High cost of guns continue

PDA

hanleyfan
June 12, 2012, 01:29 AM
I have tried to sell various items on e-bay and in this economy it is near impossible even at 50% off retail, but you get on gunbroker and those crazy guys bid up these guns at outrages prices, you would think with the economy like it is guys would not have the money to spend on guns and those of us looking would get some good buys but no way of that happening.

If you enjoyed reading about "High cost of guns continue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
June 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
I heard yesterday that "the private sector is doing fine".

TennJed
June 12, 2012, 02:17 AM
Good buys are out there. got a Remington Stainless 1911 from buds for $638. Depends on what and where you are looking

moewadle
June 12, 2012, 02:28 AM
that there are good buys out there. Of course it is in the eye of the beholder I guess. A few days ago I had not checked Gun Broker for about 24 hours. I checked it for what I check and found a pretty nice looking Marlin 989M2 for bid or buy-it-now $159. This is a pretty scarce model gun and I was surprised that it had sat for sale for 24 hours with no one buying it until I did. That might not have been a steal but it was a bargain in my estimation. One has to be persistent and quickly decisive when a buy comes along.

nelson133
June 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
There are bargain, but you have to shop and you have to have the cash jump on them. At Gun Broker and such sites overpriced stuff will hang around and the deals will go quickly, so you'll see a lot of high prices at any one time.
Also the stuff that gets bid way up may not be getting legitimate bids, there is plenty of shilling going on out there.
Finally some people's business model is to wait for a sucker rather than try to move something at a reasonable price.

mgkdrgn
June 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
I have tried to sell various items on e-bay and in this economy it is near impossible even at 50% off retail, but you get on gunbroker and those crazy guys bid up these guns at outrages prices, you would think with the economy like it is guys would not have the money to spend on guns and those of us looking would get some good buys but no way of that happening.
Man, I wish somebody would tell that to the folks that -are not- bidding on my GunBroker & Auction Arms items.

oneounceload
June 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
but you get on gunbroker and those crazy guys bid up these guns at outrages prices,

I guess maybe YOU need to tell us what "outrageous" is - because if someone, ANYONE, willingly pays the asking price, then the price is not outrageous, or gouging, or a rip off.

Even in today's economy, there are a ,lot of folks doing very well financially and they are willing to pay - what is to them - a fair price for something

Texan Scott
June 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
Also have to remember that online, those prices are good nationwide... I could pick up a new 30-30 locally for less than $400 NIB, but some guy in Boston might think $500 plus shipping and FFL fees was a good deal compared to his LGS prices.

The-Reaver
June 12, 2012, 03:40 PM
Certaindeaf; It is doing just fine. =)

browningguy
June 12, 2012, 09:13 PM
Certain parts of the economy are doing just fine, I work in offshore oil and gas and we can't find engineers at nearly the rate we need them. I went to a small job fair last week specific to our industry and maybe 6-800 applicants showed up, degrees in architecture, degrees in economics, but probably 80% with no qualifications or degrees at all. Only 3 engineering degrees from all the resumes I looked at (maybe 120-130 I actually looked at).

We're looking at aerospace engineers or structural engineers to convert but can't find too many of them either although we were able to pick up 4 from some of the Nasa layoffs. Entry level for a new college grad with a structural or mechanical engineering degree is $65-70k, so come on down. You have to be willing to do actual engineering work ,and some travel may be required.

Does this look too much like a recruiting ad?

Powerglide
June 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
If a seller on GB wants to much, he doesn't get my look.Or, if the shipping is his major source of income.Period

Telekinesis
June 12, 2012, 10:43 PM
If you're patient and know where to look, you can usually find some decent deals. Unfortunately that's usually not GunBroker. Occasionally you can find something good, but for the most part it seems to be dealers posting their entire inventory. Honestly, most of the good deals I come across are on forums, and usually the smaller/more community oriented ones tend to have better deals than the larger forums. And you can always ask to negotiate a little bit to try and save a little bit more.

Browningguy, I wish I'd heard that before I'd chosen my college major. I would love to be graduating into a job market like that! Always enjoyed the sciences, but ended up going with a business degree (well, ok... several business degrees :D).

Auf Grosser Fahrt
June 12, 2012, 10:58 PM
As new Yugo SKSes with accessories for $399 at Samco.

