How to CC when hiking?

PDA

BBQLS1
June 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
I'm looking for different options for carry when hiking. It's very hot, humid, and you get very sweaty here in South Louisiana. I'm planning on carrying a small snub nosed revolver in .357 Mag. I have a blued Taurus 605 that works well except for the blued bit.... I'm thinking about buying a SP101 for this purpose.

But the real question is: How to comfortably carry this gun when hiking? I'll have a pack with a Camelbak.... and it will be very hot and humid.

Thanks for your suggestions!

If you enjoyed reading about "How to CC when hiking?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Upstater
June 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
I would go with a waist pack (fanny pack) type of system sweat and high humidity should not affect this system but will leave your gun at the ready.

psyopspec
June 11, 2012, 09:16 AM
Take a look at the Safepacker. The video on their web site conveys what it is and how it works fairly well. I don't own one, but have seen the product mentioned for hiking.

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1

Steel Horse Rider
June 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
If you are hiking away from civilization why not open carry with a traditional holster on your belt?

4v50 Gary
June 11, 2012, 09:44 AM
Shoulder holster. When you squat to defecate, your gun isn't on the ground.

Snowdog
June 11, 2012, 11:02 AM
I don't open carry as I don't care for the attention it often brings and I enjoy knowing the element of surprise is in my favor if it's ever needed.

I still use the same tuckable holster while hiking in warm weather as I do for CCW. On occasion, I do use the .357sig barrel in the M&P40c, but at least the platform remains the same.

I used to wear ThunderWear when when hiking and carried as large as a Steyr M40.

I've seriously considered the SP101 with 3" in .327 mag just to have. I'm sure it will serve well for trail use.

ForumSurfer
June 11, 2012, 11:30 AM
It's hot and humid here in NC, too. I carry the same glock 26 in the same position I carry everywhere else (appendix, 3-4 o'clock OWB or 4 o'clock IWB). I carry it because I'm worried about those pesky two legged predators. If I were worried about animals, I'd be carrying a larger caliber in a revolver or a 10mm glock. It isn't comfortable, but it is comforting. :)

I've tried thunderwear and I'm not a thunderwear guy, never will be. I find it annoying and uncomfortable to the point where I'd honestly rather be unarmed if that's my only method of carry. To each his/her own, though.

I sweat profusely, more than most folk I do believe. No matter what I carry in, I'm going to get the weapon drenched in sweat as I am a very active guy. I'll sweat over, around or through sweat guards. I just deal with it and clean it accordingly. Its a glock, so I usually just wipe the outside down and the sights. A bunch of sweat isn't going to ruin it or make it fail.

Shoulder holster. When you squat to defecate, your gun isn't on the ground.

Fantastic advice. If you don't heed that advice, at least make sure your pants/firearm rig don't end up downrange from the firing line when you drop trousers.

NavyLCDR
June 11, 2012, 11:49 AM
Open carry, drop leg holster. Otherwise you are severly sacrificing accessibility for the sake of concealment.

56hawk
June 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hip holster with a baggy shirt works well. I carry a 500ES in a cross draw when hiking.

BBQLS1
June 11, 2012, 01:02 PM
I was thinking one of these mounted on my belt, mounted on an easily accessable part of my pack, under my arm (shoulder holster style), or maybe even mounted on top of my shoulder attached to my pack strap.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/7x5x2-Vertical-GP-Pouch-Low-Profile-7p773.htm

Ex-MA Hole
June 11, 2012, 01:17 PM
I use a serpa holster and a J-Frame 637.

The gun is light, and I can put a t shirt or bandana over it if I want it covered.

psyopspec
June 11, 2012, 03:10 PM
Open carry, drop leg holster. Otherwise you are severly sacrificing accessibility for the sake of concealment.

