on the frame rails and barrel of my P226 if it looks like it needs it before any range session but usually does not need it since I lube it with Slide Glide grease.

Firearms that have not used in a year are taken out and inspected and the barrel bore and exterior metal are given a light coat of Breakfree CLP or Eezox depending on the firearm.

I live in a climate however where rust is not a problem any time of the year with my firearms that are all stored indoors.

shootniron
June 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
Safe queens get cleaned up after everyone of their somewhat rare outings. Range favorites get cleaned pretty much only when I start having issues, otherwise its just a patch of Hoppes, a bore snake, a few drops of oil on the moving parts and a wipe down to be ready for the next outing.

They don't get it until they need it...except for the gun that I am carrying at the time. However, I do wipe them down with CLP after a trip to the range.

Lothar
June 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
I try to rotate all my handguns at the range so that they all get cleaned and lubed regularly. I clean each of them after each range trip--usually after about 100 rounds. I wipe down the exteriors of all of them periodically (every several weeks), whether they've been used recently or not. The solvent that I use (PrOlix) is supposed to bond to the metal at a molecular level and resist corrosion, which I can believe, because every time any of it gets into my stainless steel kitchen sink, the steel seems to be impervious to water for a while.

Bernie Lomax
June 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
Though I live in a very dry climate (Arizona), the cooling system in my apartment complex makes the inside of my apartment insanely humid during the summer months. Dirty, unprotected metal will rust in short order. I clean and oil every time I shoot.

BYJO4
June 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
I prefer to clean my guns after every outing with them.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 10, 2012, 06:08 PM
Only if I am hunting or carrying and they somehow get perspiration on them or somehow end up wet. Otherwise, I can go a year or two, or three and not clean them. I don't shoot as often as I used to. In the past year, I may have shot 20 to 30 rounds out of a combination of about five guns. When I shoot the steel Russian Wolf ammo, I do clean my AR immediately after that, even though it says Non-corrosive, I don't trust them. Perhaps the primer is corrosive, I would rather not find out the hard way.

There was a time when I would break-down every single tiny part and go through the entire weapon after every shooting. I no longer do that, it seems I have other more important things to do around my house that need doing NOW than spend time cleaning my weapons. I do check them to be sure they are not rusting. If I see a speck of rust, I will go over the entire gun. That hardly ever happens, though. My guns are in a very dry house that is dry all summer with a dehumidifier running all summer in the basement and all kinds of hydronic heat eight months out of the year.

hentown
June 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
I think it's really important to keep firearms clean and ready-to-go; accordingly, I clean and lube my 1911s about every three hours and clean and lube my Glocks about every 10,000 rounds. :cool:

TimboKhan
June 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
Honestly, I clean them when they need to be cleaned, and that isn't necessarily after every time shooting them.

In some cases, such as with my 10/22, I can say that I have never cleaned it. Given that I shot it as recently as yesterday, and given that it still shoots exactly as accurate today as it did almost 30 years ago when I got it, I am not too concerned about it.

WIth other cases, such as with my Mosin, I have been known to drop a wet rag down the pipe before even leaving the range. Corrosive ammo, you see.

Otherwise, I just inspect them and clean them as necessary.

coolluke01
June 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
+1 on the 10-22. I cleaned mine for the first time in about 15 years. I'll be there have been 10,000 rounds through that thing.

I clean my carry gun (G26) if I shoot it at a match. My normal comp gun (G34) gets cleaned about once a summer. I will lube it a few more times than that. I shoot about 1500 - 2000 rounds in a summer.

MCgunner
June 10, 2012, 08:27 PM
If I fire one round in it, it gets cleaned, ESPECIALLY my carries. I clean them even if I haven't fired 'em, lube 'em up and make sure there's no pocket lint about every month if carried. Hey, I shoot black powder. I'm used to it and, besides, my carries and .22s are quite easy, even fun to clean compared to a Hawken or '58 remmy after a few rounds of holy black. :D I may be anal about cleaning my guns, but they'll work if I have to use 'em.

jmr40
June 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
When they get dirty.

I'll wipe off the exterior and use a brush and cloth to wipe out the action area on a regular basis, but a full blown cleaning is only as needed. Especially on centerfire hunting rifles. Most shoot much more accurately after 20-30 rounds are down the tube and don't start to lose accuracy until around 200-300 rounds. Once it is shooting good I don't mess with it.

