Slim Glock

PDA

BugOut
June 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
I know about the G36, but will glock ever make a single stack 9 or 40? I would soo get one of both.

If you enjoyed reading about "Slim Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
June 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
It is hard to predict someone else's actions, but IMO they would be foolish to ignore the market for small - but not too small - slim pistols. Surely someone over there is looking at the success of, for example, the M&P Shield and thinking, "Hey, we should get into this."

C0untZer0
June 13, 2012, 11:39 PM
Only if there is a big LEA or military contract for one.

So probably - No

hAkron
June 13, 2012, 11:44 PM
Kahrs are kind of like slim Glocks

Snaps
June 14, 2012, 03:46 AM
Glock to me has always seemed like they don't really care about individual sales, but more LE dept sales. So unless somebody wants a single stack gun, in large numbers... Probably not.:(

I'd love to have a 1911 sized .45ACP Glock.

jfrey
June 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
S&W beat 'em to it. It's called the Shield. Too bad Glock didn't listen to the U.S. market.

jehicks87
June 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
The Wierd thing about the g36 is its jot a "true" single stack magazine... The rounds still stagger slightly. Idk why they did that...

F-111 John
June 14, 2012, 01:09 PM
The Wierd thing about the g36 is its jot a "true" single stack magazine... The rounds still stagger slightly. Idk why they did that...

That's exactly what S&W did with the M&P Shield.

group17
June 14, 2012, 04:52 PM
"Kahrs are kind of like slim Glocks."

PUt a PM/CM 9 next to a Glock 26 and you will see the resemblance instantly.

Loosedhorse
June 14, 2012, 05:23 PM
I know about the G36, but will glock ever make a single stack 9 or 40?At this point, if they did they might need to worry about infringing on the Walther PPS patents...

Or the S&W Shield "trade dress." Wouldn't that be sweet payback. :evil:

dogtown tom
June 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
The Lone Haranguer It is hard to predict someone else's actions, but IMO they would be foolish to ignore the market for small - but not too small - slim pistols. Surely someone over there is looking at the success of, for example, the M&P Shield and thinking, "Hey, we should get into this."
Glock is behind on 500,000+ firearm orders......they aren't missing anything.

WRGADog
June 14, 2012, 06:21 PM
When it comes to slim 9mm or 40 cal pistols, it is very hard to beat the Walther PPS.

JustinJ
June 14, 2012, 07:16 PM

Minus the reliability.

engineer88
June 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
Love my Glock 36, I carry it every day. That said a shield in 9mm and 40SW are on my short list, like number 2 and 3 behind one other handgun. They are that good.

sidheshooter
June 21, 2012, 05:26 PM
Anyone else just giving up on old Gaston completely, and saving money for the almost certainly-upcoming XDs in 9mm instead?

Based on the currently ongoing run on the .45 acp version, it might be a while, but I'm willing to wait for it.

1911austin
June 21, 2012, 06:24 PM
I talked with a Glock rep a few weeks ago. They are so far behind production to expect anything new for awhile.

Armed 24/7
June 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
Minus the reliability.
This is very true in my experience. Kahr unreliability vs. Glock Reliability =No comparison.

academy
June 22, 2012, 01:53 AM
Again, I have to third the PPS. Why would you need a slim Glock when Walther already built exactly what you're looking for?

JR24
June 22, 2012, 02:06 AM
If you can handle a manual safety the Ruger SR9c is pretty much a slim Glock.

ChCx2744
June 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
If they came out with a single stack 9mm, I'd jump on that.

Fishbed77
June 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
Walther already makes it and calls it the PPS, and it's a better pistol than Glock would build anyway!

dogtown tom
June 22, 2012, 02:30 PM
academy Again, I have to third the PPS. Why would you need a slim Glock when Walther already built exactly what you're looking for?
IMHO a mag release has no business being a part of the trigger guard.
Thats just stupid, unsafe and for me unergonomic. YMMV.

NG VI
June 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
I kind of think the Glock 26 is an outstanding enough small pistol that I really wouldn't want anything smaller. Any smaller and it might not shoot like a regular service pistol anymore.

And it's only an inch and a fifth wide anyway, if you're carrying in any reasonable IWB holster you shouldn't have any trouble with them at all. If you insist on an MTAC (love them, but they are a little bulky for a gun as small as the 26) or some other thick holster, then yes, the Glock is a little chunky.

If you get it a decent thin or ultra-thin Kydex holster like it deserves, it's the easiest pistol to carry in the world unless you want a gun so small it's hard to draw.

rcmodel
June 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
If they came out with a single stack 9mm, I'd jump on that. The S&W Shield in 9mm or .40 S&W is going to be really hard for Glock to ever outdo!!

If you can get past not having a hood ornament that says Glock on it?
The S&W Shield is the better gun all the Glock fanboys are wringing their hands and waiting to happen that won't.

rc

houstsx
June 22, 2012, 09:42 PM
This is very true in my experience. Kahr unreliability vs. Glock Reliability =No comparison.

