What Handgun does Masaad Ayoob Carry?

PDA

TrailWolf
June 15, 2012, 12:27 AM
Just curious. Searched and could not find.

What gun does Mr. Ayoob personally tend to carry for defensive purposes most?

If you enjoyed reading about "What Handgun does Masaad Ayoob Carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
June 15, 2012, 12:30 AM
You might be surprised how many times this has come up:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=384040
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=447122
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=501096

hso
June 15, 2012, 12:45 AM
He's a member here so you could just PM him.

pikid89
June 15, 2012, 12:59 AM
I met him at an Appleseed once and saw him pull out a Spyderco Massad Ayoob Knife

TrailWolf
June 15, 2012, 01:07 AM
You might be surprised how many times this has come up:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=384040
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=447122
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=501096
Hasn't been a new one in 2.5 years :)

I will send him a PM and see what happens...

Alaska444
June 15, 2012, 01:46 AM
Sounds like he has truly answered this issue several times over.

Hk Dan
June 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
I've seen Mas carry an HK45, a GLOCK 27, and a GLOCK 23 within 3 days. I don't believe that he has one single carry gun, but prefers to mix it up.

skeeziks
June 15, 2012, 02:32 PM
On more than 1 occasion I've read in 1 of his articles how in the course of 1-week he carried 3 different pistols.

Different situations call for different weapon choices.

Certaindeaf
June 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Isn't he a gun writer from way back? What gun doesn't he probably carry in the course of doing his business..

Trebor
June 15, 2012, 02:51 PM
Isn't he a gun writer?

Yep, as a gun writer and trainer Mas really switches out his carry pistols a lot. Sometimes he's testing a gun, sometimes he's revisiting a gun to try something for an article on a specific technique, and sometimes he's using a gun to more closely match what he's student's are using. (He recently mentioned switching from a revolver to an auto in a recent class when he realized absolutely none of his students in that class were running a revolver).

Certaindeaf
June 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
^
Perfectly understandable.

35Rem
June 15, 2012, 03:22 PM
From what I've read, he really likes the Glock 27, and it's ability to use the bigger 23 and 22 mags.

His duty weapon in NH is a Ruger P345

SharpsDressedMan
June 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
If he is like a lot of us, he just can't make up his mind. We love them all!

pearsonm
June 15, 2012, 06:43 PM
I searched myself a while back. I remember a Ruger P-Series. Of the books and articles I've read I get the impression he's a .45 guy. It's certainly hard to argue with the ballistics.

twofifty
June 15, 2012, 06:49 PM
I searched myself a while back. I remember a Ruger P-Series. Of the books and articles I've read I get the impression he's a .45 guy. It's certainly hard to argue with the ballistics.
Yet somehow we manage to do so day in, day out. ;-)

pearsonm
June 15, 2012, 07:05 PM

Give two males two mechanical devices and you have an instant arms race. It applies to firearms, vehicles..barbeque grills..

PT92
June 15, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure but I am about to find out thanks to the provided links. That being said and not to date Mr. Ayoob, but I have been a follower of his since I was a teenager (now 46 so that will tell you something). I remember buying the gun magazines and reading anything related to him, in particular, his in depth terminal ballistic tests.

I am going to have to contact Mr. Ayoob and see what it takes to get a cherished autographed photo? I have a great location above my mantle where I can place it right next to the late great Charlton Heston Photo.

Of late, my favorite segment of the very good program "Personal Defense" is I believe called 'Action Plan' featuring Mr. Ayoob. Good edifying TV which is rare these days...

-Cheers

youngda9
June 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
Whatever he happens to be writing about at the time. He switches it up a lot with his own stuff as well.

PT92
June 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonm

^^^LOL^^^ Well played ;).

-Cheers

FIVETWOSEVEN
June 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
I've read that he prefers the Glock 30 overall. I thought he moved out of NH, what department is he with?

ArfinGreebly
June 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
When Mas was out here (CdA, Idaho) in 2007 he was carrying a Glock. In .45 ACP, IIRC.

I got to meet him and audit the LFI-1 course (the parts I had time for).

I even picked up some pointers from his assistant, Bob Smith.

So, the answer to the question -- at least for the fall of 2007 -- is Glock.

bds
June 16, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hasn't been a new one in 2.5 years

I will send him a PM and see what happens...
His last post was March 2, 2012 and while he doesn't participate in THR forums regularly, he does drop by from time to time - http://www.thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=10281347

I once PM'd him about a thread that misquoted/misrepresented his statements/comments and to my surprise, he PM'd me back. Even though he was being trashed/disrespected, he was polite about it with a "no one's perfect" attitude - showed a lot of character in my book.

He runs his own training program and I am sure he is busy with that venture - http://massadayoobgroup.com/

IIRC, he used to favor Glock 30 some time back, not sure what he is carrying now.

chanroc
June 16, 2012, 04:33 AM
Sounds like he switched out his Glock, for a 1911 (as of June 4th) -
http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2012/06/04/tradition-versus-efficiency/

massad ayoob
June 16, 2012, 05:54 AM
Still on 1911 this week, switching between Colt CCO and Springfield Range Officer. Celebrating diversity and all that...:D

spikedzombies
June 16, 2012, 06:32 AM
Still on 1911 this week, switching between Colt CCO and Springfield Range Officer. Celebrating diversity and all that...:D

You should tote around a desert eagle for a day or 2 lol, I mean you don't want to discriminate against other guns hahah

"Sent via my own personal defense satellite"

jmr40
June 16, 2012, 07:02 AM
From reading his articles he really has used a lot of different guns. I've read of him carying Beretta's, Glocks, 1911's, and Rugers. I get the feeling that he has a special fondness for Glock and Ruger, but he is probably like me and his tastes may change from time to time.