My Glocks get cleaned about once per year. 1911's need it far more often or reliability starts to become an issue.

RBid
June 10, 2012, 10:12 PM
I only own 2 guns at the moment. I clean each of them after range visits, which means a minimum of 1/week. I let my PPQ go 600 rounds without cleaning or lube, and it ran fine. Still, I like doing everything I can to keep them going strong.

TarDevil
June 10, 2012, 10:29 PM
When I first got my Ruger I cleaned it every time I shot it...until I realized there wasn't much of anything to clean. I've got about 500 rounds through it since last cleaning. Probably will take it down this week sometime.

abq87120
June 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
Field strip my Glock after every outing. Complete do about once a year.

mljdeckard
June 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
I make a point to clean off whatever new guns have on them when they come from the factory.

I used to be super anal, and with some guns that are really intended for accuracy, I am much more disciplined, but for the guns I shoot the most, like the 10/22, the SKS, the .22 AR, the 1911 .22, the 870......I count the stuff I wipe out of the way when I modify them as cleaning.

My carry gun, every 2-300 rounds. I figure, if you can't trust it to run unless you clean it meticulously on a schedule, can you really trust it to run well when you really really need it?

C0untZer0
June 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
I can't put any gun away dirty, I just can't. I can't do it, I can't get to sleep knowing a gun is dirty.

I also clean my pistols BEFORE I go to the range. There's not a lot clean but I get peace of mind doing it.

I always want to make sure the striker channel is dry on my Glocks and that there is no gunk under the extractor, and even though I cleaned all that when I came back from the range I clean it again before I go to the range again.

I also like to clean my weapons on days that I can't go firing. And I like waxing them too.

I put a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax on the slide and I'm happy with it. It's got a nice hydrophobic coating on it :)

mljdeckard
June 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
^^You know you can get medication for that, right? :D

Sam1911
June 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
Comp & carry pistols/revolvers: ~500-1,000 rds, whether they need it or not.

Carbines/rifles that have seen corrosive ammo, same day they're shot.

Shotguns and hunting rifles, whenever they seem to "need" it, or if they've been out in foul weather.

I trust most of my guns to work appropriately THIS time, if they worked last time. If I've taken a gun down into pieces, I always like to go put some rounds through it to make sure all the bits and pieces went back together right, the springs are in the right way and seated well, no bits of cleaning cloth or brush bristles stuck some place that might cause it to hang up.

Inebriated
June 11, 2012, 12:00 AM
After each range trip... Could be an hour after, or three days after, but I don't let them sit long.

ku4hx
June 11, 2012, 07:47 AM
After every firing. Guns are like, well, your teeth ... you don't have to clean them after every use, but they'll last longer and work better if you do.

brnmuenchow
June 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
Corrosive ammo would be cleaned immediatly, as for just std. commercial grade ammo shootings "depending on the gun" sometimes I don't clean it until the day before I go shoot again. None of my guns have ever had an issue just as long as it was cleaned before I go shoot.

Inazone
June 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm not putting as many rounds through my guns on a regular basis as some folks here (200-400 rounds/month max) so unless I'm seeing symptoms of a blatantly dirty gun, my usual routine is to spray some Gun Scrubber through each one after a range visit, hang it upside-down overnight, and then give each a few drops of oil the next day. If it ends up being a long time before I make it back to the range, I just just a little more oil beforehand.

Havok7416
June 11, 2012, 09:50 AM
I usually clean mine after a range trip but I find they also get broken down a lot when I am explaining firearms to new shooters.

scaatylobo
June 11, 2012, 09:52 AM
I clean the target/plinking guns about once a year.

The carry guns get cleaned when I arrive home from range.

Just took apart a Ruger mark II that has not been cleaned properly in 10 years,was in very good shape and function was perfect with all ammo.Usually got a bore wipe and chamber wipe only.

