New Style HRTRS Brass, Heads up !

PDA

blarby
June 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
Got a bunch of these prospecting the other day.

Just a heads up : When they De-Cap, about half of the primer cups break clean in half.

Makes it look like a SPP 45 acp- its not. They are large.

Weird.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Style HRTRS Brass, Heads up !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hogpauls
June 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
I hate crimped pistol brass. :fire:

FROGO207
June 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
I have not run into any of those yet but did you check to see if they were steel cases. I am hearing a lot of the Herters stuff is indeed brass washed steel cased ammo. If that's the case that may be why the rims are not coming out of the crimped pocket well.

Hogpauls
June 16, 2012, 08:25 PM
I've picked up a number of the Herter's and thought the same until I did the ol' magnet test. Much to my surprise the cases did not stick.

ljnowell
June 16, 2012, 10:05 PM
I have some S&W nickel brass in 357 that does this. No matter the primer brand. If I leave them assembled, either shot or not for more than a month or two the primers come out that way.

medalguy
June 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
I had the same problem with a 5 gallon bucket of freshly fired Federal .45 cases a friend in the local PD gave me last year. I never did figure out what the problem was but I solved the probem by just scrapping the whole lot. About 25% of the primers separated just like yours. No more Federal brass for me, thank you.

Peter M. Eick
June 17, 2012, 03:01 PM
They got wet or soaked.

If the brass sits in water with the primer in long enough you get corrosion between the primer and the brass and it seizes the primer to the brass. No amount of tumbling will fix the problem.

Once it happens, toss the brass.

blarby
June 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
They are brass, not steel.

They are most certainly not crimped.

The remnants of the primers can be cut-out very easily on the RCBS trim-mate using the LPP cutter.

Again, just wanted to throw the heads up out there.

Had about 50 of them- they aren't corroded...not sure if its a cheap primer or what, but its not un-fixable.

ljnowell
June 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
LIke I said, I have had it happen in large amounts with S&W brass, they were most definately not corroded either. However it only happened to me with nickel plated.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Style HRTRS Brass, Heads up !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!