Info on L.N.L AP

PDA

sean eady
June 15, 2012, 09:10 PM
So I got my new press and set everything up. All is ok but I am seeing a variance of up to .013 max and .005 average on the seating station. Is this normal on the LNL press? I can see the shell plate for lack of a better word "flex" when a case is run up. Yes its tight and so is the die. It just looks like it is in the design. I didn't expect the tight tolerances I am used to with a single stage press but isn't .013 a little much? All the rounds fit fine in the magazine and barrel of the gun they will be fired from but was concerned if accuracy will suffer from having this big of an OAL difference.

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on L.N.L AP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blue68f100
June 15, 2012, 09:54 PM
Congrats on your new LNL.

What round are you reloading? I normally avg around 0.003" on pistol ammo (9mm, 45acp) with all stations loaded. You get more if only running 1 round through at a time. 0.013" is a little large. How are you measuring your length with calipers? You can get 0.003-0.005 just from bullet variation. These small variation normally do not impact accuracy.

Otto
June 15, 2012, 09:59 PM
.005 average on the seating station.
That's nothing to stress about.

Tip: when seating, it helps when the other 4 stations are populated.

sean eady
June 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
Thank you , and 9mm was the choice for tonight. Between setting up the stand , press and finally figuring out the RCBS lock out die I was able to run 200 rounds but there was ALOT of tinkering and getting used to things in the middle. I did have times when all stations were not being used , so I guess I will just get a little better aquainted with everything and go from there. I can already see the order being placed for the auto case feeder before the weekend is over. Really big difference going from single stage to progressive..... There is a whole lot going on there at one time.

kingmt
June 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
That is nothing to worry about. Congratulatetions on the new press. Watch the powder measure.

clocker
June 16, 2012, 03:07 AM
I noticed similar variations the first time with my LNL too. After some tinkering and thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that most of the OAL variations came from the bullets and where they met the concave seater die. Just getting ready to load some 40 S&W FP bullets and I was planning on running both the flat stem and concave stem to compare.

eam3clm@att.net
June 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
.013 is a little on the high side. Are you resizing as you reload and what bullet are you using? When you set the dies in the LNL I have found it best to have a case in every station that does some work. If you are resizing as you load the sizer die seems to have the biggest impact on the seater die. The press's carrier has some freeplay for everything to run smoothly and if you get to a point that there is no case in a certin station, you lose what ever effect that station had on the process. My col does change without a case in the sizing station vs having a case in it. From your post I believe that you have used these die to reload these bullets before so im inclined to say at this point that it is not your dies.

Blue68f100
June 16, 2012, 10:13 AM
I can already see the order being placed for the auto case feeder before the weekend is over.

I ordered the Brass Feeder a year later for mine and asked my self why did I wait so long. If your loading a lot this really speeds up the process. All you have to do is check all station and insert bullet. You will need extra primer fill tubes for sure if you go with the feeder.

With 9mm or any straight wall brass I would expect <0.005" in variation and that only due to bullets not be exact. If it's taking a lot of force to set you may not have enough flare for it to start easily.

rfwobbly
June 16, 2012, 10:21 AM
Progressive presses typically DO need a cartridge in each station to churn out consistent OALs. Additionally, all the stopping and starting is not helping the situation. Your lowest OAL variations will be when you use slow, steady press strokes and go all the way through 50 or more rounds. For the correct press speed, check out the Ultimate Reloader videos.

As such, a lot of OAL variation is due to your caution.... which from a safety standpoint is admirable. So as you get better acquainted with your press, as the "stop and go" calms down, then the wild variations will fix itself.

sean eady
June 16, 2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone. I am not resizing , priming or expanding in one step. It may be weird but I like to resize and expand , tumble brass again , then hand prime and have brass stored but ready to load. Durring a loading session I then charge , RCBS lock out , seat , then crimp.

I am using Rainier 9mm 115 grain HP's and the dies have been used for about 2 years on my single stage with .001 or .002 variations in the OAL of the same case and bullet combo. I have also (or I should say last night) tried both seating stems to see if there was a difference and I got the same results.

There is definatly a learning curve here and I feel a little time will make things better. As stated there was alot of stopping and starting.

Thanks again for everyones comments.

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on L.N.L AP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!