A J-Frame in a drop leg? A drop leg holster will not be faster than a belt holster for most people. The point of the drop leg is to get the weapon clear of body armor, which may be a requirement hiking in RC-E but generally won't be a concern in LA (I hope). I suppose the "get clear of gear" advantage could also apply to a large framed backpack with a kidney pack, but I have to say drop leg holsters can get very uncomfortable over long distances and add unnecessary weight/bulk for hiking. Instead, throw a safepacker (or any other holster of your choosing that will mount there) on the kidney belt. Go 12 o'clock, or appendix carry, or even strong side depending on the pack.

Mainsail
June 11, 2012, 03:27 PM
You don't want a drop leg holster for hiking, unless your definition of hiking is walking few hundred yards away from your car. The Bianchi flap holster can be clipped around most pack belts.

EDIT: After rereading some of the responses, it might help if you define ‘hiking’ as you intend to use it. If you’re hiking with a belt through your blue jeans under your pack belt, you have a lot of options. If you’re going to engage in some serious hiking, wearing quick-drying hiking pants, and covering many miles with elevation changes, then that won’t be an option because those pants have no belt loops. Generally, hikers don’t wear a belt under their pack belt; it causes hot spots and pinches you. They don’t wear jeans either, but that’s another whole topic by itself.

http://www.topohiker.com/Holster.png

BBQLS1
June 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
You don't want a drop leg holster for hiking, unless your definition of hiking is walking few hundred yards away from your car. The Bianchi flap holster can be clipped around most pack belts.

EDIT: After rereading some of the responses, it might help if you define Ďhikingí as you intend to use it. If youíre hiking with a belt through your blue jeans under your pack belt, you have a lot of options. If youíre going to engage in some serious hiking, wearing quick-drying hiking pants, and covering many miles with elevation changes, then that wonít be an option because those pants have no belt loops. Generally, hikers donít wear a belt under their pack belt; it causes hot spots and pinches you. They donít wear jeans either, but thatís another whole topic by itself.

http://www.topohiker.com/Holster.png

Thanks for the feedback..... I'm starting slow, but some day I want to do what you are doing in the picture. I've got a long ways to go. :o

ForumSurfer
June 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
EDIT: After rereading some of the responses, it might help if you define ‘hiking’ as you intend to use it. If you’re hiking with a belt through your blue jeans under your pack belt, you have a lot of options. If you’re going to engage in some serious hiking, wearing quick-drying hiking pants, and covering many miles with elevation changes, then that won’t be an option because those pants have no belt loops. Generally, hikers don’t wear a belt under their pack belt; it causes hot spots and pinches you. They don’t wear jeans either, but that’s another whole topic by itself.

Good point, I never cover more than a few miles so I admittedly don't carry a large pack or specialized gear.

Captains1911
June 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
I usually carry in one off these while hiking, and I too carry a camelbak pack. It is very discrete, looks more like a camera case really. Access is very quick with a little practice. I carry a G23. I sometimes carry in a Serpa around 3:30 to 4:00 but it doesn't conceal very well with the camelbak. My hikes typically range from 3-15 miles.

http://www.hawkepaks.com/prod.itml/icOid/133

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/temp/DSC01469_1.jpg

JPG19
June 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
My problem with carrying IWB at 4 o'clock (my edc position), is the belt on my backpack puts too much pressure on the weapon when secured. I like the idea of the drop leg holster. Can someone expand on why you don't want to wear one for long distances? I typically wear Mountain Khakis.

psyopspec
June 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
Can someone expand on why you don't want to wear one for long distances?

Reasons I don't use a drop leg for hiking:
-It can be uncomfortable on the legs over longer distances. The straps can cause chafing, and they require periodic readjustment as they work their way down, vs. a good holster on a gun belt which will generally stay put even with a lot of movement. This won't be a factor for most day hikes, but moving over 10 miles on foot through mountainous terrain over a period of 72 hours while wearing over 50 lbs of gear is what I'm talking about. If you're not doing that, you don't need a drop leg. Even in that case, many will choose a chest-mounted rig on their plate carrier or body armor.

-Many people mistakenly believe that a drop leg is a faster rig. They can be comparable to belt carry for speed with practice, but will not be faster for most folks, even with training. The beltline is closer to the endstate of a good shooting stance and is inherently faster because of it.

