.257 reloading help

PDA

Scott-NC
June 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
I'm new to reloading. I have purchased a used Dillon 550b setup with lots of extra stuff. For example I have the powder measurer, tool head, etc.

I don't see a .257 caliber conversion kit on the Dillon site. Probably because it is not listed that way- I know the .257 roberts is a necked down something else.... I don't see the dies listed either.

When I look for bullets I see so dag gone many options I end up not ordering anything.

Please offer some specific help. Namely
1) Give me a link to the dies I need.
2) Give me a link to the Cal conversion kit I need.
3) Give me a link to some light bullets that would be good for varmit. 60gr?? Something like that? (I know this is subject to interpretion- tell me what you would get)
4) Give me a link to the primers I need.
5) and Where the heck do I find brass? I don't really mean where to find cheaply- I just mean where to find. Lots of places have it listed- higher qty's out of stock. I'm looking for a few hundred or up to 500.

Note: I have a post in the WTB section. I don't think this is a duplicate, here I am asking for "which stuff" I want. In the other post I'm asking if anyone wants to sell it to me. If considered a dup- my apologies.

I know I need to do some homework to put it all together. I have someone to help me with that but I am looking for some advice assembling the parts so when he comes over to help I have what I need.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

If you enjoyed reading about ".257 reloading help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zeke/PA
June 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
dillonprecision.com
You should find what you need.
In any case don't be afraid to call Dillon as their customer service cannot be beat.

Steve H
June 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
Dillon Part # is 20147 for the 550B in 257 Roberts

Steve H
June 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
screen capture

Scott-NC
June 11, 2012, 10:23 PM
Called Dillon. You're right- got through right away and got to talk to someone. In my industry when I call support I end up hanging up and saying "that was useless". Refreshing to talk to someone that knows.

So he asked what caliber conversions I have now. When I said 45 ACP he stopped me and said that's what I need for 257 Roberts. OK cool. So I take it- there are caliber conversion kits- (aka case plates?) for each caliber, but many are so close in size that they work..... right? So a 45 ACP must be about the same size as a 257 Roberts at the base. Right? Do I understand that correctly?

Also he said I need powder (funnel?) K. The K refers to the size of the hole or tube the powder drops through, right? He said they are all marked with the letter. So I'll be looking at them to see if I have a K.

S

Swampman
June 12, 2012, 02:13 AM
Scott-NC -
While your 550b is an excellent unit, unless the friend that's going to help you with setup is experienced with that machine and has the time to spend making sure that you're proficient with its use, you might be better served by starting out with a single stage press. It's a lot easier for a beginner to keep up with exactly what's going on when only one thing is happening at a time.
As far as a good varmint bullet, it depends on the varmints you'll be hunting. I'm not aware of a 60 grain .257 bullet other than the Hornady flat point intended for the 25-20. It's a great bullet and I use it in my .257 Ackley Improved for called coyotes at night, but its low BC makes it a poor choice for traditional varmint hunting.
I've had good luck with this bullet out to about 300 yards.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1482131514/sierra-blitzking-bullets-25-caliber-257-diameter-70-grain-polymer-tip-boat-tail
For longer ranges, I like this one.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1482170225/sierra-blitzking-bullets-25-caliber-257-diameter-90-grain-polymer-tip-boat-tail
The only problem I've had with BlitzKings is that the thin jackets sometimes deform when seating, but for accuracy, price and terminal performance, they're hard to beat.

jfrey
June 12, 2012, 02:43 AM
I use the 75 gr.Hornady V-Max bullet in mine and it really works well. I load reloader 15 powder over Federal Mag. large rifle primers. Refer to the Hornady book for loads but you can certainly do better than the factory stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about ".257 reloading help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!