ANY gun that could be a 'social gun' is cleaned asap.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 11, 2012, 09:55 AM
...... If I've taken a gun down into pieces, I always like to go put some rounds through it to make sure all the bits and pieces went back together right, the springs are in the right way and seated well, no bits of cleaning cloth or brush bristles stuck some place that might cause it to hang up.:)

Excellent!
I hadn't thought of that, but I see how it could be so easy to possibly miss just one little thing, and with a defense weapon, that would be the LAST THING I would want -- I never want to hear just 'click'! :banghead:

Sam1911
June 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
:) I liken it to taking your car in for new brakes (or an engine overhaul!), and then leaving on a 1,000 mile trip straight from the repair shop. Might be a little more comfortable if I've run it around town for a day or so to make sure everything's working just right before I put life-and-death trust in it.

Modern ammunition doesn't do anything to a gun that really requires them to be cleaned right away (or even for years, generally), under normal circumstances.

italy4nra
June 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
I run a quick bore cleaning patch, oil, and wipe rag once through the bore for each gun, at the range, after I have finished with it. Just in case ther
I clean when the mag well or action looks dirty, or when I get guilty, or just want to spend spend some quality time with the objects.
Unused (rare) get oiled lightly every 2 months or so, but not disassembled and cleaned.

mgmorden
June 11, 2012, 11:15 AM
If they show any rust they'll be cleaned. If I hunt with a gun in the rain I'll dry and clean it as preventative maintenance. The cap'n ball revolver gets cleaned whenever its shot.

For the rest of them, they get cleaned every 700-800 rounds, or if they experience any malfunction that I believe is related to being dirty. Only a few get shot often enough to warrant those types of cleanings (basically a few handguns).

In general I think there's far too much made over gun cleaning. Yes they do occasionally need it, but the thought that every time they come out of the safe you need to clean them is mostly an outdated relic left over from the days of blackpowder and corrosive primers. If you're not shooting those things these days, then it doesn't warrant that level of attention.

Snag
June 11, 2012, 11:47 AM
I clean them when they're dirty. In other words they get cleaned after I shoot them. To me going out and shooting dozens of rounds then not cleaning is kinda like going out for a jog then not taking a shower. Totally doable, just not how I roll.

HoosierQ
June 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
I clean them as soon as I can get to them after shooting. I clean my EDC between shooting it sometimes because lint builds up in the nooks and crannies...that cleaning is more like a dusting a little lube freshening.

JTQ
June 11, 2012, 11:55 AM
This American Handgunner article from Roy Huntington is worthwhile for this discussion.

In general, he thinks most of us over clean our guns and detail strip some guns way too often. He does recommend, as some already have, if you have taken apart the gun to clean it, you may want to shoot it a time or two after you put it back together to make sure it will work.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHMA11/?Page=114

kcshooter
June 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
Basic field strip and clean every gun after every range trip for non-carry firearms, long gun or handgun. Non-carry are the ones I shoot for fun or comp. They are cleaned close to spotless and put away well oiled. Very seldom are range guns detail stripped and cleaned. For the rifles that are used to hunt, they usually get a good going over before and after but depends on what they were exposed to.

Carry and HD handguns are cleaned when shot and cleaned once a month whether or not they are shot. Bore wiped out, dust and lint wiped off, reoiled. Fully detail stripped and cleaned about once a year, you'd be suprised by the amount of gook that gets into nooks and cranies when worn in a holster every day. Yes, I always prove them after tearing them down more than a basic field strip.

HD long guns are cleaned every couple months if not shot. Just a pass thru the bore and a wipe down and reoil. I've got a shotgun and AR under/near the bed and 2 shotguns near other entrances.

Probably overkill to many people, but they're my guns, and I like 'em clean.

Teachu2
June 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
I' running modern non-corrosive ammo in modern firearms, so retail cleaning nornally occurrs when I have the gun apart for other reasons - and often not then. The only gun I've ever owned that required regular cleaning was a ported 1911 - a previous owner ported the barrel, bushing, and slide, creating lots of bushing issues when it got dirty. After 150 rounds or so, it required help to go into battery. I changed the barrel and bushing, and it is now a tack-driver than will shoot thousands of rounds between cleanings.

Carry guns get an external surface cleaning after every day at the range, and the rest may get a quick wipedown. All get lubed as needed. I live in a very dry climate, rust is pretty uncommon on guns here.

ny32182
June 11, 2012, 12:35 PM
For safe queens, I will pull them out and re-lube about once a year or so when I think it is time; no real set schedule.

For my carry gun I would clean it every time I shoot it, which is basically never anymore. As it is I re-lube it every few months. G19.

