Ruger LC9

PDA

Wildbillz
June 13, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hi All
I was at the fun shop the other week and saw one of these. I like the size and feel of it. Anyone have any experances with it good or bad? Looks like it might be just the ticket for a small carry pistol?

WB

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LC9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Scott Farkus
June 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
I've been seriously considering one myself. I would advise you to find a place that will let you dry fire one first. A salesman at one of my LGS's encouraged me to do so to demonstrate just how long the trigger pull is. It's LONG. I like the feel of the gun but that's close to a deal breaker for me. I'm waiting to hold an M&P Shield before making a final decision.

ponchsox
June 13, 2012, 02:32 PM
I ended up selling mine and getting a Shield. The LC9 was reliable but I just couldn't get used the mile long trigger pull. I also wasn't a fan of the loaded chamber indicator or magazine disconnect.

M2 Carbine
June 13, 2012, 02:48 PM
I impulse bought one. In the first 8 days I put over a thousand trouble free rounds through it. I stopped counting at 1,700 rounds but a good guess is the gun now has over 1,800. Still not the first problem.

I pocket carry it when I can.

I like to plink with it at 52 yards.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC952imissyardtarget.jpg

I can live with the trigger, thumb safety and loaded chamber indicator but I hate magazine disconnectors, so I removed it.

I like the gun so well I bought a spare.

basicblur
June 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
You might also consider the SHIELD before you buy-it's slightly bigger, but it sure does feel good in my hand (good enough that it was an impulse buy, and I don't do impulse buying)! :banghead:

I have both, and despite all the hullabaloo over the SHIELD trigger, I think I kinda like the LC9 trigger better.
Yeah, it's long, but it's smooth, it's metal, and you can tell what it's doing all through the trigger stroke. The SHIELD may have a "crisp" internal trigger mechanism, but that darn articulated / plastic trigger makes the whole thing feel spongy to me.
'Course, I grew up with DA revolvers, so long trigger pulls never really bothered me.

It's based on your hand size, but the SHIELD feels better than the LC9 in my hand, but the downside for that is it is slightly bigger in the grip area than the LC9.

Bad things 'bout the SHIELD: I prefer all black magazines for CC (they are more discreet if on a belt pouch) and the 8-rd magazine spacer is not quite ready for prime time (poor design).
I'm also buggin' the crap outta Pearce Grips to make a finger rest for the SHIELD 7-rd mag.

EDIT: FWIW, SHIELD vs LC9 at the range - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlyX77mSJDc
SHIELD vs. LC9 Size / Feature Comparison - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES4j0ix-NGA&feature=related

marb4
June 13, 2012, 05:41 PM
I was recently considering the LC9 as well. Ended up going with the Kahr CM9. Better price than the Ruger and a little smaller. The trigger on the Kahr is fantastic. Very smooth not overly long pull. I have around 1000 rounds through mine with no problems to speak of. Plenty accurate for a pocket pistol and though small is comfortable in my larger than average hands.

jimbo555
June 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
My lc9 has been perfect approx.600rounds,I added a rubber sleeve to inprove the grip and a stainless steel guiderod to replace the plastic,not because I had a problem but I feel better with the steel.The trigger is better than the revolvers I have that the lc9 replaces(s&w m37,colt detective special).

gym
June 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
Mine is terrific for what I got it for. it's an inexpensive pocket carry back up gun.It has a good laser and holds sufficient ammo, and is one of the few 9's that will fit in your front pocket. No problems thus far.

RBid
June 14, 2012, 04:07 PM
I carried an LC9 for a bit. While I had it, I put 350 rounds through it. 150 Blazer 124 gr aluminum case, 100 Federal 115 gr FMJ, 100 Winchester White Box 115 gr FMJ. It had zero malfunctions.

I loved the reliability, the very solid feel, and the ergonomics.

I HATE the trigger. I could never get used to the pull. For perspective's sake: I had a significantly easier time being accurate with a Kel Tec PF-9, which also has a long, DAO trigger pull. Double action on a CZ 75BD is also not an issue for me.

I can not imagine trying to deploy an LC9 in a self defense situation, and firing quickly, with one hand, while moving.

While the trigger was a huge turnoff for me, that pistol made me a believer in Ruger products. After carrying a Kel Tec PF-9 (Perpetual Failure 9?), and dealing with the fact that it didn't want to eject anything, I went back to Ruger. I now carry an SR9c, with which I am VERY happy.

jimbo555
June 14, 2012, 06:39 PM
For me,going from revolvers to the lc9, the trigger feels smooth!Also it gets better the more you use it!

gym
June 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
Went today, from 25 to 75 feet, using the laser, I cut a hole in the target near center. I was blown away. I never aimed through the sights, I tuned the laser to cover the front sight at 35 feet. I shot it from the hip chest level and one handed in both hands, on the 100 yard "sight in" rifle targets, "i had a new pack" I was able to take out the 4 corners at 50 and 75 feet using the laser. It has a long pull, but who cares in a carry gun. It now has 300 rounds ,no failures of any kind. I shot it better than my EMP in 40.

KAS1981
June 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
Over 500 trouble-free rounds through mine.

It did shoot very low out of the box, Ruger replaced the front sight and it's been right on ever since.

The trigger is very long, but smooth & light. I got used to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LC9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!