-Just because it bears repeating, the purpose of the drop leg is to get your pistol clear of your body armor.

-Very subjectively, if I see someone wearing a drop leg without a reason, that person's going to get a second glance. It's similar to if I show up at the range to find a group of acne-ridden teens dressed in black trench coats blowing ammo downrange. It may not be fair, but it conveys a black belt in mall ninjitsu. The reason I've honed this generality is that folks in and out of uniform downrange who habitually wear drop legs when they have no reason to, and other options are available, tend to be a dangerous sort - highly motivated and enthusiastic, but in an uninformed way because they don't get outside the wire much if at all. Not as bad as the ones who wear a shoulder rig down to the knee, but still worth keeping an eye on.

Having said all that, if you decide to do it:

-The most common newb error with a drop leg is to wear it out of reach. The pistol should still ride where you can grip it without having to lean heavy to one side. In fact, it should be adjusted to get clear of whatever you need it to get clear of, and no lower.

-Practice your draw.

-Like most holster types, the cheap ones that will fit any pistol tend to be of lower quality, less comfort, and either slower on the draw or lacking retention. If you're going to do it, spend the money and get a Safariland, 5.11 Thumb Drive, or Blackhawk Serpa that's designed for the gun in question.

-Have a thick skin, and understand that the odd glances you're getting from others on the trail may have nothing to do with the fact that you're carrying a gun, and everything to do with your chosen method of carry.

galena
June 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
I second psyopspec...........try the SafePacker..........very unobtrusive and very fast Keep shootin' and check 6

splithoof
June 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
The Safepacker is a great outdoor method of low profile carry. To folks who don't do guns, it looks like a PDA or other electronic gadget case. I have seen them in the city, and likely nobody else but the person wearing it and myself know whats inside. It is a very durable, well made case that will last a long time.

Lex Luthier
June 11, 2012, 06:43 PM
OWB. It is the great outdoors, and the home of traditionally dangerous outdoor critters.

I like to carry a wrist rocket and throwing knives also. It is fun sometimes to stop and pop.

Dr.Rob
June 11, 2012, 07:05 PM
Safepacker. Doesn't look like a holster, can be put on your hip belt of the pack.

HorseSoldier
June 11, 2012, 07:11 PM
Take a look at the Safepacker.

+1. That's what I use for hiking. I like the very nondescript but readily accessible format, as well as being able to belt carry, rig it on a rucksack weight belt, or sling it from a strap.

You don't want a drop leg holster for hiking, unless your definition of hiking is walking few hundred yards away from your car.

Another +1. Though the FOB I'm on in A'stan (and every other FOB on the planet) is full of dolts who never got the memo, drop leg holsters are for carrying a pistol just low enough that your body armor doesn't interfere with a functional drawstroke. They're certainly not for strapping a pistol to your knee when wandering over to the Green Bean for a latte (again, that memo seems to not have made its rounds with staff officers, fobbits, and other people without significant weapons training). For hiking/rucking, the retention straps that go around your leg will start to annoy the hell out of you pretty quickly on a drop leg.

[/soap box mode]

tech30528
June 11, 2012, 07:16 PM
I hike the AT and carry. I did a lot of research on this years ago, at the time I wasn't in to guns (oooh how times change) and just needed something light, durable, and with enough knock down power for the purpose. Keep in mind at the time I wasn't a shooter so I wanted something that could be inactive for long periods of time but work when I needed it. around here we have black bear (not very dangerous under most circumstances) and wild boar (always an unpredictable threat but not known for their stealth. If they are in the area you'll know it).

