Does anyone tumble their shell after loading?

PDA

tink77
June 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
I keep hearing about tumbling bullets after they are loaded. I tumbler states never tumble loaded ammo. Any advice on this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone tumble their shell after loading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blarby
June 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
Tumble away.

I do it.

I wouldn't tumble it in a wet tumbler, or with 5# of firing pins in a drop tumbler, but other than that- you are OK.

rcmodel
June 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
I tumble nearly everything I load for 15-20 minutes to get the finger prints and sizing lube off of them.

I do not tumble cast lead grease lubed bullets, but all jacketed bullet loads go in the tumbler.

rc

jcwit
June 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
Been discussed many many times. Conclusion? Go for it.

THe Dove
June 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
I tumble all. Even cast boolits.

The Dove

777TRUTH
June 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
Tumble away.

I do it.

Me too!

Josh45
June 11, 2012, 07:06 PM
I was curious about doing that to the cast bullets as the lube easily found its way all over the bullet, My finger and a bit on the case ( when trying to seat ).

I just used a rag to wipe it off. Might wanna try it this way....

Ruezim
June 11, 2012, 07:13 PM
I am not a reloader but is there not a possibility of a round going off? Just wondering

Ruezim

rcmodel
June 11, 2012, 07:41 PM
No.

To fire a primer takes a deep dent from a high velocity impact, like from a firing pin.

No firing pins in a vibratory tumbler.

And even if, in the one in a gazillion chance one did go off?
Nothing would happen, as the thick plastic tumbler bowl would contain the flying primer and case frags.

rc

s4s4u
June 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
I don't tumble, period.

jim243
June 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
Some do, I don't. I will tumble after resizing, triming and chanfering. Just use Nitrix gloves to keep your finger prints off those shiny cases when priming, powdering and seating the bullets. (saves time and they still look great.)

Jim

cfullgraf
June 11, 2012, 07:54 PM
I do not tumble loaded rounds, but have no good reason for not doing so.

griff383
June 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
I tumble everything after loading for 15-20 mins, it takes most (if not all) of the smudges off and helps from tarnishing if storing for a long period of time

tink77
June 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks.

Swampman
June 11, 2012, 09:17 PM
+1 For tumbling after loading, although I've never done it with cast bullets and I generally avoid doing it with hollow points. I try to keep the tumbling time down to about 20 minutes.

zxcvbob
June 11, 2012, 09:24 PM
I've done it before, but I mostly use cast bullets and I don't tumble those.

Wahoo95
June 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
How do you think the factories get their ammo so nice and shiny for packaging

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

FROGO207
June 12, 2012, 07:31 AM
I tumble after reloading with corn cob and Nu-Finish to remove all the crud and oils from my fingerprints so the rounds will look like new when I eventually use them. For ammo I will use up within the week I seldom bother clean before reloading or for that matter after either. With lead/HP ammo I run the empty processed brass through before priming.

kingmt
June 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
I rearly tumble at all. If I lube cases I'll tumble. Now if I want a few really shiny then I will rub it down with steel wool then polish it with Turtle Wax.

David Wile
June 12, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hey folks,

I use a vibratory cleaning machine, and I do all my jacketed bullet cartridges in it after loading. For cartridges using cast bullets, it depends on what type of cast bullet. If it is a pistol bullet where all the lube grooves are inside the case, then I clean them just like the jacketed bullets. If I am using a cast rifle bullet where any lube grooves extend past the case mouth, I then do not put them in the vibratory cleaner.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

JLDickmon
June 13, 2012, 10:22 PM
rifle ammo that I lube the case, I do...

jim243
June 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
How do you think the factories get their ammo so nice and shiny for packaging

Not touched by human hands, that's how it works, what, you think they hand load each round?? (LOL)

Jim

oldfortyfiveauto
June 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
I also tumble after reloading with corn cob and Nu-Finish to remove all the crud and oil from sizing. Also do it to keep older ammo in good shape. 15 minutes works well.

ArchAngelCD
June 13, 2012, 11:00 PM
I don't but I see no reason not to, after all, commercial ammo companies tumble all their ammo after loading just before packaging.

Swampman
June 14, 2012, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Not touched by human hands, that's how it works, what, you think they hand load each round?? (LOL)
Jim

Next time you see a box of Black Hills Matchking loads, look closely inside the Hollowpoint...

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone tumble their shell after loading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!