I'm paraphrasing here, but he was once asked what he considered the best $2,000+ 45 ACP. His answer was a used Volkswagen with a G-30 in the glovebox.

bds
June 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
To: XXX <XXX@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:38 AM
Subject: RE: THR forum question on what pistol Mas is carrying

Thanks, John. Am carrying a Colt CCO at the moment, but me being a gun slut and all, that could change by day's end...

best,
Mas

Sounds like he switched out his Glock, for a 1911 (as of June 4th)

From the link - http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2012/06/04/tradition-versus-efficiency/
TRADITION VERSUS EFFICIENCY

After months of carrying one or another Glock, I recently went back to my old favorite 1911 .45 for a while, if only because I missed it. It’s not just about tradition and nostalgia. It’s about habituation, too. I’ve been shooting Glocks off and on for 25 years…but I’ve been shooting 1911s for more than half a century. A hoary cliché seems appropriate here: “It fits like the handshake of an old friend.”

Do you ever find yourself putting the modern, high-efficiency firearm back in the safe or the gun case, and heading out to the range or the field with something more “traditional” instead?

mljdeckard
June 16, 2012, 10:29 PM
He says that with all of the guns he has, he usually carries whatever the department he is working for is issuing at any given time. He has also said that he probably isn't a great example for this, because he is always changing guns to try new things and whenever he moves or the department changes. It is better to pick one you can run well and stick with it.

bds
June 17, 2012, 01:44 AM
It is better to pick one you can run well and stick with it.
OP didn't ask what was the best pistol for us to carry but was curious what Massad Ayoob carries. Looks like he carries whatever he feels like carrying.
What Handgun does Masaad Ayoob Carry? Just curious

mljdeckard, yes I would agree with you that carry choice is personal and subject to how well you shoot it with your hands.

GCBurner
June 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
He comes up for IDPA matches in Jacksonville fairly often, mostly shooting some sort of .45 Auto Custom Defensive Pistol, for which he is rated in the Master class. He has switched around guns and holster rigs from time to time to try out things for review in his columns.

TrailWolf
June 17, 2012, 04:53 PM
From the link - http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2012/06/04/tradition-versus-efficiency/
Thank you for the responses and, bds, the definitive answer.

:)

Owen Sparks
June 17, 2012, 08:36 PM
Back in the 1990's he seemed to have a fetish for 2" .357 flame throwers.

rcmodel
June 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
I imagine Mas is like every other gun writer.

He carries whatever the manufacture sends him to test that month.

Or maybe he is more like Chuck Norris.

He carries whatever he damn well wants to carry that day.

rc

seeker_two
June 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
Still on 1911 this week, switching between Colt CCO and Springfield Range Officer. Celebrating diversity and all that... :D

I'm going with this answer..... :D

Elm Creek Smith
June 18, 2012, 01:54 PM
IIRC, a number of years ago when all the other gun writers were politicking for the latest and greatest this, that, or the other (double stack 9's, custom .45's, Glocks, ParaOrdnance, Kimber, etc.), Mas suggested in at least one article that most people would best be served by a good, 4 inch revolver in .38 Special or .357 Magnum. I guess I took that to heart since I now have more 4 inch revolvers in .38/.357 than anything else.

ECS

Ogreon
June 19, 2012, 02:45 AM
I'm going with this answer..... :D

As if he would know what he's carrying.

Personally, I only carry the ones that can't walk...and none of them seem willing to learn.

PT92
June 19, 2012, 07:33 AM
IIRC, a number of years ago when all the other gun writers were politicking for the latest and greatest this, that, or the other (double stack 9's, custom .45's, Glocks, ParaOrdnance, Kimber, etc.), Mas suggested in at least one article that most people would best be served by a good, 4 inch revolver in .38 Special or .357 Magnum. I guess I took that to heart since I now have more 4 inch revolvers in .38/.357 than anything else.

ECS
I'm not a revolver guy but I can't disagree with this theory as a 'good' revolver is as reliable as clockwork and IMO does not have as much of a 'learning curve' for your average shooter. I would guess that the majority of people who either ccw/pd/hd are those that shoot perhaps once a year? That being said, I would not CCW with one absent an extreme proficiency with corresponding speed-loaders.

-Cheers

Elm Creek Smith
June 19, 2012, 07:34 PM
PT92 posted: I'm not a revolver guy but I can't disagree with this theory as a 'good' revolver is as reliable as clockwork and IMO does not have as much of a 'learning curve' for your average shooter. I would guess that the majority of people who either ccw/pd/hd are those that shoot perhaps once a year? That being said, I would not CCW with one absent an extreme proficiency with corresponding speed-loaders.

I have to qualify semiannually, and, to keep my skills up, I shoot the qualification at least monthly. I also practice with my snubbies, reloading with SpeedStrips, shooting the same qualification course. With my duty revolver, a S&W 686-6, and my personal S&W 10-5, S&W 681, and 3 inch S&W 13-3, I can shoot 100% around half the time with 92% being my nadir. With the snubbies, I usually shoot in the low to mid 90%'s.

I practice reloads with dummy rounds at home about three times a week from the speedloaders and the SpeedStrips. I can't just throw the reloads at the guns like Jerry Miculek, but I'm steady.

ECS

If you enjoyed reading about "What Handgun does Masaad Ayoob Carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!