My research showed that 9mm wasn't enough. Something in the .357sig/ 40 cal/ 10mm range is commonly used here for hunting boar. Of the three I went with the model 33 Glock because the .357 round is higher velocity than .40, and I run solids as opposed to hollow points for max penetration or alternating solids and HPs. The pistol loaded and a spare mag runs 2 pounds in the fanny pack and will work no matter what, which was really important to me. The nice thing about the carry arrangement is that if I'm in a suspect area I can carry around front and it doesn't alert other hikers, or if I'm in a populated area with lower risk I can spin the pack around to my back and it supports the weight of my backpack taking the load off my shoulders. Granted my 3 day summer pack is only 17 pounds, but we pound out 15-20 miles a day here on the AT in Georgia so light is key.

I understand the revolver stance. I went with the Glock because it doesn't seem to matter if you find yourself armpit deep in quicksand, it's still going to work. It's usually in the fanny pack in a clip type soft holster that is tied to the bottom of the bag with about 3-4 inches of cord so it pulls free easy but travels with the trigger covered loaded with the slide locked back. All it requires is to pull and knock down the slide lock with your thumb and you are ready to go.

Mainsail
June 11, 2012, 10:03 PM
...loaded with the slide locked back. All it requires is to pull and knock down the slide lock with your thumb and you are ready to go.

I've never heard of carrying in that configuration. I don't see much reason to do so, but whatever blows your kilt up. I carry my G20SF loaded with a round in the chamber and nine more in the magazine (downloaded to save weight) ready to go. If I need it (which admittedly is remote) I want it ready, not hoping the round chambers with whatever might have gotten inside the open slide/chamber.

TrailWolf
June 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
Hill People Gear Kit Bag - I love it.

They also have 2 smaller models available - one uber-tactical with molle.

www.hillpeoplegear.com

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/products/prodgallery//31.JPG

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/products/prodgallery//3rkbkh.JPG

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/20120129-220452.jpg

ScrapMetalSlug
June 11, 2012, 10:28 PM
Ive used a drop down leg holster hiking out in backwoods Appalachia for multiple day trips with good success. This is a good method especially if you are carrying a large pack, as a shoulder holster or anything around your waist could be irritating with a pack on. The only draw back is not being concealed

NavyLCDR
June 11, 2012, 10:33 PM
The only draw back is not being concealed

Some people do not consider that to be a drawback. :D

JonathanE
June 11, 2012, 11:51 PM
On a frame pack, you can remove the buckle from the left side of the waist belt. Slide a cheap Uncle Mike's belt holster with a retainer strap onto the waist belt, and re-thread the buckle. You can then carry an SP101 (or what have you) cross-draw. Your outer-shirt can be pulled up and over the waist belt (and holster) for concealment. When you take off your pack, simply pocket the revolver. Leave the holster attached to the frame pack.

Carter
June 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't use a shoulder holster when hiking, but thats just me. I usually have a larger pack on my back, then my camelbak slung across my chest, so extra straps would just be annoying.

I'd go with open carry if allowed. If you can't, then I'd have it in the pockets of my camelbak, but thats just what would work for me.

HorseSoldier
June 12, 2012, 01:20 PM

I've seen their website, and the Kit Bag seems like a potential winner -- especially for carrying a bear defense gun while fishing in waders. Glad to hear it works well from someone who is using one, as well, since the world is full of things that look good in the manufacturer's advertising.

On the website they mention being able to integrate it with a backpack -- is that any pack, or just HPG's packs?

GCBurner
June 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
For day hikes and bicycle trails, I use the Maxpedition Jumbo bag with the concealed pistol pocket. For way off the beaten path, I'll wear a regular holster on my belt.

lloveless
June 12, 2012, 02:29 PM
Most day hikes of 2-5 miles for me don't require a pack. I usually don't even carry water as most places I hike their are springs that are easily accessible. I carry an Ruger sp-101 with a 3 inch barrel in .357 mag., 1st shot is snake shot followed by 125 gr jsp if threat is human and 158 gr lswc if threat is bear(black). I usually carry open, but in the GSM I carry concealed due to the tree huggers and avoiding confrontation. I am there to enjoy myself.
ll
ll

BBQLS1
June 13, 2012, 09:39 AM
I understand the revolver stance. I went with the Glock because it doesn't seem to matter if you find yourself armpit deep in quicksand, it's still going to work. It's usually in the fanny pack in a clip type soft holster that is tied to the bottom of the bag with about 3-4 inches of cord so it pulls free easy but travels with the trigger covered loaded with the slide locked back. All it requires is to pull and knock down the slide lock with your thumb and you are ready to go.