Over 1500 rds through my PM9 and I have only had 1 FTF using steel cased ammo. Never had a single cycling issue. It seems like some people have bad luck with Kahr but given my experience, for a <1lb, single stack 9mm that is rated for +p, you can't beat it.

NG VI
June 22, 2012, 09:44 PM
Honestly the hinged trigger kind of weirds me out. The Glock safety bar can't really break in a way that prevents the gun from being useable, what happens if the hinge pin on the M&P-type guns comes out?

I bet it's not happened more than a couple of times since the Sigma came out with that arrangement, I just think too hard.

Seven High
June 22, 2012, 09:55 PM
I'd really be happy if Glock would produce a 22lr conversion unit for their semiautos. Beings as how they are 500000 behind in production, that ain't going to happen either!

NG VI
June 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
That's something CZ has down better than anyone else I think. Love the Kadet.

rcmodel
June 22, 2012, 10:33 PM
what happens if the hinge pin on the M&P-type guns comes out?Same thing that happens if a trigger pin or locking block pin falls out of a Glock probably.

I have heard of that happening about as many times as a S&W M&P trigger safety pin falling out.

Never.

rc

NG VI
June 22, 2012, 10:48 PM
About as often as I expected. A guy in a gunshop early on in the M&P life used it as a point of contention.

Since then I've still never heard anyone else have the same concern, or heard of it occurring in real life.

Fishbed77
June 22, 2012, 11:18 PM

You obviously have ZERO real experience with the Walther/H&K style magazine release.

What is unsafe is having to draw a firearm in an emergency situation only to find that the magazine stayed in your holster because the grip-mounted release has accidentally depressed and dropped your mag.

Browns Fan
June 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
There is a slim glock. It is called the caracal, and it's still a double stack mag. It even has a better outta the box trigger.

dogtown tom
June 23, 2012, 12:07 AM
Fishbed77 Quote:
You obviously have ZERO real experience with the Walther/H&K style magazine release.
Nope. (Unless +/-300 rounds through a PPS counts as "real experience" :rolleyes:)

I've run close to 2,000 rounds through HK's and have no problem with their design because its different than the PPS.
Unergonomic & unsafe= stupid design IMHO. As I said YMMV.

What is unsafe is having to draw a firearm in an emergency situation only to find that the magazine stayed in your holster because the grip-mounted release has accidentally depressed and dropped your mag.
Seriously?:scrutiny:
Thats poor holster design/choice......not the gun.

Impureclient
June 23, 2012, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Minus the reliability.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=574503&stc=1&d=1296504545

Reliably kaboomy? Yeah, not enough Kahrs out there exploding in the hand.

Snag
June 23, 2012, 12:57 AM

I like to think of it as Glock's are kind of like fat Kahr's.

I'd be interested if Glock made a single stack in 40. It would also be neat to try one that was single stack and metal frame, but then that wouldn't really be a Glock anymore.

GCBurner
June 23, 2012, 01:05 AM
I'd really be happy if Glock would produce a 22lr conversion unit for their semiautos. Beings as how they are 500000 behind in production, that ain't going to happen either!
.22 conversion units for various Glock models are available from other manufacturers besides Glock. The Advantage Arms .22 conversion I got for my G30 is very, very accurate.

tarosean
June 23, 2012, 01:26 AM
too many good options out there to worry about one particular manufacturer not making something...

jfrey
June 23, 2012, 01:32 AM
I have a G19 and G36, as well as a Shield. From my experience, the Shield is going to put a real dent in small Glock sales for concealed carry. The 26 and 27 will print under a normal shirt. The Shield completely disappears even OWB. If the Shield holds up over time, S&W has found a real winner.

Fishbed77
June 23, 2012, 09:22 AM
Unergonomic & unsafe= stupid design IMHO. As I said YMMV.

Try as I might, I have yet to find one shred of evidence that anyone has ever caused a ND using the Walther/H&K style magazine release.

If you find this style to be "stupid" and "unsafe" I seriously recommend that you evaluate your firearm-handling habits. No one said it had to be your favorite (that's why there are other options out there), but to call them "unsafe" is pure baloney.

Soldiernurse
June 24, 2012, 12:43 PM
Going to the Range today. Have not fired my newly purchased PPQ 40 4" or M&P Shield 40. I can say my Shield is the perfect size for IWB CCW. I've worn a white t-shirt (not tucked, of course) over my Shield.

I sold my Glock 26 d/t blocky & grip not for me. However, if Glock came out with a slim version of the 26 or 27 I'd be very interested.

spotch
June 24, 2012, 12:48 PM
You keep telling yourself that ;)

/owns no glocks

ColdDayInHell
July 6, 2012, 05:12 PM
Kahrs are good firearms but Glock has them beat with reliability. When cops start issuing Kahr PM9's or PM40's for backup maybe then people will depend on those guns.