My current IDPA gun, which is the one I shoot (currently an M&P Pro) I do a basic cleaning after 300-500 rounds. It will start short stroking and/or not go all the way into battery at about 500 rounds with the 13lb spring. (G34 I shot before was the same). I detail clean these and replace the smaller internal springs every 5-10k, depending on when I get around to it.

J_McLeod
June 11, 2012, 01:17 PM
The carry guns get cleaned after every range trip. The XDs, AR and AK get cleaned when they stop working or before matches.

Sky
June 11, 2012, 01:48 PM
Was wondering what I could get the wife interested in today. I have only shot the .22 ARs and the 7.62x39 pig hunting this year.....So all the rest with the exception of a few pistols have been safe queens....Yuck I hate to drag everything out and spend the next couple of hours cleaning!!! Honey, hey, I got something to show you!! Actually a family who cleans together stays together....reasonable when said with a twitch in your lip.

jdh
June 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
The guns get cleaned when they need it.

The weapons get cleaned when they get blood on them or when they have been exposed to the elements.

Esoxchaser
June 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
I work outdoors in a dirty environment, so my EDC gets taken down at least every other day.
Everything else gets cleaned as soon as possible after use.

ChCx2744
June 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
After each range trip. Sometimes if I haven't taken a certain one shooting in a while (A while meaning over 2 months) then I'll run a patch through the barrel and wipe it down.

miles1
June 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
I clean them after every trip to the range.

Arkansas Paul
June 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Modern ammunition doesn't do anything to a gun that really requires them to be cleaned right away (or even for years, generally), under normal circumstances.

+1
I clean my hunting rifles at the end of each hunting season. My pistols are cleaned after about every 5 range trips or so. My Marlin 60, well I've had it for 6 years and I think I've sprayed the action with Gun Scrubber 1 time.

marb4
June 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
My "range/fun only" guns get cleaned whenever I feel the urge or if they're beginning to malfunction. My self defense pistols get a thorough field strip and cleaning after each trip to the range. If I ever need my shots to "count" out of my SD guns, I'd like to know at least they're not going to malfunction due to my laziness.

Kiln
June 11, 2012, 09:35 PM
Well I have no safe queens and shoot every gun I own in a month. Now I clean after ever trip to the range or fired. Now on the chance I don't fire a gun in a month I will clean it and lube. But then I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to a tool that my life might depend on.
Yeah but unless you live in a place where you can shoot daily or don't have many firearms this isn't the norm for most people.

I live in the suburbs and have 26 firearms, shooting and cleaning all of them in a month would be a full time job in itself.

For me, I clean all firearms after I shoot them but only usually take one long gun and two or three handguns out to the range at a time. Firearms that have been sitting for six months get a good cleaning whether they have been fired or not as a precaution after finding some rust on my SKS.

Okiegunner
June 11, 2012, 11:08 PM
Clean them after each use. However, I enjoy field-stripping my pistols, each week I'll usually fieldstrip, inspect and lightly lube a couple of them even if they have not been recently fired.

Captain Brown Beard
June 11, 2012, 11:17 PM
Depends what I'm shooting. Most guns I clean soon after getting home from the range. Good example is my AK, have to clean it after I run corrosive through it, else it turns to a rust bucket. Others that are a PITA to tear down, like Mark III, I clean when they need it.

Gtimothy
June 11, 2012, 11:57 PM
All guns used at the range get cleaned and lubed when I get home. Carry gun gets cleaned and lubed twice a week wether it's been shot or not. I sweat a LOT and it gets hot and humid here in Florida! It's easier to prevent rust than to remove it!

GLOOB
June 12, 2012, 06:47 AM
My locked breech semiauto handguns, very rarely. They just don't get very dirty.

I've learned to clean my semiauto rifle every now and again, even though I've never had a malfunction (piston operated, not direct gas). It's because carbon buildup in the gas tube can make future disassembly difficult or potentially damaging if let go too long.

ponchsox
June 12, 2012, 08:01 AM
After every range visit, regardless of how many rounds I shoot.

Hizzoner
June 18, 2012, 10:56 PM
I want to say "Every time my daughter brings home a new boyfriend" but that would be a lie.
I clean mine every time I shoot them even if it's only 20 rounds.

