the end is near

PDA

hardcorehunter5
June 13, 2012, 03:14 AM
Went to sportsmans warehouse today to get some basic supplies. I was there two weeks ago and today found that Winchester primers had went up $6 a brick in two weeks. That's worse then fuel prices. I not a panic buying, but this trend concerns me.

-Hardcorehunter5

If you enjoyed reading about "the end is near" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Centurian22
June 13, 2012, 03:24 AM
I'm not even into reloading yet (as I've been unable to afford the basic setup, well more like the money I would have spent on it has been reallocated to other firearms related purchases), and this still greatly concerns me. I hope it is election-year related and will come back down early next year. If not it will be all the harder to maintain my active shooting hobby, and actually 'get over the hump' and dive into reloading.

wpfontenot
June 13, 2012, 03:28 AM
This is the same thing that happened 4 years ago, just happening a little earlier

sage5907
June 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
Next time you go to Wal*Mart take a look at the food prices. You can buy a box of breakfast cereal for about $3.50. The feds like to say inflation is low but most things that the average person buys are really higher than they were just a few years ago. Probably in about the same ration as the primers. On the other hand, the feds are artificially holding interest rates down which is bad for people who own bonds. The bond market is the real barometer to the coming inflation. When the bond market interest rates goes up in the future inflation will really get going. All the printed money the feds are pumping into the economy to pay for medicare, medicade and student loans is the big enemy to the average joe. BW

larryflew
June 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
LGS has the increase on both primers (also about $6 and no CCI available for months) and powder (about the same)

gahunter12
June 13, 2012, 02:06 PM
Prices here in Ga have been steady since atleast last October. I picked up my bi-weekly 5000 primers last Friday on the way home from work at my local reloading supply shop. He sells 1000 SPP or LPP from CCI, or Win for $28 out the door or 5000 for $137 out the door.

MtnCreek
June 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
Next time you go to Wal*Mart take a look at the food prices. You can buy a box of breakfast cereal for about $3.50. The feds like to say inflation is low but most things that the average person buys are really higher than they were just a few years ago.
Some time ago, someone decided it would look better if they removed many of the consumables from the list and called it core inflation. That way food prices, fuel prices, . can go through the roof and they can stand there with a straight face and say inflation is in check.

Edit to stay on topic: I'm stocked up on most of what I need. :)

armoredman
June 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
5000 primers bi-weekly? Wow. I buy 5000 primers once a year!

rajb123
June 13, 2012, 02:44 PM
....food and fuel prices have been removed from the CPI during the Clinton's (Bill and Hill) era. This was done to ensure that low inflation would be measured and that was fueled by a need to reduce the cash outflows for SS which is periodically indexed to inflation.

During hte last few years my food and energy prices have doubled but you would not know this from the published CPI.

loading supplies are headed higher. ...much higher.

Otto
June 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
Went to sportsmans warehouse today to get some basic supplies. I was there two weeks ago and today found that Winchester primers had went up $6 a brick in two weeks.
Sportsman's Warehouse price gouging is hardly an economic indicator of anything.

Certaindeaf
June 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
^
Father's day is coming up. Gotta rake it in when you can I guess.

gamestalker
June 13, 2012, 04:25 PM
I have noticed that Walmart is seemingly allowing their sheves to run very low, and often even empty in the grocery areas. I'm a long time retail manager and know how this proces works, it's called supply and demand. So if a massive retail outlet, such as Wally World, can imply that their is a larger demand than available supply, retail prices can be increased with the average person not relaizing it has been created, and not a real ratio related effect. It is clearly evident after walking into other chain grocery retailers like Fry's, Albertsons and others, and seeing that their shelves are in good inventory condition that supports my opinion. Reloading and ammunition supply and demand isn't consistent with grocery and other average consumer product supply and demand. People like us reloaders and active recreational shooters, will react to political projections, thus driving prices up when we panic and clear the sheves.

Back during the Clinton administration I was in the sporting goods retail business and saw people coming in from hundreds of miles away, and some from across country that were clearing the shelves of virtually everything firearm related.

As for my local reloading shops including Walmart, I am not seeing this panic effect as yet. Prices are stable and reasonable, and inventory is in good shape too.

GS

cfullgraf
June 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
And the clowns in Washington keep saying there is no inflation.

ranger335v
June 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
"The feds like to say inflation is low but most things that the average person buys are really higher than they were just a few years ago."

You may have noticed: the "feds" lie. Especially Dem feds.

Right now they are including historically low mortgage rates to off-set the higher prices on everything else. And mortgage rates would be as out of sight as they were in Carter days if not fot the fact our feds are still funneling rivers of pretend and borrowed money into the gaping vaults of our really big banks. Meaning as a nation we're paying huge on mortages too but it's hidden from the public's easy sight and our dominant "news media" won't expose it for BO's sake.

greenlion
June 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
That is not inflation. It is price gouging. If we all boycott Sportsman's Warehouse for a month or so, I bet the "inflation" would suddenly disappear.

Walkalong
June 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
Off topic.

If you enjoyed reading about "the end is near" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!