I just did fine with that! Great price I could actually afford! Some prices out there are A-OK.

bushmaster1313
June 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
The gun in front is a 1934 Remington 31R I just got on Gunbroker for $365.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1585/cimg0972d.jpg

There are very good guns out there at very good prices, unless you want a Python.

Sheepdog1968
June 13, 2012, 02:31 AM
Just had a friend get a Winchester 94 30-30 lvr action for $130. Not sure where he got it but there are bargains out there.

JohnBT
June 13, 2012, 08:39 AM
"at very good prices, unless you want a Python."

Here you go, you just need to look and be patient. It's only up to $430 and it's a no reserve auction.

www.gunauction.com/buy/11108299/revolvers-for-sale/colt-python-.357-mag-6'-revolver

:uhoh: Click the link, I dare you. I was going to insert one of the seller's pics, but it's all or nothing, so I'll skip it.

bushmaster1313
June 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
That is a Python, but just barely.

mljdeckard
June 13, 2012, 10:25 AM
When I look at a lot of the auctions on gunbroker, I notice both the high prices.....and the lack of bids. They can list something for as high a price as they want, doesn't mean they will sell it. If you see something you want that's just too darn high, message them with an offer.

CoRoMo
June 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
...on gunbroker .. guys bid up these guns at outrages prices...
What I've never been able to understand is the penny auctions that end up above the 'Buy Now' price of another auction, same make/model.

This penny auction, 13 bids later, ended at $307+15=$322.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286707616

This priced auction ended the same day, gun did not sell at $298+20=$318.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289264283

Same pistol, same day, but the penny auction fever brought a higher price than the other that was sitting there all along waiting to be bought for less.

When I bid on a penny auction, I search around and find the lowest preset price and I don't bid beyond that. Otherwise there's no point in bidding in a penny auction.

x_wrench
June 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
also, you have to remember, anytime you are dealing with internet sales of any type, there are some people (doctors, lawyers, engineers, ceo's, etc.) that do not have the time to go out, and seriously shop around. it makes much more sense for them, to log on, bid (a ridiculous price to us working stiffs) and just pay for it. an extra $100.00 to them, is like a quarter to some of us.

rajb123
June 13, 2012, 12:33 PM
Some items are not readily availible at a LGS - like a circa 1952 Winchester 52 22lr, Anschutz target rifles, etc. For those items, gunbroker or gunsamerica is the only choice.

I don't know how to detect "shilling" activity [false bids to drive up prices] but I am sure this happens frequently. The auction cite is supposed to stop this but I suspect they don't care much.

The only way to protect against rigged bids is to decide what the maximum price you are willing to pay for an auctioned item and to bid this amount shortly before expiration. Even then, you may be a victom, so don't use these cites for items that can be had locally.

22-rimfire
June 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
I think just about everyone is feeling the effects of the economy (unless you work for the federal government) and probably are feeling directly through lower sales the results of recent unemployment %, reduced net worth revelations, and lower than hoped for new job gains monthly.

I know that I have completely stopped even going to Ebay to browse for anything and I used to be quite active buying certain kinds of items.

I am being rather selective on new firearm purchases as well other goods that relate to hobbies and interests.

surjimmy
June 14, 2012, 09:31 PM
Just keep looking, I bought a Yost-Bonitz in 99% condition for only $1000 on GB.

Certaindeaf
June 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
^
Just think, in a couple years, you might be able to get a couple cans of beans for it. Just kidding.

gym
June 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
I must say that I know of very few things that went down including guns. Just about every goods and service we use went up even though people are earning less money and are out of work.Insurance, taxes, gas, and on and on, guns made a large move and now seem to have stabalized. If you look around you can still find good deals, many folks are selling possesions that they would never sell due to money problems, local gun traders and shows are ware you may find better deals.
There are always people walking around gun shows with guns for sale. I have seen some nice deals. Shoot straight has always had good specials also, they will loose money on a gun just to take the sale from other dealers. This from other dealers.I bought at least 3 guns from them in the past 3 years. My lcp was $259 out the door 2 yrs ago, not bad, and a nice AR-m4 for $800.00 with case mags and iron sights, So there are deals out there.

If you enjoyed reading about "High cost of guns continue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!