Why would you carry any handgun with the slide locked back? You are inviting dirt and other nasties to get in there. What's the advantage?

BBQLS1
June 13, 2012, 09:41 AM
big packs seem like they would be too much especially since I'm carrying a back pack. The smaller items like the safepacker seem to be a good choice since I can put them on my belt or my pack. They would tend to blend in with the pack.

A back pack and a front pack? I don't think that will work.

Mainsail
June 13, 2012, 11:14 AM

JMHO but that thing looks freaking ridiculous. Is the OP going hiking or into combat?

tech30528
June 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
Why would you carry any handgun with the slide locked back? You are inviting dirt and other nasties to get in there. What's the advantage?
This is a Glock, so it has no safety other than the double trigger. Carrying it chambered would have me checking it all the time. Inside the fanny pack the pistol is in a soft belt holster that covers both the trigger and the open port. The holster is attached to the inside of the bag by a short cord. When I pull it, I don't have to wonder if there is a round chambered or not or wonder if I've unloaded it when I get off the trail or not. It is open with a full mag. So it's pretty easy and no guess work to pull and hit the slide lock. At that point I know for sure it is chambered and ready.

Captains1911
June 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
This is a Glock, so it has no safety other than the double trigger. Carrying it chambered would have me checking it all the time. Inside the fanny pack the pistol is in a soft belt holster that covers both the trigger and the open port. The holster is attached to the inside of the bag by a short cord. When I pull it, I don't have to wonder if there is a round chambered or not or wonder if I've unloaded it when I get off the trail or not. It is open with a full mag. So it's pretty easy and no guess work to pull and hit the slide lock. At that point I know for sure it is chambered and ready.

:rolleyes: That's the strangest method of carry i have ever heard. Why would you need to "check it all the time" if it were chambered? What is this guess work you speak of?

Magoo
June 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
A back pack and a front pack? I don't think that will work.

It can work quite well. I've got just such a setup on my large (7000+ c.i.) backpack. Mine is just large enough to hold a full size 1911 along with other odds and ends that are handy to have easy access to (snacks, lip goo, whistle, etc). Mine attaches at two points (high and low) on one shoulder strap and about in the middle of the other shoulder strap and replaces the sternum strap. I bought mine years and years ago when Dana Design was still in business and I can't seem to find them now. But webbing is webbing, buckles are buckles, and it'd be easy enough to rig any number of small pouches in a similar manner.

Heck, even my fishing setup is a modular backpack/chestpack setup where you can wear it with either or both of the components. It's pretty fishing oriented in its details, but you can get the idea if you check it out: http://www.fishpondusa.com/doublehaul.cfm. It holds a pocket pistol quite nicely in an "extra"/hidden compartment in front that gives me quick access yet good security/retention and it'd hold a full size pistol up front if I left most of my fly boxes at home (ain't gonna happen :cool:).

ETA: out of curiosity I just tried and a full size 1911 fits nicely in that same front pouch.

kayak-man
June 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
My Unsolicited Advice:

This is a Glock, so it has no safety other than the double trigger. Carrying it chambered would have me checking it all the time.

When I was first starting to carry, I was really concerned about carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, or a glock with a round chambered, so I totally understand what you're saying about the feeling to check it. My understanding is, with the Glocks, you have to pull dead center on the trigger to get it to fire. Besides, if you have some kind of holster that covers the trigger guard, you should be AOK. After a while, you get used to it.

Inside the fanny pack the pistol is in a soft belt holster that covers both the trigger and the open port. The holster is attached to the inside of the bag by a short cord

OK, you've got the open chamber covered, so you're good for debris, but you also have the trigger covered, so you don't really need to worry about the open chamber. You're just adding another step, with a few drawbacks, but I'll get to that in a minute.

