Hand decapping/depriming

PDA

murphys_law
June 11, 2012, 09:06 PM
I have recently started to buy equipment to start reloading, and have come to the conclusion that I want to decap my brass before it is ultrasonic cleaned. I will probably be buying a progressive press and see no real way to do this with that set up, thus I have been looking for some sort of easy way to deprime my brass that I will be loading. I did find this: http://www.harveydeprimer.com, also I am not worried about "shiny brass" I just want good quality plinking ammo. However I figured I would get some input from guys who are doing this. So my questions basically are:

1. Do I really need to de-cap before ultrasonically cleaning my cases? My assumption was that this is the best option to enable me to get a clean primer pocket.

2. Does anyone else here use a progressive and ultrasonic?

Any other suggestions and advice anyone has would be helpful. BTW I will be reloading 9mm. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand decapping/depriming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
June 11, 2012, 09:14 PM
If you are wet cleaning, then you will probably want to decap the case before cleaning. It will allow the primer pocket to dry better.

You could get a universal decapping die and set the press up with just that die and nothing else. The Hornady L-N-L progressive is easy to that on as you install each die individually. It could be done on a Dillon 550 or 650 but you would have to either buy a second tool head or screw the dies in and out.

The Dillon Square Deal B may not permit it, or depriming only is an real pain in the caboose.

Decapping with a universal decapping die would be duck soup on a single stage.

Lee may still make a hand depriming arrangement. It is a decapping pin and a base and you tap the primer out with a hammer.

Finally, you could get a dry tumbler for cleaning and not worry about decapping until you resize the case.

Certaindeaf
June 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
For "plinking ammo", I'd not worry about it one bit.. well except for the wet powder part.
I'd either dry tumble or not tumble myself.

blarby
June 11, 2012, 10:10 PM
1. Do I really need to de-cap before ultrasonically cleaning my cases? My assumption was that this is the best option to enable me to get a clean primer pocket.

Yes.

jef2015
June 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
I have recently started to buy equipment to start reloading, and have come to the conclusion that I want to decap my brass before it is ultrasonic cleaned. I will probably be buying a progressive press and see no real way to do this with that set up, thus I have been looking for some sort of easy way to deprime my brass that I will be loading. I did find this: http://www.harveydeprimer.com, also I am not worried about "shiny brass" I just want good quality plinking ammo. However I figured I would get some input from guys who are doing this. So my questions basically are:

2. Does anyone else here use a progressive and ultrasonic?

Any other suggestions and advice anyone has would be helpful. BTW I will be reloading 9mm. Thanks.
I have a progressive press and ultrasonic cleaner. I don't deprime before cleaning. May not be the best option but works for me. You must take care the cases are dry before loading.

parker51
June 12, 2012, 12:17 AM
As mentioned above, Lee offers a decapper w/base. I used these for a couple of years before picking up a used RCBS Jr.. They are available in 30 and 22 cal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/636747/lee-decapper-and-base-30-caliber

They are supposed to be unbreakable but they do on occasion.

murphys_law
June 12, 2012, 12:55 AM
Well it looks like I will be getting a Harvey's decapper and I will just run my decapped brass through the progressive. Thanks for the input everyone.

Scimmia
June 12, 2012, 03:40 AM

Yes, it is the best option to get a clean primer pocket, but why do you want a clean primer pocket in the first place? I don't bother with pistol rounds, and only do with rifle rounds because I'm a bit anal and the lower volume doesn't take much time.

ArchAngelCD
June 12, 2012, 03:55 AM
Well it looks like I will be getting a Harvey's decapper and I will just run my decapped brass through the progressive. Thanks for the input everyone.
In my opinion there is a better way to go instead of spending $50 on a decapper. Lee sells a very inexpensive Single Stage Press (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/807734/lee-reloader-single-stage-press) for only $27.49 and a Universal Decapping Die (http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=12759) for only $9.89. That's a total of $37.38 so you save $12.62 and you have a press that can do more than decap. That's just my thoughts on the matter...

murphys_law
June 12, 2012, 07:38 AM
In my opinion there is a better way to go instead of spending $50 on a decapper. Lee sells a very inexpensive Single Stage Press (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/807734/lee-reloader-single-stage-press) for only $27.49 and a Universal Decapping Die (http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=12759) for only $9.89. That's a total of $37.38 so you save $12.62 and you have a press that can do more than decap. That's just my thoughts on the matter...

That actually is a very good option, I had no idea that there was a single stage which is so inexpensive. Now you have me checking my options again.... might also help me if I want to do any rifle ammo etc in the future.

kingmt
June 12, 2012, 09:02 AM
Are you talking about the hand press or the C press? I'm not sure the C press could do rifle sizing. The Chalanger is around $60.

jp9mm
June 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
This is what i use to decap. i also hand prime before putting them into my progressive.

In my opinion there is a better way to go instead of spending $50 on a decapper. Lee sells a very inexpensive*Single Stage Press *for only $27.49 and a*Universal Decapping Die *for only $9.89. That's a total of $37.38 so you save $12.62 and you have a press that can do more than decap. That's just my thoughts on the matter..

JohnM
June 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
I use a universal decapping die, a Lyman.
Usually went I get back in I'll deprime what I've just shot and toss the cases in their respective tubs till there's enough for a tumbler load.

I thought about getting one of those cheap cast aluminum Lee presses for such light duty jobs, but decided "why bother". Only takes a few seconds to screw that die into the press I use for everything else.

joecil
June 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
I shoot a lot of black powder and keep a Lee hand press with a Universal decapping with me when at the range. I decap and drop the brass into soap and water solution. When I get home I dry out the brass then tumble clean. Now I also use magtech brass shot gun shells and bought a couple extra pins for the Universal decapping die using them with a hammer to decap my shot shells. I use the hand press to put in new primers and a shot shell shell holder on top of the press. Works well really and if at home I use the Lee Reloader Press for this. I paid $28.98 for the Lee Hand Press and Lee Decapping Die (Universal) was $7.98 from FS Reloading.

murphys_law
June 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone who chimed in all the help is much appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand decapping/depriming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!