JSmith
June 19, 2012, 09:14 AM
I can't put any gun away dirty, I just can't. I can't do it, I can't get to sleep knowing a gun is dirty.

Me, either. I clean every time I shoot, and sometimes in-between just because I like to clean. I rotate range trips between a Colt Series 70 1911, Colt Python, and S&W M29. I get home, get out the patches and the Shooter's Choice, crack a cold one, and go to it.

bannockburn
June 19, 2012, 11:54 AM
I clean them every time I use them. If it's been awhile between range visits and some of them haven't been used recently, I will clean those as well.

Copeland1990
June 20, 2012, 02:08 AM
i was just curious as to everyone elses routines.
myself,i clean mine after every sesion at the range of course.
but,i also get all of mine out,handguns and long guns about every 3 or 4 weeks and lubricate them all.as well as wipe them all down with a light coating of oil.
Same routine here aside from the getting everything out I lube when I it then away and leave them be till I use them again, no other users know my safe combo so no one else can use them either.

Omaney
June 21, 2012, 08:48 AM
After shooting as a rule. However, I will take to the LCP a blast from the compressor often to blow out the pocket lint.

chieftain
June 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
In Vietnam, 67,68,69 as a Marine with the 3rdMarDiv I never saw a man get wounded or die because his weapons were too clean. I saw a bunch get it because their weapon's were dirty.

Later I got kicked off the Drill Field for pointing out the finer points of a clean M14 rifle to one of my young troopers. Lucky for me the Skipper was a very salty Bull Col. and he understood my Sargent's angst perfectly, relieved me without charges or problems. The NEW CORPS did not like Sgt's who thumped, The Col and I commiserated together about it.

To this day, I get very "hinky" around dirty weapons, after all at one time in my life clean weapons was a survival skill in the literal sense.

So I classify my weapons for either play or fighting. A fighting weapon needs to be kept functionally clean, not white glove, although........... A weapon for play, hunting, competition, plinking, teaching etc... Is your business. But I sure liked the folks who used the bathing and tooth brush analogies.

I guess each of us should set our own standards. For me I vote clean weapons.

Go figure.

Fred

MtnSpur
June 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
All my weapons are thoroughly cleaned after every use, period. Every few months I check every weapon in the safe just as a precaution to make sure no issues could have reared it's ugly head. Habit.

Warp
June 21, 2012, 02:53 PM
I field strip and clean my carry guns, on average, probably every other range visit. I will generally run a boresnake through after shooting if I won't be field stripping.

deputy tom
June 21, 2012, 06:15 PM
I clean mine as follows...

1.After every range trip.

2. Once a year shot or not.

3.Carry guns every six months.

YMMV. tom.:cool:

el Godfather
June 21, 2012, 07:03 PM
After every time I use it.

Dr.Rob
June 21, 2012, 09:04 PM
Deputy Tom is more where I'm at.

Clean 'em after I shoot 'em. (This might not be the case in a multi day class.)

Clean 'em after a hunting trip, shot or not.

Even the stuff in the safe gets a 6 month wipe down.

GMHAYESUSN
June 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
Usually after every range trip or every 2 weeks of carry however the new M&P isnt getting cleaned til it fails over 600 rounds so far no issues

BearAZ737
June 22, 2012, 01:11 AM
I clean my hanguns and ar's after every outing. I like them shiny!

however.. I have a maverick 88 I havent cleaned since I got it and have put around 250 rounds through it:D only some clp to lube it up! Shotguns are working guns right?

WOOOO post #100!!!

Auto426
June 22, 2012, 01:41 AM
I tend to clean all my guns after each range session, but I'm not above putting some of them away dirty if I don't feel like breaking out all the cleaning supplies. I will also occasionally check out and re-oil guns that have been in storage for a while to make sure nothing is corroding.

DeadFlies
June 22, 2012, 08:55 AM
Deputy Tom is more where I'm at.

Clean 'em after I shoot 'em. (This might not be the case in a multi day class.)

Clean 'em after a hunting trip, shot or not.

Even the stuff in the safe gets a 6 month wipe down.

This is basically what I do too. I'll put them away dirty but only for a day or two. Sometimes I just don't have the time to give them the attention they deserve right after I'm done shooting or hunting.

And yeah, every few months I give them all a good rub-down with a silicone cloth, whether I've shot or even handled them or not.