When I pull it, I don't have to wonder if there is a round chambered or not or wonder if I've unloaded it when I get off the trail or not.

First, you should never wonder about the state of your pistol. Its either loaded, or it isn't. Remember, the first life safety rule: ALL guns are ALL WAYS LOADED. Even though my gun has a loaded chamber indicator, I still double and triple check, and physically confirm (both by touching the empty chamber, and counting my ammo to make sure all rounds are accounted for.) Personally, I think it would be way to easy to get complacent with that style of carry, and assume that because the slide is locked back, you're empty. Either way, you should KNOW if its loaded or not. If you're unsure, press check, and either way, treat it likes it loaded.

It is open with a full mag

IMVHO, that is tactically unsound. I don't know which Glock you are carrying, but you're limiting yourself by one round. Doesn't sound like much, but I figure guns are like seat-belts, fire extinguishers, and those little float bags you put on the end of a kayak paddle: You don't need them very often, but when you do, you Really need them. There
s no garuntee that you'll be able to get to your extra mags, or the mag in the gun won't malfunction. The more ammo you can have on hand, ready to go, the better.

So it's pretty easy and no guess work to pull and hit the slide lock.

I'd be concerned about how easy it is to close the slide when you're carrying it. I knwo the slide release is probably covered, but guns usually will go back into battery after you slap the bottom of the magazine. I'm not saying that if you trip and fall the gun WILL go into battery and chamber a round. I'm not even saying its likely, just pointing out the possibility. I'd also be concerned about how much harder it may be to get a good grip on the gun when you're drawing, and how easy it would be for the slide to get caught on something.

At that point I know for sure it is chambered and ready.

Unless something happens, and you end up with a double feed, the magazine disconnected, something got into the ejection port while drawing, or you're at contact distance, and the BG grabs the gun, preventing it from going into battery.

Like I said, I understand why you may feel better carrying the gun in slide lock. I don't think that's the "wrong" way to carry a gun, it sound like you've put some effort into making it as safe as possible, and I respect both safety and thinking outside the box.

Keep in mind, I'm the kind of guy who ALWAYS offers his advice, and doesn't know when to shut up, so yes, I did go through, and dissect your post, and pick apart everything you said, but I'm just trying to be helpful.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

kayak-man
June 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
To the OP:

I know a guy who has the Hill People Gear thing and swears by it. I've heard a few (unverified) horror stories about our County Prosecutor, and his feelings towards open carry, so I try to conceal whenever possible. (They are unverified, and I don't remember the specifics. I think it was only one or two people that I've heard of being hassled for it.)

The last big hike I went on, I carried a J-Frame .38, and it rode quite nicely in either my pants pockets or the chest pocket of my REI rain jacket. I've been trying to find a way to conceal the gun, carry it on my hip, and not have the hip straps interfere. I've been thinking that I might be able to position the gun just above or below the strap, and wear a shirt or vest over the gun.

I've carried a gun in my camelback/daypack before, but wasn't crazy about the limited access. Appendix carry might be an option with a shorter firearm, or a chest or shoulder rig might work pretty well.

It appears I have to do some testing on this matter.

Wow, that wasn't very helpful at all, was it?

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

psyopspec
June 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
I forgot to add earlier, I've also carried my J-frame in a cargo pocket, with a pocket holster. I rarely wear cargos, but sometimes they'll make an appearance for short day hikes.

friscolatchi
June 13, 2012, 11:15 PM
I put a rocket in my pocket. M&P 340 in a Mica or Desantis pocket holster when I backpack or day hike in the warmer months.

HorseSoldier
June 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
I bought mine years and years ago when Dana Design was still in business and I can't seem to find them now.

The founder of Dana Design went on to start up Mystery Ranch, which is still in business (and doing incredible packs and accessories), though I don't know if they do a chest pouch set up.