I just got my Glock 36 and love it. It fits absolutely perfect in my hand. Once I get the Pearce plus zero extension to add grooves for my pinky, it will shoot even better.

tarosean
July 6, 2012, 06:25 PM
Kahrs are good firearms but Glock has them beat with reliability. When cops start issuing Kahr PM9's or PM40's for backup maybe then people will depend on those guns.

Choices due to economics and other political reasons should not influence your choices.

I have no dog in this fight as i don't actually care for either weapon.

Urban_Redneck
July 6, 2012, 08:57 PM
There is a slim glock. It is called the caracal, and it's still a double stack mag. It even has a better outta the box trigger.

http://www.caracal.ae/new/caracal-sc.php#usage-tab

Supposed to be released Fall 2012..................

Sox
July 7, 2012, 01:15 PM
Just wait for the Caracal Subcompact due out this fall.

It is the width of a PPS, but holds 13 rounds in the mag. Basically, a slimmer G26 with the same mag capacity.

Beat em at their own game. No way Glock can compete with that. There guns can never be as narrow, unless they use metal magazines. The Glock polymer seems to be thicker than it needs to be when compared to other designs.

Dave

dprice3844444
July 7, 2012, 01:20 PM
I'd really be happy if Glock would produce a 22lr conversion unit for their semiautos. Beings as how they are 500000 behind in production, that ain't going to happen either

seven hig,google glock 22 conversions

PabloJ
July 7, 2012, 01:22 PM
I tend to think the Caracal is most aesthetically pleasing and advanced pistol out there. I passed on it because while Glock has resale value of Honda the Caracal has resale or trade value of Ford or Chevy.:barf:

coalman
July 7, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'd be pleasantly suprised. Glock forgot what the word innovation meant long ago. This would show they remembered.

briang2ad
July 8, 2012, 04:17 PM
My PM 9 has proven VERY reliable - bought it used in new condition.

But... if Glock had a single stacked 9mm, I'd have gone with it first...

ColdDayInHell
July 8, 2012, 04:25 PM
The Glock has been proven for excellence and retains its value and performance. I have a 1st gen 17 (the first Glock ever made) and have a Glock 36. They are basically the same internals and locking mechanism. The design is almost flawless and more than 70% of US law enforcement carry Glocks. I am not a diehard Glock fan and actually like Rugers myself but I would give a Glock a solid look.

Girodin
July 9, 2012, 01:15 PM

NYPD issued K9s for many years.

Having been involved with some govt procurement projects I know that that the govt is often considering a number of factors that really don't matter in the least to individual purchasers. I would not base my interest in any particular gun too much on whether or not some police agency uses them. Much as I don't think I need a Charger because that is what all the cops around here drive. Not only are there IMHO better cars I can get, there are also many cars that simply fit my needs much better.

I passed on it because while Glock has resale value of Honda the Caracal has resale or trade value of Ford or Chevy.

Seeing as caracals are fairly new and I have never even seen a used one for sale, I'll have to take your word for it. Personally, I wouldn't sweat whatever difference there might be in resale value. First, I rarely sale guns I buy. Beyond that though, the Caracal is pretty inexpensive at $400. Its not as if one has much money wrapped up in it anyways.

Moreover, I really doubt there is much resale difference, if any, in favor of the glock. I would guess one could sale a Caracal used very easily for $300. Glocks sale new around here for $550 (online they are like $500 so with shipping ans transfer fee it will be close to that too). I regularly see used glocks listed locally for $400. That means the used ones go for roughly 73% of the original price. Like I say I highly doubt you couldn't sale a Caracal for $300 (if I saw a used one for that I'd snatch it up very quickly) which is roughly the same percentage of its original price as what used glocks go for. So I don't really buy that there is some huge resale advantage to the glock. And again given the absolute figures we are talking about it is not enough money to worry about not simply getting the gun you prefer even if there was a difference.

PabloJ
July 9, 2012, 01:22 PM
I know about the G36, but will glock ever make a single stack 9 or 40? I would soo get one of both.

No.

Bovice
July 9, 2012, 01:34 PM
The reason glock makes double stack sub compacts is so they can be used as backup weapons which can accept the primary pistol's magazines.

FMF Doc
July 9, 2012, 08:05 PM
I doubt it. One of the bigest adgantages frequently toted about glocks is that they have a good weight to firepower ratio, and magazine inter-changability. A slim or single stacked glock would negatively impact both of those aspets. It reminds me of a Porche. The only (or used to only) come in manual transmission. If you didn't drive stick, you didn't drive a Proche. I kind of see Glock the same way. They change very little and only when after extensive reearch and time and if they deem it necessary. Look how long the Gen 3 stayed they same before the Gen 4. The whole world of polymer pistols changed in that time, but glock stayed the same. I don't drink the "Glock Perfection" Kool-Aide, but don't seem much that needs changing either. It works for millions of people every day.

MoreIsLess
July 9, 2012, 08:31 PM
My next carry gun will be a M&P Shield or PPS

If you enjoyed reading about "Slim Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!