MedWheeler
June 22, 2012, 10:13 AM
My Ruger Mk-II and my Ruger 10/22 both got cleaned after a session a few days ago, and it was the first time in probably two decades for each of them, other than an occasional wipe-down of the exterior.
I have no "safe queens". Other guns, most of which are potential defense pieces, get cleaned probably after every other range trip. Range trips for me occur about once every four-to-six weeks, and involve 50-100 rounds per centerfire gun (less for the P32 due to availability of ammo), and about twice that for rimfires.
Not all of my guns go with me to each session. If one stays home but wasn't cleaned after its last session, it will get cleaned with the day's shooters if they do.

rpdavis
June 23, 2012, 02:13 AM
I can't put any gun away dirty, I just can't. I can't do it...

I'm with this gentleman.

Yes, I'm sure that they don't need to be cleaned after every trip to the range. Yes, I know they'll work just fine even when dirty. But knowing that my weapons are properly cleaned just makes me feel better.

Warp
June 23, 2012, 02:28 AM
What about the fact that, according to some of what I have read (and it is totally logical), your firearm is more likely to malfunction when it has been disassembled and then put back together since the last time you fired it?

Isn't there something to be said for having verified proper function since the last dis-assembly?

chieftain
June 23, 2012, 07:13 AM
What about the fact that, according to some of what I have read (and it is totally logical), your firearm is more likely to malfunction when it has been disassembled and then put back together since the last time you fired it?

Isn't there something to be said for having verified proper function since the last dis-assembly?

For those that do not know how to maintain, reliably reassemble and check their weapon, that is true. Where I learned to take care of my weapons, we were required to be able to take them down and put them back together and able to function properly, blind folded. Test fire was not an option. Sort of a ZEN thing.

We cleaned our weapons a MINIMUM of twice a day in the bush, more if you were involved in any fights. Test fire was not part of the drill.

After a fire fight, orders were to take care of the wounded/dead if any and count heads, defensive positions when necessary, 50% of the rest of the troops were to reload their magazines and quick clean their weapons, then switch, and distribute any extra ammo. The NCO's & SNCO's checked their fireteam/squad's personal and heavy weapons if any and radio's. Then count weapons, ammo, radio battery's, etc...... Firing your weapons to see if they worked wasn't anymore an option then, than where I live in suburbia today.

Where I learned to fight, and did my post training graduate work, turning your light on in the middle of a firefight to fix your weapon, even under a poncho, was not conducive to a pain free existence.

Nothing wrong with test firing a weapon, but not very practical for most folks. Particularly those who carry a weapon for a living. Learn how to maintain your weapons properly is my best advice for any professional.

Good luck.

Fred

meanmrmustard
June 23, 2012, 09:22 AM
Ha! Me three. Nothing more relaxing than a Sam Adams, CLP, and a bore snake!

chieftain
June 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
Ha! Me three. Nothing more relaxing than a Sam Adams, CLP, and a bore snake!

Used to be the old Hoppes with nitro, but okay, that works. I will bring the beer.

Good luck.

Fred

bikerdoc
June 23, 2012, 09:46 AM
Chieftain, got it right. ( Welcome home brother)

Long ago, in a far off land, a younger me learned to do right, and do it often.

The CCW of the day gets cleaned that night. I can do each blindfolded, not as fast as before but fast enough to impress the grandkids. :)

Im not preaching, Y'all do whats best for you.

ETA,I will bring the beer.

LOL, Dr Pepper for me, nothing better than cleaning guns and reliving the glory days with good friends.

chieftain
June 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
Doc, I can't do anything as fast as I used to.

Welcome home Brother.

Go figure.

Fred

cfullgraf
June 23, 2012, 10:54 AM
Carry and self defense guns get cleaned after shooting and before being returned to defense activities. If I am ever involved in a situation, I do not want there to be any doubt that I did not fire the gun if in fact I really did not fire the gun..

Safe queens get cleaned shortly after shooting before being returned to their well earned retirement position.

Guns that I just shoot at the range, or match guns get cleaned periodically, generally after no more than 500 or so rounds. If i think I will not be using a particualar gun for a while, like when it gets too hot to shoot skeet, I try to get it cleaned before putting it away.

If you enjoyed reading about "how often do you clean your weapons?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!