Magoo
June 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks HorseSoldier. I'd forgotten that Dana had set up his new shop. I'll throw out a free add for him for anyone who is looking for a pack- his stuff is absolutely top notch. My Terraplane pack turned 20 years old this year and I don't see that I'll ever wear it out. I remember his warranty statement back in the D.D. years was something along the lines of "yes, we fully warranty our gear, but warranties do you no good when your gear fails you out in the field. We build our gear so that won't happen." Good stuff. I'll wholeheartedly endorse anything that comes out of his shop.

Interesting to see the military line of gear he is making now. Have you seen any of his stuff deployed?

David E
June 14, 2012, 02:00 PM

That's just silly.

If you don't understand or trust how a Glock works, choose a gun type you do understand and trust.

USAF_Vet
June 14, 2012, 08:52 PM
Is OC legal in your state? When I'm in the woods, having my gun concealed is not a worry. I like the shoulder holster idea. Typically if I'm hiking I have a Tac vest with all my gear (water, snacks, 1st aid kit, etc) and. Y particular vest has a holster attached to the front, so it resides there.
If not, I wear a standard hip holster.

shep854
June 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
I like the waist pack also. You can also carry the small survival essentials in it, as well as gorp and other small niceties, and they stay with you if you remove your main pack. Worn in front, everything is accessible, even with your main pack on.
A added bonus is that the gun is completely protected, yet accessible.

Vern Humphrey
June 15, 2012, 11:16 PM
I've done most of the Appalachian Trail, Horseshoe and Warrior trails, the Flint River in Georgia, and the Ozark Highland Trail (and I'm a retired Infantryman -- go figure.)

I tend to carry a belt pouch with my pack, threaded on the pack belt. My Colt Detective Special rides in there.

On the other hand, here in Arkansas it's nearly always hunting season, and I often openly carry my Colt Woodsman.

Erik M
June 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
shoulder holster. my main reasons are that it can be concealed under a light button up shirt, and it dosent add weight to your belt.

gbw
June 16, 2012, 01:14 AM
I walk cross country in S. Mississippi, similar to La. In this heat, light weight is second only to reliability. I've tried most of the usual suspects, so far the best I've found is a Kel-Tec 9mm PF9 iwb using their belt clip. Very easy to carry, small, light, powerful, you can carry snake shot (I do), reliable and concealable. Any flap of cloth between you and the gun is also helpful, usually I just tuck in a t-shirt - under the gun, but leave it out everywhere else.

Pilot
June 16, 2012, 06:40 AM
For hiking, I use a Buttpack, or Maxpedition Jumbo, or OC if in deeper woods with a OWB holster.

shep854
June 16, 2012, 07:33 AM
How well does a shoulder holster work when worn with a pack? It seems that the packstrap would press down on the holster strap, causing irritation and possibly raising blisters, not to mention interfering with access to the pistol.

blindhari
June 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
As I am an old man this is an old solution to carry of a short barrel revolver while back packing. I still have a Bianchi cross draw thumb snap, I think called speedleather when I bought it, that rides on my weak side. At one time it was stiff but after 50 years off and on use its a good deal softer now. When I got the holster I was concerned with not freaking out other hikers. This holster rides at about a 30 degree angle along the belt and is easy to cover with a tshirt bulge over it or a light jacket or shirt. At waist level it is always in reach. First thing I did was wrap a S&W combat masterpiece in plastic wrap, then put holster in boiling water for about 10 seconds, rammed S&W into hot wet holster, secured with rubber bands and let it air dry to form fit gun. After drying I pulled gun and rubbed a light coat of bees wax inside holster then warmed with air gun and wiped out excess. Did the bees wax about four or five times over a week and reinserted S&W when I finished and let holster cool around gun. Finally I used a bath towel and rubbed ou all excess wax. These days it carrries a 65-5 S&W it has been resized for. It is no longer a stiff holster. It is cofortable, easy to conceal, always accesable, and has never rusted anything due to sweat.
Like I said an old solution that still works for me. If this one wears out I guess I will have to buy another and break it in.

blindhari

If you enjoyed reading about "How to CC when hiking?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!